Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭this.lad

Fermi wrote: »
    I think I know where the problem is with my car not charging. It seems to be a problem with the charging unit, the fuse in the main board seems to be turning off after certain period of time, now I am trying to find out what the time is.

Any ideas?

Same thing happened me last night, plugged in it was all go but then this morning it wasn't full!

Also - I have the scheduled charging set up but when I plug in on the granny (still waiting for the main unit to be installed) it goes straight into charging!

Any advice gratefully received!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

Took delivery of the ioniq today having been a long time lurker on this thread. Black. Very pleased. Thanks to all on here for the continuing information and views. Made the decision to go electric make a lot of sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

1. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171 WH
    2. liamog - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    3. unkel - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    4. Mope - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    5. thelikelylad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171C
    6. woppers - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WX
    7. don't be at yourself - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171D
    8. Ballylad - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171CW
    9. Coconut Joe - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172D
    10.Macker-Ioniq BEV - Metallic Blue.
    11. Fermi - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172MO
    12. Johnnyjohnjohns - Ioniq BEV - Aurora Silver - 172D
    13. this.lad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172
    14. CarefulNow! - Ioniq BEV - Polar White 172D
    15. Moreilly - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 172KE
    16. Neleven - Ioniq BEV - ???

1. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171 WH
    2. liamog - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    3. unkel - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    4. Mope - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    5. thelikelylad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171C
    6. woppers - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WX
    7. don't be at yourself - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171D
    8. Ballylad - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171CW
    9. Coconut Joe - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172D
    10.Macker-Ioniq BEV - Metallic Blue.
    11. Fermi - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172MO
    12. Johnnyjohnjohns - Ioniq BEV - Aurora Silver - 172D
    13. this.lad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172
    14. CarefulNow! - Ioniq BEV - Polar White 172D
    15. Moreilly - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 172KE
    16. Neleven - Ioniq BEV - phantom black 172 WW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Moreilly wrote: »
    Feeding the baby for the first time..... ;),loving the car so far :):) ShtLTTk.jpg

Looks lovely, thats the best colour IMO. Well wear.
    PS read the recent thread about that chargepoint, (I think that's Naas anyway??)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

I've seen a good few around Cork, but only one listed above.

Probably just keeping ourselves to ourselves like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Soarer wrote: »
    I've seen a good few around Cork, but only one listed above.

Probably just keeping ourselves to ourselves like.

There are 24 171-C's on the road. I know 2 other owners and have spotted another white one around the city. Spotted a black one the other night up in north Cork, not sure where the rest are hiding. :)

All we need now is more than 1 CCS point in the city. :rolleyes:

Cheapest second hand Ioniq EV on DoneDeal is €28k asking price, LOL :p

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Moreilly

ELM327 wrote: »
    Looks lovely, thats the best colour IMO. Well wear.
    PS read the recent thread about that chargepoint, (I think that's Naas anyway??)

Really like it in the black, dirty already though !
    Read the thread regarding that point in naas, i can see it becoming more of a problem at that fcp as more people get ev's. we will be using the ioniq as the main family car and both myself and the wife will be driving it, i explained the difference between the fcp and scp etiquette and you cant really leave your car there while charging or charge above 80 percent if theres someone waiting, she wasn't aware of this but it made sense (hasent drove the car yet though -her first drive is today..... very different to what she is used to ! )
    The problem with having it at tesco is that its too easy to run in and think you will be only a few minutes in the shop but is also very easy to get delayed in there, so i think if somebody overstays by a couple of min its no big problem, gone 45 min they are taking the piss !, a few slow chargers in tesco naas wouldn't go astray either, it would cost them feck all and overall would make money as they would attract shoppers ( and free up the fcp!)

Really loving the car, a big change from my 12 year old citroen, very surprised with the interest in it , i think we may be at a turning point regarding ev's.
    People outside the car for the last two nights when i finished work looking for a spin - car full - never seen that with any other car, all genuinely impressed. things are changing...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Read the thread regarding that point in naas, i can see it becoming more of a problem at that fcp as more people get ev's. we will be using the ioniq as the main family car and both myself and the wife will be driving it, i explained the difference between the fcp and scp etiquette and you cant really leave your car there while charging or charge above 80 percent if theres someone waiting, she wasn't aware of this but it made sense (hasent drove the car yet though -her first drive is today..... very different to what she is used to ! )

Assuming you live nearby that FCP should have zero issues for you as you will do your charging at home! ;)

Really like it in the black, dirty already though !
    The problem with having it at tesco is that its too easy to run in and think you will be only a few minutes in the shop but is also very easy to get delayed in there, so i think if somebody overstays by a couple of min its no big problem, gone 45 min they are taking the piss !, a few slow chargers in tesco naas wouldn't go astray either, it would cost them feck all and overall would make money as they would attract shoppers ( and free up the fcp!)

Really loving the car, a big change from my 12 year old citroen, very surprised with the interest in it , i think we may be at a turning point regarding ev's.
    People outside the car for the last two nights when i finished work looking for a spin - car full - never seen that with any other car, all genuinely impressed. things are changing...........

Agree, things are certainly changing that's for sure!

FYI the 80% doesnt really apply to the Ioniq. the 80% is mostly directed at the gen 1 leaf who reaches 80% in 30 minutes. If you're at a chargepoint 30 minutes and you reach 94% it's not your fault that your Ioniq charges a ream faster than the previous gen! It's more of an etiquette (touchy subject around here) that you should (a) not abandon the car at an FCP unless going to buy coffee etc at a services or (b) spend more than 30 minutes unless absolutely necessary. If needed you should absolutely stay at the car.

SCP are destination chargers so the same rules don't really apply (other than don't be a d!ck and abandon for days)

things are changing...........

If the above list is anything to go by. First half on here took 6 months. Second half took less than a week :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

unkel wrote: »
    If the above list is anything to go by. First half on here took 6 months. Second half took less than a week :eek:

I'd say there was will be another round of this in October- it's an ideal car for Dublin as most destinations are either within range or require 1 FCP. If I was still living in Kerry I'm not sure it would make as much sense.

Charging above 80% though really only effects the Leaf and Imev and perhaps I3 and Egolf with the older batteries but the Ioniq is still charging at 80% something like 40 Kw which is more than a 24 Kwh Leaf past 50%.

So 30 mins limit and above 80% shouldn't really apply to the newer Gen electrics, even the 30 Kwh Leaf charges faster above 80%.

Leaving the car is fine in my opinion provided they come back within reasonable time. I leave a note with my number on the dash if I do need to leave the car.

Charging above 80% though really only effects the Leaf and Imev and perhaps I3 and Egolf with the older batteries but the Ioniq is still charging at 80% something like 40 Kw which is more than a 24 Kwh Leaf past 50%.

So 30 mins limit and above 80% shouldn't really apply to the newer Gen electrics, even the 30 Kwh Leaf charges faster above 80%.

Leaving the car is fine in my opinion provided they come back within reasonable time. I leave a note with my number on the dash if I do need to leave the car.

30 mins guideline is universal.
    Of course the 80% is not relevant to the likes of the Ioniq as they can reach 80% in 15 minutes apparently.

Re leaving the car, generally something like going to get coffee/snack/food etc for 5-15 minutes is to be expected. Going to dunnes for the weekly shop is not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

While out walking (which I do a lot), I've gotten use to knowing that an EV is coming up on the road behind me in slow traffic before I even see it, due to the noise they make.

Usually a Nissan Leaf or Toyota Hybrid, I can usually tell them apart.

Yesterday I'm walking down the road in Cork and I can hear an EV coming, but I know straight off not a Leaf, I swing the head around and yup a lovely white Ioniq :D

I'm seeing them pop up in increasing numbers around the country. A neighbour up the road in Dublin has one, and seen them a few times around Dublin and in Wicklow and Cork.

Great to see lots of new EV's hit the road, along with the Leafs. I think they are really starting to change peoples opinions on EV's and starting to gain traction.

Add this yesterdays news about Volvo and todays news of the French government planning to ban non-EV's from sale from 2040 and it feels like we are hitting a real tipping point. Exciting times :D

bk wrote: »
    the French government planning to ban non-EV's from sale from 2040

Not very ambitious. Norway is banning the sale of non-EVs from 2025 and the Netherlands from 2026.

KCross wrote: »
    Assuming you live nearby that FCP should have zero issues for you as you will do your charging at home! ;)
    It' near work for me, i work mad hours and i have been casting my eye on the charge point from the roundabout on my way to and from work so there is never anybody at the charge point ( hardly anybody in the car park !) at that time which suits :) ,although its tempting to leave it there for a few hours at 2pm on a saturday, log on to boards and get some popcorn !!! ;);) went over to kildare village yesterday to have a look there and get the hang of charging using the cable which came with the car (home point not installed yet), impressive set up the have there, although i couldn't lock the car, tried everything, plugging out , back in, out again ect, ect.. always looking for the complicated solution...... turned out the son hadn't closed the back door properly..... !!

It' near work for me, i work mad hours and i have been casting my eye on the charge point from the roundabout on my way to and from work so there is never anybody at the charge point ( hardly anybody in the car park !) at that time which suits :) ,although its tempting to leave it there for a few hours at 2pm on a saturday, log on to boards and get some popcorn !!! ;);) went over to kildare village yesterday to have a look there and get the hang of charging using the cable which came with the car (home point not installed yet), impressive set up the have there, although i couldn't lock the car, tried everything, plugging out , back in, out again ect, ect.. always looking for the complicated solution...... turned out the son hadn't closed the back door properly..... !!

I know (hope) you're joking but That would be a d!ckish thing to do tbh
    It would be funny if there was another FCP nearby but there isnt really, probably J14 is the nearest.

Agree, things are certainly changing that's for sure!

FYI the 80% doesnt really apply to the Ioniq. the 80% is mostly directed at the gen 1 leaf who reaches 80% in 30 minutes. If you're at a chargepoint 30 minutes and you reach 94% it's not your fault that your Ioniq charges a ream faster than the previous gen! It's more of an etiquette (touchy subject around here) that you should (a) not abandon the car at an FCP unless going to buy coffee etc at a services or (b) spend more than 30 minutes unless absolutely necessary. If needed you should absolutely stay at the car.

SCP are destination chargers so the same rules don't really apply (other than don't be a d!ck and abandon for days)
    I agree, although if i was at 80 percent and dident really need the extra juice and somebody was waiting i would unplug, it's nice to be nice and next time that person might let me in a little earlier, we need a friendly approach to ev's and charging, otherwise people will be scared off ev's and view us as a closed group of people :)

• Advertisement

I know (hope) you're joking but That would be a d!ckish thing to do tbh
    It would be funny if there was another FCP nearby but there isnt really, probably J14 is the nearest.
    obviously joking !!

I agree, although if i was at 80 percent and dident really need the extra juice and somebody was waiting i would unplug, it's nice to be nice and next time that person might let me in a little earlier, we need a friendly approach to ev's and charging, otherwise people will be scared off ev's and view us as a closed group of people :)

Good to see, after the thread about the naas FCP that some people with the right mentality are still getting into EV :)
    obviously joking !!
    :D:P

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Not very ambitious. Norway is banning the sale of non-EVs from 2025 and the Netherlands from 2026.

If I'm not mistaken, the Netherlands ban will allow for petrol hybrids. Where as the French ban is on all petrol and Diesel, no hybrid's allowed.

Either way, while I agree with you that both this and the Volvo announcement aren't as exciting as they first seem, they are making front page news in traditional media which is really important as it helps change public perception about EV's and has many "normal" people wondering if they should look at EV's for their next car.

It is these types of changes that shift industries quickly IME.

If I'm not mistaken, the Netherlands ban will allow for petrol hybrids. Where as the French ban is on all petrol and Diesel, no hybrid's allowed.

Either way, while I agree with you that both this and the Volvo announcement aren't as exciting as they first seem, they are making front page news in traditional media which is really important as it helps change public perception about EV's and has many "normal" people wondering if they should look at EV's for their next car.

It is these types of changes that shift industries quickly IME.

Is it just me that is a little disappointed that we need to kill ICE with regulations, as opposed to being confident that EV are the better mode of transport and as such will naturally win out like diesel-electric trains did for example?

I mean incentives are one thing but pure bans?

probably J14 is the nearest.

is that a fast charger? on the eCars map it says Type-2 AC Socket 22kW

this.lad wrote: »
    is that a fast charger? on the eCars map it says Type-2 AC Socket 22kW
    It's a chademo fast charger and 2 AC type 2 22kW (non tethered) chargers.

Is it just me that is a little disappointed that we need to kill ICE with regulations, as opposed to being confident that EV are the better mode of transport and as such will naturally win out like diesel-electric trains did for example?

I mean incentives are one thing but pure bans?

I'm not, Diesel fumes are killing us slowly and are a major health danger. The sooner they are gone, the better for all of us.

Would you argue that Asbestos shouldn't have been banned when it was found to cause cancer? Or that the type of cladding responsible for the Greenfell Tower fire be allowed to continue to be used? Or CFC's from aerosol cans?

Of course not, when something is found to be dangerous to the public's health, it is rightfully banned. Frankly this ban on Diesels is taking too long to introduce IMO.

I do believe that EV's are better then ICE and either way they will replace them. But the reality is, with the exception of Tesla, the motor industry would be much happier to continue producing ICE engines as it is more profitable for them, easier and less disruptive to the industry.

Moves like this are likely to speed up the transition to EV's, which will result in saving peoples lives from Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, etc.

I'm not, Diesel fumes are killing us slowly and are a major health danger. The sooner they are gone, the better for all of us.

Would you argue that Asbestos shouldn't have been banned when it was found to cause cancer? Or that the type of cladding responsible for the Greenfell Tower fire be allowed to continue to be used? Or CFC's from aerosol cans?

Of course not, when something is found to be dangerous to the public's health, it is rightfully banned. Frankly this ban on Diesels is taking too long to introduce IMO.

I do believe that EV's are better then ICE and either way they will replace them. But the reality is, with the exception of Tesla, the motor industry would be much happier to continue producing ICE engines as it is more profitable for them, easier and less disruptive to the industry.

Moves like this are likely to speed up the transition to EV's, which will result in saving peoples lives from Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, etc.

Of course I agree that they should be banned, but I would much prefer if the situation is allowed to happen naturally because if we just legislate for EV only, there is no incentive to improve. I'd much prefer if EV was to "win" because it was the better product, similar to how ICE "won" against EV at the dawn of the 20th century.

(Obviously, I agree about all the environmental issues, I'm no climate change denier lol probably the exact opposite!)

Of course I agree that they should be banned, but I would much prefer if the situation is allowed to happen naturally because if we just legislate for EV only, there is no incentive to improve. I'd much prefer if EV was to "win" because it was the better product, similar to how ICE "won" against EV at the dawn of the 20th century.

(Obviously, I agree about all the environmental issues, I'm no climate change denier lol probably the exact opposite!)

To be fair I think EV's in the next 10 years, in particular Tesla, will make a huge impact on the market. The Ioniq seems to be having a decent impact so I think the next few years we'll start to see true mass market EV's. The infrastructure at present s a little concerning but hopefully a reasonable decision is made...

If no bans then there is no incentive for the manufacturers themselves to change and people too of course.

The French and Germans have looked after their ICE industry far too long and enough is enough, time to move on.

2040 ban in France is an obvious tactic to again, keep the Auto industry in France happy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Most countries are passing zero emission legislation instead of EV legislation. Probably one for another thread :)

liamog wrote: »
    Most countries are passing zero emission legislation instead of EV legislation. Probably one for another thread :)

potato, tomato though right? It's the same thing as a combustion engine can't run on 0 emissions.

potato, tomato though right? It's the same thing as a combustion engine can't run on 0 emissions.

Maybe Hydrogen Fuel Cells too, but in reality it will result in EV's

BTW I suspect this French initiative will likewise be technology neutral too, but will end up EV.

BTW I suspect this French initiative will likewise be technology neutral too, but will end up EV.
    Ah the old HFC chestnut.
    If ever there was a "betamax" in the waiting, there it is!
    I don't ever foresee a day where HFC is the primary mode of transport. The only people it suits are governments and big oil. It doesn't make sense from a logic point of view, only from a taxation, regulation, and matching current refueling infrastructure, point of view

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Tiny nuclear reactors?

Tiny Nuke reactor would be much larger than the car, Nuclear batteries are also too large and extremely inefficient but they have about a 20 year life. There's some range haha. They could provide power and heat to homes though for many years.

I think Nuclear batteries have been abandoned, I'm not so sure there's any R&D any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tiny Nuke reactor would be much larger than the car, Nuclear batteries are also too large and extremely inefficient but they have about a 20 year life. There's some range haha. They could provide power and heat to homes though for many years.

I think Nuclear batteries have been abandoned, I'm not so sure there's any R&D any more.

I think he may have been jesting :D

Would be a cool thing to do though !

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

So I've no charge card and have car now, do I ring a number to turn machine or use different card? Obviously I'm going to drive all evening so need bases covered

• Advertisement

So I've no charge card and have car now, do I ring a number to turn machine or use different card? Obviously I'm going to drive all evening so need bases covered

Try phone with rfid or any card with rfid like leap card, bank card, etc. If none of these work just ring. Phones are supposed to be manned 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

Try phone with rfid or any card with rfid like leap card, bank card, etc. If none of these work just ring. Phones are supposed to be manned 24/7

Thanks! Loving it so far, exceeding expectation

Leap card worked for me yesterday- give ecars a call too and they'll get the cards sent out- looks like they might be a bit slow issuing them at the minute.

Anyone had an issue with break binding at the rear? Getting a bit of vibration from them after it's been parked in the rain. Not sure if it's an issue or if they're just bedding in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Anyone had an issue with break binding at the rear? Getting a bit of vibration from them after it's been parked in the rain. Not sure if it's an issue or if they're just bedding in.

It's a known issue yet some dealers do not know about it :rolleyes:

It's a fairly quick job afaik, they just replace the springs on the rear calipers. I know another owner who got it fixed. I haven't got the noise in about 2 months, seems to have just gone away but I'll be straight into the dealers if it comes back. As you said it seems to be when the car has been parked up on the handbrake in damp weather. I think 'seal' noise is the best way to describe it :)

Also - I have the scheduled charging set up but when I plug in on the granny (still waiting for the main unit to be installed) it goes straight into charging!

Any advice gratefully received!

Anybody?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Newly refurbished Lidl in Drogheda seems to have a fast charging point (saw FCP written there somewhere). First one in this neck of the woods I believe.

Anybody?
    Have a similar issue. Read something about a minimum charge setting on a uk ioniq site: i.e. if the minimum charge is set to 100% it will automatically charge when plugged in. It will automatically charge to whatever the minimum charge is set at. Now to find out how to set the minimum charge level...will investigate tomorrow (if that is in fact the issue. Not sure.)

Neleven wrote: »
    Have a similar issue. Read something about a minimum charge setting on a uk ioniq site: i.e. if the minimum charge is set to 100% it will automatically charge when plugged in. It will automatically charge to whatever the minimum charge is set at. Now to find out how to set the minimum charge level...will investigate tomorrow (if that is in fact the issue. Not sure.)

No joy with that. Couldn't find reference to minimum charge settings in manual or on any screen. I'm at a loss.

First fast charge- 22 mins and was at about 50%. No one waiting so happy to fill it up.

421849.JPG

22 mins to 50% ? that seems too long.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement