Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

Perhaps I can get the Ioniq for a test drive again but my efficiency figures of 15.3 Kwh/100 kms over 207 or so Kms were what I call a real reflection of real driving and show a max range of about 280 Kms to stopping.

Anyway hopefully Zoe 40 next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Perhaps I can get the Ioniq for a test drive again but my efficiency figures of 15.3 Kwh/100 kms over 207 or so Kms were what I call a real reflection of real driving and show a max range of about 280 Kms to stopping.

Anyway hopefully Zoe 40 next
    Yes I am also interested in this.
    And hopefully in typical cheapskate fashion, I will testdrive a new one from Renault and then buy a second hand one from electric autos/eco cars

I can imagine 2nd hand Zoe 40 values being high, would make cracking 2nd hand cars.

Yes hopefully Boards.ie will not butcher my review like they did with the Ioniq that I took the time and effort into writing. That was incredibly unfair and unnecessary.

I plan to drive from Carlow to the Cliffs of Moher, I'll bring my Two Sons and Granny too for the day out ( my Partner will be working and I'll send loads of pics to torment her haha) , I will stop in Ennis to top up on the 22 Kw AC have some food and get at least an hours worth of juice. I might avoid Limerick and head in through Killaloe or Birdhill as I sometimes do heading that way.

All weather dependent , if it's bad I'll ditch the Cliffs Of Moher plan and go somewhere else.

217-235 Kms depending on route but it should be perfectly do-a-ble and there are tonnes of AC points around too. There are just so many possibilities with this kind of range and so many AC points !

Anyway trip will be 450-500 Kms and certainly the longest ever EV trip I will have taken in a single day. And I may perhaps make a night out of it , it might be too much driving on the lads anyway we'll see, I kind of wanted to do it in a full day to see how many Kms you can do in a 40 Kwh EV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,750 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You might make the round trip with just the one charge?

unkel wrote: »
    You might make the round trip with just the one charge?

What ? 450-500 Kms ? not likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

What ? 450-500 Kms ? not likely.

1.5 charges :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If its tomorrow, you'll have the a/c on all the time as well.

ac won't really make a difference, it doesn't in the leaf.

No will be the week after next on my week off shift.

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    1.5 charges :)

Yeah probably, there's just so many options available with the Zoe, 44 Kw and 22 Kw AC.

• Advertisement

Well there is one option and one ludicrous, IMO.
    Getting the 22kW charger makes nonsense IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Had been off line for a week or so :-)

I am so surprised that Mad does not believe our reported numbers for efficiency and KM done :)

I can only confirm, they are all doable and true :) I am constantly getting 230-240 as well. and I do have a stretch of 120km/h on M1 + M50 all the way (early in the morning) so its not 80-90, but above 100kmh sometimes/more times. I can only imagine what can be achieved if your commute is back roads or even more City driving! O.O

I charge each second day at home.

btw, my first bill arrived since we got EV. Increase of approx 600kWh from our regular figures. see pic attached. We do not have nor plan to get Night rate yet due to Standing charge. We will monitor how it goes for another few billing periods.

@unkel: your trip of 240 KM with 5 ppl in the car is doable! Don't think you even need to stick to 95 kmh all the time.

Just monitor your GOM and the distance left to destination. You can always slow down. This is what I was doing from Ballinasloe FPC all the way to Lusk. I made it with 10% left in Battery without doing any slow driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Mope wrote: »
    We do not have nor plan to get Night rate yet due to Standing charge.

TBH... you'd have made the increase in standing charge for the whole year back on that bill alone. The standing charge increase is only three or four euro a month.

If you moved from your current plan to nightsaver and switched to Energia's clever 33% plan:

600 x 5.86 = €35.16
    310 x 12.23 = €37.91
    Standing charge would be 47.79c / day x 62 = €29.63 (Energia's non-nightsaver standing charge is higher than your current provider (38.15c/day))
    PSO would remain the same @ €11.80

Ex.VAT your bill would have been €114.50
    Inc. VAT €129.96

And I'm making the ridiculous assumption that none of your 310 units from your previous bill were incurred during the night saver hours.

Noted

If you are under contract... it would be worth breaking the contract and paying the early termination fee to move as well... again something you'd make back in a bill or two.

We barely use night to do anything. Sometime (well, if possible always) we do set timer on washing machine to get all done when we wake up, but without night rate in we kind of don't care too much.

Thanks for munching through numbers. I think I saw that Standing charge for Night rate is much higher than regular... I must have been mistaken? We will look in to it

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

@ Mope that's seriously impressive for a 25k EV

Hyundai have done a great job

Curious what range you can expect/kw/km with spirited driving

Eg going to miss a flight/meeting etc @ 150/160kmh

Would it be using over 20kw/100km at that speed?

We barely use night to do anything.

Neither do we. I put on our old dishwasher after midnight and that's about it. But quite a bit of your "background use" goes on at night, think freezer, stand bye, night lights, etc. You'd be surprised but based on that our night rate use (without the car) is already almost 30%. Night rate is up to 9AM in the summer, so if you put on a wash first thing in the morning, dishwasher, boil the kettle, etc. is all night rate too.

Please go order your 24h meter today. It costs nothing and as cros13 says, the yearly extra standing charge would have been paid for in your first bill (600kWh times 17 day rate cent minus 8 cent night rate > €50)

thierry14 wrote: »

Yes it would. I posted here before: at 172km/h (real speed 167km/h) it uses 24kWh/100km

Which really is rather good (you can not get anything like that in any EV unless the aerodynamics are really good, like in Ioniq, Tesla Model S and even better, Tesla Model 3

24kWh/100km means the Ioniq can be driving from 100% to empty at 167km/h and it will still reach 195km :cool:

ELM327 wrote: »
    It can and does, at many stations
    Look at the plugshare photo of an ioniq charging at above 60kW at the Naas FCP for instance.

Yes, I saw my car pulling 66 or 67kW from FCP in Portlaoise
    @ Mope that's seriously impressive for a 25k EV

Hyundai have done a great job

I did very spirited drive from Portlaoise FCP to Limerick FCP, you can check the consumption figures on my post about 3 days trip report. Car was 2adults+child+bags+VERY bad weather and wind.

But yes, I am impressed with it each day I drive it :D

@unkel: 167kmh on a very flat surface and little to no wind would probably still not do 195km of range. I know math kind of dictates it should, but...

I don't see it happening... I know my experience from Portlaoise to Limerick is not ideal (due to wind, rain and terrain), but I could not make this much KM and I was not doing close to 167km/h.

24kWh/100km means the Ioniq can be driving from 100% to empty at 167km/h and it will still reach 195km :cool:
    My maths say 130 km. Still impressive though.

• Advertisement

Oops! I knew it was too good to be true. I presumed per hour instead of per 100km. Normally I double check my maths. Goes to show, if you don't, you can fail :o

28kWh capacity / 24kWh/100km energy use * 100km = 117km

Did my run both ways on a flat motorway with zero wind. And in case some of the doubters in here still don't believe me, they got similar results in Germany

688e5005a010bd68114e1a36c34f7e1d.jpg

He actually got 175km/h indicated (170km/h real speed). He used 25kWh/100km and that was with the cruise control on (mine was off)

Oops! I knew it was too good to be true. I presumed per hour instead of per 100km. Normally I double check my maths. Goes to show, if you don't, you can fail :o

28kWh capacity / 24kWh/100km energy use * 100km = 117km
    I stand corrected too. For some reason I thought Ioniq is 30 kWh usable. Anyway, over 100 km at top speed is an excellent result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

@Mope

Definitely get the night rate. You would be amazed at how many units are used up in the night. I had my meter installed in the first week of March IIRC. I just checked the meter now and it says we have used 1109 units at night and 892 units for day. I estimate that we charge 35% of the 24KW Leaf each night.....so someone else can do the sums on that. My night rate is 5.24c (including vat and a 24% discount). I only charge the car at night unless using public charger. Each night, we set timers for the dishwasher and washing machine. Our cooking is done with Gas....with some microwave use too.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Well there is one option and one ludicrous, IMO.
    Getting the 22kW charger makes nonsense IMO.

True and I hope people are made aware of the difference.

I was more frederring to 22 kw charge points in general , being so widely available and highly practical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

goz83 wrote: »
    @Mope

Definitely get the night rate. You would be amazed at how many units are used up in the night. I had my meter installed in the first week of March IIRC. I just checked the meter now and it says we have used 1109 units at night and 892 units for day. I estimate that we charge 35% of the 24KW Leaf each night.....so someone else can do the sums on that. My night rate is 5.24 (including vat and a 24% discount). I only charge the car at night unless using public charger. Each night, we set timers for the dishwasher and washing machine. Our cooking is done with Gas....with some microwave use too.

Who are you buying the power from with that rate?

Who are you buying the power from with that rate?

Bord Gais.

Standard Rate 6.08c
    + 13.5% (0.82c) VAT
    = 6.9c.
    - 24% discount (1.65c)
    = 5.24c

Did my run both ways on a flat motorway with zero wind. And in case some of the doubters in here still don't believe me, they got similar results in Germany

688e5005a010bd68114e1a36c34f7e1d.jpg

He actually got 175km/h indicated (170km/h real speed). He used 25kWh/100km and that was with the cruise control on (mine was off)

That's class

175km/h and and 25kwh is almost unbelievable for me, that's plenty quick

Isn't the Chevy Bolt and Zoe limited to 150km/h or something

I don't drive fast normally but nice to have that top end when you ever do need it and 175km/h is plenty in this country

Ioniq seems to be a class ahead of the similar price leaf etc

So many good reviews here

Checking back on old posts the 1st gen Leaf was doing 18kwh - 20 kwh under normal enough driving, improvement in a few years is crazy

Can't wait till Hyundai make a hotter version of the Ioniq with more top end and range, will be all over it

Read that and was like, jesus its better to drive a lunatic and get that range instead of driving like some here at 85km/h 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

I just noticed that Hyundai has reinstated the €4000 scrappage allowance (they had removed it from the website around early April IIRC).

Has anyone heard about that 200 mile version of the Ioniq that was expected in 2018?

• Advertisement

positron wrote: »
    Has anyone heard about that 200 mile (321.87 km) version of the Ioniq that was expected in 2018?

It's still on the way... Might slip into Q2 '18.

My wife, after reading your post re Night rates, replied with this below:

Usually the day/night plans have a lower night rate, but a higher day rate.

i.e. if an average 24h plan pays 15cents per unit, then night one is 8cents is for night rate, but 17cents for day rate. On Energia’s site the rates for Day/Night plan is 0.1741 for Day (incl Vat after discount) and night one is 0.0834 (incl VAT after discount). Standing charge is 197.99 (assuming incl VAT, doesn’t specify), PSO 80.30.

so nowhere near the mentioned 0.0586 and 12.23.

Our current plan is (taken from website not from bill) 15.35 (incl VAT after discount), standing charge 149.41 (incl VAT).

So now 910 units – €139.69

If with Energia – 600 x 0.0834 = €50.04 and 310 x 0.1741 = €53.971, total 104.01. (difference of mere €35)
    Adding the difference re standing charge (197.99-149.41)/12*2 = 8.10, reducing the difference to €27.

Not taking PSO into account as it should be the same.

I think solution for us to try to charge the car as little as possible in the house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Has anyone heard about that 200 mile version of the Ioniq that was expected in 2018?
    cros13 wrote: »
    It's still on the way... Might slip into Q2 '18.

A friend of mine was just quoted €30k for the 42kwh Ioniq which can do 700 miles per charge.....

:rolleyes:

They really don't have a bloody clue.

Read that and was like, jesus its better to drive a lunatic and get that range instead of driving like some here at 85km/h 😀
    Sometimes it's necessitated by range limitations in an EV designed for the most part in 2010.

so nowhere near the mentioned 0.0586 and 12.23.

Those rates are ex. VAT.... 'cause I added the VAT in later to make it directly comparable to the bill you posted.

Here's a link to the clever 33% rate (it's not listed or sold on energia's own site):

https://www.bonkers.ie/compare-gas-electricity-prices/energia/F6CMHG/energia-clever-electricity--web-exclusive-33--/

The day rate is ~1c more expensive than the 24hr rate on the same plan. However the night rate is 7-8c cheaper.... and the discounts keep the day rate below what you are currently paying.

So the only consideration is the extra €50 or so a year on to the standing charge... but the drop in unit rates will save you €300-400 at least.

The way I look at it the higher standing charge is paid back in 2 weeks or less compared to paying for Diesel.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    A friend of mine was just quoted €30k for the 42kwh Ioniq which can do 700 miles per charge.....

:rolleyes:

They really don't have a bloody clue.

Great price if true and not long away

Might call in to my dealer to see if they are doing preorders

42kwh should be 300km easy

Just wish they would upgrade the power a bit, it looks pretty dead on the open road between 100-160 km/h

Must check the numbers but it appears slower than your run of the mill 2.0tdi 140

How do users here find it on the motorways compared to average 2.0tdi's in terms of acceleration 100-160?

Could not bet my money on it, but I think IONIQ would win easily this type of thing if avarage tdi guy would be in 6gear and not spooling his Turbo

175km/h and and 25kwh is almost unbelievable for me, that's plenty quick

Isn't the Chevy Bolt and Zoe limited to 150km/h or something

175km/h was indicated. Real speed 170km/h. I didn't go over 167km/h real speed (Hyundai official spec is 165km/h)

Dunno about the Bolt but Zoe is limited to 135km/h, Leaf to 144km/h and i3 to 150km/h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

175km/h was indicated. Real speed 170km/h. I didn't go over 167km/h real speed (Hyundai official spec is 165km/h)

Dunno about the Bolt but Zoe is limited to 135km/h, Leaf to 144km/h and i3 to 150km/h

Leaf will do an indicated 160 which is a real speed of 150kmh

And this is kinda typical. Herself driving most of that in the last few days as I was abroad. We both always drive in sport mode and she has an even heavier foot than me. Several stretches on motorways but mostly M50 so around 120km/h mostly or a bit below in heavier traffic

418312.jpg

I reset average consumption about 1000km ago and since then it has averaged 11.5kWh -> implicated range 245km. I don't think I've exceeded 150km/h in the last 1000km though, so no very fast driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

Why did I wait! I want this car now!!!! Days are going so slow now and reading this with owners ripping it up had me itching for mine....

Well wear lads, reads like a dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

thierry14 wrote:
    42kwh should be 300km easy

That's the magic combination which would tip me into buying.

I read somewhere that it is going to be 48kWh. So if the 28kWh is a 200km (driving extremely hard or in winter) to 250km normal real life car, , the upgraded one will be a:

350-430km car in real life or up to 600km in ideal circumstances. It will do Dublin to Cork at 140km/h without charging

Maybe, maybe late next year here but I doubt it. And who knows what the price will be here. If it is not around €30k tops, the Tesla Model 3 at €39k would be a better proposition...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I read somewhere that it is going to be 48kWh. So if the 28kWh is a 200km (driving extremely hard or in winter) to 250km normal real life car, , the upgraded one will be a:

350-430km car in real life or up to 600km in ideal circumstances. It will do Dublin to Cork at 140km/h without charging

Maybe, maybe late next year here but I doubt it. And who knows what the price will be here. If it is not around €30k tops, the Tesla Model 3 at €39k would be a better proposition...

There is a lot of debate as to whether Hyundai has significant space in the body shell for a significantly bigger pack. There is no underfloor cavity like the Leaf or Tesla. So it remains to be seen what sort of additional energy can be provided, especially soon, as the battery density is unlikely to increase that much

The other issue as you rightly point out is the price point, pushing the Ioniq or for that matter the 2018 Leaf into 30-35K, territory is going to be a big turnoff , with the Model 3 looking a far better bet

SO I think the next Ioniq will be more then likely just incremental, rathe like the 24 to 30 kWh Leaf , I cant see it being close to 50 kWh in the near future , I suspect that will need a new body pan.

I suspect also that the 2018 Leaf will be a big decider for Hyundai

• Advertisement

There are a bunch of spyshots and reports out there about a KIA Stonic, a compact crossover thats expected next year. Some speculation that it might have a 44/46k pack, which might be same in the next version Kia Niro as well as Ioniq... All speculation of course.

BoatMad wrote: »
    There is a lot of debate as to whether Hyundai has significant space in the body shell for a significantly bigger pack. There is no underfloor cavity like the Leaf or Tesla. So it remains to be seen what sort of additional energy can be provided, especially soon, as the battery density is unlikely to increase that much

The other issue as you rightly point out is the price point, pushing the Ioniq or for that matter the 2018 Leaf into 30-35K, territory is going to be a big turnoff , with the Model 3 looking a far better bet

Agreed. I'm sceptical too that a 48kWh battery would fit. Can't remember where I saw that, must try dig up a link later.

If they do manage to get a real life 400km range 5 seater economy car out there for under €30k, it might be the first EV car to be accepted by the masses. A nice thought at least :p

There are a bunch of spyshots and reports out there about a KIA Stonic, a compact crossover thats expected next year. Some speculation that it might have a 44/46k pack, which might be same in the next version Kia Niro as well as Ioniq... All speculation of course.

Looks like a proper nutty professor mobile

Kia-CUV-Concept.jpg

^^^^ That's probably concept waporware. In real life it might look more like this, I think:

2703_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Just stuck a deposit down on a new Ioniq -- hopefully getting the keys in a couple of weeks!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement