Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-ev-5dr-auto/14125532

One for sale, ideal for anyone with a decent trade in.

I seen that one but its second hand and more than people on here paid for a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭woppers

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-ev-5dr-auto/14125532

One for sale, ideal for anyone with a decent trade in.

That's the one I test drove for a week :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

woppers wrote: »

Leave it alone so :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

KCross wrote: »
    News to me if they are.
    So you are saying you can rock in with your 24kWh Leaf and come out with a 30kWh for ?5k? I haven't heard that.

I think the ?5k is targeted at, say, a 2011-2013 owner who has the old tech battery that is down a few capacity bars and they want to keep the car but get the newer battery(but still at 24kWh) and get back to 100% SOH.... but who would spend ?5k to do that on a 2011 car!

But shur who'd pay €8k to buy out their 3 year old car at the end of a PCP deal?

I'd definitely think about it, depending on how much a 141 24kWh Leaf is in a couple of years.
    I mean, if they're €7-€8k, but I can get a new battery for €4k, I know which is the better value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How'd you find it, did you ring and get directions.
    Jk, how'd you find the drive the day to day living of the car

How'd you find it, did you ring and get directions.
    Jk, how'd you find the drive the day to day living of the car

:) I loved it! I ended up buying one on the day I was giving it back to them.

I've a 242km round trip everyday and I love the car. But I do have the opportunity to charge the car in work so that helps me cover the distance.

I normally get around 180-200km on a charge which includes 80km of motorway at 120+kph

242 Km commute, WTF ? are you mad ?

KCross wrote: »
    patmac wrote: »
    Daft question, will we be able to upgrade the battery? In other words if one that does 350km in a single charge came out would we be able to swap it for the current one?

Its really down to the individual manufacturers whether they will allow/support it or not. Renault and BMW do it. Nissan don't. I don't believe Hyundai have made any statement on it yet since they don't have a larger battery to offer.

I heard from a Hyundai representative that when the bigger capacity battery becomes available that it will be easy to upgrade an Ioniq to the new battery but...... they still haven't decided if they'll offer the battery as an upgrade or if they'll push new car sales instead.

I'd assume that they'll push new car sales as there'll be more money in it for them.

242 Km commute, WTF ? are you mad ?

:D that's a fair point but you get use to it.

I don't really mind the commute because I was a plumber for 12 years and absolutely hated it with a passion.

I went back to college as a mature student to become a software developer and my first job as a software developer turn out to be a red herring. They tricked me into a support role which I got stuck in for 2 years and had to commute 160km a day.

And now I've been in an excellent job for 15 months, it's a 242km commute and I don't mind it one bit because I love my job :)

I've worked for 15 years and absolutely hated my jobs for 14 of them. I'm just happy now that I love my job! :)

But yes, you're dead right..... It's pure madness :D

• Advertisement

Pure madness isn't the word ye head case..... :D

That kind of driving is just mad, life is short enough, ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,750 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I dunno what way the commute is or how long it takes? 1.5 hours or so each way?

That's not that much more than a lot of people commute into Dublin city centre from the outer suburbs though. Did it myself for years. To be in for 9AM, I needed to leave not much after 7:30 and that was with a parking spot. And it will cost woppers less than a Dublin bus fare each day :D

At least on a bus you can chill and even brows the web, worth paying more for really if you don't mind such transport.

Pure madness isn't the word ye head case..... :D

That kind of driving is just mad, life is short enough, ;)

I do agree that life is too short but it's my only option at the moment.

I get a day to work from home a week which takes the sting out of it. Hopefully in time I'll get another day or 2 and then I'll be elected :)

At least on a bus you can chill and even brows the web, worth paying more for really if you don't mind such transport.

Active cruise + LKAS does help, it's great on busy motorways, but I bet woppers can't wait for fully autonomous driving :p

Apparently the hardware is all there. But I'd say the software won't be ready for years...

unkel wrote: »
    I dunno what way the commute is or how long it takes? 1.5 hours or so each way?

That's not that much more than a lot of people commute into Dublin city centre from the outer suburbs though. Did it myself for years. To be in for 9AM, I needed to leave not much after 7:30 and that was with a parking spot. And it will cost woppers less than a Dublin bus fare each day :D

1hr 20 minutes in the morning. 1hr 30-45 minutes in the evening depending on traffic.

One guy I used to work with took 1hr 30 minutes to get from the north side of Dublin to our workplace. I could get from Wexford our work place 10 minutes quicker :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Mope wrote: »
    Just glanced at my ODO this morning... it was an OMG momemt ;]
    2 months ownership (since 11th of April) and I have 6500 KM on clock already :] If this continues by end of year I will have 24k+ KM.

and this is not counting the fact I stopped doing Mountain Biking for last 4 months if not more due to my baby :-] (and that's easily around 100km per day to get to Ticknock or Ballinastoe). Savings on car a just amazing.

I don't even care about resale value at this moment, I know it will be small as new, bigger batteries will come out in a year or so. What is your take on it, owners :-)

I'm Lovin it. Had mine since January 15th, and have 16659km done at 12.8kwh/100km. Had some good long drives in that time, and gotten used to the cruise control which I'd never used before. Can't ever see myself wanting to buy an ICE again.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

I tried the bus from Wexford to Dublin and back to Wexford for 2 months so that I could relax and save some money.

The cost of the 2.0 TDi Audi A4 was €400 a month on fuel and on average €400 a month on servicing costs. Total cost of €800 a month give or take and it took 3h to 3h and 15 minutes a day commuting.

Wexford Bus tax saver ticket cost me €120 a month but the commute increased to nearly 6 hours a day door to door.

I was depressed out of my tree after 2 months on the bus. I decided that €800 a month was the best option for me, my family and my sanity.

Now the Ioniq repayments a month are €405 + around €30 a month in electricity! :D

It's the best option I have financially and time wise.

Active cruise + LKAS does help, it's great on busy motorways, but I bet woppers can't wait for fully autonomous driving :p

Apparently the hardware is all there. But I'd say the software won't be ready for years...

You're dead right :) I was hoping to hold out for a Tesla Model 3 but it'll be a couple of years at least before I can get one of them.

Hopefully they'll be fully autonomous in the near future.

I saw that video I think you posted about the Ioniq full autonomous driving. I'd kill for that feature right now :)

For the moment the active cruise control + LAS is as good as I can get. It really does make driving more relaxing

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

One of my first trips when I get mine will be north Dublin to tramore....

Obviously I'm apprehensive I'll make it on one charge but unless I'm mistaken I don't see quick charge anywhere on the way... Says it's 197km on phone so reckon I'll need a stop.

Suggestions?

Obviously I'm apprehensive I'll make it on one charge but unless I'm mistaken I don't see quick charge anywhere on the way... Says it's 197km on phone so reckon I'll need a stop.

Suggestions?

If you stick to 100kph you should easily make it. There's a fast charger in Waterford so you could top up there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

I tried the bus from Wexford to Dublin and back to Wexford for 2 months so that I could relax and save some money.

The cost of the 2.0 TDi Audi A4 was €400 a month on fuel and on average €400 a month on servicing costs. Total cost of €800 a month give or take and it took 3h to 3h and 15 minutes a day commuting.

Wexford Bus tax saver ticket cost me €120 a month but the commute increased to nearly 6 hours a day door to door.

I was depressed out of my tree after 2 months on the bus. I decided that €800 a month was the best option for me, my family and my sanity.

Now the Ioniq repayments a month are €405 + around €30 a month in electricity! :D

It's the best option I have financially and time wise.

That's who EV's suit at the moment

The crazy commuters

Your saving a fortune

Can the Ioniq make that journey without charging? If you drive real efficiently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

thierry14 wrote: »

The crazy commuters

Your saving a fortune

Can the Ioniq make that journey without charging? If you drive real efficiently?

They suit far more than that btw.

It's just he is making more of a saving that's the only difference

thierry14 wrote: »

The crazy commuters

Your saving a fortune

If I really really tried I'd say I could do the 242km on a single charge but I'd probably have to stick to 80kph the whole way up and down.

If I couldn't charge in work I'd say maybe 10-15 minutes at a fast charger might give me enough juice to get up and down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Suggestions?

If it it was me I'd leave the house with 100%, stick to 100km/h max on the M1/M50/N7 and see what you have approaching Naas. Anything over 90% at Naas and you'll be fine to proceed at 120km/h to Tramore. Realistically you'll probably just need a short top-up at Naas FCP and you'll be laughing. 150km at 120km/h in the Ioniq is no bother especially in summer.

As woppers mentioned there's a FCP in Waterford which is conveniently located on your route to Tramore so worst case scenario you can top-up there again or just top-up for the sake of it. I used it at the weekend, small Top petrol station with a seated area, handy for a coffee while charging. Just beware of the picnic bench bolted to the ground in the left space at the FCP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

(UPDATE)
    I found a dealer who is happy to help with my scrappage problem, even offered to sell me one of the old cars they have there.

So the only thing to decide is if I want to wait till October for the Marina blue or take the black version they are getting mid July....

Result :D

A lot of people didn't believe me it could be done, but I'm glad you did!

Both lovely colours, if it was me I wouldn't wait and go for the black

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

I too wouldn't wait :-]

Yes, Blue would be a color you would stand out in the crowd with BUT driving an EV you already a pioneer in the country :D

Look at stats of how many cars are out there on the roads!

Had a good look at charging near full this morning and the car was still taking >25kW at 92%. After that it tapered off quickly till it ticks off at 94%. If you're in a hurry you can switch it off yourself before that of course, but for the sake of 2 minutes (sitting playing on my phone in the airconditioned car after having had breakfast and coffee almost for free taking into account the free electricity :p) I think I won't bother doing that anymore as it is less work to let it finish itself :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Had a good look at charging near full this morning and the car was still taking >25kW at 92%. After that it tapered off quickly till it ticks off at 94%. If you're in a hurry you can switch it off yourself before that of course, but for the sake of 2 minutes (sitting playing on my phone in the airconditioned car after having had breakfast and coffee almost for free taking into account the free electricity :p) I think I won't bother doing that anymore as it is less work to let it finish itself :D

We do the same, saves having to get the eCar card from behind the sun visor and swiping the machine.

Yeah the thing that impressed me the most about the Ioniq was the speed of charging.

• Advertisement

Talking of charging, I haven't received my ESB NFC card yet so I tried to use one of my bank cards first the craic but it wouldn't work at a charging point in Wexford.

One side seemed to accept the card but wouldn't detect the car to charge. The other side of the machine told me that I didn't have a valid card.

Talking of charging, I haven't received my ESB NFC card yet so I tried to use one of my bank cards first the craic but it wouldn't work at a charging point in Wexford.

One side seemed to accept the card but wouldn't detect the car to charge. The other side of the machine told me that I didn't have a valid card.

Email them. I emailed them the day before I collected the car, before I had ever registered for the home charge point.

Card arrived the following morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

Jaysus, my Leaf is down around 2-3kWh after 90%.

Major attraction of the newer technology that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

One of the caveats charging on the public network: You spend a fiver on food/coffee and get 1.50's worth of electricity. Cheaper to charge at home!

Very true! And you are obviously very familiar with our local FCP: supermarket with cafe, Starbucks, McDonalds, Pizza place, Mao takeaway etc. And I've 3 very demanding kids :p

Email them. I emailed them the day before I collected the car, before I had ever registered for the home charge point.

+1

I had night meter a couple of days after I ordered my car. My eCard a few days later. Then my free charge point a month or so later, still many weeks before I actually got my car. When it got a little bit quiet about the charge point, I sent eCars a robust email and got a call from the installer within the hour :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Very true! And you are obviously very familiar with our local FCP: supermarket with cafe, Starbucks, McDonalds, Pizza place, Mao takeaway etc. And I've 3 very demanding kids :p

I am, and it's the reason I don't charge there much any more! I've also started bringing a bottle of water with me when on longer journeys, to resist the temptation of buying coffee that I don't really want during the 15 or 20 minutes I'm at an FCP.

I always bring water with me and almost never buy a drink / coffee / snack out for myself. The joys of having a decent espresso maker and a freezer with lots of ice cubes :)

Today I made an exception with a €3 McD breakfast incl coffee, car was almost empty so I guess at night rates I sucked up about €1.90, so it was a fairly cheap outing :p

Thanks man :) I'll do that now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭jerryg

Result :D

A lot of people didn't believe me it could be done, but I'm glad you did!

Both lovely colours, if it was me I wouldn't wait and go for the black

I would agree with what you say but I'm wondering when the next upgrade in battery capacity for the "Ioniq will be..

Supposedly some time next year. I wouldn't hold my breath though...

Saw somewhere yesterday that Hyundai are trying to up the production capacity of the Ioniq EV by about 50% but the numbers are still very low and half the production stays in South Korea (shocking). Demand for the car is far higher than supply and will likely be the same for quite some time to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Saw somewhere yesterday that Hyundai are trying to up the production capacity of the Ioniq EV by about 50% but the numbers are still very low and half the production stays in South Korea (shocking). Demand for the car is far higher than supply and will likely be the same for quite some time to come.
    PushEV

Yeah I think that's where I read it. About 10k cars going to the USA and Europe per year currently? Even with the increased production that's not even 50k cars per year with half of that staying in South Korea. Pretty pathetic. What were they thinking? Surely they must have known the car was as good as it is? And at the price point they can sell it for (presumably profitably too) it would have sold hundreds of thousands of units per year.

With the demand being far greater than Hyundai expected I wonder could this push out the bigger battery version that was apparently due as early as next year.

Assuming the cost per kWh is constantly decreasing and the demand remains for the 28kWh version then why not just keep selling the 28kWh car with increasing margins over time.

I suppose it depends on the competition really, Leaf 2 will likely decide their next move. If the current gen Ioniq can maintain demand after the Leaf 2 is released then I can't see Hyundai being too pushed to release a bigger pack at least in the next 12 months. I guess they have a ~40kWh pack designed and ready to go and will do so when the market dictates.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

How do people find the Ioniq range in practice? We're looking for a new car but want to make sure it would suit- we live about 13km from work in Dublin City centre and drive or cycle depending on the weather. At weekends we'd travel maybe 200k once a month and head to Kerry about every 2 months. I've a few questions if anyone can help:

1. Is the ionic boot spacious enough for buggy, travel cot and bags?
    2. In terms of range is Dublin-Kerry feasible on a single charge? (We always stop for about 40-60 mins)
    3. Our house is heated by a heat pump and I don't think they suit night metering- is this a major issue in terms of cost?
    4. If anyone has found a garage that'll trade in a newly registered car so that we could sell ours privately I'd love a PM.

We currently have a 2l diesel from when I worked about 150km away but maintenance, tax and environmental costs are leading us to consider switching.

• Advertisement

1. Boot is not big, you will have to try that for yourself. Book an Ioniq for a free 24h test drive
    2. Where in Kerry? You can easily do Dublin to Tralee with one stop in Roscrea and you can drive at the speed limits everywhere. But don't expect to get a lot further than that unless you compromise (drive slowly)
    3.You can have a priority switch that if a big current drawing device (electric range cooker, heatpump, electric shower, etc.) comes on, the charging of your EV will temporarily be stopped. This is a cheap and easy solution, any sparks can fit it
    4. Always a better idea to sell your own car privately. Myself and others have found that some Hyundai dealer will take in any banger and give you €4,000 scrappage on it. And at a bit over €25k on the road, the Ioniq EV is superb value for money

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Where are you based? I could show you my car and see it all in practice.

I did trip to RoK in April with it, full report is further down few threads or pages, worth the look if travel there regurarly. You would need 1, potentially 2 stops if u travel below or at 100kmh in good weather, or 120+kmh and charge in Portlaoise and Limerick FCPs.
    Do not see any issues with the trip

Daily range, real is 220km give or take 15 depending on your foot and temp outside

1. Boot is not big, you will have to try that for yourself. Book an Ioniq for a free 24h test drive
    2. Where in Kerry? You can easily do Dublin to Tralee with one stop in Roscrea and you can drive at the speed limits everywhere. But don't expect to get a lot further than that unless you compromise (drive slowly)
    3.You can have a priority switch that if a big current drawing device (electric range cooker, heatpump, electric shower, etc.) comes on, the charging of your EV will temporarily be stopped. This is a cheap and easy solution, any sparks can fit it
    4. Always a better idea to sell your own car privately. Myself and others have found that some Hyundai dealer will take in any banger and give you €4,000 scrappage on it. And at a bit over €25k on the road, the Ioniq EV is superb value for money

Gonna take a look at one tomorrow in Dublin- boot/sotage is the main concern as well as range. Our destination in Kerry is just about 10k outside tralee, showing as 160km from roscrea on google maps so I assume that's manageable provided we can charge it in Kerry overnight?

Also, how long does the fast charge take? Are there plans by ESB to roll out more of these? they seem very limited in terms of locations.

With the night rate the issue is that our heat pump can come on at any point in the day so the benefits from night rate don't suit our heating system.

Found a dealer who will trade any car as long as I register it so that seems good.

Mope, I'm based in Firhouse. Going to do a short test drive with the wife tomorrow and then do an overnight next week if we think it's a runner. Might get in touch after that to get your opinion.

Thanks for the helpful replies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Our destination in Kerry is just about 10k outside tralee, showing as 160km from roscrea on google maps so I assume that's manageable provided we can charge it in Kerry overnight?

It will well manage it, yes. An overnight charge will bring you back.
    Also, how long does the fast charge take? Are there plans by ESB to roll out more of these? they seem very limited in terms of locations.

Fast charge to 80% is approx 30 mins or less.
    With the night rate the issue is that our heat pump can come on at any point in the day so the benefits from night rate don't suit our heating system.

When on night rate, your rate is halved and the day rate only goes up by about a cent. I wouldn't worry about the heat pump coming on. It's about €50 extra per year for the standing charge and its free to switch.

goz83 wrote: »
    It will well manage it, yes. An overnight charge will bring you back.

Fast charge to 80% is approx 30 mins or less.

When on night rate, your rate is halved and the day rate only goes up by about a cent. I wouldn't worry about the heat pump coming on. It's about €50 extra per year for the standing charge and its free to switch.

Sounds good! Will report back tomorrow!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement