Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

22 mins to 50% ? that seems too long.

Sorry, I started at 50%, took about 10 mins to get to 80% and the full 22 mins to reach 100%.

Sweet, Yeah it makes a big difference compared to the 24 Kwh Leaf. I'd say we could easily live with a 40 Kwh battery and 100 Kw charging. That would be a game changer but being able to charge that fast is pretty good. It means 300 Kms is pretty do-a-ble with maybe a 30 min charge and perhaps slowing down a bit. Then AC charge while in town.

300 Kms in a 24 Kwh Leaf ? no thanks. I wouldn't bother. Max I go is maybe 200 Kms with a 30 min charge lol.

So all those who want to pay per Kwh when charges are introduced, take note that the faster you charge the more you get per min, you pay per Kwh then it makes no difference. I'll take per minute thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

1. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171 WH
    2. liamog - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    3. unkel - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    4. Mope - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    5. thelikelylad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171C
    6. woppers - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WX
    7. don't be at yourself - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171D
    8. Ballylad - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171CW
    9. Coconut Joe - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172D
    10.Macker-Ioniq BEV - Metallic Blue.
    11. Fermi - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172MO
    12. Johnnyjohnjohns - Ioniq BEV - Aurora Silver - 172D
    13. this.lad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172
    14. CarefulNow! - Ioniq BEV - Polar White 172D
    15. Moreilly - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 172KE
    16. Neleven - Ioniq BEV - phantom black 172 WW
    17. DglFlyer -Ioniq BEV - phantom black 171 CE

Sweet, Yeah it makes a big difference compared to the 24 Kwh Leaf. I'd say we could easily live with a 40 Kwh battery and 100 Kw charging. That would be a game changer but being able to charge that fast is pretty good. It means 300 Kms is pretty do-a-ble with maybe a 30 min charge and perhaps slowing down a bit. Then AC charge while in town.

300 Kms in a 24 Kwh Leaf ? no thanks. I wouldn't bother. Max I go is maybe 200 Kms with a 30 min charge lol.

So all those who want to pay per Kwh when charges are introduced, take note that the faster you charge the more you get per min, you pay per Kwh then it makes no difference. I'll take per minute thanks.

Ya, I'm tempted to try Tallaght to limerick FCP in one go in a few weeks to see if that's a runner, then charge there and head to Tralee with plenty of range. Based on today it should be doable with about 10-20km range to spare depending on conditions. An FCP in Birdhill would be ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Hyundai would do well with a electric work van. When you think about it everyone in a trade works on sites or at other peoples homes and have access to free electricity for their tools so on. Plus their vans tend to sit on site for hours.
    Would be a huge seller, their vans are very stylish. They should get rid of their only diesel engine option and make it all electric. manoeuvrability.jpg
    Pack in a big battery and get a true 300 km range and watch them sell like hot cakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Hyundai would do well with a electric work van. When you think about it everyone in a trade works on sites or at other peoples homes and have access to free electricity for their tools so on. Plus their vans tend to sit on site for hours.
    Would be a huge seller, their vans are very stylish. They should get rid of their only diesel engine option and make it all electric. manoeuvrability.jpg
    Pack in a big battery and get a true 300 km range and watch them sell like hot cakes.

Sounds like a great idea to get more diesel vans off the road but charging power tools in a customer's house and charging an EV are two different things. If a job goes on for a couple of weeks you could be looking at a fair whack on your leccy bill. That is OK if it is your own vehicle but when you are paying for a service you don't expect to have to pay for their fuel too. Unless they give you a discount for using the electricity of course. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If I was a pay per minute vendor I'd limit the charge rate to 22kW and charge you as much as I could, if I have to charge per kWh I'll install the fastest charger I can to ensure maximum availability.

liamog wrote: »
    If I was a pay per minute vendor I'd limit the charge rate to 22kW and charge you as much as I could, if I have to charge per kWh I'll install the fastest charger I can to ensure maximum availability.

That wouldn't make sense, why would they spend the money on 100 Kw+ chargers for instance and limit them so much.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That wouldn't make sense, why would they spend the money on 100 Kw+ chargers for instance and limit them so much.

My point exactly, if I can charge per minute there is no reason to spend any money on faster chargers.

Of course there is, the faster the charge the less of them they will need if you can get someone in and out in 10-20 mins V 30 +.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

liamog wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

If you use that logic then they can charge 20 Euro's per Kwh for a charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ballylad

Nice colour, what shade colour is it, got black one last week, doing my first fast charge in Naas today, would probably do my 208km round trip but I'd say 20kms left in battery

No point risking it when it charges so fast. I'd do a lot more longer trips int he 24 Kwh leaf if it could charge as fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭this.lad

Neleven wrote: »
    Have a similar issue. Read something about a minimum charge setting on a uk ioniq site: i.e. if the minimum charge is set to 100% it will automatically charge when plugged in. It will automatically charge to whatever the minimum charge is set at. Now to find out how to set the minimum charge level...will investigate tomorrow (if that is in fact the issue. Not sure.)

Just to update. It worked fine last night.

I locked the car and was out of it before i plugged it in, before the keys were in it, maybe that makes the difference?

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly.

You didn't tell us how the Ioniq test drive went and what you and your Mother thought about it ?

Of course there is, the faster the charge the less of them they will need if you can get someone in and out in 10-20 mins V 30 +.

Example time, assuming an Ioniq driver will charge from 10% to 96% at a CCS charger, giving us an energy requirement of 24kWh.

We've seen the current Ioniq seems to have a max charge rate of 70kW. I'm going to simplify a wee bit and assume a constant charge rate for the full 24kWh.

A 24kW charger will charge a car in 60:00 minutes.
    A 50kW charger will charge a car in 28:48 minutes.
    A 70kW charger will charge a car in 20:34 minutes.

This means in 1 hour I can charge 1 (24kW), 2 (50kW), or 3 (70kW), Ioniqs in a single 60 minute block.

To serve 3 customers who must charge in the middle of a road trip, I maximise my income by charging for 180 mins of charging time or 72kWh of energy.

In reality it will probably cost me the same to install three 24kW chargers as a single 70kW charger, I'd be using the same level of grid connection to serve my charging site, so the operating costs are likely similar.

As a driver I'd much rather stop on a motorway for 20mins instead of 60.

I seriously doubt the ESB are intending to install only 22 Kw chargers, by all means they should install as many chargers as possible, not everywhere will require a 100+ Kw charger, the likes of Naas would benefit greatly with 3+ 22 Kw points.

Equally they could charge 5 Euro's per Kwh as you say they could only install 22 Kw chargers. That's not going to happen !

I seriously doubt the ESB are intending to install only 22 Kw chargers, by all means they should install as many chargers as possible, not everywhere will require a 100+ Kw charger, the likes of Naas would benefit greatly with 3+ 22 Kw points.

Equally they could charge 5 Euro's per Kwh as you say they could only install 22 Kw chargers. That's not going to happen !

The point is, a per minute charging infrastructure provides zero incentive to the supplier to upgrade their chargers whereas a per kWh does.

If they go for a €5 per kWh fee, it wouldn't take long for a second operator to set up, especially considering a fast charger needs to make €26.88 a day to pay for itself.

I'd love to see a combined AC/DC 24 kW charger for shopping centers. Efacec have a 24kW CCS charger which would work on a 37A 3 Phase connection.

It would be ideal for shopping centers and the like.

• Advertisement

Sure, they can charge 10 Euro's per min !

They could also have a higher PM charge for higher power chargers and lower PM for lower powered chargers.

Sure, they can charge 10 Euro's per min !

They could also have a higher PM charge for higher power chargers and lower PM for lower powered chargers.

Effectively a per kWh fee, it's the reason it makes sense in the end.

You will pay then to charge at 22 Kw or 100 Kw the same ?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Coconut Joe

Popped down to the Lucan fast charger a few times now, every time there's been a leaf there (different ones) using the DC supply. Can the Ioniq use the AC43 connector, and if yes how does the speed compare to CCS?

If you can then it will only charge at 7 Kw because the AC charger in the Ioniq is 7 Kw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Apologies if this was posted before, someone painted their Ioniq grill white:

http://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/234-hyundai-ioniq-electric-ev/10665-painting-grill.html

To save you a click:

17818452_1254789214633722_636692819611746304_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Yeah that looks 1000 times better, what were Hyundai thinking ? the grey bumper looks horrible !

Yeah that looks 1000 times better, what were Hyundai thinking ? the grey bumper looks horrible !

I like the grey bumper on the black, but for the rest of the colours I think it looks better with a matched bumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

Matching looks the business. Weekend in the car, hardly got out, work tomorrow and I know where my mind will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

positron wrote: »
    Apologies if this was posted before, someone painted their Ioniq grill white:

http://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/234-hyundai-ioniq-electric-ev/10665-painting-grill.html

That looks shocking!

Don't know why people have such an issue with the 'grilll'. It's looks good on white, black and the silvers. Any other colour and I would consider getting it painted/wrapped. The only thing I'd like to change is the copper trim. I'd like to swap that out for the grey trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Gosh the car looks sexy in Aurora Silver... but I did not want to wait months (October) for my car :-)

• Advertisement

Grey plastic looks cheap and tacky no matter what colour it's paired with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think that's the first Ioniq in non black/blue that looks nice. And it's because the painted grille is better imo

Mope wrote: »
    Gosh the car looks sexy in Aurora Silver... but I did not want to wait months (October) for my car :-)

I was lucky to get a cancellation. Really like the colour too as it was a fair gamble!

I'm undecided on the grill, sometimes it looks fine, other times it looks wrong. Loving the car though and to be fair I rarely see the grill.

I was lucky to get a cancellation. Really like the colour too as it was a fair gamble!

I'm undecided on the grill, sometimes it looks fine, other times it looks wrong. Loving the car though and to be fair I rarely see the grill.

It's a beauty, well wear!

Good point about the grill, I guess you don't notice the grill when you're inside driving the car. Must be the same for Leaf owners :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

It's a beauty, well wear!

Good point about the grill, I guess you don't notice the grill when you're inside driving the car. Must be the same for Leaf owners :p

Yes. We don't have the rear windshield blocked by the 3rd brake light either ;)

Have any other owners had issues with CCS on those Efacec triple units?

I've had some issues getting the charge started at Ballacolla similar to what Unkel reported too recently. Also I've had issues at Macroom and Fermoy where the charger just stays on the "Plug in cable" screen and nothing happens. I met another Ioniq owner at Bandon FCP then last week who just had the same issue, he had to ring ecars to get the charge started remotely. Doesn't really inspire confidence if you are relying on one of those units on a journey. Another EV owner told me that there were issues with these when the i3 first came on the scene too which they had to fix with a firmware update. Any i3 owners here? I've heard a Zoe owner complain about FastAC anomalies too on them units. Are these units just pure junk or it just dodgy firmware? I see in the latest ecars newsletter that they have been rolling out firmware updates so hopefully things will improve. Never had a single issue with a dbt unit. :(

goz83 wrote: »
    Yes. We don't have the rear windshield blocked by the 3rd brake light either ;)

I'm sure that's there for aerodynamics but it sure is annoying!

Anyone here driving the Black Ioniq I passed about 20 mins ago in carlow Town at the Presentation School ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I've had some issues getting the charge started at Ballacolla similar to what Unkel reported too recently. Also I've had issues at Macroom and Fermoy where the charger just stays on the "Plug in cable" screen and nothing happens. I met another Ioniq owner at Bandon FCP then last week who just had the same issue, he had to ring ecars to get the charge started remotely. Doesn't really inspire confidence if you are relying on one of those units on a journey. Another EV owner told me that there were issues with these when the i3 first came on the scene too which they had to fix with a firmware update. Any i3 owners here? I've heard a Zoe owner complain about FastAC anomalies too on them units. Are these units just pure junk or it just dodgy firmware? I see in the latest ecars newsletter that they have been rolling out firmware updates so hopefully things will improve. Never had a single issue with a dbt unit. :(

I've had that 'plug in cable' issue on a couple of FCPs recently. Turned on the car, got some error message on the dash, but then it worked on next try...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

In Waterford / Cork on holidays. Had to run some errands and then on to the FCP in Waterford. Drove cruise control at 120km/h, was relatively confident I could do that all the way (170km), but got mild range anxiety at about Kilkenny and couldn't afford to stop elsewhere at slow charger so stepped down to 110km/h and later 100km/h. Better safe than sorry, had 12% left, so would have made it all the way at 120km/h no bother. Total trip was 250km, used 15.1kWh/100km, fully loaded car with, 5 people and air-conditioning on in sport mode

And especially for Mad Lad, I can report that I slow charged in Cobh today taking advantage of free parking and charged the car up from 10% to 100% 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Welcome, visitor.

Welcome! I'll keep an eye out for any not-Cork Ioniqs ;)

Also don't rely on Rochestown FCP if you were planning on it. It's been out of action for a few days.

Cheers lads, lovely part of the country!

There was a Polar white D reg Ioniq in Cobh. But it was a hybrid - meh my kids said :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A pretender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Why would you bother, if you're going for an Ioniq I can find no reason to go for the hybrid.
    -genuinely confused

Remember from the Nyland video? He briefly mentions there's a hybrid and a phev too. Then he immediately dismisses them by saying: you don't want those, you want this one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭jerryg

i3 owner here I have had no issues charging this year I've charged ccs in Ashbourne, Junction 14 in Wicklow, Portlaoise, Urlingford Kilbeggan,Navan and Castlebar and slow chargers in Swineford, Kilkenny,Wicklow and Abbeyleix all with 0 issues.
    Last year 2016 I had more issues but none this year and I have had no updates to car and no problems with 25 K Kms done. Only problem was a faulty bumper sensor replaced by BMW.

unkel wrote: »
    In Waterford / Cork on holidays. Had to run some errands and then on to the FCP in Waterford. Drove cruise control at 120km/h, was relatively confident I could do that all the way (170km), but got mild range anxiety at about Kilkenny and couldn't afford to stop elsewhere at slow charger so stepped down to 110km/h and later 100km/h. Better safe than sorry, had 12% left, so would have made it all the way at 120km/h no bother. Total trip was 250km, used 15.1kWh/100km, fully loaded car with, 5 people and air-conditioning on in sport mode

And especially for Mad Lad, I can report that I slow charged in Cobh today taking advantage of free parking and charged the car up from 10% to 100% 

170 Kms, course you can do that at 15.1 Kwh/100 Kms. :rolleyes: it would have been close though, meaning that's an average consumption figure, changes in wind direction, rain etc can leave you in a spot of bother so always best to charge for a few mins. That Ioniq charges fast , so take advantage. 15.1 average means 180 odd kms, give or take.

Yes see the advantage AC charging brings ?

It was 15.1kWh/100km for the whole trip. The first leg to the FCP had a higher consumption than that, as it was motorway (mostly 120km/h)

And no I can't see myself using a slow charger unless in a very specific situation like this where I'm parked up for several hours and can use free parking. So maybe a few times a year. I knew there were several chargers there with pretty much 100% chance of an available one. I would have just as easily used destination charging with the granny cable in our holiday home

• Advertisement

Yes but the thing about the average is it doesn't take into account a sudden change in weather or driving such as sudden very heavy rain and high winds which is why it's best to charge for a few mins if practical.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement