Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

macnab wrote: »
    Nope, the Nissan Leaf makes as much noise as it passes.
    It's not just tyre noise, there is wind interference noise too.

The only place the noise really matters is in city and urban areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Macker wrote: »
    Is there deliveries in August? , I thought the next batch was not till October

Ya I'd heard that too but the dealer said he was getting two black ones in around the end of August. I'm a bit skeptical about it though!

Soarer wrote: »
    Fair play to ya.

But you do know Nissan are announcing a new Leaf in about 6 weeks, and they're still offering scrappage yeah?

I do, but even with the new design I still wouldn't be too keen on one I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Orebro

macnab wrote: »
    Nope, the Nissan Leaf makes as much noise as it passes.
    It's not just tyre noise, there is wind interference noise too.

Why are you so surprised at this? EVs have to drive through the wind and have tyres like any other car! The only difference is the drivetrain. Most modern petrol and diesel cars make very little noise when cruising along at speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

Hi, any recomendations on dealers that are any good. I've tried dealing with a big one in the west of ireland, but they seem utterly uninterested in selling me a car and I'm close to pulling the trigger, and would have done by now, if they bothered to respond to emails, telephone calls etc.
    So any dealer/or individual sales people recommendations would be greatfully received. I dont care about location as if I'm going to spend this much I'm happy to travel.

Can't help with the dealer, but like what keeps getting mentioned, the new Leaf is being announced in 6 weeks. So maybe hang on until then?
    Cocolola wrote: »
    I do, but even with the new design I still wouldn't be too keen on one I don't think.

Fair enough, each to their own.

But on the off chance that it's visually ok, and has a usable 40kWh battery, and might be available @ around €20k with €4k scrappage.....

Not trying to urinate on your chips or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ioniq

Picking my Ioniq on Thursday, any idea how long before I get the grant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Dealer sorts out the grant as part of the sale. Charger is typically installed within 2 or 3 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Orebro wrote: »
    Why are you so surprised at this? EVs have to drive through the wind and have tyres like any other car! The only difference is the drivetrain. Most modern petrol and diesel cars make very little noise when cruising along at speed.

I'm not in the least bit surprised, I have owned 2 EV's and hope to move on to a 100% EV household soon. This was just a bit of trivia for the non EV drivers who use this thread to educate themselves on the Hyundai Ioniq.
    Make of that what you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

There's a black one sitting outside Tesco on Naas. Presume its not sold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ioniq wrote: »
    Picking my Ioniq on Thursday, any idea how long before I get the grant?

Love your username and welcome to boards :D

You don't get the grant, the dealer gets it and deducts it from the price of the car. Obviously they did not explain that to you very well :(
    Hi, any recomendations on dealers that are any good.

PM sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Hi, any recomendations on dealers that are any good. I've tried dealing with a big one in the west of ireland, but they seem utterly uninterested in selling me a car and I'm close to pulling the trigger, and would have done by now, if they bothered to respond to emails, telephone calls etc.
    So any dealer/or individual sales people recommendations would be greatfully received. I dont care about location as if I'm going to spend this much I'm happy to travel.

Well I only have experience of the Hyundai dealer in Airside, Swords, Dublin. I took a 5 minute test drive in the Ioniq and wanted to know if the car would suit me for a longer drive, so asked about a 2 day test drive. I was told it wouldn't be a problem and it would be arranged inside of a few days. I followed up with an email and was told I would contacted shortly to arrange test drive. So, i'm sitting by the telephone machine a good few months now. Pretty crappy imo and I wouldn't go near them again.

goz83 wrote: »
    Well I only have experience of the Hyundai dealer in Airside, Swords, Dublin. I took a 5 minute test drive in the Ioniq and wanted to know if the car would suit me for a longer drive, so asked about a 2 day test drive. I was told it wouldn't be a problem and it would be arranged inside of a few days. I followed up with an email and was told I would contacted shortly to arrange test drive. So, i'm sitting by the telephone machine a good few months now. Pretty crappy imo and I wouldn't go near them again.

Was in touch with those lads, they told me they wouldn't have any in until October, and that I'd be better off waiting until January (this is when every other dealer in Dublin had them for immediate delivery!).

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

ah, dealers in the west of Ireland - Castlebar, Sligo do not want to sell EVs, and Galway is not really that helpful place.

I can give you contact for a dealer in Limerick where I bought mine..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Cocolola wrote:
    Loan application is made, fingers crossed it's approved - it's quite a chunk of change! Decided to go with slightly higher cost of a bank loan rather than dealer HP just because I'd rather have the freedom to sell earlier if needed.

HP doesn't prevent you selling early. As long as an arrangement is made with the purchaser to have the finance paid off then it isn't an issue.

I've done this myself, shown the buyer the outstanding finance letter and they paid that themselves with a small cash balance on asking price to me.

If you're trading in through a dealer then there's no hassle as they take care of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

Dublin to Killarney complete with one stop at the Limerick FCP. Got low battery warning- 13% just before arriving at Topaz with about 24km range left. Average speed was 108kph. I stuck to 110 on the motorway to try and ensure the range but had AC on, cruise control, iPad charging, etc.

We stayed about an hour to feed us, our son and change him but car was done after 38mins. Headed back on the road and made Killarney with 97km remaining.

Overall very happy with the Ioniq and we charged up in Killarney this evening too. The wife is loving it so far- so win, win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Have to say the noise from the Ioniq is like something from a film!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Make sure to charge up your cars tonight lads... thunderstorms on the way! :P

Dublin to Killarney complete with one stop at the Limerick FCP. Got low battery warning- 13% just before arriving at Topaz with about 24km range left. Average speed was 108kph. I stuck to 110 on the motorway to try and ensure the range but had AC on, cruise control, iPad charging, etc.

That's 200km and you had 24km left (this seems to be conservative, the battery percentage is less conservative and probably more accurate), so very good going at that average speed!

Thinking of having the plastic grille of my Platinum Silver Ioniq wrapped in either silver or glossy black. Which would you pick and where would you have it done and how much do you think it will set me back?

unkel wrote: »
    Thinking of having the plastic grille of my Platinum Silver Ioniq wrapped in either silver or glossy black. Which would you pick and where would you have it done and how much do you think it will set me back?

Haven't had it done but also thinking of.mine either wrapped or sprayed (white)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Here ye go ....lovely

hyundai-ioniq-zonnebloemen.jpg

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »
    Make sure to charge up your cars tonight lads... thunderstorms on the way! :P

http://en.sat24.com/en

Looks like only a few rumbles and flashes and a bit of rain, the usual Irish "Thunderstorm" these days.

Look at the south west of France lucky gits ! :D

Looks like it will as usual shave us and hit the U.K we get the tail end if anything.

Interesting efficiency tests at 12C (so about Irish yearly average daytime temperature?)

Real GPS speed 90km/h => 11.2 kWh/100km (range 250km)
    Real GPS speed 150km/h => 21.6 kWh/100km (range 130km)

Irish context:

you could drive Ioniq from Dublin to Cork without charging if you stick to 90km/h (and hope for the best, you might be a few km short :D). It would take 2h45m

Or you could drive at 150km/h with a 30m charge right in the middle if there was one and do it in 2h10

I like taking the old National routes sometimes and going through the old towns and villages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭this.lad

I like taking the old National routes sometimes and going through the old towns and villages.

I'm with you on that. Motorways are so boring to drive on. The towns that were previously congested aren't too bad now in many cases.

I don't mind that either. And that kinda driving is absolutely perfect for stretching range in an EV. The rest of the family don't agree with me though - hard to look at your device on a rough and bendy road :p

Did a bit of that last weekend and saw some lovely scenes in Waterford / Tipperary that I hadn't seen for a very long time, with abandoned petrol pumps from the 40s and 50s etc

It does take a lot more time as you average about 60-70km/h even when pushing it vs average 110-135km/h on motorways

Interesting efficiency tests at 12C (so about Irish yearly average daytime temperature?)

Real GPS speed 90km/h => 11.2 kWh/100km (range 250km)
    Real GPS speed 150km/h => 21.6 kWh/100km (range 130km)

Irish context:

you could drive Ioniq from Dublin to Cork without charging if you stick to 90km/h (and hope for the best, you might be a few km short :D). It would take 2h45m

Or you could drive at 150km/h with a 30m charge right in the middle if there was one and do it in 2h10

I've often wondered if it's quicker to put the foot down and factor in a fast charger rather than nurse it along significantly under the speed limit. Seems like it is!

Something that interests me too :D

I guess it depends on where the chargers are and obviously in above example I presume I can stop in an instant and have a free charger waiting for me, without having to make a detour. This is not always going to be the case. And less and less so while we still have free charging. And there's another thing. Once the charging is paid for, it is of course cheaper to drive slower and not have to charge. And it depends if you need to make a stop for other reasons anyway (food / coffee / stretch / break / toilets). If so, you might as well do that at the same time as charging

I do like making swift progress though. I can not see myself driving at 100km/h on a motorway. Never mind 90km/h or below...

Car booked in for a gloss black front grille wrap. Pics to follow in a few days!

Car booked in for a gloss black front grille wrap. Pics to follow in a few days!

Where are you getting it done? €?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

Something that interests me too :D

I guess it depends on where the chargers are and obviously in above example I presume I can stop in an instant and have a free charger waiting for me, without having to make a detour. This is not always going to be the case. And less and less so while we still have free charging. And there's another thing. Once the charging is paid for, it is of course cheaper to drive slower and not have to charge. And it depends if you need to make a stop for other reasons anyway (food / coffee / stretch / break / toilets). If so, you might as well do that at the same time as charging

I do like making swift progress though. I can not see myself driving at 100km/h on a motorway. Never mind 90km/h or below...

110kph was the sweet spot as it meant the baby didn't get disturbed by another stop and meant we were only about 10-15 mins slower than if driving at the limit. Given the time to pull off e motorway, connect to the FCP and get enough juice driving a little quicker didn't make much sense.

• Advertisement

110kph was the sweet spot as it meant the baby didn't get disturbed by another stop and meant we were only about 10-15 mins slower than if driving at the limit. Given the time to pull off e motorway, connect to the FCP and get enough juice driving a little quicker didn't make much sense.

Makes perfect sense. And with Dublin-Galway, Dublin-Limerick, Dublin-Belfast and Cork-Limerick all around 200km, I guess on these trips (when you have destination / home charging) about 110km/h would be the best trade off between speed and time, enabling all of these to be done in a reasonable time frame without stopping to charge
    this.lad wrote: »
    Where are you getting it done? €?

All will be revealed when I have pics up, once I have negotiated a decent referral fee for myself :pac:

Makes perfect sense. And with Dublin-Galway, Dublin-Limerick, Dublin-Belfast and Cork-Limerick all around 200km, I guess on these trips (when you have destination / home charging) about 110km/h would be the best trade off between speed and time, enabling all of these to be done in a reasonable time frame without stopping to charge

All will be revealed when I have pics up, once I have negotiated a decent referral fee for myself :pac:

Cute hoor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Minister for Climate Change, repeats the false notion that Volvo won't make any more diesel or petrol engines after 2019.

Also one suggested action in the CC Plan is to reduce speed on motorways to 110kph. Maybe they should leave EVs do 120kph.

All EVs by 2030 is the aim. Not sure how we are to get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

Makes perfect sense. And with Dublin-Galway, Dublin-Limerick, Dublin-Belfast and Cork-Limerick all around 200km

Dublin-Cork is 260km, Cork-Limerick is 100km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

Referrals aren't allowed on Boards! ;)

Dropping the speeds on the motorways is completely daft and you can be sure the speed vans will be sitting there getting everyone doing 115-120 Kph, ridiculous.

What would make a lot more sense is to have different speed limits for different times on certain congested motorways.

The M50 is capped at 100 Kph, ridiculous, have it 120 Kph at off peak hours.

I doubt there's be any more incentives for electrics all I heard was the continuation of the grant and vrt relief.

I seriously doubt funds will be made available for the charging infrastructure and then it will be 2 years behind very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Dropping the speeds on the motorways is completely daft and you can be sure the speed vans will be sitting there getting everyone doing 115-120 Kph, ridiculous.

What they should do is drop motorway speeds to 120kph and put up signs saying "120 but we really mean it!"

Some should be limited to 130 Kph on the motorways in the country areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

Hello there,

I plan to use the public charging station today for the first time, the one at the Galway Airport. It has CHAdeMo, Combo or Fast AC, all at 43kW

Which one am I using?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Fermi wrote: »
    Hello there,

I plan to use the public charging station today for the first time, the one at the Galway Airport. It has CHAdeMo, Combo or Fast AC, all at 43kW

Which one am I using?

Thanks
    CCS but if there's another Leaf you'll need to wait as although they are chademo it is DC like CCS so only one at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Can the speedo on the Ioniq be changed from MPH to KPH if brought in from the UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Car in this review video has the black grill, and it looks way better than that 'designed forgot to colour this panel' default gray. I think this is an optional extra from Hyundai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T99gc2aUJmg

I dunno... I think we are just conditioned to see a black gaping hole in the front of a car. Maybe the grey (silver?) isn't the best option but I quite like it. I think making it body coloured looks a bit odd. Like I say... I dunno. :D

That better?

422953.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Falcon L wrote: »
    I dunno... I think we are just conditioned to see a black gaping hole in the front of a car. Maybe the grey (silver?) isn't the best option but I quite like it. I think making it body coloured looks a bit odd. Like I say... I dunno. :D

we were also conditioned to see trains as things with chimneys

we are getting over that

• Advertisement

BoatMad wrote: »
    we were also conditioned to see trains as things with chimneys

we are getting over that
    So, you reckon blacking the "grille" isn't harking back to what currently see as normal?

Falcon L wrote: »
    So, you reckon blacking the "grille" isn't harking back to what currently see as normal?

in time EVs will develop their own design paradigms, right now manufacturers are just trying not to frighten the sheep too much

in time EVs will develop their own design paradigms, right now manufacturers are just trying not to frighten the sheep too much
    :D:D

Somebody should have told BMW and Nissan that :pac:

Somebody should have told BMW and Nissan that :pac:

I know many people that quite like the Leaf and the i3 is a lovely looking car

petrolheads dont like the leaf, but then petrol heads DONT buy a leaf, why design a car for the people that DONT want to buy it !!!

given the Leaf is the worlds best selling EV, I fail to see your point

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement