Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

The management company isn't you greatest worry it's the residents, they will never agree to paying higher fees for someone else's electricity especially if they don't drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,750 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

They will be forced to by new building regs.

Most people wouldn't pay a cent for anything that doesn't directly benefit them. If people were left to voluntarily pay taxes, they'd pay nothing and the poor would die in the street from hunger. Thankfully we have a state that can force certain matters upon its residents :)

What building regulations ? and will it apply to existing apartments ? if not it's not much use.

What building regulations ? and will it apply to existing apartments ? if not it's not much use.

LOL, are you serious? For new developments only obviously. Building regulations are never retro-implemented.

What building regulations ? as far as I was aware they will provided for a minuscule amount of electric cars.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

unkel wrote: »
    They will be forced to by new building regs.

Most people wouldn't pay a cent for anything that doesn't directly benefit them. If people were left to voluntarily pay taxes, they'd pay nothing and the poor would die in the street from hunger. Thankfully we have a state that can force certain matters upon its residents :)
    LOL, are you serious? For new developments only obviously. Building regulations are never retro-implemented.

What Building Regulations are these Unkel?
    I've heard nothing about what Regulation they could possibly come under, and i've a vested interest ;)

Not current ones, but future ones. Hence my use of "will" and "new" :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not current ones, but future ones. Hence my use of "will" and "new" :)

Hopefully.

I'm involved in the Building Regulation field so I'm usually the first to know about new amendments to current Regulations. We haven't seen anything just yet for EV's, maybe a Planning policy might force all new developments to implement EV provisions, but nothing yet.

I have been asked by a few developers what can they do for EV's and ive asked them to run a 32a cable from the fuse board to a switch externally with the required RCBO etc so that if a home owner decides to buy an EV, they only have to wire up the charge point.

Some have embraced it, many haven't.

We are edging towards near zero buildings regulations, and 2020 will be crucial year with regards to energy use and new buildings so who knows what may change going forward.

Exciting times alright :)

A Stanford professor has just published an article in which he claims there will be no more ICE vehicles made by 2025. No cars, no buses, no trucks, nothing. Not anywhere in the world :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Exciting times alright :)

A Stanford professor has just published an article in which he claims there will be no more ICE vehicles made by 2025. No cars, no buses, no trucks, nothing. Not anywhere in the world :eek:

Thats dillusional. Even if everyone embraced it they wouldn't be able to manufacture enough to completely replace ICE in that time not to mind buses and trucks as well.... he is using too many rolled up Benjamin's! :)

• Advertisement

Yeah if he had said 2035 I might have believed him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

KCross wrote: »
    Thats dillusional. Even if everyone embraced it they wouldn't be able to manufacture enough to completely replace ICE in that time not to mind buses and trucks as well.... he is using too many rolled up Benjamin's! :)

What if self driving cars become the norm ?

and , we , in the near future only need a fraction of current automotive stock to transport us on demand ?

So in future no personally owned idle cars parked anywhere for more than 5 minutes.

It's similar to the fact that today 75 % of the planes in the world are always flying at any time and not parked up unused.
    Then the Volume of cars required will drop like a stone and a bonus would be all the car parking could be refurbished into homes and leisure facilities .

Tesla have already dropped their bus plans because they reckon nobody will want to take a bus, when instead they will be able to summon a self driving car over their handheld supercomputer (iPhone) DOOR to DOOR for less .

I think ice cars will be just like today's Horses ,surpassed , and resigned to be only a hobby for the likes of racing and nostalgic hobbies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

I've just realised that the Hyundai Ioniq thread is now the boards goto thread on all things CURRENT(no pun intended) EV related latest trend .

I think it's time for a clean Ioniq thread .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Bigus wrote: »
    I've just realised that the Hyundai Ioniq thread is now the boards goto thread on all things CURRENT(no pun intended) EV related latest trend .

I think it's time for a clean Ioniq thread .

That Topaz ? or just pressure washer at home in the front garden ?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

178 pages... I'd say it could be well under 70 if all BS cleaned ;]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

KCross wrote: »

within 20 years of the introduction of the diesel locomotive, all steam locos were defunct and withdrawn

things can change very fast , when the advantage are there to see by all.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The management company isn't you greatest worry it's the residents, they will never agree to paying higher fees for someone else's electricity especially if they don't drive.

In my case it should be possible to run it straight from my meter, it is within 15 meters of my parking space, with easily accessible cabling overhead. Should hopefully reduce any objections.

Bigus wrote: »
    What if self driving cars become the norm ?

and , we , in the near future only need a fraction of current automotive stock to transport us on demand ?

So in future no personally owned idle cars parked anywhere for more than 5 minutes.

It's similar to the fact that today 75 % of the planes in the world are always flying at any time and not parked up unused.
    Then the Volume of cars required will drop like a stone and a bonus would be all the car parking could be refurbished into homes and leisure facilities .

Tesla have already dropped their bus plans because they reckon nobody will want to take a bus, when instead they will be able to summon a self driving car over their handheld supercomputer (iPhone) DOOR to DOOR for less .

I think ice cars will be just like today's Horses ,surpassed , and resigned to be only a hobby for the likes of racing and nostalgic hobbies.

extremely US centric perspective , where public transport is seen as something poor people take

The European perspective is to remove cars ( all forms ) from urban centres. self driving or not . because cars cannot move large volumes of people in contested cities and European cities unlike USA ones, are not designed to accommodate cars

Therefore the future of urban transport requirements will not be based around a car. this is already the case as car ownership in cities is falling

The fact is , that car sharing exists today , its called uber , the only difference between uber and an autonomous car, is the guy behind the wheel , the advantage to the user is NO different whether a AMD64 drives him to his destination or a guy named " fred" does so.

Dublin for example could not solve its commuter issues by using self driving cars, the roads would just be as congested as they are today. Hence its NOT the future of urban commuting

Outside of urban areas, the whole car sharing idea is complete nonsense as the density of population in ireland means its a daft unworkable concept

" Siri, I need to take johnny to the hospital , he's bumped his head"

" Ive requested a car, its leaving from its last destination 30 Kms away, and will be with you in 40 minutes "

" Siri WTF"

This leaves aside the whole issue that cars are as much " lifestyle" purchases as they are merely transport objects.

I dont see any future in so-called autonomous car sharing in European urban centres and even less so outside them

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

BoatMad wrote: »
    extremely US centric perspective , where public transport is seen as something poor people take

Agreed, largely true with the exception of NYC and very sad. I took the quiet good public transport in Atlanta and people I meet there thought I was mad. One person honestly asked me, "were you not stabbed!".
    The European perspective is to remove cars ( all forms ) from urban centres. self driving or not . because cars cannot move large volumes of people in contested cities and European cities unlike USA ones, are not designed to accommodate cars

Yup, true, Medieval streets simply don't have the space for cars for the most part.
    Therefore the future of urban transport requirements will not be based around a car. this is already the case as car ownership in cities is falling

Very true for European cities and surprisingly even starting to happen in the US!
    The fact is , that car sharing exists today , its called uber , the only difference between uber and an autonomous car, is the guy behind the wheel , the advantage to the user is NO different whether a AMD64 drives him to his destination or a guy named " fred" does so.

The difference is cost. It is estimated that the cost per mile to a user of a self driving car service will be between 50 to 60 cent per mile.

To put that in perspective a taxi costs $5 per mile on average.

I live 2.5 miles from Dublin City center, my bus ticket costs €2.05, a self driving car service would cost be about €1.25 ish for the same journey (and be door to door, unlike the bus).

Self driving car services are going to be massive, they will have a massive effect on our society, some of them possibly negative.

You are already seeing the seeds of such services in Manhattan. I spend quiet a bit of time there. UberPool is massively popular there.

For those who don't know, it is like a taxi, but you end up sharing with other people along your journey, in return for a lower price. It is super popular in NYC, it is pretty amazing to see very well paid professionals happily jumping into taix's next to strangers. No one cares, it is all very natural for them.
    Dublin for example could not solve its commuter issues by using self driving cars, the roads would just be as congested as they are today. Hence its NOT the future of urban commuting

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I think self-driving services are going to have a massive effect on our society and public transport.

First of all, the majority of these self driving vehicles won't be the large 5 seat cars we know today. Instead they will be small electric, one seat pod cars with just enough range to make the journey that you are planning. So we will likely eventually end up with lane splitting. Where you can potentially fit 4 or 5 of these pod cars in the same space as a single car.

Then you have the fact that they will all be communicating with one another and with traffic lights and traffic control systems. This will mean eventually we will eliminate the traffic snake effect at junctions, which so massively negatively impacts our roads.

As a result of these two changes, we will likely see road capacity increase by about 5 to 6 fold.

Now I agree that probably still wouldn't be enough capacity increase for dense city centers. But it will mean many of the bus journeys we take today will be eliminated.

How I see it looking in the future:
    - Your personal AI sees that you have a meeting in the office at 9pm, so it orders you a pod car. The pod car will be sitting outside waiting for you outside your home.
    - The pod car will wizz you towards the city, it will constantly monitor traffic and get you as far in as it reasonably can.
    - As it gets closer to the core city and it sees that traffic is building up, it will divert to the closest Luas/Dart/Metro station and you will continue your jouney in from there.

Obviously trips that don't go into the core city center will be made door to door by these pod cars.
    Outside of urban areas, the whole car sharing idea is complete nonsense as the density of population in ireland means its a daft unworkable concept

" Siri, I need to take johnny to the hospital , he's bumped his head"

" Ive requested a car, its leaving from its last destination 30 Kms away, and will be with you in 40 minutes "

" Siri WTF"

The whole country will be thick with these self driving vehicles. Ireland isn't that big, there is no reason why a self driving car isn't a few minutes away even in rural Ireland.

And of course in this scenario, you could probably declare a medical emergency which would mean you would be given priority access to the closest vehicle and in turn this vehicle could communicate with all the other self driving vehicles to get out of its way so it could get to you faster and in turn get you to the hospital faster. Almost like having your own ambulance on blues.
    This leaves aside the whole issue that cars are as much " lifestyle" purchases as they are merely transport objects.

Sure and of course there will remain some people who will want to our their own car.

However I have to say, with no offence to anyone, I think the idea of a car being a status symbol is quickly dying and mostly something only older people feel.

I think for most middle aged people, they see them as nothing much more then a lump of metal that takes them too work every day through torturous congestion and dropping the kids to various events. I think many of us dream of the day when we can just order a self driving car to take the kids to the event themselves or being able to relax and read the paper on the way to work.

For younger people, I see very little interest in owning cars amongst them. Many of them seem to see cars as something only old people do. They see little social value in showing off a car. Instead they show off their social value on social media, showing pictures of their latest hiking trip in patagonia or ski trip to the Alps.

You see this very clearly in Manhattan, they couldn't care less about what big black car they are jumping into from Uber. It is all about the destination, the cool bar, nightclub, restaurant, art gallery, bagel place they are going to and where of course they will be taking a selfie to share.

Times are changing and it is going to be a very wild ride.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    Agreed, largely true with the exception of NYC and very sad. I took the quiet good public transport in Atlanta and people I meet there thought I was mad. One person honestly asked me, "were you not stabbed!".

Yup, true, Medieval streets simply don't have the space for cars for the most part.

Very true for European cities and surprisingly even starting to happen in the US!

The difference is cost. It is estimated that the cost per mile to a user of a self driving car service will be between 50 to 60 cent per mile.

To put that in perspective a taxi costs $5 per mile on average.

I live 2.5 miles from Dublin City center, my bus ticket costs €2.05, a self driving car service would cost be about €1.25 ish for the same journey (and be door to door, unlike the bus).

Self driving car services are going to be massive, they will have a massive effect on our society, some of them possibly negative.

You are already seeing the seeds of such services in Manhattan. I spend quiet a bit of time there. UberPool is massively popular there.

For those who don't know, it is like a taxi, but you end up sharing with other people along your journey, in return for a lower price. It is super popular in NYC, it is pretty amazing to see very well paid professionals happily jumping into taix's next to strangers. No one cares, it is all very natural for them.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I think self-driving services are going to have a massive effect on our society and public transport.

First of all, the majority of these self driving vehicles won't be the large 5 seat cars we know today. Instead they will be small electric, one seat pod cars with just enough range to make the journey that you are planning. So we will likely eventually end up with lane splitting. Where you can potentially fit 4 or 5 of these pod cars in the same space as a single car.

Then you have the fact that they will all be communicating with one another and with traffic lights and traffic control systems. This will mean eventually we will eliminate the traffic snake effect at junctions, which so massively negatively impacts our roads.

As a result of these two changes, we will likely see road capacity increase by about 5 to 6 fold.

You see this very clearly in Manhattan, they couldn't care less about what big black car they are jumping into from Uber. It is all about the destination, the cool bar, nightclub, restaurant, art gallery, bagel place they are going to and where of course they will be taking a selfie to share.

Times are changing and it is going to be a very wild ride.

reading the latter part of your post reminds me of this :D

Standing tough under stars and stripes
    We can tell
    This dream's in sight
    You've got to admit it

At this point in time that it's clear
    The future looks bright
    On that train all graphite and glitter
    Undersea by rail

Ninety minutes from New York to Paris
    Well by seventy-six we'll be A.O.K.

What a beautiful world this will be
    What a glorious time to be free

Get your ticket to that wheel in space
    While there's time
    The fix is in
    You'll be a witness to that game of chance in the sky

You know we've got to win
    Here at home we'll play in the city
    Powered by the sun
    Perfect weather for a streamlined world
    There'll be spandex jackets one for everyone

On that train all graphite and glitter
    Undersea by rail
    Ninety minutes from New York to Paris
    (More leisure for artists everywhere)

A just machine to make big decisions
    Programmed by fellows with compassion and vision
    We'll be clean when their work is done
    We'll be eternally free yes and eternally young

The reality being somewhat different !!!

The difference is cost.

“Transmutation of the elements,–unlimited power, ability to investigate the working of living cells by tracer atoms, the secret of photosynthesis about to be uncovered,–these and a host of other results all in 15 short years. It is not too much to expect that our children will enjoy in their homes electrical energy too cheap to meter,–will know of great periodic regional famines in the world only as matters of history,–will travel effortlessly over the seas and under them and through the air with a minimum of danger and at great speeds,–and will experience a lifespan far longer than ours, as disease yields and man comes to understand what causes him to age. This is the forecast for an age of peace.”*
    Atomic Energy Commission Chairman Lewis Strauss, 1954

always be wary of people telling you the future will be cheaper, ( and safer !) history is not on their side

reading the latter part of your post reminds me of this :D

The reality being somewhat different !!!

Concorde and supersonic travel are limited by energy costs.

People decided that cost of travel was more important to them then speed.

Add to that a rake of political issues between the US and European governments that ended up killing Concorde.

Having said all that, we are likely to see the emergence of supersonic private jets soon.

Self driving cars aren't limited by energy. They are limited by software, processing power and sensors. As a software engineer, I can assure you these are all advancing at tremendous pace and it is only a matter of time.
    Atomic Energy Commission Chairman Lewis Strauss, 1954

always be wary of people telling you the future will be cheaper, ( and safer !) history is not on their side

You really don't want to get me started on Nuclear energy, what a blown opportunity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I feel alot of déjà vu for some reason

Self driving cars aren't limited by energy. They are limited by software, processing power and sensors. As a software engineer, I can assure you these are all advancing at tremendous pace and it is only a matter of time.

As an embedded systems designer and software engineer, I have been at the forefront of robotics and other automation since its infancy in the 80s. Ive witnessed tech come and go.

Tech people , ( and its our failing ) always equate tech progress with corresponding societal progress. Yet most tech people actually do not predict correctly how society develops using the latest technology, with most tech people missing the internet, social media and the rise of the connected mobile person.

Its instructive to search youtube for a series called the " Mighty Micro" made by channel 4( or was it ITV) in the late seventies , which had a renowned UK technologist at the time " future gaze" into the early 21st century and make all sorts of predictions

Its very interesting to see what he and others predicted. while they "mainly " got the technology predictions right, they missed entire social developments and the technology associated with it . They wrongly predicted the arrival of the " leisure" society , with millions unable to get work , yet missed the huge software industry that was needed as they underestimated the complexity of software and the man-years to produce it.

SO , I like you, can see the technology path , and feel I can predict it with the best of us, I am wary of societal changes and how this technology will actually be used. Thats where I see us getting our predictions wrong . hence I see automated driving and increasingly powerful " drivers aids" , I am wary of going into Sci-fi land and predicting the inevitable outcome is driverless " pod" cars shared between everyone.

PS Concorde died because it was a technology revolution , that did not forsee mass travel to the extent that it developed and also how cheap that travel was to become and is a perfect example of what I have alluded to . The same thing occurred with satellite phones, marvels of technology that found themselves largely without a problem to solve

( in the same way , if you had asked a liner Capitan at he end of the 60s ,early 70s, that the world seas in 2017 would be full of huge cruise ships larger then any liner of that day, he'd have laughed you off the ship and explained that large passengers ships were dead , surpassed by aircraft )

in the meantime, Im still waiting for my Google Glass. !!!

As an embedded systems designer and software engineer, I have been at the forefront of robotics and other automation since its infancy in the 80s. Ive witnessed tech come and go.

Oh god, LOL! And I learned to programme on an ZX81, so lets not get into a silly dick waving match!
    Tech people , ( and its our failing ) always equate tech progress with corresponding societal progress. Yet most tech people actually do not predict correctly how society develops using the latest technology, with most tech people missing the internet, social media and the rise of the connected mobile person.

Yes, many people in general can fail to see the upcoming tech revolutions and their impact on society.

The tech industry is full of people who are very smart in their little niche, but totally fail to see the bigger picture and the societal changes.

BTW it might interest you to know that over 15 years ago I sat in front of the minister of communications at the time and told him all about upcoming services like Video on demand, voip, video calling, online gaming, social media, etc. What would become Netflix, Spofity, Facebook, etc. We didn't know the names of those services at the time, but we were definitely predicting them.

I've a pretty solid track record of my predictions coming through.
    Its instructive to search youtube for a series called the " Mighty Micro" made by channel 4( or was it ITV) in the late seventies , which had a renowned UK technologist at the time " future gaze" into the early 21st century and make all sorts of predictions

Yes, I'm well aware of shows like those. The problems with them is that they are predicting things far into the future (40 to 50 years) with no basis in reality.

My predictions on the other hand tend to be just 10 years into the future based on technologies already being researched and developed and pretty far along.

Take self driving cars. Go to the bay area and you will see Googles and others self driving cars driving past you. They are real, they exist, they are out there driving around our roads in the hundreds and have already clocked up millions of miles.

Yes, they aren't ready for prime time yet, but they are advancing in sophistication at an incredible rate. Some of the biggest tech companies in the world are pumping billions of dollars and their brightest minds into this research.

Of course it is still possible it will all fail. But it really doesn't look like it, it really does look like it is happening and it is already quiet far along.

BTW the cost thing is not controversial at all. 50 to 60 cent per mile is widely accepted by everyone working on this. The majority of the cost of taxi's is the driver, not the vehicle itself. It is relatively easy to model the cost of such a service, once the tech is in place.

As a result of all of the above, I'm quiet happy to make some solid predictions, about EV's and self driving cars and their impact on society and even geo-politics (god the Middle EAst will be a mess).

On the other hand, I won't make any predictions on things like cloning, genetic engineering, cybernetics, etc. Too far in the future and too far out of my area of expertise.
    in the meantime, Im still waiting for my Google Glass. !!!

Funny you should mention that, I had predicted that it was going to be a flop from the start :P

• Advertisement

Take self driving cars. Go to the bay area and you will see Googles and others self driving cars driving past you. They are real, they exist, they are out there driving around our roads in the hundreds and have already clocked up millions of miles.

Yes, they aren't ready for prime time yet, but they are advancing in sophistication at an incredible rate. Some of the biggest tech companies in the world are pumping billions of dollars and their brightest minds into this research.

Ive seen all that , and yeh tech has a LONG way to go before, you can let an a self driving vehicle out onto an unstructured road amongst other humans drivers . Thats not to mention the massive regulatory issues that have to be overcome.

The technology will be in the form of " drivers aids" for a decade at least . EVs will be commonplace before this technology is widespread and autonomous.

The " Mighty Micro " pitched its point 5,10,15, 20 years ahead , it was and is a serious scientific program , not a " tomorrows world " . but it shows you the fallacy of predicting the future.

Yes, I accept we will have the tech, will it cause a revolution in car ownership and usage patterns, I am much much more hesitant to agree with you in that regard

Yes, I accept we will have the tech, will it cause a revolution in car ownership and usage patterns, I am much much more hesitant to agree with you in that regard

That is fair enough, we can agree to disagree on that, it is hard to predict.

Though I do think the indicators for such change are clearly there to be seen, in the success of UberPool in NYC and pretty much every survey done by the car industry into young peoples attitudes to cars and owning them (they don't want to) and the fact that some of the biggest car manufacturers are scrambling to invest in car sharing companies and taxi app services (GM and Lyft, etc.).

Either way I suspect the car industry (and society in general, again the ME, ouch!) are facing seismic changes, it will be very interesting to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A simpler tech, the bicycle, may be an indication of how things may go.
    The uptake on the bike stations has been higher than expected in our cities.
    The bicycle ubers of asian cities has totally taken off. In fact it's a bit of a mess, for being so successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

As Bill Gates said, we tend to overestimate what can happen in 2 years, and underestimate what can happen in 10 years.

bk wrote: »
    In my case it should be possible to run it straight from my meter, it is within 15 meters of my parking space, with easily accessible cabling overhead. Should hopefully reduce any objections.

Yeah if it's close to the meter you've no problem apart from getting their approval. In my Brother's case it was a non runner so he got another fecking diesel.......

The issue for him was a communal system which will not work in the majority of cases as there's no one to deal with the admin and the management company just wants to make money and the residents don't want higher fees.

If new "E.U" regulations come into place where xx spaces need to be made EV (in new builds) then the cost of this will be included in higher management fees. Legally, I don't know how you can make people pay for other People's electricity.

• Advertisement

Legally, I don't know how you can make people pay for other People's electricity.

I bet that thought never crossed your mind any time you were public charging for free. And other people were made to pay for it ;)

Never mind the €10,000 you got that other taxpayers had to cough up for you!

I bet that thought never crossed your mind any time you were public charging for free. And other people were made to pay for it ;)

Never mind the €10,000 you got that other taxpayers had to cough up for you!

The difference is that the Grant comes from general taxation , where as communal electricity + extra admin will mean higher management fees.

It's not exactly 10 K the tax payer pays anyway, it's 5 K , the 5K VRT relief isn't money given but money the Government doesn't yet receive.

Same thing dude! If you get a 5k relief, it means there is not enough money to pay the Gardai and the nurses until other people make up the deficit ;)

And I haste to say there is nothing wrong with taking advantage of certain subsidies. The government wants you to make a certain decision that will benefit everyone and the government is willing to contribute to that. I'll go one step further to state that I would not have bought an EV were it not for the €10k subsidy (and the free charge point and the free electricity and the cheap tax to an extent)

I didn't get an EV for the free public charging.

And yes I would not have got a leaf if it cost 10 K more.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Free public charging was not a selling point for us too.

Same thing dude! If you get a 5k relief, it means there is not enough money to pay the Gardai and the nurses until other people make up the deficit ;)

And I haste to say there is nothing wrong with taking advantage of certain subsidies. The government wants you to make a certain decision that will benefit everyone and the government is willing to contribute to that. I'll go one step further to state that I would not have bought an EV were it not for the €10k subsidy (and the free charge point and the free electricity and the cheap tax to an extent)

I never factored in the free public charging when doing the TCO for the leaf. all my calculations were based on home night rate electricity

I always assumed the free public charging would end at some point

The purchase subsidy was the only thing that swayed me, The charge point wasn't an issue as I can build one of those myself anyway ( I built two granny cables instead )

Ah of course. The free public charging, the cheap tax and even the chargepoint were niceties. The €10k is what counted. And the €5k on top from Hyundai. I would not have bought the car even for €27k!

Ah of course. The free public charging, the cheap tax and even the chargepoint were niceties. The €10k is what counted. And the €5k on top from Hyundai. I would not have bought the car even for €27k!

personally I would argue the Gov should remove all tax from new EVs for a period of time , i.e. all VAT and VRT and do away with the Seai grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

We don't have that imagination, Boat. We will be followers in the EV revolution.

Water John wrote: »
    We don't have that imagination, Boat. We will be followers in the EV revolution.

sad but true, The TDI will likely see out it days as a relic in ireland

• Advertisement

Ireland. Country with the most diesel cars in the world. Our children will be proud of us. Not.

If new "E.U" regulations come into place where xx spaces need to be made EV (in new builds) then the cost of this will be included in higher management fees. Legally, I don't know how you can make people pay for other People's electricity.

I don't see any legal issue. When you sign up to management company, you are signing up to a bunch of shared resources which you may or may not personally benefit from.

For example, it costs a lot to maintain lifts, yet those on the ground floor might never use them, etc.

One obvious solution would be for ESB eCars or similar to develop a product aimed directly at apartments. SCP chargers where you use your card and the electricity used is billed to your electricity account. Sounds pretty straight forward.

BTW in Alaska, almost every car parking space has a plug to power electric heaters (or the cars freeze over). There is no cost for the electricity used, since everyone uses them it all balances out and everyone just considers it normal there.

I'm not saying that their aren't issues with management companies, I know they are a pain in the ass. However I also don't believe it is an insurmountable issue.

I do think the government should do the following:

- For new developments, require charging point infrastructure at every designated car space (just the cabling running back to the meter as mentioned above, no need for the hardware to be installed until requested).

- For non designated spaces, then shared SCP's with something like a fairly priced product from ESB eCars, etc. that is no more expensive then your normal electricity rate.

- A legal right for residents in existing developments to request EV charging infrastructure to be installed similar to the above, at their cost of course. In other words management companies can't deny it, but the user has to pay a fair price for it.

- Perhaps some scheme or grant from the government to help get them into existing developments.

There was supposed to be a scheme in place this year but there was no funding given, one or two of the charge point companies would find ways to make this feasible.

Perhaps things will change with our new Taoiseach , unlikely !

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Nice fun video with the Ioniq electric and hybrid, worth a look... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

Another test drive today and yeah it's for me

Deposit down for collection first days of July. Polar White , can't wait!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭woppers

Nice man! :) I'm delighted for you. It's a great car and great value for money.

Hopefully I'll be picking mine up next week. It would have cost me too much money in servicing costs and diesel to hang on for the 172 plate. I don't mind that I'm buy a 171 5 weeks before the 172 plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭woppers

Moreilly wrote: »
    Nice fun video with the Ioniq electric and hybrid, worth a look... :)

That's an interesting video. I was surprised at the mpg of the hybrid though.

I thought that it'd be way more efficient that it is. I've no experience ever driving hybrids either but I thought they were more efficient than that.

I can't remember the exact figures now but I thought they said it was doing 4.7L/100km.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

woppers wrote: »

Nice man! :) I'm delighted for you. It's a great car and great value for money.

Hopefully I'll be picking mine up next week. It would have cost me too much money in servicing costs and diesel to hang on for the 172 plate. I don't mind that I'm buy a 171 5 weeks before the 172 plates.

Deadly! I have few costs between now and then so ok to wait. Vroom vroom woppers see you and the rest soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Congrats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Congrats !!, will be collecting my black one around the same time, it was the test drive that sold it for me as well.. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement