Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Was charging via the granny cable yesterday evening, and couldn't unlock the charger from the port. In the end, had to pull the emergency release in the boot. Anybody come across this before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Anyone seen the attached come up. Happened while I was driving back from dropping the kids to school this morning.

:confused: Never seen it. Did you manage to get the car started again or were you stranded?

Was charging via the granny cable yesterday evening, and couldn't unlock the charger from the port. In the end, had to pull the emergency release in the boot. Anybody come across this before?

Yep. Unplug the car end first and it should release fine. In my experience if you unplug the 3-pin plug side out first it can cause these issues.

I've had the cable stick on me at least twice with the home charge point too. Still not sure why it happened. It also happened me once at a CCS point but not sure if that was caused by the charger itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

That's the weird thing, I was driving at the time. Car started as normal, that notice only came up when the car was in motion.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Anyone seen the attached come up. Happened while I was driving back from dropping the kids to school this morning.

Maybe message this guy and see if he got to the bottom of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

ELM327 wrote: »
    (as an aside, I'm aware i'm in a small subset of people where a 70km range EV is still perfectly usable as I do a long commute of approx 60km with work charging.)

Thing is, I reckon you pretty much in the majority with a <60km commute.

Most people don't do half the distances they think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Soarer wrote: »
    Thing is, I reckon you pretty much in the majority with a <60km commute.

Most people don't do half the distances they think.
    Should have specified mine is ~60km each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

UPDATE : Deposit paid, finance agreed, I will have my Ioniq in black on the 5th of July. Car is already in the country but the dealer will wait with registration so it can be 172 car. It will be the first Electric Ioniq to be registered in Mayo. Now I feel like Early Adopter... :)

Fermi wrote: »
    UPDATE : Deposit paid, finance agreed, I will have my Ioniq in black on the 5th of July. Car is already in the country but the dealer will wait with registration so it can be 172 car. It will be the first Electric Ioniq to be registered in Mayo. Now I feel like Early Adopter... :)

Nice! Well wear.

There's a post on the Irish EV Owners FB group about a Hyundai dealer in Mayo.
    Hyundai dealer in Mayo,
    We don't sell electric cars because we were promised an over 200km range but in traffic you wouldn't get 140km, there's no charge points for them this side of the Shannon and the depreciation is too high.
    When did salesmen stop doing sales.

I'm guessing you may not have shopped local. You'll have to call in and show them your new motor :D

Nice! Well wear.

There's a post on the Irish EV Owners FB group about a Hyundai dealer in Mayo.

I'm guessing you may not have shopped local. You'll have to call in and show them your new motor :D

Yes, I know exactly the dealer they are talking about. Both dealers in Mayo and Sligo do not sell electric versions. Me as a customer having better and more relevant information (e.g. about the ESB charging point, they had no idea). I cannot believe such attitude to business. And also giving me stupid excuses like the car is not available when dealer 100km away can get it for me....

At the end of the day, my business did not stay local I have to say..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Congrats, well wear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Yes, I know exactly the dealer they are talking about. Both dealers in Mayo and Sligo do not sell electric versions. Me as a customer having better and more relevant information (e.g. about the ESB charging point, they had no idea). I cannot believe such attitude to business. And also giving me stupid excuses like the car is not available when dealer 100km away can get it for me....

At the end of the day, my business did not stay local I have to say..

They do have a point re. lack of CCS chargers...although there is one in Castlebar. However, could they not sell them on the proviso that they warn customers that there's a major weakness in the CCS network in the West/N.West?

With the Ioniq, it may not come in to play for a lot of potential buyers due to the much improved range...they may just be charging overnight at home.

Then again, perhaps they thought that they wouldn't be selling enough of them to warrant going down that road (i.e. perhaps there's an investment required on the dealerships part in terms of training, kit, etc.??)....

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Same here, black as well, cant wait..... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Performance of the air-conditioning to either heat or cool, is exceptionally good. I've seen it use 4kW though, so in theory at full blast (say in a 50C desert) it will significantly impact on range. Anyone claiming it doesn't isn't very good at maths!

Preheating will use a good bit of juice int he leaf or pre cooling but once up or down to the set temp it doesn't use much energy even in 25 deg heat or down to 5 deg.

Once preheated or precooled off the mains it won;t use that much energy.

Once preheated or precooled off the mains it won;t use that much energy.

Good point. Ioniq cools or heats literally in not much more than 1 minute so I've not bothered pre-heating or cooling. And my point about range was theoretical, where you would need continuous max cooling (desert). Say steady 90km/h uses 10kW /100km, then max cooling will give you 2 hours of driving. 2*10kWh + 2*4kWh of cooling = 28kWh, range 180km. Without cooling you'd get 2.8 hours at 90km/h so 252km

A range loss of almost 30%...

• Advertisement

I don't know what environment would require a few Kw of heating or cooling.

Pre heating takes a lot more than 1 min depending on temps. That is, to get up to the desired temp particularly on a frosty morning. Getting to blowing warm air stage take a very short time alright.

I don't know what environment would require a few Kw of heating or cooling.

The Irish environment ? :p

It seems to be extreme to use 4kW. But Think of a tiny ice cold box room in your house and then fire up 4of those cheap electric heaters. It will be warm in no time. I guess that's what the 4kW heating in Ioniq does

No I meant , continuously.

No I meant , continuously.

Not continuously in Ireland obviously. But what's the point pre heating or cooling here when a powerful system can do it in a minute anyway (and I'm not messing here, the brilliant temperature control system I'm my E60 BMW was nowhere near as quick as Ioniq to heat or chill )

They do have a point re. lack of CCS chargers...although there is one in Castlebar. However, could they not sell them on the proviso that they warn customers that there's a major weakness in the CCS network in the West/N.West?

With the Ioniq, it may not come in to play for a lot of potential buyers due to the much improved range...they may just be charging overnight at home.

I think it's definitely less of an issue with the Ioniq, maybe an issue for the older e-Golf or i3's with smaller packs. I'm not up that direction often but I'd imagine once you have home/destination charging you should be more than fine.

~200km range from Castlebar FCP will easily get you to Galway or Sligo and back. It'll easily get you to Laghy for travel onwards to Donegal and Derry/The North. Traveling south to Limerick or Cork would be easy via Galway FCP. Enfield FCP via Longford should be fine for travel to Dublin or one could take the longer route via Ballinasloe FCP. Belfast looks like the only destination that could be a pain. 94% to get from Castlebar FCP to Dungannon could be close.

Of course there's a few single points of failure there if an FCP is out of action but the number of CCS FCPs can only increase in time right? :rolleyes: I definitely wouldn't see it as a deal breaker if I was living in the North/North West though, especially when you can pretty safely assume you have at least 200km range everyday without ever having to worry about public charging.

• Advertisement

What's the on the road cost, with any rebates etc added in?
    Is the 200 mile release given a date yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

About 26k on the road with scrappage deal.

No release date on the longer range version

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

goz83 wrote: »

Yeah that's pretty much where we were.

If you would like to get it cheaper you'll probably need to outsource to unkel.

goz83 wrote: »

Bollocks. Basic commute is 45km each way. Couple that with dropping/picking up kids and trips to sports and that's a bit too tight

Bollocks. Basic commute is 45km each way. Couple that with dropping/picking up kids and trips to sports and that's a bit too tight

You'd be grand with the Ioniq for that range.
    Not even a bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ehh.... you will have over twice your requirements in the Ioniq. Id suggest you do some maths. 45 x 2 = 90 and youd have over 90km left over range per day and more.

listermint wrote: »
    Ehh.... you will have over twice your requirements in the Ioniq. Id suggest you do some maths. 45 x 2 = 90 and youd have over 90km left over range per day and more.

From talking to Ioniq owners, I'd say you could do 45*4 and still not be at 0

Ehh I said basic commute. I also travel between sites on regular occasion. As well as the sports trips for myself would add 50 km at times, ignoring child requirements. Sorry that I didn't go into my daily tasks in detail for you, especially when there is a larger capacity around the corner

I suggest you rein in your condescension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Exile, you'd better stay commuting on your high horse, for a while yet.

Price:
    I got quotes of between €27k and €31k from different dealers and that was without the scrappage bonus. Most of them actually came in around €29k when it came to the trade in value they were offering. The cheaper dealers were giving me less trade in while the dearest dealer was giving me the best trade-in value. Putting it loosely, the car is €40k - €10k incentives - €4k scrappage if you trade in a banger, so €26k.

Range:
    The past few days/weeks with the good weather I'm easily getting 230km around town. If you really tried you could get 250km+ in these temperatures without too much trouble. On average I drive around 180km before I think about plugging in overnight. Haven't done any runs on the motorway in the hotter temperatures but I'd guess you'd get 190km ok. If I'm planning a trip on the motorway I'll plan about 150-160km at 120km/h before stopping for a fast charge.

• Advertisement

Then add Winter, foul weather etc will be less.

But the + is that the Ioniq charges really fast from the fast chargers. Gets to 90 % from 23% in 25 mins or 80% in about 18-20 mins, can't remember exactly but it's way faster than a Leaf 24 Kwh and a decent bit faster than a 30 Kwh leaf , it charges 20 Kw more than a 30 Kwh leaf.

So if you can at all even 10 mins will give you a decent bit of range.

Or install a 32 amp home charger and get about 7 Kwh in the battery per hour.

Ehh I said basic commute. I also travel between sites on regular occasion. As well as the sports trips for myself would add 50 km at times, ignoring child requirements. Sorry that I didn't go into my daily tasks in detail for you, especially when there is a larger capacity around the corner

I suggest you rein in your condescension.

Condescension, Once again you have demonstrated terrible math skills

Your regular commute is 45km each way.

you said you may also do trips that would add another 50km on randomly at times.

thats there 45km back 45km random trip 50km

140km, the Ioniq can do another 60 plus kms with ease.

So again i suggest you work it out yourself because from the details provided by you so far you have more than enough excess for your commute and trips.

I'd hang on and wait to see what Leaf II has to offer, due to be announced in September. Then wait for the EPA test which is the most realistic of them all and I matched very closely the EPA test for the Leaf and Ioniq.

I'd hang on and wait to see what Leaf II has to offer, due to be announced in September. Then wait for the EPA test which is the most realistic of them all and I matched very closely the EPA test for the Leaf and Ioniq.

The leaf appears still to have a very poor aero dynamic design resulting in less ideal conditions at motorway speeds.

So the proceed with caution to wait for the Leaf II isnt really as pressing for most tbh.

The Leaf will be announced in September but the EPA test result might not follow for another few months or possibly late in the year. So would have to wait probably until January-March to get Leaf II depends on how fast they can make them.

The best price I got after contacting all of the Hyundai dealers was 30.100. If you get scrappage car, that is 4k off, so around 26k on the road (including metallic colour)

If you want any other colour than white, you can prepare yourself for long waiting time though. E.g. blue is only available for October. (Not taking into account the dealers who have some on stock)

Water John wrote: »
    Exile, you'd better stay commuting on your high horse, for a while yet.

Bollocks, there was no need for " Id suggest you do some maths"

The best price I got after contacting all of the Hyundai dealers was 30.100. If you get scrappage car, that is 4k off, so around 26k on the road (including metallic colour)

If you want any other colour than white, you can prepare yourself for long waiting time though. E.g. blue is only available for October. (Not taking into account the dealers who have some on stock)

Cheers. Good info

The Leaf will be announced in September but the EPA test result might not follow for another few months or possibly late in the year. So would have to wait probably until January-March to get Leaf II depends on how fast they can make them.

If you're serious about an Ioniq and can get one in your hands pretty quick then I'd go for one straight away. It's the best thing on the market right now for >€30k. If I was buying now and had to wait 4 - 6 months for delivery then I would probably hold off though. You could wait for Leaf 2 but if you're going to wait until January 2018 then I think you'd be better off just waiting for the bigger battery Ioniq or Kona when they supposedly come out in 2018.

Trouble with EVs is there isn't really a "right time to buy" at the moment as the industry grows. There will be always something bigger and better coming out.

• Advertisement

Bollocks, there was no need for " Id suggest you do some maths"

There was, sorry but twice you said it wouldnt suit when the range is well above the figures you provided.

So apologies but if your figures are wrong then we will get it wrong, if the figures are right then you havent done the maths. ;)

Trouble with EVs is there isn't really a "right time to buy" at the moment as the industry grows. There will be always something bigger and better coming out.
    I would say for at least the next 8-10 years, each year will bring a new "best yet" EV, either in battery size, efficiency, range, charging speed etc etc.

The best way for anyone to decide (IMO)to purchase an EV now is to see "does this meet my requirments comfortably now". Assume a depreciation to 85% after 3 years for calculations and see if your TCO is more or less than an equivalent ICE.

There was, sorry but twice you said it wouldnt suit when the range is well above the figures you provided.

So apologies but if your figures are wrong then we will get it wrong, if the figures are right then you havent done the maths. ;)

Again I said my basic, i would often approach the maximum based on extra daily tasks so using up half the rage just on the commute is not suitable

And I suppose the car is never parked during the day where you could use an SCP, or the route takes you past an FCP - where the ioniq can gain a substantial amount of range in 10 minutes.

I would say for at least the next 8-10 years, each year will bring a new "best yet" EV, either in battery size, efficiency, range, charging speed etc etc.

The best way for anyone to decide (IMO)to purchase an EV now is to see "does this meet my requirments comfortably now". Assume a depreciation to 85% after 3 years for calculations and see if your TCO is more or less than an equivalent ICE.

Why do you assume the depreciation to be so high in such a short space of time?

Again I said my basic, i would often approach the maximum based on extra daily tasks so using up half the rage just on the commute is not suitable

You indicated twice your daily tasks would be circa 50K you are still no where near the max based usage.

So as i said you need to do more maths or provide clearer figures.

• Advertisement

Why do you assume the depreciation to be so high in such a short space of time?

From new to 3 years old, the car (any car) suffers most of its depreciation.
    I assigned 85% as a worst case scenario, to allow for a doomsday scenario for residual values (eg new model tesla costing 20k released with 500km range or something).

It's a "let's assume" as opposed to what I expect to happen.

From new to 3 years old, the car (any car) suffers most of its depreciation.
    I assigned 85% as a worst case scenario, to allow for a doomsday scenario for residual values (eg new model tesla costing 20k released with 500km range or something).

It's a "let's assume" as opposed to what I expect to happen.

You gave me a real fright - my assumption is based on the 50% depreciation in 3 years, at that points the amount saved on diesel will equal the cost of depreciation, so still OK.

I would be hoping after these 3 years, the EV market will be in completely different situation, so there will be a lot bigger choice to get my next EV then.

You indicated twice your daily tasks would be circa 50K you are still no where near the max based usage.

So as i said you need to do more maths or provide clearer figures.

I said my basic commute (that's to and from regular work) so factoring dropping kids back, then doing the same run again to get back to city for training would double that up to twice a week

So doing 90km just for my most basic drive, before I add in more means a smaller pack is not enough.

I said my basic commute (that's to and from regular work) so factoring dropping kids back, then doing the same run again to get back to city for training would double that up to twice a week

So doing 90km just for my most basic drive, before I add in more means a smaller pack is not enough.

Again what are you talking about most users here are getting 200-240KM from their cars on a daily basis... so i ask you one more time where is your other 110-140 kms going to that makes it no viable?

Be more clearer ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

So, to cut to the chase here.... your max daily distance is 180km (45x2 commute plus 50km sports +kids taxi service)... Yes?

And you believe the current Ioniq is insufficient to cover those 180km?

I think what some here are trying to get across to you is that the current Ioniq is capable of covering that with some to spare. Obviously the extended range model would be better but you will probably be waiting more than 12mths to get that and its likely to be more expensive than the current model.

Why wait and pay more if the current car can do it now? Maybe you should get a 3 day test drive of one and then you will know for sure if its for you or not.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement