Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭VikingG

Alun wrote: »
    Exactly. It has to be capable of 50km/h, but there is no minimum speed rather bizarrely.

While there is no minimum speed limit you can get done for dangerous driving.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/bristol/somerset/7171154.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Just my 2c. It seems to me there is still a lot of ignorance about the cars still. Most people I come across aren't even aware of the subsidies or the potential savings. Also, the potential savings are hugely reduced if you don't have a decent size commute. There isn't much to be gained in running cost savings if you live 6km from your office.

I still find myself having to explain to people that EVs are not slow, that you're not going to run out of battery if you get stuck in traffic, that for 99% of your driving, they're more convenient than ICE vehicles due to home charging, and that there are huge potential savings.

I still get laughed at for owning one, even though I am demonstrably saving myself €4k/year in running costs. A lot of people don't reason from first principles. They just look at what is "normal" and laugh at what is not "normal". That's why there are still religions and it's why there are still ICE drivers.

There has been no education campaign by the gov. to explain what EVs are and who is a good candidate for one. For a long time I wondered why, and then recently a gov. spokesman admitted they were worried about the amount of tax revenue they'd lose if they hit their EV uptake targets.

It seems that what the government want is to give the impression that they are encouraging EV uptake without going so far as making it happen.

Education is key.

I am due to collect my Ioniq in about two weeks and had the car on a 24 hour test drive a while back, im finding that most people are genuinely interested ( and the few i had in the car while testing were very impressed....) and when told the cost of running it for a year they are even more interested, quite a few are not due to change their car in the immediate future but in 3-4 years time i can see a serious shift to ev especially as the range issue will most likely be gone or eased by then.
    My dad after bringing him for a test drive who is 70+ and realises that i need to change my car- his response was 'sure what are you going to get if you dont get this (after bringing him for a test drive in the ioniq )you would be mad to get a diesel.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Moreilly wrote: »
    I am due to collect my Ioniq in about two weeks and had the car on a 24 hour test drive a while back, im finding that most people are genuinely interested ( and the few i had in the car while testing were very impressed....) and when told the cost of running it for a year they are even more interested, quite a few are not due to change their car in the immediate future but in 3-4 years time i can see a serious shift to ev especially as the range issue will most likely be gone or eased by then.
    My dad after bringing him for a test drive who is 70+ and realises that i need to change my car- his response was 'sure what are you going to get if you dont get this (after bringing him for a test drive in the ioniq )you would be mad to get a diesel.....

Yes, the big issue is whether the cost of running the car will remain low, personally I have my doubts

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Moreilly

BoatMad wrote: »
    Yes, the big issue is whether the cost of running the car will remain low, personally I have my doubts
    True... "According to the latest AA analysis, 86.52 cent of the total pump price for a litre of petrol and 73.67 cent of the total per litre cost of diesel consists of taxes, including VAT and duty."

Something is going to have to replace this massive revenue stream if ev's take off......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

True... "According to the latest AA analysis, 86.52 cent of the total pump price for a litre of petrol and 73.67 cent of the total per litre cost of diesel consists of taxes, including VAT and duty."

Something is going to have to replace this massive revenue stream if ev's take off......

Thats not the issue in itself, the Gov can over a 10-15 year period quite happily transition to systems like tolls or ANPR based road pricing etc ( or GPS based)

Arguably such a situation is better then fuel taxes anyway as it taxes road usage and can be targeted at congestion prevention as well ( and even perhaps rural one off houses etc ) , i.e. spatial policy

what I am more conerned about is using electricity to fuel EVs, that may not remain cheap , unless you can generate your own , which is problematic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

That's a given. However, it's going to take a few years to bed in. It would be a mistake for .gov to hamper that process by slapping on charges early on. It's the opposite they need to do for the moment.

Once the vast majority are transitioned across, you can be damn sure that normal service will resume and lost revenues will be addressed in some way or other.

There are folks that keep saying that they will wait until there's a 60kWh+ car available before they'd consider EV. That's fine - if pure convenience is their thing and they're prepared to pay the price for that tech when it comes out from new.
    However, if they have any notions of saving $ at that point, they can forget about it (or it will be short-lived at least). The opportunity to save cash on transportation has been the last couple of years and the next couple of years.

After that, they will structure it in a way that we will end up paying out the same as we did when we drove ICE (regardless of the fact that we may all be charging at home 95% of the time on nightrate).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Motor tax + VRT revenue is about a billion a year down compared to the old system 10 years ago because of the chape tax on diesels introduced in 2008. VRT on a typical 2l car was 36%. Now it's about 16%. Motor tax was €710, now it's about €200

Nothing (motoring) has replaced this revenue stream yet

Property tax, USC ?

Property tax, USC ?

They won't stop at that ;-)

Aye, that's my point. The money will have to come from somewhere, but it's more likely to come from general taxation rather than from EV owners.

• Advertisement

Na don't worry they'll reduce taxes to gain votes......

unkel wrote: »
    Aye, that's my point. The money will have to come from somewhere, but it's more likely to come from general taxation rather than from EV owners.

In the short to medium term, yes. Once the transition is complete,they'll come back with a pay by miles driven model.

It will be a looooonnnnng time before the transition is complete :D

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bipedalhumanoid

That's a given. However, it's going to take a few years to bed in. It would be a mistake for .gov to hamper that process by slapping on charges early on. It's the opposite they need to do for the moment.

Once the vast majority are transitioned across, you can be damn sure that normal service will resume and lost revenues will be addressed in some way or other.

There are folks that keep saying that they will wait until there's a 60kWh+ car available before they'd consider EV. That's fine - if pure convenience is their thing and they're prepared to pay the price for that tech when it comes out from new.
    However, if they have any notions of saving $ at that point, they can forget about it (or it will be short-lived at least). The opportunity to save cash on transportation has been the last couple of years and the next couple of years.

After that, they will structure it in a way that we will end up paying out the same as we did when we drove ICE (regardless of the fact that we may all be charging at home 95% of the time on nightrate).

Exactly, the savings you can get now should be seen as a reward for early adopters.

Having said that, even the basket-case coal-addicted continent of Australia is talking about implementing per-km charges no sooner than 2030. But I suspect they're grossly underestimating how quickly EV adoption will take off in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Property tax, USC ?

They'll introduce a road tax which people won't mind given so many think we actually already pay such a tax.

We're over taxed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

We're over taxed.

Your not

ICE owners are

Diesel/Petrol should be 40 cent a litre rest is tax

If that was removed EV's would be dead overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Orebro

thierry14 wrote: »
    Your not

ICE owners are

Along with all of us from the diesel fumes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Orebro wrote: »
    Along with all of us from the diesel fumes

Hybrids for you

Mother earth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

did anyone hear any word from any dealer on when the "premium SE", model will be available - leather, electric seats etc will be avaialbe to order?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

Your not

ICE owners are

You'd swear we've been driving EVs our whole lives.

We've been driving EVs for, at most, 6 years. I personally have been driving one for 3 months. The previous 24 years before that, I've paid my fair share of tax on 2.0+ litre cars, paid many thousands in fuel, and countless euros in maintenance. I'm still paying through my wife's car.

So don't come across all bleeding heart like we haven't paid our fair share over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Whats the story with this 'Tyre inflation kit'? I know theres no room for a spare. Are these the foam sealers that mean your tyre is ruined and you need to get a new one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Your not

ICE owners are

I've had years that I paid over 2500 in motor tax, ran cars with single digit MPG figures, all legit and NCTd, taxed and insured.

As above, you'd swear we all never drove ICE cars. We just learned from the mistakes we made and moved away from carbon based fossil fuel combustion as a mode of transport/energy.

Me too, for donkeys years I paid max tax on at least one car. Although I never quite averaged the single MPG figures but came close enough :D

At some point I had 3 cars taxed. A 2l, a 3.5l and a 4.7l. All taxed, NCTd and insured. Still have a 2.5l 6 cylinder. NCTd, taxed and insured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Me too, for donkeys years I paid max tax on at least one car. Although I never quite averaged the single MPG figures but came close enough :D

At some point I had 3 cars taxed. A 2l, a 3.5l and a 4.7l. All taxed, NCTd and insured. Still have a 2.5l 6 cylinder. NCTd, taxed and insured.
    50's and early 60's american cars really took the proverbial with the single digit MPG figures.
    Although I suppose they were at a similar stage to where we are now with EV in a way.
    Cheap (practically free) fuel, limited only by range of the car. Typical range in an EV sold today is between 100-150 miles which wouldnt be too dissimilar to the comfortable range of an early postwar yank v8.

An interesting anecdote I often tell people at charging stations if they ask me about range anxiety - I have only had range anxiety in one car, and that was an early 60's dodge polara. Why? No at-home refueling and a comfortable range of about 120-140 miles.

A lot of people still get €20 worth of fuel. That gives you a slightly higher range than a modern Zoe EV, Golf EV, Ioniq EV etc,

In my last car €50 of petrol gave me less range than my current EV...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Whats the story with this 'Tyre inflation kit'? I know theres no room for a spare. Are these the foam sealers that mean your tyre is ruined and you need to get a new one?

It wouldn't ruin the tyre usually unless its a puncture which can't be fixed.

It will only work for likes of a screw or nail still stuck in it.

Usually just to get you to a tyre shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

So this evening was the first time I finally saw and felt the turtle (intentionally) myself.
    Not sure why people were saying that car has no power when it is in Turtle mode (or maybe Leaf behaves like this)? Mine had no issues accelerating the way I want. It felt maybe 10% or a bit more less responsive to gentle accelerator press (than in ECO mode), but if you give it a good press it launches as usual on Normal mode.
    Came home with 4% left in. Home Fuel says it's 8.10 Hrs until full :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

If it's like Leaf, turtle gets progressively worse. My guess is you just got the initial warning not full power restriction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

Guys,

are there any apps for Android or iOS for the Ioniq that would allow you to remotely do stuff with it?

thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

No... :[

There is, Hyundai BlueLink. But it is US centered. Not sure what it would take to get it to work here.

Also, far more interestingly, there is an Alexa skill for BlueLink. BK posted a lot about it on this thread but you will have to do a search as it's a few pages back. Jaysus, we're well over 3000 posts in this thread!

Yeah and all the useful information is completely buried, it would be useful if someone creates a thread that they have the power to close it when it starts to get silly as in most of the useful information would be seriously difficult for anyone to read, i.e 3000 pages is just far too much.

3000 posts not pages ;)

Haha,

Yes, but still useless all the same to someone looking for the useful information.

As I said, whoever creates the thread should have control of it, or at least if someone like myself takes the time to make a good review, upload pics etc etc that I should be able to post the review here and have no comments what so ever , then have a separate discussion thread.

• Advertisement

Someone has a decent range :)

78889030002.jpg

Nice pic taken by the same German fella that managed 365km in his Ioniq a few weeks ago.

Mine usually says 210km or so after I fast charge to 94%. But then again, I drive the bollix out of the car in sports mode and I do the opposite of hypermiling :p

And here for all the doubting Thomases to see in full. No doubt he uses hypermiling where he can, but you can see this is real life driving. Town driving, emergency stops, stuck in traffic, not so busy traffic, regional and national roads. No motorways.

Over 365km and he actually made it home without completely running out. Respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

And here for all the doubting Thomases to see in full. No doubt he uses hypermiling where he can, but you can see this is real life driving. Town driving, emergency stops, stuck in traffic, not so busy traffic, regional and national roads. No motorways.

Over 365km and he actually made it home without completely running out. Respect.

Very impressive. 40km/h average for 9hrs +. I know that area reasonably well it is very flat along the Rhin valley.

I must go look at one again tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Someone has a decent range :)

[IMG][/img]78889030002.jpg

Nice pic taken by the same German fella that managed 365km in his Ioniq a few weeks ago.

Mine usually says 210km or so after I fast charge to 94%. But then again, I drive the bollix out of the car in sports mode and I do the opposite of hypermiling :p

Interesting. The clue is in the image :D

Most people won't want to hypermile. That would be like me getting 150 Kms in the Leaf, eah, no.

I want to test drive the Ioniq again because my 15.3 Kwh/100 kms was normal driving. I wouldn't be too impressed about driving slower to be honest.

Anyone know anywhere near Carlow that has the Ioniq ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Michael Lyng in Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Most people won't want to hypermile. That would be like me getting 150 Kms in the Leaf, eah, no.

I want to test drive the Ioniq again because my 15.3 Kwh/100 kms was normal driving. I wouldn't be too impressed about driving slower to be honest.

Hiunday Naas have one. Not so close though...

Kilkenny V Nass , not much in the difference. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ballylad

Just purchased ioniq demo from Hyundai carlow, very impressed with sport mode!, will be waiting while for home charger, how do get a charge card for public charger points? Thnks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

Well wear!

Just email ESB eCars, and they'll send one out to you.

Sport mode, or no mode :D

Well wear. Like Soarer said, you could just email eCars. Or if you have applied for the free home charger, they will automatically send you the charge card in the post.

What are we at now lads? New owners since a few weeks ago please fill in here:

1. Mope - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    2. unkel - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    3. liamog - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    4. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171 WH
    5. thelikelylad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171C
    6. woppers - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

1. Mope - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    2. unkel - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    3. liamog - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    4. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171 WH
    5. thelikelylad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171C