Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RootX

Hi all,

I've been following this thread for a while, anyone who got theirs on PCP could they advise what the GFV is? it's not clear on Hyundai's website.
    Trying to figure out whether HP or PCP makes more sense, would I be right to assume a higher than normal depreciation as opposed to an ICE car?

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Yes, I'd say higher than on an ICE depreciation. unkel had it broken down in one of his million posts on this thread :D

We went with HP mainly because of no mileage restrictions. I have it from 11th of April and already approaching 9500 KMs...
    As soon as something bigger is on the market (similar shape as Subaru Forester or Subaru Outback) - I am all in :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

RootX wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been following this thread for a while, anyone who got theirs on PCP could they advise what the GFV is? it's not clear on Hyundai's website.
    Trying to figure out whether HP or PCP makes more sense, would I be right to assume a higher than normal depreciation as opposed to an ICE car?

Many thanks.

Website example for PCP....

fsN1MFj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RootX

That's great, thank you, I was looking at this page here, http://challenge.hyundai.ie/calculate?model=92&trim=490&deposit=4000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Mine is around €10K, over a two-year term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Own the car just over 3 months now. 5k km. Tax has cost 30, electricity 5

Was 400 and 900 in previous car :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭this.lad

Own the car just over a week now (this is day 9) 1000km on the clock already! Have no idea what its costing me to run yet but i have it taxed for the year on what it would cost to tax the old one for 2 months.

Allowing for all home charging (which it wasn't but i have no measure of what i have used) all those kms cost less than a tenner. It would have been €80 in diesel!

If you could save €70 on fuel every week on top of the €10 for tax and the cheaper insurance you'd be driving a cheap car!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

this.lad wrote: »
    Own the car just over a week now (this is day 9) 1000km on the clock already! Have no idea what its costing me to run yet but i have it taxed for the year on what it would cost to tax the old one for 2 months.

Allowing for all home charging (which it wasn't but i have no measure of what i have used) all those kms cost less than a tenner. It would have been €80 in diesel!

If you could save €70 on fuel every week on top of the €10 for tax and the cheaper insurance you'd be driving a cheap car!

7 months in with 11,000km on the clock.

Saved €200 a month on Petrol, €25 on Tax and €25 on Insurance.
    Not to mention the approx. €1200 a year we were spending to maintain a 10 year old Fiat Grande Punto.

We reckon we're saving about €4,800 a year at the cost of €6,800. So it's basically costing us €165 a month to drive a brand new car.

Aye, for me it is cheaper (including depreciation) to run a brand new Ioniq compared to my previous worthless banger (with a big petrol engine)

Drove from Cork (Youghal) to Midway (about 170km) to charge and taxi man in Leaf couldn't believe I did that without charging and he was gobsmacked that I drove at 130km/h all the way on the motorway :D

Still had 10% left...

Then onto home and it looks like I did the 250km in total in 15.1kWh/100km. The first bit was on R roads, so that took the average down. I'd say the car can do about 250km on R roads driven at around 70-80km/h. And we were fully loaded, 5 people and car loaded to the roof with stuff. And sport mode with aircon, naturally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Some one on a motor thread today suggested a Leaf as an option for someone looking to get a car doing short journeys. Another poster said to be wary of it and questioned about leases on the battery. God help us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Spotted a white Ioniq 171-CE- in Clare tonight.

Waterford City FCP. The only one around in about 100km. Ah shure, nobody has any of them newfangled yokes anyway. More useful to have a picnic table instead. Lovely dusty area at the back of a petrol station for having something to eat. Great views of some building materials and 40 foot containers. Not :p

422410.jpg

Charger at Midway was busy at around 12 today. Local Leaf taxi just starting to charge. Took him about 20 minutes to get to 80% and in fairness to him, nice man, very interested in Ioniq and he clocked off to let me charge. Then when I was charging a while, a lovely lady in a 30kWh Leaf turned up. Had a chat and clocked myself off as I had enough to go home. Before I left, yet another Leaf parked up!

We do need a lot more FCPs and we need them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I have a loan of an Ioniq for a few days. Very impressed with it. I have a question though, can you carge at the Chademo 50KW chargers?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

unkel wrote: »
    Waterford City FCP. The only one around in about 100km. Ah shure, nobody has any of them newfangled yokes anyway. More useful to have a picnic table instead. Lovely dusty area at the back of a petrol station for having something to eat. Great views of some building materials and 40 foot containers. Not :p

422410.jpg

Charger at Midway was busy at around 12 today. Local Leaf taxi just starting to charge. Took him about 20 minutes to get to 80% and in fairness to him, nice man, very interested in Ioniq and he clocked off to let me charge. Then when I was charging a while, a lovely lady in a 30kWh Leaf turned up. Had a chat and clocked myself off as I had enough to go home. Before I left, yet another Leaf parked up!

We do need a lot more FCPs and we need them now.
    I'll be using that over the next week I'd imagine!

Not going to happen it will be another year before we see any chargers installed making the Network very outdated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Sitec wrote: »
    I have a loan of an Ioniq for a few days. Very impressed with it. I have a question though, can you carge at the Chademo 50KW chargers?

No, you need CCS (on fast chargers) or type-2 (standard chargers). CCS is emerging as the European standard for fast charging ahead of chademo.

No, you need CCS (on fast chargers) or type-2 (standard chargers). CCS is emerging as the European standard for fast charging ahead of chademo.

Ah that makes sense, appreciate your help!

Careful Now, hope you have nice weather for the picnic you're planning for next week.

So I have a loan of a 162 Ioniq for a couple of day, very impressed with it. Drove Dublin to Kilkenny last night and still had 41 km's range (3/4 of the journey at 115 kph). I don't have a home charge but granny charged it over night up to about 95% then topped it up at a public charge point.

It's a nice relaxing drive and the regenerative braking is so easy to get used to and works well. Having KERS is savage! It's actually pretty fun in "Sport" mode.

20170715_185110.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Hey all, been following this thread with quite some interest the last couple of months and it prompted me to seriously consider switching to an EV :)

I have a couple of questions that I was hoping ye might be able to help with? Apologies in advance for the length of this, I tend to give too much detail :o

So unsurprisingly, trying to get a test drive in an Ioniq has proven tricky! The first dealer I rang said they had a demo available that day, when we get there a different person tells us that it's been gone for repairs the last few days :mad: Grand, tried a dealer 1.5 hrs away, turns out they did actually have one on site so we went to go view it. I only managed to get a 5 min spin (in traffic) as apparently it's been sold and they didn't want the new owner to spot their car being driven around...
    Looking at ordering a black one and I've been given a price of just over 30k once the VRT and grant have been deducted. I'm finding it very difficult to get a straight answer on the scrappage offer however, they're not too keen on saying whether I need to have owned something for 6+ months, whether it needs tax and NCT or not but anyway.

The main problems/concerns I have at at the moment are:

1) We rent and will be doing so for the foreseeable future. I'm thinking of asking our landlord if they would be opposed to having a HCP fitted. If they say no then granny cables it is I guess. But we've no outdoor socket either so this would also be a bit of a problem.

2) I commute 100km to work, roughly 6 times over a two week period. It's about 50/50 motorway and national roads with a little bit of city driving at one end.
    I have this idea that I'll be able to do the majority of my charging at work (there's a CP there) with the odd top-up at a local CP near home on my days off. Is this feasible? There's also a couple of CPs along my route if needed.

and the Biggie:
    3) I'm nearly ready to pull the trigger (few more calculations to do and discussions to have!) but have hit an issue - Insurance. Currently I'm paying E650 for fully comp on a 2L turbo diesel with Allianz. I've a full Irish licence and over 10 years NCB, no points etc. Same goes for my named driver (who incidentally is paying E600 to insure his Impreza...)
    Rang Zurich yesterday as was recommended for EVs and the guy quoted me over E900 :eek: He was shocked, said he can't understand why it's like that.
    Tried a few online (AA, Chill etc.) and they're all coming in at over a grand. What the actual funk!?
    May I ask roughly what kind of premiums ye're paying and with whom? It would be a shame to save all the money on fuel or tax differences only to lose it on insurance :D

Thanks a mil.

• Advertisement

I think my OH pays around €400. I'm a named driver. That helps lower the premium, oddly enough. Not sure if she had a specific name to deal with.

Seems some dealers will accept any old banger, other more fussy.

Others with better info will chip in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

It's bloody late so I'll only answer the insurance question. I'm paying €518 for myself with Zurich. It would have been €700 if I was to include the wife on it, but she doesn't want to drive it as it scares her for some reason.

AA had given me a quote of €1500 for just myself.

I told them where to go.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

How much does a fast-charge cost from 10% to 100%?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

How much does a fast-charge cost from 10% to 100%?

Will only go to 94% and currently there is no fee.
    I've been planning for a €6/€7 charge in the future.

liamog wrote: »
    Will only go to 94% and currently there is no fee.
    I've been planning for a €6/€7 charge in the future.

That's not a bad price, even if it cost €6 or 7 for a charge. Are the fast chargers programmed not to go beyond 94%?

That's not a bad price, even if it cost €6 or 7 for a charge. Are the fast chargers programmed not to go beyond 94%?

The car itself limits DC charging to 94%. You can go to 100% on the AC chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

So, tried Dublin to Waterford full load, kids cases the lot. Not achievable by a long shot and was left disappointed. I don't know if my battery is an issue or people here are inflating range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The car itself limits DC charging to 94%. You can go to 100% on the AC chargers.

Hmmmm. That explains it. I needed to use a fast charger today. An Ioniq had plugged in 3 minutes before I arrived. I decided to bring the kids for food while waiting and I plugged in the Leaf and left my charge card sticking out of the bonnet, hoping the ioniq owner would see it and start my charge. Another Leaf had showed up in the mean time.

Ioniq was still charging after we had eaten. It got to 94% and stopped charging. So I started charging mine and the other Leaf owner left. Not a minute later, the ioniq owner comes out, followed by wife and kids. Is there a notification sent when the ioniq is charged? Timing seemed too coincidental for them to show up 2 minutes after charging completed.

Thankfully I wasn't in a rush. I unplugged him and closed up his fuel cap before he showed up. I took 15 minutes of power and went on my way. We so need more charge points at busier locations.

So, tried Dublin to Waterford full load, kids cases the lot. Not achievable by a long shot and was left disappointed. I don't know if my battery is an issue or people here are inflating range.

What? So you got stuck then? :( No other fast chargers once you are past Naas. You were fully charged setting off?

Did it only last week. Few local drives first, then onto Waterford FCP most of the way at active cruise on 120km/h until I got range anxiety and slowed down a little bit towards the end. Car would have easily done the whole way down at 120km/h

Car also fully loaded to the roof with heavy stuff and 5 people inside

• Advertisement

goz83 wrote: »
    Is there a notification sent when the ioniq is charged? Timing seemed too coincidental for them to show up 2 minutes after charging completed.

There is a new app, developed for Ioniq, that can do that. Maybe he used the app.

More likely is that he just came back when he knew car would be finished. The car tells you when you plug in how long it takes to full (94%) and it seems fairly reliable.

Ioniq was still charging after we had eaten. It got to 94% and stopped charging. So I started charging mine and the other Leaf owner left. Not a minute later, the ioniq owner comes out, followed by wife and kids. Is there a notification sent when the ioniq is charged? Timing seemed too coincidental for them to show up 2 minutes after charging completed.

No notification, the car gives a time to charge estimate when you plug in. So far it's been almost uncannily accurate.

It will charge to 84% at full speed then drops down to about 22kW for 84-94.
    We try to time our returns for 84% which is usually 9 minutes before the end.
    If no one's waiting we hang around for the 9 minutes.

We're the same Liam, try to be back a bit earlier to see if someone is waiting. There is an app though that does charging notifications. Only needs a bluetooth ELM427 plugged in to OBD2. I think it was mope who posted it here a few weeks ago.

Cocolola wrote: »
    Hey all, been following this thread with quite some interest the last couple of months and it prompted me to seriously consider switching to an EV :)

I have a couple of questions that I was hoping ye might be able to help with? Apologies in advance for the length of this, I tend to give too much detail :o

So unsurprisingly, trying to get a test drive in an Ioniq has proven tricky! The first dealer I rang said they had a demo available that day, when we get there a different person tells us that it's been gone for repairs the last few days :mad: Grand, tried a dealer 1.5 hrs away, turns out they did actually have one on site so we went to go view it. I only managed to get a 5 min spin (in traffic) as apparently it's been sold and they didn't want the new owner to spot their car being driven around...
    Looking at ordering a black one and I've been given a price of just over 30k once the VRT and grant have been deducted. I'm finding it very difficult to get a straight answer on the scrappage offer however, they're not too keen on saying whether I need to have owned something for 6+ months, whether it needs tax and NCT or not but anyway.

The main problems/concerns I have at at the moment are:

1) We rent and will be doing so for the foreseeable future. I'm thinking of asking our landlord if they would be opposed to having a HCP fitted. If they say no then granny cables it is I guess. But we've no outdoor socket either so this would also be a bit of a problem.

2) I commute 100km to work, roughly 6 times over a two week period. It's about 50/50 motorway and national roads with a little bit of city driving at one end.
    I have this idea that I'll be able to do the majority of my charging at work (there's a CP there) with the odd top-up at a local CP near home on my days off. Is this feasible? There's also a couple of CPs along my route if needed.

and the Biggie:
    3) I'm nearly ready to pull the trigger (few more calculations to do and discussions to have!) but have hit an issue - Insurance. Currently I'm paying E650 for fully comp on a 2L turbo diesel with Allianz. I've a full Irish licence and over 10 years NCB, no points etc. Same goes for my named driver (who incidentally is paying E600 to insure his Impreza...)
    Rang Zurich yesterday as was recommended for EVs and the guy quoted me over E900 :eek: He was shocked, said he can't understand why it's like that.
    Tried a few online (AA, Chill etc.) and they're all coming in at over a grand. What the actual funk!?
    May I ask roughly what kind of premiums ye're paying and with whom? It would be a shame to save all the money on fuel or tax differences only to lose it on insurance :D

Thanks a mil.

I got a quote for 900 from Zurich direct. A broker is giving ne the Zurich policy for under 500, figure that out if you can.

My renewal is in July, before I bought my current insurer said the renewal would be about 495. After I changed they said it would be 600. They can stick it.

KBC rang the other day too, same Zurich policy for about 480. I had been on to them about the car loan originally which is how they got my number and knew about the renewal.

Have another question about Ioniq, the noise it makes when moving off or driving slowly. Is that artificial?

Have another question about Ioniq, the noise it makes when moving off or driving slowly. Is that artificial?

Artificial and is controlled by a button, they call it VESS (virtual engine surround sound)

• Advertisement

Artificial and is controlled by a button, they call it VESS (virtual engine surround sound)

I was wondering what that button was about! I probably should read the manual but I'm having too much fun driving it. Did over 500 km's since Friday, I'm living in the thing!

Sport mode is good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Hey all, just seen in the other thread that Nissan are releasing details of new leaf for next year in September, is there any plans for Hyundai launching anything new or will it be the same as what we have this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Hey all, just seen in the other thread that Nissan are releasing details of new leaf for next year in September, is there any plans for Hyundai launching anything new or will it be the same as what we have this year?

I think http://insideevs.com/200-mile-hyundai-ioniq-electric-coming-in-2018/ was the last information.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Cheers for that, still hard to know if it will be available over here for next year, unfortunately it's likely it will be priced above the current model at the moment too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Thanks for the replies, got on to a few more insurance companies and armed with the info on what others are paying I've gotten it down to around E630, or no change with current insurer, which is a hell of a lot better that the E1000+ I was initially getting quoted!!

Also, the scrappage offer seems to be finally gone now but the dealer can still get us in as we were enquiring at the weekend about it.

Rang estate agent, landlord is ok with HCP being installed as long as it's not at the front of the house (grand, will be at the side). Talked to Facilities at work who said I'd be the first in the company to use the electric car spaces and that it's most likely free.

So rather terrifyingly, I've put a deposit down :eek: Never had a car newer than 5 years old. Though I'm already getting a lot of comments from people on depreciation, asking am I mad etc. Ideally I'd love one in Aurora Silver but the temptation to have one at the end of August is too much so Phantom Black it is :P

Loan application is made, fingers crossed it's approved - it's quite a chunk of change! Decided to go with slightly higher cost of a bank loan rather than dealer HP just because I'd rather have the freedom to sell earlier if needed.

Thanks for the replies, got on to a few more insurance companies and armed with the info on what others are paying I've gotten it down to around E630, or no change with current insurer, which is a hell of a lot better that the E1000+ I was initially getting quoted!!

Also, the scrappage offer seems to be finally gone now but the dealer can still get us in as we were enquiring at the weekend about it.

Rang estate agent, landlord is ok with HCP being installed as long as it's not at the front of the house (grand, will be at the side). Talked to Facilities at work who said I'd be the first in the company to use the electric car spaces and that it's most likely free.

So rather terrifyingly, I've put a deposit down :eek: Never had a car newer than 5 years old. Though I'm already getting a lot of comments from people on depreciation, asking am I mad etc. Ideally I'd love one in Aurora Silver but the temptation to have one at the end of August is too much so Phantom Black it is :P

Loan application is made, fingers crossed it's approved - it's quite a chunk of change! Decided to go with slightly higher cost of a bank loan rather than dealer HP just because I'd rather have the freedom to sell earlier if needed.

Did exactly like you! Went with credit union just in case. Have her a since 7 July and am loving it. Herself was very apprehensive about the whole thing but loves the car now, I could end up back in the ICE myself at this rate!

Doing almost all home charging too and you'd hardly see it on the meter. Was in Dublin today so I gave her a blast on the fast charger, great job! Living in the sticks there's no network point nearby. That said I could do Dublin return and back up again on one charge so no panic.

I'm charging on the granny at the min. Installer wouldn't fit the charger as every pipe in the hotpress isn't earthed. Learn something new every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

Is there deliveries in August? , I thought the next batch was not till October

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Just to recap on few posts from last few pages.

yes, I mentioned the app, it's available and Developer is hard at work constantly making improvements on it. It is called EVNotify.

As for the trip from Dublin to Waterford - it is only 170+ odd KMs - how did you not make it? All the way 120 with heavy front wind maybe? I am surprised you did not make it.

As for all people who just bought the car or about to - fair play guys! you will not regret :] I was living in the car too and each occasion I had - I would drive it! Yes, we all will loose money on the car, but who cares? I love driving it, love how cheap my commute is. Yes we pay for the car monthly, but I account that money for the fact I actually like the new car feel, "taste" and all that. Maybe I am weird, but I don't think much about how much will I loose in the end when changing to something with more space in trunk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

Fair play to ya.

But you do know Nissan are announcing a new Leaf in about 6 weeks, and they're still offering scrappage yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Just a little bit of useless information for you Ioniq owners.
    I was cycling into work this morning on a quiet country road when I was overtaken by a 171 reg Ioniq. At about 80kmph the noise it makes is much the same as a modern diesel or petrol at that speed without acceleration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Orebro

macnab wrote: »
    I was cycling into work this morning on a quiet country road when I was overtaken by a 171 reg Ioniq. At about 80kmph the noise it makes is much the same as a modern diesel or petrol at that speed without acceleration.

That would be called tyre noise - they don't hover over the ground you know :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Hi, any recomendations on dealers that are any good. I've tried dealing with a big one in the west of ireland, but they seem utterly uninterested in selling me a car and I'm close to pulling the trigger, and would have done by now, if they bothered to respond to emails, telephone calls etc.
    So any dealer/or individual sales people recommendations would be greatfully received. I dont care about location as if I'm going to spend this much I'm happy to travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

macnab wrote: »

Maybe it was a hybrid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Maybe it was a hybrid?

Nope, the Nissan Leaf makes as much noise as it passes.
    It's not just tyre noise, there is wind interference noise too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement