Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ioniq people, can any one explain why, this reviewer ran out of juice?
    Figures are strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Am I not seeing a link to something here?

Hahah, that's the one which was posted on Facebook group. I have not even read it, basically she HAVE NOT a clue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Water John wrote: »

Looks like she tried to do a 114 mile round trip on the motorway with just 1 hour on an SCP in the middle?

You won't do 114 miles / 183km at motorway speeds in the Ioniq. She arrived half way with 50 miles left in the tank and after the SCP had 61 miles? +11 miles

So that's about 103 miles / 165km range after the charge is taken into account. Which is about the very limit I would expect from the Ioniq at 120km/h.

I've said it before here. I see the Ioniq to have a range of 150km with about 20km in reserve at 120km/h speeds (93 miles motorway range with 10 miles backup). If I did 150km and there was an issue with my planned FCP stop then I wouldn't be proceeding to my alternate CP at 120km/h.

Also no mention of weather, climate, driving mode or even style. The article is terrible. She doesn't have a clue. She plans a 114 mile round trip when the car reports 107 mile range at the start and then only tops up by 11 miles of range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

How do people like this actually get employed in their roles. That is seriously bad for someone supposed to be reviewing a product.

No research into the product, no prep work at all it looks like. How the hell did something so bad get ok'd for print?

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

That some one could get paid and published. One worse than the other.
    Did she actually, tell any reader anything about the car?

If we hold a, worst review of the year for an EV competition, this is on the short list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

unkel wrote: »
    range similar to the 28kWh Ioniq. Which is a €25k on the road car here. Bigger, and far better specced.

Unkel you say 25k on the road. How did you manage that, in different places I seem to be getting between 26-28k on the road.

The salesmen seem poorly briefed to be honest with little knowledge of the VRT rebate etc and are all going on about the free ESB charge point without reference to the fact that they may soon be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Unkel you say 25k on the road. How did you manage that, in different places I seem to be getting between 26-28k on the road.

The salesmen seem poorly briefed to be honest with little knowledge of the VRT rebate etc and are all going on about the free ESB charge point without reference to the fact that they may soon be gone.

€25k after scrappage

Let's say he has good negotiation skills :]

Mine was a little over 26k, but I was not negotiating anything (not because I am rich, because I don't feel good doing it... my own fault) :]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Mope wrote: »
    Let's say he has good negotiation skills :]

Mine was a little over 26k, but I was not negotiating anything (not because I am rich, because I don't feel good doing it... my own fault) :]

Yea I have taken account of the scrappage. I'll have to talk tough cos I ain't rich either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but one of the more balanced reviews I've come across yet from someone who has changed to an EV.

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/motors/2017/0509/873841-life-in-the-electric-lane-no-more-fuel-bills/

Edit: just on EV's, not an Ioniq.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but one of the more balanced reviews I've come across yet from someone who has changed to an EV.

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/motors/2017/0509/873841-life-in-the-electric-lane-no-more-fuel-bills/

Edit: just on EV's, not an Ioniq.

True indeed, but personally long term , EVs will not be cheaper to run of course , so its a " here and now " argument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

BoatMad wrote: »
    True indeed, but personally long term , EVs will not be cheaper to run of course , so its a " here and now " argument

Au contraire...

They always will be than an ICE car. In future they might cost more to run than an ICE now, but at the same time ICE will be much more expensive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

grogi wrote: »
    Au contraire...

They always will be than an ICE car. In future they might cost more to run than an ICE now, but at the same time ICE will be much more expensive...

Taking a much more longer term view, once they have the bulk of us transitioned across (which admittedly may take some time yet), they have a serious revenue deficit to make up. Motor taxes will be applied and perhaps electricity will be levied.

There may be strategies to negate this (if FIT is in place and renewable options or storage batteries reach a cost effective level) - but that's something to consider at that point in time.

Well they put dye in the diesel. What can they do to split out the electricity used on an EV from the rest of use?
    One suspects there are already CS guys wracking their brains on that one.

Road tax is the obvious option. But the annual bill on a car would be massive, when we would see the present sort of Govn't take on one annual bill.

But then we have a €3K bill to register to go to Third Level.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

Looks like soon I'll be joining the EV family, despite no driveway done it'll still work for me until I get it.

white or black ioniq?? I'm leaning towards White....

Looks like soon I'll be joining the EV family, despite no driveway done it'll still work for me until I get it.

I preferred black until I started looking at the white version and eventually went for a white one, now I'm biased and think white is the nicest :P

I think all the colours are pretty decent although blue would be my last choice. I had notions about getting the front grill and other trim wrapped too but I've grown to really like the grey - The copper tones are probably the only thing that I would consider changing at this stage. But yeah Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

What are the wait times like?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Moreilly

I preferred black until I started looking at the white version and eventually went for a white one, now I'm biased and think white is the nicest :P

I think all the colours are pretty decent although blue would be my last choice. I had notions about getting the front grill and other trim wrapped too but I've grown to really like the grey - The copper tones are probably the only thing that I would consider changing at this stage. But yeah Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

What are the wait times like?

I ordered a black one last month for a late june delivery, i should have it for the first two weeks in july for 172 plate, white was available when i ordered but i opted to wait for the black :)

I was and and now White has caught my eye.

White available now, black next month other October

• Advertisement

This was the car for the 24 hour test :)

TjgdzW4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,750 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You won't do 114 miles / 183km at motorway speeds in the Ioniq.

And most people do 80-85 mph on the motorways in the UK, which is 130-140km/h. You certainly won't do 183km in the Ioniq at those speeds!

Stands out nicely!

Should I wait and get 172 reg you reckon.....

Stands out nicely!

Even if i went with the white, at this stage if i was you id wait for 172, it's only a few weeks away.....

Unkel you say 25k on the road. How did you manage that.

Contacted all Hyundai dealers in Ireland. Negotiated / played a few off against each other. And bought the car, all in the one day - the day after my test drive :)

And my 14 year old scrappage car really was only worth scrappage. NCT was almost out and the car needed work to get it through. Coolant leak, check engine light on most of the time and a nasty electrics issue with the rear lights. I fear the car is no longer on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭woppers

I dropped the black Ioniq back to the dealer today. The test drive wasn't without its issues but the issues were 100% my own stupidity. I can't blame the car at all so I put a €500 deposit down on a white one :)

It's a fantastic car. 5 year unlimited mileage warranty, 5 years free servicing and 5 years free AA roadside assistance all for the same price as my monthly fuel bill alone!!!! 😁

I had a choice of silver, black and white. I like the look of the white and it's €600 cheaper than the other colours. I only noticed today that it has white alloys too.

It should be ready in 10 working days :D

Stands out nicely!

I honestly don't think it makes a difference value wise if you go for a 171 or a 172. When it comes to second hand cars it's just the year that's taken into account.

3 separate dealers told me that and I wasn't trying to buy anything off 2 of them. One of them is a good friend.

It all depends on your situation. If you wait for the 172 reg you may be unlucky and miss out in the grant insensitive and free charger. Supposedly they're only available for the first 2000 EV's and the count is above 1800 at the moment and they're selling fast I hear.

In my case it wasn't worth waiting for another 6 weeks as I would have had to spend another €600 on diesel so it makes sense for me to just hit onboard asap. Also, whether it's a 171 or 172 is irrelevant in my view because it's a new car to me either way :)

Well done woppers!
    What was the final push to get the car?
    What is your missis saying? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Well wear. A great choice, if I was buying right now this instant, they are the obvious choice.

• Advertisement

It is no longer news to anyone roughly how much kW IONIQ makes for people who are following IONIQ thread, but my avg kWh for the 2500k trip (the A) was 12.2kW this morning when I finally decided to zero it out.
    Thats very mixed driving and pretty much no city driving included as my commute is M50, M1, few KM in Tallaght. these 2.5k KM include 1220 KM of Dingle - Ring Of Kerry - Cliffs Of Moher.

I am above 4000km on ODO since 11th of April.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Well wear. A great choice, if I was buying right now this instant, they are the obvious choice.

Thanks Elm! :) I've been on this thread for a month or more now and I have absolutely no idea what well wear means :) I'm assuming that it's just another version of good luck or something like that.
    Mope wrote: »
    Well done woppers!
    What was the final push to get the car?
    What is your missis saying? :D

Ha ha! 😁 the wife is on board ☺️ she has seen how much I've spent on diesel and servicing old cars over the past 8 years so she can't argue with the figures.

I'm like you Mope, I'm not rich but I just couldn't be bothered haggling. But 3 friend of mine said I should ring around for prices to see what offers I could get. So I did and I was glad I did.

The dealer originally wanted to give it to me for €29,000 with no trade in. I rang around by doing so I ended up getting the car for €27,795 + the Diamond Brite car protection thrown in for free which is worth €300.

I'm paying 7k up from so the repayments will be €405 a month for 5 years. My diesel bill is €400 a month. It's a no brainier.

I drove the Audi for the first time in a week. I love it but Jaysus, it felt like I was driving a tractor after I had the Ioniq for a week. It's funny, I thought I'd really miss the Audi but now I think I've made my peace with the fact I'll be saying goodbye to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭photosmart

Perhaps this question is already answered however here goes

I have to commute from carlow to dublin and back. Thats a round trip of
    110 miles or 160 km

could ioniq or any other ev do it on a single charge?

@photosmart: Short answer = yes. If you trawl through the thread, you'll find different reports - but 200km seems to be very much achievable (and potentially more).

photosmart wrote: »

110 miles or 160 km

110 miles is almost 180km?

The Ioniq will do 160km at motorway speeds but 180km is pushing it.

Not sure about your route but you might make it if you stick to 110km/h on the M9/M7 and from Naas then max 100km/h. Same on the way back.

110 miles or 160 km

110 miles is almost 180km?

The Ioniq will do 160km at motorway speeds but 180km is pushing it.

Not sure about your route but you might make it if you stick to 110km/h on the M9/M7 and from Naas then max 100km/h. Same on the way back.

You're right thelikelylad. 110 miles == 177km

I had it out for a test drive for 1 week and I was averaging 180-200km. That's with headlights on, climate control on, radio on, sometimes the wipers on while doing 120-130kmph on the motorway but I never had to worry about a return journey because I can charge in work.

I don't have to adjust my driving style at all because of the charging in work. Also, on my way to Dublin I use around 65% of the battery where as on the way home I use around 55% battery.

@unkel pointed out that this could be due to the northerly headwinds. It's something to consider.

Get one out for a week long test drive and test every possible driving style and driving condition. Also make sure you can charge somewhere on route just incase.

If you be conservative and drive at 80-100km on the first day you may be able to do that consumption. You could push it a little harder every day to find the sweet spot. But remember, on a really cold day the battery won't hold as much charge so you may get caught short on days like this.

If you're doing that drive on the first day, stick to eco mode to see how it goes. It's not the most exciting driving mode but it prevents you from wasting energy by accelerating fast in sport mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

woppers wrote: »
    Thanks Elm! :) I've been on this thread for a month or more now and I have absolutely no idea what well wear means :) I'm assuming that it's just another version of good luck or something like that.

Its a throwback to the old days (:D) of driving petrol and diesel cars. They are known to give trouble because they have a lot of wearing parts and so "well wear" means "I wish you the best of luck with the wear on your car".

It doesn't apply so much in an EV... unless you include the tyres! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=well%20wear

I drove the Audi for the first time in a week. I love it but Jaysus, it felt like I was driving a tractor after I had the Ioniq for a week. It's funny, I thought I'd really miss the Audi but now I think I've made my peace with the fact I'll be saying goodbye to it

Exactly my feeling when I had to take company car for weekend (132 WV Passat Diesel Auto DSG, which has enough kick too). Felt Soooo sluggish and kept noticing me pushing accelerator looking for power so often! I can't see me going back to Diesel or Petrol car :cool: 1 month of owning an EV and driving even a powerful diesel is OMG how bad :]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭photosmart

thanks for replies - i think on balance im on the threshold which means its a no no as you always gotta keep something over just in case. maybe next iteration or golf ev might be option

cheers

P

So I'll be relying on public charge points and have no idea about what each means apart from fast charge. Can someone detail which are compatible and how long to charge at each?

• Advertisement

So I'll be relying on public charge points and have no idea about what each means apart from fast charge. Can someone detail which are compatible and how long to charge at each?

On the ecars Charge Point Map select:

The blue "Combo (CSS)" for fast charge points (FCP).
    The green "Type 2 <23kW" for all "slow"/standard charge points (SCP). - You use the lead in the boot of the car for these.

Blue Combo (CSS) Points: ~20-35mins
    Green Type 2 Points: ~4 hours

You can select the yellow "Other" points too if you want, they are mostly in hotels etc. They are probably mostly around 8 hours charge time.

You can also select the blue "Fast AC (43kW+)" if you want, I would only use these if you are stuck as these are the equivalent of FCPs for Zoe's who can charge a lot faster from these than the Ioniq. It'll be around 4 hours for a charge on these too, same as the Green Type 2 points.

My typical trips are 12 or 13kWh per 100km. Always in sport mode, driving it hard and not sticking to 120km/h on motorways. So that's a typical range for me of about 215-235km

Now a lot of my mileage is short local trips in the Dublin area, something an EV is good at. And I do have regen 2 as standard (1 on motorway) and use 3 now and then for smooth driving / 1 pedal driving. I have seen reports of the Ioniq driven at a constant real speed of 110km/h so no hypermiling or regen possible (not winter) getting a range of 220km, but I wouldn't count on it.

Finally did get the "light front" issue that Mope mentioned at the weekend. Strong winds and a gush of wind caught the car from the side. I was taken aback about how it affected the car, more than I expected. And I was't even going that fast. It felt like a lot lighter than it's 1500+ kg plus 5 people and stuff, so the guts of 2 tonnes.

thanks for replies - i think on balance im on the threshold which means its a no no as you always gotta keep something over just in case. maybe next iteration or golf ev might be option

cheers

P

Why don't you take the car out on a test drive and simulate the commute?

+1

Unless the weather is brutal / winter, you should easily get 177km motorway driving, depending on your speed of course. Try it. Someone with a very long daily commute (but within the range of the EV) is the ideal current EV owner. They will save themselves a fortune. Your commute will cost you about €0.80 each way (about €6 in a frugal diesel). That's a saving of €2,500 per year in fuel for your commute alone...

It looks great in White but the bumper is a hideous eyesore with white, it's bad enough with any colour. Get it painted !

cheers

P

Why don't you investigate the 40kW Renault Zoe? I've no idea what they are like to drive but they're claiming a 400km range.

Probably 300km would be more realistic buy it'll cover your need. Worth a test drive anyhow.

I called Auto Image in Carlow and they never called me back !!! I'd love a test drive.

I'd go for a day trip to the West in it no bother with 40 Kwh.

Even given 16 Kwh/100 Kms = 250 Kms which I'm sure is achievable in the Zoe at 100-110 Kph. That's pretty damn respectable. Probably 280 Kms at slower speeds.

This is from my part of Kildare 5K from Carlow Town to the Cliffs Of Moher all on one charge !!! V 110 Kms in the 24 Kwh Leaf !

+ Zoe has that wonderful 44 Kw AC charger, but you got to make sure it's got the 44 Kw charger if you decide to buy and not the 22 Kw only which would be a real pain.

I could stop in Ennis for lunch and get a full 22 Kwh of energy !

Zoe is really an under rated car especially now and worst of all is Renault will still refuse to advertise it because they deem the cost of advertisement V sales to be too low to justify it but if they don't make people aware of the car then people won't buy it.

Can do no harm to test drive the Zoe too. Range in winter (Norway) is no better than Ioniq, but in our climate it should be significantly better

That said, owning a Zoe will not cost you a cent less than owning an Ioniq (and that is if you can get a substantial discount on the Zoe). And then you would be commuting the guts of 1000km per week in what is basically a Micra, a small spartan supermini. Maybe I'm biased, but I'd prefer to spend that kind of time in an Ioniq :p

The blue "Combo (CSS)" for fast charge points (FCP).

I only see two of these in north Dublin, by the airport.... I'm sure that's sufficient for me... I hope it is!

What's the story with slow charging in town and leaving car as it charges?

Called Auto Image in Carlow again,

Arranging test drive they should have a 40 Kwh coming soon. I'll probably test drive it in two weeks. Can't wait.

I won't be buying one but anyone in the market for a Super mini that costs very little to "run" and is clocking up a lot of mileage should seriously consider the 40 Kwh especially with the added bonus of the brilliant AC charger.

Range over faster charging, Zoe V Ioniq, yes the Ioniq is a more modern car with more toys but being detached from the public charging network as much as possible is always a good thing.

As I said the Ioniq can do 300 Kms in a day with a 30 min fast charge, the Zoe could do 500 Kms with 1 hr fast charging or 2 hrs on a 22 KW slow charge point. That's brilliant if you ask me and with gentler driving could probably push that to 550-600 Kms.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement