Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

Check the VESS (virtual engine sound system) button by your right knee.

In the car!

You probably won't find it by your right knee. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Here it is in Aurora Silver, really like the colour. Looks almost blueish in the sunlight.

Lovely!

I see that Mooney's got your business. Paraic wasn't playing ball with me. Well a bit in the end, but not enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

unkel wrote: »
    Lovely!

I see that Mooney's got your business. Paraic wasn't playing ball with me. Well a bit in the end, but not enough :)

They were the only ones with that colour but decent to deal with in fairness. Had you posted on the Ioniq forums about switching from Aurora silver to platinum? I think I remember seeing that post.

It's such a great car to drive especially in sport mode. Going to try the SCP in Tallaght tomorrow to see how that goes. Is 10 sq or 6sq SWA best to future proof the charge point?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

OK I need a bit of help..

Came home, put the car to charge on the esb charging point, but wanted to go for a short drive now. I cannot disconnect the cable from either the charging point or car? Do I need to end charging cycle in the car somehow?

Thanks

6mm2 is fine, unless your cable run is very long, then 10mm2. I wouldn't bother with the slow chargers unless you are parked there for the morning / afternoon / day anyway and parking is convenient

I posted a picture in this thread of mine and Mope's Platinum Silver Ioniqs sitting there at Tallaght SCP side by side :)

• Advertisement

Here's how to charge our Ioniqs to 101% :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Fermi wrote: »
    OK I need a bit of help..

Came home, put the car to charge on the esb charging point, but wanted to go for a short drive now. I cannot disconnect the cable from either the charging point or car? Do I need to end charging cycle in the car somehow?

Thanks
    You need to unlock the doors of the car using the button on the driver side

I wouldn't bother with the slow chargers unless you are parked there for the morning / afternoon / day anyway and parking is convenient

What ? just 2 hrs on a SCP in an Ioniq will give close to 14 Kwh, nothing to sniff at......better than waiting at a fast charger !

Yeah, that's what I'm saying ;)

If you're going to be there for a very long time and need a charge, you could plug in. But it's a lot of bother getting your cable out (possibly getting it dirty and wet) and putting it back in. I can't remember the last time I was at the Square in Tallaght for more than an hour...

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

1. Mope - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    2. unkel - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    3. liamog - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    4. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171 WH
    5. thelikelylad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171C
    6. woppers - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WX
    7. don't be at yourself - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171D
    8. Ballylad - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171CW
    9. Coconut Joe - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172D
    10.Macker-Ioniq BEV - Metallic Blue.
    11. Fermi - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172MO
    12. Johnnyjohnjohns - Ioniq BEV - Aurora Silver - 172D
    13. this.lad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172
    14. CarefulNow! - Ioniq BEV - Polar White 172D

Picking up Friday, can't wait for proper sports mode spin!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Coconut Joe

liamog wrote: »
    You need to unlock the doors of the car using the button on the driver side

You might have the same problem I'm having. Assuming you've unlocked the doors (note, if you don't release the cable within 15 seconds of door unlock you need to press the unlock button again) and it's not disconnecting there is a manual release in the boot (1 on the left to release the charge door, and one in the middle to release the charge cable). It should be located beside the puncture repair kit, under a removable plastic cover - see pic attached.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying ;)

If you're going to be there for a very long time and need a charge, you could plug in. But it's a lot of bother getting your cable out (possibly getting it dirty and wet) and putting it back in. I can't remember the last time I was at the Square in Tallaght for more than an hour...

Jesus, if taking a cable out is bother........

If I'm going shopping to Dublin the n most likely it's the SCP I use. Come back and have plenty of range for another 85-90 Kms. No waiting at fast chargers , hop back in the car and drive off.

Only live down the road from Tallaght but it's a chance to test out charging before heading down the country at the end of the month.

Only live down the road from Tallaght but it's a chance to test out charging before heading down the country at the end of the month.

Aye. I only ever used a slow charger once. It was over there too. Just for the experience. Was there for about an hour, charging for about 50 minutes so about 6kW loaded. €0.40 worth of electricity lol

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Moreilly

1. Mope - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    2. unkel - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    3. liamog - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    4. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171 WH
    5. thelikelylad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171C
    6. woppers - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WX
    7. don't be at yourself - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171D
    8. Ballylad - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171CW
    9. Coconut Joe - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172D
    10.Macker-Ioniq BEV - Metallic Blue.
    11. Fermi - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172MO
    12. Johnnyjohnjohns - Ioniq BEV - Aurora Silver - 172D
    13. this.lad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172
    14. CarefulNow! - Ioniq BEV - Polar White 172D
    15. Moreilly - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 172KE

:):):)

I'be connected the car to wifi and get live traffic but the list of charging stations is empty- anyone know how to solve this?

You might have the same problem I'm having. Assuming you've unlocked the doors (note, if you don't release the cable within 15 seconds of door unlock you need to press the unlock button again) and it's not disconnecting there is a manual release in the boot (1 on the left to release the charge door, and one in the middle to release the charge cable). It should be located beside the puncture repair kit, under a removable plastic cover - see pic attached.

I have got it out at the end. unlocking all the doors worked. It is a bit stupid though, could there not be a separate button for ending the charging?

Apologies, but I have another stupid question.

yesterday I took out for the spin, came back, put the cable back in to leave it charge overnight.

I was ready to get to work today (about 140km round trip), I was on a road for couple of minutes when I realized the car range is only 90km. (when I was putting it to charge last time it was about 50km)... Any idea why this could have happened? It seems the charging cycle was interrupted for some reason?

thanks,

Apologies, but I have another stupid question.

yesterday I took out for the spin, came back, put the cable back in to leave it charge overnight.

I was ready to get to work today (about 140km round trip), I was on a road for couple of minutes when I realized the car range is only 90km. (when I was putting it to charge last time it was about 50km)... Any idea why this could have happened? It seems the charging cycle was interrupted for some reason?

thanks,

Would be anything to do with the charging schedule? You can set times when it should charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I have got it out at the end. unlocking all the doors worked. It is a bit stupid though, could there not be a separate button for ending the charging?

There should be a trip switch on the charge point? Maybe that would release both ends?

Then just flick the switch back on.

• Advertisement

Would be anything to do with the charging schedule? You can set times when it should charge.

That is possible, when they were showing the me car, he was playing with it but he then made it inactive, so it should not be the case, but I must check it.

KCross wrote: »
    There should be a trip switch on the charge point? Maybe that would release both ends?

Then just flick the switch back on.

I suppose this could work. However the charging point only has a simple on/off switch like in the main electric board, if I keep turning it off and on again, will it not damage it at the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

I'be connected the car to wifi and get live traffic but the list of charging stations is empty- anyone know how to solve this?

It's in the Settings somewhere. You need to select the Connector types that you want to show up on the Sat Nav.

The Sat Nav is shocking bad when it comes to charge points. Some of the FCPs are missing on it. Some FCPs only show up then as having CHAdeMO. I just save the charge points on Google Maps and use Android Auto.

The biggest issue I have so far with the Ioniq is that some of the settings you save are lost and switched back to default. Quite regularly.

The easiest way to notice this if your charging schedule is lost and your default drive settings as in I have my default for sports mode set to regen braking level 2. I know almost immediately when I drive off in sports mode if regen is back to level 1 (default), so my settings are lost

I got the latest software when I picked up the car (7th April), not aware of any updates / fixes since then. I do expect this software bug to be fixed in a later version of the software.

And indeed, that the FCP don't show up in SatNav. I tried to upload a GPX file with all FCP points via USB. It said it uploaded successfully, but I didn't see any change. Should be fixed with an update too (full software and maps update is part of the annual service, you don't pay any extra for this)

It's in the Settings somewhere. You need to select the Connector types that you want to show up on the Sat Nav.

The Sat Nav is shocking bad when it comes to charge points. Some of the FCPs are missing on it. Some FCPs only show up then as having CHAdeMO. I just save the charge points on Google Maps and use Android Auto.

Got that, thanks! I'm now seriously considering buying a new phone to go with the car... apple play doesn't support Google Maps and Apple Maps isn't great via carplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Have a look in Menus where you have to Select what type of Chargers to display on the screen. I actually never use car SatNav for it...

Android Auto + Google Maps + Manually created map by a Bloke online with all Irish and not only Charge Points is the way to go :-)

Or -> PlugShare / eESB map

And we think we have it bad. Latest I heard is that the Premium SE cars (higher spec than we get) ordered in March in the UK, aren't expected there until October. And there seem to be very few second hand / ex-demo / cancellations over there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Quick question for people on the price of the hybrid Ioniq. The basic level of trim is listed as roughly 30K but when I checked the UK pricing was 20K for the same car.

20K GBP => 23K euro + VRT (2600) = 25,600 euro.

Am I right in thinking this represents a possible saving of over 4K by shopping up north? The VRT calculation is based on a new Prius because I could not find the Ioniq in their calculator so maybe that figure is wrong?

By these calculations I could potentially buy the highest SE package in the UK for a couple of grand less than the basic level here. Surely I'm missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You also need to pay VAT on a new car purchased outside the state so add 21%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

chabsey wrote: »
    Quick question for people on the price of the hybrid Ioniq. The basic level of trim is listed as roughly 30K but when I checked the UK pricing was 20K for the same car.

20K GBP => 23K euro + VRT (2600) = 25,600 euro.

Am I right in thinking this represents a possible saving of over 4K by shopping up north? The VRT calculation is based on a new Prius because I could not find the Ioniq in their calculator so maybe that figure is wrong?

By these calculations I could potentially buy the highest SE package in the UK for a couple of grand less than the basic level here. Surely I'm missing something?

You won't have to pay VRT, but you will need to pay VAT (you'll also get a refund for the UK VAT), and you won't be able to avail of the free home charger (which you can get installed for around €700). From the sums I did, you can land a Premium SE for around €31K all in -- this represented a premium of around €2K over the an Irish-bought Premium with leather seats. You do get some nice extras (motorised seats, front parking sensors, blind-spot detection), but wasn't worth it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

You won't have to pay VRT, but you will need to pay VAT (you'll also get a refund for the UK VAT), and you won't be able to avail of the free home charger (which you can get installed for around €700). From the sums I did, you can land a Premium SE for around €31K all in -- this represented a premium of around €2K over the an Irish-bought Premium with leather seats. You do get some nice extras (motorised seats, front parking sensors, blind-spot detection), but wasn't worth it for me.

Ah interesting, so if I bought a second hand 2016 model (do they exist? Sorry, just reading about the car today so I'm not sure if it's an entirely new model) then there might be good savings to be had.

Regarding losing out on the home charger, is the hybrid not like the prius (i.e. no user charging required)?

EDIT: Actually I might have butted into a thread solely about the EV car, if so apologies. I think if I buy the Hybrid version new I would need to pay VRT, is that correct?

chabsey wrote: »
    Ah interesting, so if I bought a second hand 2016 model (do they exist? Sorry, just reading about the car today so I'm not sure if it's an entirely new model) then there might be good savings to be had.

Regarding losing out on the home charger, is the hybrid not like the prius (i.e. no user charging required)?

EDIT: Actually I might have butted into a thread solely about the EV car, if so apologies. I think if I buy the Hybrid version new I would need to pay VRT, is that correct?

There are 3 version... Hybrid, Plugin-Hybrid and All Electric.

No grants or incentives of any type for the Hybrid and doesn't require a charger.
    Plugin-Hybrid has a €2500 exemption for VRT. Requires plug-in obviously.
    All electric has a €5000 exemption for VRT

Home charger is only free for new cars bought from SIMI dealers.

Ioniq only released in 171 so you won't see many 2nd hands for a while yet. I don't think the Plugin is even released actually.

Can anybody recommend any online store where I can buy a second charging cable for Ioniq? The one I got with the car unfortunately is not long enough and must park on the grass.

Thanks

Think Unkel got one made up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Think I spotted two this morning. 171WH* (?) southbound on the M1 and 171D northbound about 5 minutes later.

*Couldn't quite tell as I was on the upper deck of a bus.

• Advertisement

Also spotted a White 172KE pulling into the square on our way out today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I see a fully electric one charging on Earlsfort Terrace. Nice cars :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

There are 3 version... Hybrid, Plugin-Hybrid and All Electric.

No grants or incentives of any type for the Hybrid and doesn't require a charger.
    Plugin-Hybrid has a €2500 exemption for VRT. Requires plug-in obviously.
    All electric has a €5000 exemption for VRT

Home charger is only free for new cars bought from SIMI dealers.

Ioniq only released in 171 so you won't see many 2nd hands for a while yet. I don't think the Plugin is even released actually.

Pretty sure this is wrong. I thought the same previously but there are reductions to all hybrid vehicles. Just done differently to PHEV/BEV.
    See here
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/calculating-vrt/repayment-or-remission-of-vrt.aspx

stesaurus wrote: »
    Pretty sure this is wrong. I thought the same previously but there are reductions to all hybrid vehicles. Just done differently to PHEV/BEV.
    See here
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/calculating-vrt/repayment-or-remission-of-vrt.aspx

Maybe I need to be more specific.... I'm talking about the SEAI grants and VRT reliefs given for PHEV and BEV's. They don't apply to any Hybrids.

http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Electric_Vehicle_Grant_Scheme/I_am_a_consumer/What_Types_of_EVs_are_Eligible_for_Support/

Ioniq only released in 171

Ioniq was released in RHD in the UK in 2016 (there is an occasional '16 for sale on Autotrader). Presumably here too, but I'm not sure if any sold last year. Possibly not, with our year-in-the-reg system
    Can anybody recommend any online store where I can buy a second charging cable for Ioniq?

I got a 15m cable (had to be made for me, so it took 3 weeks) through Phil in Electric Cars Naas. He is a well known and well respected figure in the EV scene. I got the cable from him for less than I could source one in the UK

Linky

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

172 white one in finglas today.
    Looked really well in white, but then I do have s thing for white cars. I'd pick white if I was buying one tomorrow.

stesaurus wrote: »
    See here
    Maybe I need to be more specific.... I'm talking about the SEAI grants and VRT reliefs given for PHEV and BEV's. They don't apply to any Hybrids.

http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Electric_Vehicle_Grant_Scheme/I_am_a_consumer/What_Types_of_EVs_are_Eligible_for_Support/

You are right on the hybrids. There is a 1500 relief still available until Dec 2018. 2500 for plugin hybrids, 5000 for pure EV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Spotted a dark grey one in Clare today, coming into Ennis. Unfortunately I didn't see the reg. It looked really nice in the grey, much better than I thought it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

Put my deposit down today for delivery in October, is it too soon to apply for the free charger and charging card, I have a receipt for the deposit but thats it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Macker wrote: »
    Put my deposit down today for delivery in October, is it too soon to apply for the free charger and charging card, I have a receipt for the deposit but thats it.

Not sure about the grant, but that receipt is definitely enough to get the access cards.

You need the SEAI reference number. Your dealer should have already applied for the grant. As soon as he has the number, you can apply for the free charger. I had the number 7 days after I paid my deposit (and about 10 weeks before I actually got the car). I had the charger installed many weeks before I got the actual car

No need to apply for the access cards separately, you will get them automatically once you apply for the free charger

And don't forget to ring your electricity supplier to ask for a free installation of a night meter. Mine was done within 2 working days of applying. You will pay more standing charge (about €50 per year) and your day rate will go up by 1c, but your night rate will be less than half of what it is now, and you should mostly charge your car at night. Even if you rarely charge your car at home, it will work out cheaper overall than before

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Feeding the baby for the first time..... ;),loving the car so far :):) ShtLTTk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

You need the SEAI reference number. Your dealer should have already applied for the grant. As soon as he has the number, you can apply for the free charger. I had the number 7 days after I paid my deposit (and about 10 weeks before I actually got the car). I had the charger installed many weeks before I got the actual car

No need to apply for the access cards separately, you will get them automatically once you apply for the free charger

And don't forget to ring your electricity supplier to ask for a free installation of a night meter. Mine was done within 2 working days of applying. You will pay more standing charge (about €50 per year) and your day rate will go up by 1c, but your night rate will be less than half of what it is now, and you should mostly charge your car at night. Even if you rarely charge your car at home, it will work out cheaper overall than before

Dealer said he won't apply for the grant till end of August /early September as he doesn't want it to expire if the car is late or I decide to wait for a 181 reg, he also said waiting could be worth it as they might do a deal, free service, insurance, lower finance although I don't intent to finance if it was low I might be tempted.

I think I know where the problem is with my car not charging. It seems to be a problem with the charging unit, the fuse in the main board seems to be turning off after certain period of time, now I am trying to find out what the time is.

Any ideas?

Macker wrote: »
    Dealer said he won't apply for the grant till end of August /early September as he doesn't want it to expire if the car is late or I decide to wait for a 181 reg, he also said waiting could be worth it as they might do a deal, free service, insurance, lower finance although I don't intent to finance if it was low I might be tempted.

Well I hope he realises that the Leaf II is being announced on September 6th, and a bigger battery Ioniq not long after.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement