Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,750 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Fermi wrote: »
    So, in theory if I find a dealer who is "flexible" in this area, I might do the same... :) But not sure if they would like that.

Pretty much. They "seem" to be bound by the rules from Hyundai Ireland who seem to heavily sponsor the scrappage. But these rules don't seem to be enforced. I'm afraid that apart from the scrappage, there's not an awful room for negotiation. Scrappage is by far your best bet. Dealers react quite differently when you tell them about your scrappage car. Some tell you about conditions, insist on seeing, even inspecting the vehicle. Some don't seem to care at all.

If you want to maximise your savings, plan your strategy well, contact all Hyundai dealers in Ireland. And then it's game on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

So, in theory if I find a dealer who is "flexible" in this area, I might do the same... :) But not sure if they would like that.
    On the other hand, if they can give 4k discount for car worth nothing, they also should be able to give me some good discount anyway...

Just go buy the cheapest tested car on DoneDeal today or tomorrow. Probably ?100. Then ask the question when you're ready to buy.
    If they're willing to let you walk away with ?25k in your pocket because you're a few months short of ownership, bigger fool them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

unkel wrote: »
    Pretty much. They "seem" to be bound by the rules from Hyundai Ireland who seem to heavily sponsor the scrappage. But these rules don't seem to be enforced. I'm afraid that apart from the scrappage, there's not an awful room for negotiation. Scrappage is by far your best bet. Dealers react quite differently when you tell them about your scrappage car. Some tell you about conditions, insist on seeing, even inspecting the vehicle. Some don't seem to care at all.

If you want to maximise your savings, plan your strategy well, contact all Hyundai dealers in Ireland. And then it's game on :D

Some of them don't want to sell cars I think. Others are very open to talking.

Yep I found the same thing. I sent out a round of emails to all Hyundai dealers at 9AM (the day after my test drive) with the intention of buying the car that same day. Some dealers had not even got back to me before end of business. Unbelievable stuff! I made it very clear that I was buying that day and that I was willing to pay a large deposit over the phone also that day.

Luckily for me, there were a good few dealers that were playing ball. Some seriously old skool waffling types that didn't seem to understand that I was only interested in doing a good deal based on straight money talk. But in fairness also some no-nonsense straight talkers that were keen on my business. I pitched them against each other and to my delight the best offer was from a Dublin area dealer, who was the straightest salesman of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

Yep I found the same thing. I sent out a round of emails to all Hyundai dealers at 9AM (the day after my test drive) with the intention of buying the car that same day. Some dealers had not even got back to me before end of business. Unbelievable stuff! I made it very clear that I was buying that day and that I was willing to pay a large deposit over the phone also that day.

Luckily for me, there were a good few dealers that were playing ball. Some seriously old skool waffling types that didn't seem to understand that I was only interested in doing a good deal based on straight money talk. But in fairness also some no-nonsense straight talkers that were keen on my business. I pitched them against each other and to my delight the best offer was from a Dublin area dealer, who was the straightest salesman of them all.

I have emailed them all yesterday evening, to all 27 contact email addresses I found on Hyundai website. First of them responded in 6 minutes, and my inbox this morning is full of emails. Some of them even have the Blue version on stock so happy days. It also seems it is not so bad with the lead time - they all quote a delivery in July.

Regarding the scrappage, there is one or two guy who mentioned they only need the registration certificate on my name to do the 4k discount, but some of them say I need to own the car for 6 or 9 months.

So the game is really on now. I will keep you guys updated.

• Advertisement

I have emailed them all yesterday evening, to all 27 contact email addresses I found on Hyundai website. First of them responded in 6 minutes, and my inbox this morning is full of emails. Some of them even have the Blue version on stock so happy days. It also seems it is not so bad with the lead time - they all quote a delivery in July.

Regarding the scrappage, there is one or two guy who mentioned they only need the registration certificate on my name to do the 4k discount, but some of them say I need to own the car for 6 or 9 months.

So the game is really on now. I will keep you guys updated.

Well they're you're starting point. Go buy a cheap car!

Enjoy the game and may the end result be a very good deal on your new Ioniq :cool:

Blue is a very nice colour on them imho

Enjoy the game and may the end result be a very good deal on your new Ioniq :cool:

Blue is a very nice colour on them imho

Is it always the same grey/silver "grille" at the front?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Soarer wrote: »
    Is it always the same grey/silver "grille" at the front?

It seems to be
    418833.jpg

Its like the frog eyes on the Leaf... they are trying to ruin a good car.

How anyone at the design stages didn't say something about the grill is beyond me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think the grille looks good on the black colored ones

• Advertisement

Anybody any good at Photoshop? I wonder what it would look like if it was body-coloured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Lad (and Ladies),
    I'm guessing that this has probably been answered before but I'v been struggling to find an accurate answer. Would any owner be able to give me estimates on range when on a motorway traveling at max speeds (ie 120 kph). I'm really really considering an Ioniq. My current commute is 120 KM round trip, 90% is motorway traveling @ 120 kmh, the other 10% is back roads traveling at 60-80kph. I'm trying to figure out what realistic real world range I'll get on my commute without changing my driving habits.
    thanks in advance

Think Unkel said you get around 140kms @ 120km/h. You'd probably add another 15-20kms of range if you dropped your speed by 10km/h. Either way, the Ioniq would cover your needs. You'd probably be the ideal candidate actually.

If you can wait a few months, the new Leaf (with a proposed 40kWh usable battery) is due to be released around September.

I'd say you will get 160-170km easily at 120km/h (car has been tested to do 220km at 110km/h, so I'm being conservative here)

So what does it matter if your commute is 120km return? Drive like a maniac in the middle of winter and you will not run out. Charge up at home. Rinse & repeat the next day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Anybody any good at Photoshop? I wonder what it would look like if it was body-coloured.

Just a quick 5 minute mock up, but it gives an idea of what a colour coded grill would look like

You can get the "Black Pack", which looks a lot better than the standard grey in particular on the white, blue, silver and black cars. But why Hyundai didn't supply all cars with the grille in the same colour as the body is beyond me. Really the only ugly feature of the car imho.

2017-Hyundai-Ioniq-Electric-front-three-quarter-01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Ioniq is a bit strange in how it looks. When I saw Ioniq in the showroom, I think it looked way better in flesh than in these photos. Yet it doesn't look that impressive when you see it in M50 amongst other bigger cars for some reason. For the next iteration, I hope they fix the bumper to a no-grill design like Tesla, and I hope they make it tiny bit longer / wider or do an estate version similar to i40 estate.

I love the car. Might buy if the other half can make up her mind between 5 or 7 seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

You can get the "Black Pack", which looks a lot better than the standard grey in particular on the white, blue, silver and black cars. But why Hyundai didn't supply all cars with the grille in the same colour as the body is beyond me. Really the only ugly feature of the car imho.

I don't actually like the Tesla style that much, the void at the front looks weird...

The black pack on Ioniq is very nice IMHO. How much works is it to take the grill away?

macnab wrote: »
    Just a quick 5 minute mock up, but it gives an idea of what a colour coded grill would look like

That really doesn't look bad, and certainly looks better than the grey.

Would love to know who signed off on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

That really doesn't look bad, and certainly looks better than the grey.

Would love to know who signed off on that.

When the Ioniq hybrids start to pop up in breakers, the regular front grills will be in demand I guess.

• Advertisement

I doubt it grogi. It looks even worse imho and it won't be good for the coefficient of drag at all, making range (at motorway speeds) worse

And I don't know what's involved in taking off the grille. Can't be that bad surely?

I doubt it grogi. It looks even worse imho and it won't be good for the coefficient of drag at all, making range (at motorway speeds) worse

And I don't know what's involved in taking off the grille. Can't be that bad surely?

I'm sure it can be taken off and sprayed? It looks better in the flesh. I gave seen blue, black , silver and white white is nicest imo

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Jenfer

Following this thread with interest the last while. I know little to nothing about electric cars but what I have read here. I was wondering if you could advise me of the suitability of the Ioniq for the travelling I do. The most I would do in a given week would be mainly local runs less than 10kms a 2-4 times a day. I don't really travel more than 30k return from home very often apart from the annual family holiday Dublin-Cork, Dublin-Mayo. Is the insurance cost similar to a regular car? Would the maintenance/service costs be similar? Finally, what is the boot space like in it for buggy plus a weekly food shop. From reading here I think the Ioniq would suit our family and would love to do my bit for the environment! The other car I was looking at is the hybrid Kia Niro. Thanks in advance for any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

I can only imagine how many more families like yours arr out there, who's round trip a day barely reaches 100km.
    You are ideal EV person/family. Even 24kw Leaf would suffice your needs.

Insurance is cheaper atm
    Running costs are close to zero.

Like mope said, a 24kWh Leaf would suit you needs pretty much perfectly.

And you wouldn't have to buy new either. Any Leaf from 132 on would do.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Jenfer

Thanks for the advice, I do so little mileage daily that the range of an EV wouldn't really be an issue for me. Will definatey look into the leaf too. I am hoping to change my car in January so will keep an eye on this forum til then. I liked the look of the Kia Niro too but the low running costs of the EV is swinging it really.

Well unless you already have a car loan or whatever, a lot of the ev savings would be eroded by the loan repayments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A second hand EV, certainly seems to be the ticket for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭woppers

1. Mope - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    2. unkel - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    3. liamog - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    4. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171 WH
    5. thelikelylad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171C

:)

Just adding myself onto the list :) I haven't been online for a couple of weeks. I picked it up last Wednesday.

1. Mope - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    2. unkel - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    3. liamog - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    4. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171 WH
    5. thelikelylad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171C
    6. woppers - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171 WX :D

• Advertisement

Well? Have you left the car since? :D

Kidding, well wear!

...one or two guy who mentioned they only need the registration certificate on my name to do the 4k discount...

I wish I had of read this before I bought mine. I could have saved myself a couple of grand.

Mope wrote: »
    Well? Have you left the car since? :D

Kidding, well wear!

:D ha ha! I'm looking for any auld excuse to go for a spin in it :) As usual, I got and am still getting a lot of abuse for buying an electric car from my friends and family but all the abuse stops when they see it in person and get a spin out of it.

Fantastic car. I'd highly recommend it. I'm still waiting to hear from the ESB to install the charger.

macnab wrote: »

After seeing this mockup I wonder if the white Ioniq would look good if I got the grey bumper wrapped with a white plastic wrap? Surely it wouldn't cost that much to do.

And I'd like to get the back windows tinted for the kids rather than having those stick on sun visors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Best wishes Woppers. Poll on the journal has 60% willing to consider buying a n EV. You're at the forefront on this revolution, as it goes mainstream.

Lad (and Ladies),
    I'm guessing that this has probably been answered before but I'v been struggling to find an accurate answer. Would any owner be able to give me estimates on range when on a motorway traveling at max speeds (ie 120 kph). I'm really really considering an Ioniq. My current commute is 120 KM round trip, 90% is motorway traveling @ 120 kmh, the other 10% is back roads traveling at 60-80kph. I'm trying to figure out what realistic real world range I'll get on my commute without changing my driving habits.
    thanks in advance

I just worked out my commute figures roughly. 121km each way.
    5% is on 50-60kph roads.
    65% is on 120kph roads.
    30% is on 80kph roads.

On the way to work I use about 65-70% of the battery. Then I fully charge in work.

On the way home I use between 55-60% of the battery.

I always drive on the speed limit or slightly above the limit when there is no traffic on the roads. I don't ever try to conserve energy. I have the heaters on, radio on, headlights on, etc and I have no problem making the 121km journey each way.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Best wishes Woppers. Poll on the journal has 60% willing to consider buying a n EV. You're at the forefront on this revolution, as it goes mainstream.

Cheers John :D It was a no brainer for me with the mileage I was doing and the cost of maintaining an ICE car.

I'd say when affordable 300km+ cars hit the market they'll be adopted at a rapid pace.

Like I said in a previous post, everyone is taking the piss out of the car until they see it and get a spin in it. That quickly wipes the smirk off their face :)

woppers wrote: »
    Cheers John :D It was a no brainer for me with the mileage I was doing and the cost of maintaining an ICE car.

I'd say when affordable 300km+ cars hit the market they'll be adopted at a rapid pace.

Like I said in a previous post, everyone is taking the piss out of the car until they see it and get a spin in it. That quickly wipes the smirk off their face :)

Well wear Woppers. I'm holding out for the 172 plates, deposit down, counting the days. I'll add my name to the list then.

Getting nothing short of abuse about buying it but as you say when they get a spin it'll be a different story!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Why are people abusing ye for getting an ev lads? Is it just banter or genuine vitriol?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

have to say I am taking a bot of stick as well, looking forward to wiping the smirk from their faces!! First week of July I have been told...
    It is quite weird where many peoples heads are with the EV.

Its an exciting time for me because the new leaf should be announced in 3 months and I can't wait. Just in time for the end of my lease.

I just home the GFMV on it will be a lot higher than 5k or I don't think I'll be leasing unless the interest is cheap.

• Advertisement

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Why are people abusing ye for getting an event lads? Is it just banter or genuine vitriol?

Ah no, there's no malice in it with most people. Most of it is just a bit of banter. Things like, "you can borrow my phone charger whenever you're stuck" or "what happens when you run out of electricity" etc.

When I first told them that I was getting an EV some people's face wrinkled up with disgust. And then all the questions like, "what happens if you have to drive to Donegal?" And I tell them that I'm 36 now and have never had to drive to Donegal yet.

It just most Irish people's reaction to some new and different. Some people are genuinely interested to see how the EV performs where as the majority just want to see it fail because it's something different outside of the norm. They're just sceptical that an EV can be a good car.

One guy went a bit further to tell me how crap electric cars are and that diesel and petrol cars are always going to be better. He said there's no way he'd drive an electric car because they can't compete with ICE cars. But then I told him that the fastest production car in the world is an EV but he still wasn't willing to accept that an EV can be a good thing. And that's his prerogative :)

woppers wrote: »

Well wear Woppers. I'm holding out for the 172 plates, deposit down, counting the days. I'll add my name to the list then.

Getting nothing short of abuse about buying it but as you say when they get a spin it'll be a different story!

Best of luck with it :D you'll be laughing when you're saving a fortune on running costs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Any scorn sent my way is quickly dispersed by the fact that I have driven from Donegal to Cork in an EV (although it was a pain) and I'm saving over €2k a year.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Any scorn sent my way is quickly dispersed by the fact that I have driven from Donegal to Cork in an EV (although it was a pain) and I'm saving over €2k a year.

That's just it, if you're willing to stop a couple of times to fast charge your journey is free.

I drove from Wexford to Mayo, drove around Mayo for a week and back home to Wexford in an A4 and it cost around €120 on diesel.

If I was doing it again I'd chance bringing the Ioniq and the journey would cost me €0 and only an hour or 2 of my time to charge.

I'd say I'm saving around 4-5k a year from going electric.

Just glanced at my ODO this morning... it was an OMG momemt ;]
    2 months ownership (since 11th of April) and I have 6500 KM on clock already :] If this continues by end of year I will have 24k+ KM.

and this is not counting the fact I stopped doing Mountain Biking for last 4 months if not more due to my baby :-] (and that's easily around 100km per day to get to Ticknock or Ballinastoe). Savings on car a just amazing.

I don't even care about resale value at this moment, I know it will be small as new, bigger batteries will come out in a year or so. What is your take on it, owners :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Daft question, will we be able to upgrade the battery? In other words if one that does 350km in a single charge came out would we be able to swap it for the current one?

patmac wrote: »
    Daft question, will we be able to upgrade the battery? In other words if one that does 350km in a single charge came out would we be able to swap it for the current one?

Not a daft question at all!

I just posted the price for doing just that on a Renault Zoe... take a deep breath before you look at the price of it! :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103725513&postcount=128

Its really down to the individual manufacturers whether they will allow/support it or not. Renault and BMW do it. Nissan don't. I don't believe Hyundai have made any statement on it yet since they don't have a larger battery to offer.

KCross wrote: »
    Not a daft question at all!

I just posted the price for doing just that on a Renault Zoe... take a deep breath before you look at the price of it! :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103725513&postcount=128

Its really down to the individual manufacturers whether they will allow/support it or not. Renault and BMW do it. Nissan don't. I don't believe Hyundai have made any statement on it yet since they don't have a larger battery to offer.

I thought Nissan were charging ?5k to swap out the battery?

I thought Nissan were charging ?5k to swap out the battery?

News to me if they are.
    So you are saying you can rock in with your 24kWh Leaf and come out with a 30kWh for €5k? I haven't heard that.

I think the €5k is targeted at, say, a 2011-2013 owner who has the old tech battery that is down a few capacity bars and they want to keep the car but get the newer battery(but still at 24kWh) and get back to 100% SOH.... but who would spend €5k to do that on a 2011 car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-ev-5dr-auto/14125532

One for sale, ideal for anyone with a decent trade in.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement