Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yes but I disabled it after it crossed the white line on a few occasions and on others it steered me way into the Shoulder. It's in no way as sophisticated as Nissan's Prop Pilot, though the proof will be in the pudding !

Sounds like you might have had a faulty unit? Have had no issues with mine in multiple trips from Dublin - Belfast...

No idea , I just didn't work right and found it dangerous. I don't know whether it was faulty or not.

I also didn't get the claimed Kwh/100 Kms others here claim to get, but still found it more efficient than the Leaf. Not in any way knocking the Ioniq, if I were in the market for a brand new EV not it would be the one I would get and could be next year who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

1. Mope - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    2. unkel - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    3. liamog - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    4. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171 WH
    5. thelikelylad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171C
    6. woppers - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WX
    7. don't be at yourself - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171D
    8. Ballylad - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171CW
    9. Coconut Joe - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172D

More Ioniq owners than Leafs on here now?

Was unkel the first?

Who was the 1st EV owner on boards?

Mad_Lad?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

thierry14 wrote: »
    More Ioniq owners than Leafs on here now?

Was unkel the first?

Who was the 1st EV owner on boards?

Mad_Lad?

We should probably re-order the list, my Ioniq was Jan 18th. I think they're may have been one before me.

I highly doubt I was the first EV owner on Boards, probably DrPhilG ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I highly doubt I was the first EV owner on Boards, probably DrPhilG ?

Nope. I've only been electric since June 15.

BoatMad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

Maybe cros13?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

liamog wrote: »
    We should probably re-order the list, my Ioniq was Jan 18th. I think they're may have been one before me.

Good point, I'll have a go, please correct me if I'm wrong. Was Fiery mutant before you?

1. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171 WH
    2. liamog - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    3. unkel - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    4. Mope - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D

Ioniq EV now police patrol car in Switzerland

IMG_29111.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

unkel wrote: »
    Good point, I'll have a go, please correct me if I'm wrong. Was Fiery mutant before you?

1. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171 WH
    2. liamog - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    3. unkel - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    4. Mope - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D

I'd say that looks about right, Fiery mutant was def before me.

• Advertisement

I forgot about September1 ? probably one of the first EV owners here.

I forgot about September1 ? probably one of the first EV owners here.

You can post up your own list in the Nissan Leaf thread ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I got mine Jan 15th, just shy of 20,000km now, I'll post a shot later of my usage over that period. My best trip has been a work in of 62km, using 9.4kwh/100km.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Deedsie wrote: »
    Would the Ioniq be comfortably able for a 150km motorway roundtrip at ~130km/h all year round?

Like what would be left on the battery when I get home? Does the range depreciate over time?

Is there a new Ioniq due to be released soon?

There have been talks of a bigger battery Ioniq coming out in 2018. There is also a crossover, the Hyundai Kona, which is supposed to be coming out in 2018/2019 too. There is also the Leaf 2 so it might be worth waiting to see what happens in the next few months. You'll be waiting a few months to get your hands on an Ioniq anyway unless you manage to pick up a demo model or find one in stock somewhere.

From experience I would say an Ioniq will NOT do 150km at ~130km/h comfortably all year round. I think it would be too close especially in the winter and likely not possible in bad weather. That said you could always slow down to 110-120km/h and it should be fine for that.

Here are two journeys on the M8 I did that are roughly 150km. Both trips were done in April, one in pretty average temps around 12c and the other in I guess 'winter' temps around 2c.

Rochestown FCP, Cork -> Ballycolla FCP, Laois
    94% -> 17%
    Distance: 142.4km
    Average Speed: 106km/h (Cruise control set to 120km/h for 90% of the trip)
    Temp: 12c
    Range Remaining: ~30km

Ballycolla FCP, Laois -> Cork city
    94% -> 8%
    Distance: ~150km
    Average Speed: ~100km/h (Cruise control set to 110km/h for 80% of the trip)
    Temp: 2-4c
    Range Remaining: ~15km

From My experience of test driving in March for about 300 Kms total including the day I got it, (driving it at night before my 207 Km test drive and including 207 Km test drive) I averaged around 15-15.3 Km/100 km on both occasions which would assume a range of 183 ish Kms (to empty) Speeds 100-110 Kph and some local 60-70 Kph.

So I would say that 150 Kms are perfectly possible , at 130 ? I do not know, I'd say that would be very tight at 130 Kph if at all.

However, the Ioniq's charging speed is quiet underrated even here by owners, it will get from 23-90% in 25 mins which is quiet brilliant, and that 25 mins should easily get you 160 kms from a 30 odd min charge.

My 15.3 Kwh/100 Kms matched the EPA result also pretty close and the same in the Leaf, sure I can do better but it's a pretty good bet what to expect for "normal" driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Rochestown FCP, Cork -> Ballycolla FCP, Laois
    94% -> 17%
    Distance: 142.4km
    Average Speed: 106km/h (Cruise control set to 120km/h for 90% of the trip)
    Temp: 12c
    Range Remaining: ~30km

Ballycolla FCP, Laois -> Cork city
    94% -> 8%
    Distance: ~150km
    Average Speed: ~100km/h (Cruise control set to 110km/h for 80% of the trip)
    Temp: 2-4c
    Range Remaining: ~15km

Actually I forgot to mention and it's worth noting that because I was starting from a FCP I had to leave with 94% (The fast charge stops at 94%).

Assuming you'd be leaving home with 100% every morning then that extra 6% should give you an extra 10km motorway range at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

10.Macker-Ioniq BEV - Metallic Blue.

Well deposit will be paid this week, delivery in October.

Well wear Macker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Although there doesn't seem to be huge numbers of Ioniq's on the road yet there seems to be a huge public reaction to them in a way we haven't seen with the Leaf etc. beforehand. Traffic in here for instance and lurkers that just weren't around this time 1 year ago. Tonnes of newspaper articles. Family, friends, people asking at chargers was always a thing but now it seems they actually have some small degree of knowledge.
    Are we possibly at the tipping point thanks to Hyundai? What happens next year when the Kona is on the scene and fills that huge void of a real family friendly EV. Exciting times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

We are still in the, early adaptor, phase. We are beginning to move into the, early mainstream, era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

What do you think the main differences will be between the 2018 Ioniq and 2018 Leaf in terms of;

1.Range
    2.Price
    3.Charging time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The answers as yet are, we don't know. It depends esp if Leaf ups its tech, which it needs to do.
    Don't think there is a major difference in charging times ATM.
    All we know is, the present Ioniq is well ahead of the Leaf. Esp better at driving near motorway speeds and longer range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Water John wrote: »
    Don't think there is a major difference in charging times ATM.

Doesn't that contradict what Mad_Lad said above?

I was under the impression that while the 30kwh Leaf charges higher faster than the 24kwh, the Ioniq is even faster than the 30kwh Leaf by a fair margin?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

SEAI only got the grant application yesterday, said 5-10 days to process. Annoying as the car is ready to be registered. How long was it from application to loan offer for most people?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Doesn't that contradict what Mad_Lad said above?

I was under the impression that while the 30kwh Leaf charges higher faster than the 24kwh, the Ioniq is even faster than the 30kwh Leaf by a fair margin?

The Ioniq charges at 65 Kw to 80% then about , if I remember correctly , 40 Kw to 90%.

The 30 Kwh Leaf charges at 45 Kw to 80%.

The 24 Kwh Leaf 45 Kw to about 50% then 35Kw and then lower and lower and by 80% about 11 Kw , 85% about 6-8 Kw.

• Advertisement

The Ioniq charges at 65 Kw to 80% then about , if I remember correctly , 40 Kw to 90%.

The 24 Kwh Leaf 45 Kw to about 50% then 35Kw and then lower and lower and by 80% about 11 Kw , 85% about 6-8 Kw.

Here's a vid of the Ioniq plugged into a 100kW charger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

So here is me after a little over 20,000km. Love driving the car, and every few weeks I'm seeing the usage counter dropping down a notch. I reckon it might get down close to 12 before it starts to stabilise heading into the winter.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

liamog wrote: »
    Here's a vid of the Ioniq plugged into a 100kW charger.

Yes same as our triple headed units, 65 Kw. Though marked as 45 Kw chargers. Was a nice surprise for Ioniq owners !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

So here is me after a little over 20,000km. Love driving the car, and every few weeks I'm seeing the usage counter dropping down a notch. I reckon it might get down close to 12 before it starts to stabilise heading into the winter.

Few bob in fuel charges saved there.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Just fyi for everyone, there is an app available for Android to monitor your IONIQ charge state :) it's called EVNotify
    U r welcome

• Advertisement

Saw that earlier. Can't find my ELM427 Bluetooth now :(

Lots of info from the developer here. It's in German though.

Linky

Looks like the Ioniq EV is getting very popular in Germany. One dealer alone has sold about 400 of them apparently! I posted about that dealer in this thread before, he knows the car inside and out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

My 30kw Leaf fast charges at as high as 54kw to 92% then drops off from there down to about 16kw. The 24kw Leaf fast charges up to 80% IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

macnab wrote: »
    My 30kw Leaf fast charges at as high as 54kw to 92% then drops off from there down to about 16kw. The 24kw Leaf fast charges up to 80% IIRC.
    If your leaf is pulling even half of 54kW at 92% I will eat my own hat.

As a 24kWh leaf owner, it does not "fast charge" to 80%, it pulls ~48 kW up to 50% then tapers off, mine is generally between 15-20kW at 80% and then a massive taper after that. When my battery is very hot (I'm talking 10+ bars of heat) it can pull 30kW to 80% and ~25kW to about 87%.

ELM327 wrote: »

As a 24kWh leaf owner, it does not "fast charge" to 80%, it pulls ~48 kW up to 50% then tapers off, mine is generally between 15-20kW at 80% and then a massive taper after that. When my battery is very hot (I'm talking 10+ bars of heat) it can pull 30kW to 80% and ~25kW to about 87%.

Jaysus.

I saw 6 bars once on my yoke and it freaked me out!

Soarer wrote: »
    Jaysus.

I saw 6 bars once on my yoke and it freaked me out!

Yeah, it adds one bar per FCP use if you've used more than 2 or 3 in a day I found. My max FCP in a day is 10.

I find generally in the summer my battery is at 5 leaving the house and at 6 when I get to work, same on the way home. Last winter it was stuck at 4 for most of the journey. It's something I find helpful in the leaf, the temperature guage. It's not on other models like the Ioniq - I'd like to know what the temperature is so I can make decisions accordingly!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

A little update from me:

11. Fermi - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172MO

And me:

12. Johnnyjohnjohns - Ioniq BEV - Aurora Silver - 172D

For those getting 172 Ioniqs, did you buy demo models or have Hyundai finally caught up on the backlog?

Wow, picking up very fast! Well wear, lads! Would love to see your Aurora Silver one, Johnnyjohnjohns. I ordered that originally, but chickened out and went for the "safer" Platinum Silver

I've convinced a work colleague to buy an Ioniq BEV too, but it will be a few months from now
    have Hyundai finally caught up on the backlog?

No they haven't. Far from it. Hyundai is doubling the BEV production, but it is nowhere near enough to satisfy demand. It doesn't help that half the BEV cars stay in South Korea for their internal market. The latest I heard this week is if you order one today in Ireland, the expected delivery is October 1st

unkel wrote: »
    Wow, picking up very fast! I've convinced a work colleague to buy one too, but it will be a few months from now

No they haven't. Far from it. Hyundai is doubling the BEV production, but it is nowhere near enough to satisfy demand. It doesn't help that half the BEV cars stay in South Korea for their internal market. The latest I heard this week is if you order one today in Ireland, the expected delivery is October 1st
    :eek::eek:
    And even at that they are still selling like hotcakes by all accounts.

• Advertisement

For those getting 172 Ioniqs, did you buy demo models or have Hyundai finally caught up on the backlog?

I did not buy the demo model. I was chatting to dealer today an he said there is no more Ioniqs till October - he registered another two on Monday and that is it for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Coconut Joe

Fermi wrote: »
    I did not buy the demo model. I was chatting to dealer today an he said there is no more Ioniqs till October - he registered another two on Monday and that is it for now.

Not a demo for me either. My first charging didn't go so well, cable wouldn't unlock after completion. I knew about the manual release in the boot (or at least thought I did) but it was the cap release rather than the cable release cord I was tugging on, had to ring the dealer. They did say they've seen this happen a few times, but only once per car and only white ones!

macnab wrote: »

I've only ever heard it pulls 45 Kw to 80%. And youtube videos seem to back that up.

24 Kwh Leaf pulls about 45 Kw to 45%-50% then about 35 Kw and by 80% could be 10-12 Kw.

Obviously a cold battery charges at less current probably 25 Kw at 4 deg C max. And I've seen regen limited to about that when the car has sat all day for a few days in cold with little use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭this.lad

And myself...

12. Johnnyjohnjohns - Ioniq BEV - Aurora Silver - 172D
    13. this.lad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172

Lurking a while here, signed up to share my joy!

Nice one, well wear !

I have a strange question..

When I was testing Ioniq at the dealer, when accelerating the car produced a nice sound, like if a space rocket was starting, kinda addictive humming noise.

The car I got today is not doing that - is this some kind of setting somewhere or am I going mad?

Here it is in Aurora Silver, really like the colour. Looks almost blueish in the sunlight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

You misunderstood my statement, my 30kw Leaf fast charges at as high as 54kw to 92% then drops off from there down to about 16kw.
    Meaning it starts off at 54kw and drops to 16kw.
    At 93% it is pulling 18.91kw.
    I gained 16.65kw in 22.33 minutes so that gives an average of 44.73kw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Fermi wrote: »
    I have a strange question..

When I was testing Ioniq at the dealer, when accelerating the car produced a nice sound, like if a space rocket was starting, kinda addictive humming noise.

The car I got today is not doing that - is this some kind of setting somewhere or am I going mad?

Check the VESS (virtual engine sound system) button by your right knee.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement