Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,750 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I know you are a fan of slow public charging, but for the life of me I don't understand it. Sure the Zoe is a lot faster than other cars on the slow charger (3 times as fast as Ioniq and 6 times as fast as the Leaf 3.3kW) but 1 hour or 2 hours charging :eek:

I have no intention to ever do that unless I have no other choice. I'd like public charging to be limited to a few minutes, not a few hours. Very quick shop, quick bite to eat, do a few emails, browse the phone. I don't mind wasting a few minutes. And for your hour long wait, you gain 22kWh max in the Zoe. Which is worth about €1.50 at night rates. Big saving, not. I couldn't be bothered getting my cable out and plugging it in both ends, only to have to put it all away after. Obviously I don't mind slow charging at home when I'm in my bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

44kW AC charger?! What kind of magic is that?! :D

Does that mean if IONIQ comes up to FCP 44kW or 52kW or what ever it is and there is Zoe charging via AC Type 2 - IONIQ would not get any charge from it via CSS?

No, you can still use either CHAdeMO or CCS while someone is using the AC charger on one of the triple head FCPs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

unkel wrote: »
    I know you are a fan of slow public charging, but for the life of me I don't understand it. Sure the Zoe is a lot faster than other cars on the slow charger (3 times as fast as Ioniq and 6 times as fast as the Leaf 3.3kW) but 1 hour or 2 hours charging :eek:

I have no intention to ever do that unless I have no other choice. I'd like public charging to be limited to a few minutes, not a few hours. Very quick shop, quick bite to eat, do a few emails, browse the phone. I don't mind wasting a few minutes. And for your hour long wait, you gain 22kWh max in the Zoe. Which is worth about €1.50 at night rates. Big saving, not. I couldn't be bothered getting my cable out and plugging it in both ends, only to have to put it all away after. Obviously I don't mind slow charging at home when I'm in my bed.

For me the dream is to ultimately have multiple FCPs in one particular location like Tesla Superchargers :rolleyes: That said I'm all for faster SCP charging times too though - SCPs definitely have their use cases. Pro's with SCPs from my experience so far:

- Uptime. SCPs seem to be a lot more reliable. I think most FCPs on the motorway should have an accompanying SCP as a 'last resort' backup.
    - Choice. Much more choice in far more convenient locations (depending on what you're doing of course) ie. closer to city/town centres and places that I would probably be spending an hour or 2 easily anyway.
    - Charging time. As contradictory as it may sound, with an SCP I don't have to worry about moving the car after 25-30mins. FCPs are great if I'm in a hurry and looking to leave as soon as I'm charged but If I wanna go for a meal and maybe pop into a shop then a 1-2 hour charge time would be perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

For me the dream is to ultimately have multiple FCPs in one particular location like Tesla Superchargers :rolleyes: That said I'm all for faster SCP charging times too though - SCPs definitely have their use cases. Pro's with SCPs from my experience so far:

- Uptime. SCPs seem to be a lot more reliable. I think most FCPs on the motorway should have an accompanying SCP as a 'last resort' backup.
    - Choice. Much more choice in far more convenient locations (depending on what you're doing of course) ie. closer to city/town centres and places that I would probably be spending an hour or 2 easily anyway.
    - Charging time. As contradictory as it may sound, with an SCP I don't have to worry about moving the car after 25-30mins. FCPs are great if I'm in a hurry and looking to leave as soon as I'm charged but If I wanna go for a meal and maybe pop into a shop then a 1-2 hour charge time would be perfect.
    See I said that a while ago on here and I was laughed at by several others.

Sometimes it's not all about FCP speed.
    A faster AC slow charge speed is often for me the difference between no enroute charging needed and a half hour stop enroute (with more sometimes due to queuing). I know I can go 100-110km from my house to an area served by an SCP, and if I am there for 3-3.5 hours, come back to a fully charged car. A film and a meal after would normally be at least that.
    As would a shopping trip (Dundrum SC and the likes, not a food shop)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The blue "Combo (CSS)" for fast charge points (FCP).

I only see two of these in north Dublin, by the airport.... I'm sure that's sufficient for me... I hope it is!

What's the story with slow charging in town and leaving car as it charges?
    1. Dublin Airport Garage
    2. Topaz N32, Clonshaugh
    3. Topaz, Finglas Road, Glasnevin

Probably more. I use Glasnevin and N32 when required.

kceire wrote: »
    Topaz, Finglas Road, Glasnevin

Not CCS :(

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

kceire wrote: »
    Topaz, Finglas Road, Glasnevin

Not CCS :(
    what does this mean?
    Topaz, Finglas Road, Glasnevin should be sufficient...
    also, What's the story with slow charging in town and leaving car as it charges?
    Thanks Lads, this thread has been epic for information and a help in deciding to take the plunge!

what does this mean?
    Topaz, Finglas Road, Glasnevin should be sufficient...
    also, What's the story with slow charging in town and leaving car as it charges?
    Thanks Lads, this thread has been epic for information and a help in deciding to take the plunge!

CCS is the connector that the Ioniq uses to fast charge.

The fast charger in Glasnevin does not have a CCS connector so you can't charge an Ioniq there. With the ecars charge point map just select "Combo (CCS)" to view all Ioniq friendly fast charge points.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    A faster AC slow charge speed is often for me the difference between no enroute charging needed and a half hour stop enroute (with more sometimes due to queuing)

Ah, of course. If you need charging to get home, why not charge in a convenient place while you are out in the area anyway. Sure that makes sense. But this is the Ioniq thread, range 200km, so that is only needed on long trips. Who of us drives over 200km every day / most days, that's 70k km per year, not even cros does that :D
    If I wanna go for a meal and maybe pop into a shop then a 1-2 hour charge time would be perfect.

Again if you need it to get home, sure. But I would never do it for the sake of charging. One hour in the Ioniq gets you €0.50 worth of electricity. A lot of effort getting your cable out for almost zero benefit.

CCS is the connector that the Ioniq uses to fast charge.

The fast charger in Glasnevin does not have a CCS connector so you can't charge an Ioniq there. With the ecars charge point map just select "Combo (CCS)" to view all Ioniq friendly fast charge points.

And in case CarefulNow! is unfamiliar with that map, here it is:

Linky

Just leave CCS ticked (untick everything else) and you get a good idea. You can see in real time if a charger is down, if it is occupied, etc. It's reasonably accurate, but unfortunately we can not fully rely on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭woppers

Has anybody got any information regarding flashing the the standard charges that ESB supply to your home?

How easy or difficult is it to flash the charging unit? I am going to supply my own cable for the install so should I supply 10 square to future proof the the installation just in case more powerful chargers become available?

Or is 6 square sufficient? I know I could pay money and get a 32 amp charger installed. I was talking to a guy who installs them and just have a conservative estimate he said it would probably cost between 600 and 650 to upgrade to the bigger charger which I'm not really willing to pay if I can easily flash the 16 amp charger that the ESB supplies.

Also I don't want to have wires running down the front or side of my house so if I'm burying the cable, do I have to bury it in some sort of conduit?

Ah, of course. If you need charging to get home, why not charge in a convenient place while you are out in the area anyway. Sure that makes sense. But this is the Ioniq thread, range 200km, so that is only needed on long trips. Who of us drives over 200km every day / most days, that's 70k km per year, not even cros does that :D

Again if you need it to get home, sure. But I would never do it for the sake of charging. One hour in the Ioniq gets you €0.50 worth of electricity. A lot of effort getting your cable out for almost zero benefit.
    I would do 50k-60k per year.
    It's hard to know because the leaf is combining 2/3/4 ICE cars and I wouldnt have counted my annual miles before. But I have had the leaf 6 months and done 33k km. My range is not 200km more like 100-120 lol

Who of us drives over 200km every day / most days, that's 70k km per year, not even cros does that :D

Unfortunately I do :( 242km a day but I can charge in work so it takes the pressure off me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

woppers wrote: »
    I am going to supply my own cable for the install so should I supply 10 square to future proof the the installation just in case more powerful chargers become available?

Or is 6 square sufficient?

6sqmm is sufficient for 32A unless its a long run (20m+). I put in 10sqmm for that reason. No harm in using 10sqmm either way if you are willing to pay for it. Better to have it over spec'd than under.

I know I could pay money and get a 32 amp charger installed. I was talking to a guy who installs them and just have a conservative estimate he said it would probably cost between 600 and 650 to upgrade to the bigger charger which I'm not really willing to pay if I can easily flash the 16 amp charger that the ESB supplies.

A charge point is <€450 to buy new depending on what make you buy. Assuming you already have the cables in place to handle it it is just a case of taking one off the wall and mounting the other one and also replacing the RCBO in the consumer unit to 40A. All in, should be less than €500 to do that later.

Flashing the eCars ones is obviously the way to go in your case so the cost will just be the price of the upgraded RCBO (<€50) and a sparks time to swap it out.

Also I don't want to have wires running down the front or side of my house so if I'm burying the cable, do I have to bury it in some sort of conduit?

If its outside it should be in conduit or it should be SWA cable.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I do :( 242km a day but I can charge in work so it takes the pressure off me.

That's brilliant. You will be the biggest money saver of us all :D

Provided your work charging is free, your commute will cost you just about €1.20 in electricity per day :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Or by Ioniq and other EV owners who rent or live in an apartment and can't get a charger installed.

Sure they could drive to an FCP every few days and sit there for 30 minutes wasting time. Or they could plug in over night at a roadside SCP near their home.

Truth is we need a lot more of both public SCP's and triple standard FCP's

They both have their different uses and different users.

bk wrote: »
    Or by Ioniq and other EV owners who rent or live in an apartment and can't get a charger installed.

Sure they could drive to an FCP every few days and sit there for 30 minutes wasting time. Or they could plug in over night at a roadside SCP near their home.

Truth is we need a lot more of both public SCP's and triple standard FCP's

They both have their different uses and different users.
    And also multi FCP per site.

Unfortunately until the CER standoff with the ESB is sorted we are not going to see any further progress. Moreso, I believe that we may see privately installed SCP units before any more Ecars ones.

If I were a hotel owner I would install a slow charger at my hotel. For very little outlay you have given yourself the edge in your area. I stay quite regularly at the Louis Fitzgerald in Dublin in preference to most other hotels just because they have a SCP on site.

So you'd rather spend more time on a fast charge point than get a top up over a meal or some shopping or both ?

So you regularly drive somewhere far and straight away turn back ?

The more you get on AC the less you need to wait at DC and you may not even need to visit Dc at all, with AC you plug in and go about your business on DC you have to hang around.

bk wrote: »

Very few people here would recommend anyone buy an EV if they don't have home charging. It is a problem that needs sorting I agree.

Depending on a local public SCP is not the solution though.

I guess you agree as you don't own an EV yet, bk :p

• Advertisement

The only solution for apartment owners will be with DC and fast DC not the 45-65 Kw we have today.

Management companies will never ever agree to multiple charge points for everyone and the residents will never agree for a communal solution especially when probably the majority of people won't own a car , they won't want to pay for someone else's electricity.

Work charging would also help.

So you'd rather spend more time on a fast charge point than get a top up over a meal or some shopping or both ?

Top up is the problem. It's feck all use unless you need it to get home. Even a 1.5 hour meal will only give me 10kWh. Can't be bothered getting my cable out for that, while a 10 minute stop at a fast charger would give me same (and I don't have to get my cable out and put it back after)
    So you regularly drive somewhere far and straight away turn back ?

I rarely drive somewhere further than 200km return. And if I did, I wouldn't want to be stuck somewhere charging for 4 hours.

The only solution for apartment owners will be with DC and fast DC not the 45-65 Kw we have today.

No way, we agree? :D

Just like none of us have petrol / diesel stations at home and we've managed fine for the last 130 years. A 5-10minute fill up at your local 400kW FCP is where it needs to be at in the next few years.

That's brilliant. You will be the biggest money saver of us all :D

Provided your work charging is free, your commute will cost you just about €1.20 in electricity per day :D

It's free in work thank god :) Who is the cheapest on the market for electricity these days?

I'm currently with Electric Ireland on a day time meter but will be changing to a night rate meter. From the quick research I did, I think that Energia seems to have the best rates.

Is this correct?

KCross wrote: »
    6sqmm is sufficient for 32A unless its a long run (20m+). I put in 10sqmm for that reason. No harm in using 10sqmm either way if you are willing to pay for it. Better to have it over spec'd than under.

A charge point is <€450 to buy new depending on what make you buy. Assuming you already have the cables in place to handle it it is just a case of taking one off the wall and mounting the other one and also replacing the RCBO in the consumer unit to 40A. All in, should be less than €500 to do that later.

Flashing the eCars ones is obviously the way to go in your case so the cost will just be the price of the upgraded RCBO (<€50) and a sparks time to swap it out.

If its outside it should be in conduit or it should be SWA cable.

Thanks man! :) I just stepped out the shortest distance. I'm just around 20 meters. Should I go for 10 sq?

Do you know if there are any flashing instructions on boards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thanks man! :) I just stepped out the shortest distance. I'm just around 20 meters. Should I go for 10 sq?

Do you know if there are any flashing instructions on boards?

In that case, go 10sqmm to be sure.

No experience on the flashing of the eCars unit, I have a Rolec myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

It's free in work thank god :) Who is the cheapest on the market for electricity these days?

I'm currently with Electric Ireland on a day time meter but will be changing to a night rate meter. From the quick research I did, I think that Energia seems to have the best rates.

Is this correct?

Energia are doing an offer through switcher.ie for 33% off.

The night rate is 6.?c/Kw/h

KCross wrote: »
    In that case, go 10sqmm to be sure.

No experience on the flashing of the eCars unit, I have a Rolec myself.

Thanks Kinross! :)
    Energia are doing an offer through switcher.ie for 33% off.

The night rate is 6.?c/Kw/h

Wow! That's cheap. I was on the Energia website a few weeks ago and it said 8.? cent for the night rate. I'll check out switcher and bonkers.

Wow! That's cheap. I was on the Energia website a few weeks ago and it said 8.? cent for the night rate. I'll check out switcher and bonkers.

Yeah the 33% is a one year offer. Still a year is a year and if it covers your driving you'd be mental not to. I don't have the night meter myself but even the day rate is good at that discount.

I checked if the one year contract, which has a 50e exit charge, would be affected by a change over to day/night and was told it only applies if I change supplier.

So even if I don't get the eCar I'll save money on my normal electricity.

And the good news is that the install of a night meter is completely free of charge. But your standing charge will go up and so will your day rate. Still very much worth it if you charge your EV at night at home!

FWIW I checked last week and for me too, Energia was by far the cheapest. Switching myself soon too.

• Advertisement

Damn you autocorrect! :D thanks KCross!

They're rates are almost exactly the same as Bord Gais, I'm not changing anyway !

17.4 day 8.3 night.

They're rates are almost exactly the same as Bord Gais, I'm not changing anyway !

17.4 day 8.3 night.

No there are not - Energia rates (33% discount on their standard rates)

13.88 cent per kWh (day rate)
    6.65 cent per kWh (night rate)

Both incl. VAT and by far the cheapest in the market. You rates seem very high, not sure who you are with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Thinking of ordering a Premium SE.... Seems there's not much in the way of optional extras, and am I right they you can't get full leather seats?

How big is the backlog for delivery? Anybody ordered recently?

Also, anybody bought in the North? Seems the on-the-job price is around 31.5K euro, and could also be brought in with no VRT, right?

Both incl. VAT and by far the cheapest in the market. You rates seem very high, not sure who you are with.

Link ?

Thinking of ordering a Premium SE.... Seems there's not much in the way of optional extras, and am I right they you can't get full leather seats?

How big is the backlog for delivery? Anybody ordered recently?

Also, anybody bought in the North? Seems the on-the-job price is around 31.5K euro, and could also be brought in with no VRT, right?

I ordered a white one last night :) €27,795. No trade in. There's is no VRT on them when sold in Ireland but I don't know about them being brought in from the north.

I had the choice between silver, black and white. I chose white for 2 reasons.

1. I think it looks really good in white.
    2. White was €595 cheaper than every other colour.

There's a waiting list until October for a lot of the other colours.

As far as leather seats etc, I wasn't offered a list of extras to choose from. As far as I was told, there is only one model with all of the extras included as standard.

I may be corrected on this as I am not 100% sure if this is correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I ordered a white one last night :) €27,795. No trade in. There's is no VRT on them when sold in Ireland but I don't know about them being brought in from the north.

As far as leather seats etc, I wasn't offered a list of extras to choose from. As far as I was told, there is only one model with all of the extras included as standard.

Nice one woppers. I've always bought white cars, a hangover from my days living in Japan!

How long until you get the keys?

Link ?

https://switcher.ie/gas-electricity/comparison/selected-plan/

Nice one woppers. I've always bought white cars, a hangover from my days living in Japan!

How long until you get the keys?

Thanks bro! 😠10 days hopefully :) I think they're working days :(

• Advertisement

I see no reference, on the energia site to 33% off standard prices on energia making it as cheap as Bord Gais.

I see no reference, on the energia site to 33% off standard prices on energia making it as cheap as Bord Gais.

If you go through the switching comparison it will come up

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Oh... Oh my oh how I like this car :)
    One day worth of driving and still 45km left in tank. No where I'd save electricity while driving, regural driving.
    Lusk, Tallaght. Tallaght, Lusk.
    Lusk, Pheonix park. Phoenix park, Lusk.
    Lusk, 3 Arena. 3 Arena, Lusk.
    188km with avg 55 (it dropped to almost 45 as was waiting for wife from take that with power on)

Love the car!

Sorry man, I did not realise the link wouldn't display the information.. 
    417561.png

The discount = the 17 , something day and 8. something night.

Mope wrote: »
    Love the car!

Get it into sport mode then :p

• Advertisement

Get it into sport mode then :p

I've been heavy on the sport mode this week.. 14kWh/100km territory :(:(

Crap, a range of only 200km :)

First thing I do when I switch it on is stick it in sport. But sure enough if I needed to go long distance pushing the range with no convenient charging, I'd take it handy. I find the car very lacklustre in normal mode though. I haven't tested it myself but the official acceleration figures between normal and sport couldn't possibly be so close together in reality.

Have you tested the 0-100kph time actually? It's officially 9.9 seconds right?

I remember seeing this before:

Linky

0-50km/h accurately timed at 3.3s, by no means earth shattering, but about the same as a modern petrol turbo hot hatch. And without having to wreck the clutch :p

After 50km/h the hot hatch (at boost, with full torque similar to the EV, but with nearly twice the power) would be quicker though as the EV runs out of power. Still tested 0-100km/h in 9.7s is not slow. It's always nice to see that the actually tested acceleration and top speed are better than the official figures :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Very few people here would recommend anyone buy an EV if they don't have home charging. It is a problem that needs sorting I agree.

Depending on a local public SCP is not the solution though.

I guess you agree as you don't own an EV yet, bk :p

Actually I live in an apartment so the SCP's are certainly important to me.

Though as I've my own dedicated space in an underground car park, I suspect I will be able to get the management company to allow it, might just take a year or two of arguing with them!

In terms of FCP's when it finally comes time for me to pull the trigger on an EV, I hope that it will have enough range that I never have to use a FCP. Just destination SCP's when travelling around the country (parents house, hotels, etc.).

I totally agree that FCP's need to improve too, but SCP's are important too IMO.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement