Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

But it's your own point :)

Neither the Leaf nor the i3 are conventional looking. If they were, they would have sold more. In particular the Leaf. There could have been twice as many around if it looked like an Avensis or a Mondeo. Yeah boring, but conventional, and not frightening the sheep too much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

unkel wrote: »
    That better?

You could have gone with carbon fiber foil ;)

Neither the Leaf nor the i3 are conventional looking. If they were, they would have sold more. In particular the Leaf. There could have been twice as many around if it looked like an Avensis or a Mondeo. Yeah boring, but conventional, and not frightening the sheep too much...

They wouldn't at the early stage.

grogi wrote: »
    You could have gone with carbon fiber foil ;)

I would have gone with a silver wrap, but I asked the experts and they unanimously told me glossy black was what the car needed

And I'm about 30 years too old for a car with fake carbon fibre :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

there is no evidence that the shape put people off, most of the decisions against buying an EV are related to the issues around EVs not the shape.

Nissan make "econoboxes" in that segment, looks are not the key factor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Unkel, you should have gone all the way and designed an aerodynamic nose cone for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

That's yours i saw in Facebook so! was wondering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

BoatMad wrote: »
    there is no evidence that the shape put people off, most of the decisions against buying an EV are related to the issues around EVs not the shape.

Nissan make "econoboxes" in that segment, looks are not the key factor

Sorry but no your wrong. If the leaf was more conventional or even decent looking two or three years ago it would have sold more.

To pretend otherwise is laughable.

The leaf and the i3 revel on the oddness it's par of the course for ev designers of old. It was acceptable.

Thank God it no longer is acceptable.

I gathered you wondering why Nissan have suddenly now decide to completely overhaul the leaf not a face-lift a complete revamp of the design. Why, because people don't like it.

listermint wrote: »

I gathered you wondering why Nissan have suddenly now decide to completely overhaul the leaf not a face-lift a complete revamp of the design. Why, because people don't like it.

sorry link to back that up , the sunderland line is nearly up and running

Sorry but no your wrong. If the leaf was more conventional or even decent looking two or three years ago it would have sold more.

To pretend otherwise is laughable.

The leaf and the i3 revel on the oddness it's par of the course for ev designers of old. It was acceptable.

Thank God it no longer is acceptable.

the fact remains , its the largest selling EV in the world . you cannot simple make that statement without facts , other wise its just your personal perception

• Advertisement

sorry link to back that up , the sunderland line is nearly up and running

Link to back it up?

What link. It's a ugly ass car. Just because you like it doesn't mean anything. If it was more conventional looking it would have sold.

It's taken tesla to make evs sexy and acceptable via design. Oh and look no everyone is falling into line. Through design.

It's not rocket science. Ugly is ugly the new one will sell far more than ever because it looks better

the fact remains , its the largest selling EV in the world . you cannot simple make that statement without facts , other wise its just your personal perception

It's the longest production ev in the world. Of course it's gonna have sold the most.

Your being ridiculous now

Link to back it up?

What link. It's a ugly ass car. Just because you like it doesn't mean anything. If it was more conventional looking it would have sold.

It's taken tesla to make evs sexy and acceptable via design. Oh and look no everyone is falling into line. Through design.

It's not rocket science. Ugly is ugly the new one will sell far more than ever because it looks better

of the people I showed the leaf too , only one didnt like the shape, women seem to generally like the design I find

arsehole petrol heads tend to hate it, but then their not the market

of the people I showed the leaf too , only one didnt like the shape, women seem to generally like the design I find

In the stage the Leaf was released, the unusual shape was actually an advantage. A person who was interested in buying in BEV would not be discouraged by the looks, while the unique shape was promoting the car in the streets.

Right now, when BEV are getting more mainstream, it is time to get more into Joe Average taste... Ioniq is much more conservative, new Leaf will be too.

grogi wrote: »
    In the stage the Leaf was released, the unusual shape was actually an advantage. A person who was interested in buying in BEV would not be discouraged by the looks, while the unique shape was promoting the car in the streets.

Right now, when BEV are getting more mainstream, it is time to get more into Joe Average taste... Ioniq is much more conservative, new Leaf will be too.

yes which is why I made the comment that the designs now are so as to not scare the sheep.

Arsehole petrol heads...

What a stupid comment.

On one hand your saying the leaf is unique and has a left field design that you appear to revel in not everyone liking.

On the other hand you call people arseholes for not liking it.

Sorry Boat your a joker my friend, make your mind up will ya.

Nissan are changing the design because it's rubbish and can't compete with what's coming. End of story. They have to change it, it won't sell in the numbers required to compete. But im sure you'll find some other random ev with a mad design that people don't really enjoy so you can revel in calling them arseholes..

Arsehole petrol heads...

What a stupid comment.

On one hand your saying the leaf is unique and has a left field design that you appear to revel in not everyone liking.

On the other hand you call people arseholes for not liking it.

Sorry Boat your a joker my friend, make your mind up will ya.

Nissan are changing the design because it's rubbish and can't compete with what's coming. End of story. They have to change it, it won't sell in the numbers required to compete. But im sure you'll find some other random ev with a mad design that people don't really enjoy so you can revel in calling them arseholes..

I think Cros make the comments about "left field deigns : , I merely disagreed with you contention that people dont like the look of its

I also agree that EVs will look more mainstream as the popularity grows, personally that disappoints me. Id prefer quirky

Nissan is making quite minor style modifications to the leaf, largely around the front lamps, the basic shape isntg changing all that much ,. as far as I can tell

and yes arsehole petroleads typically beef about the Leaf, when in fact they'd never buy one anyway . no matter how it looked

nissan_leaf_206_0.jpg

very similar shape IMHO

I think Cros make the comments about "left field deigns : , I merely disagreed with you contention that people dont like the look of its

I also agree that EVs will look more mainstream as the popularity grows, personally that disappoints me. Id prefer quirky

Nissan is making quite minor style modifications to the leaf, largely around the front lamps, the basic shape isntg changing all that much ,. as far as I can tell

and yes arsehole petroleads typically beef about the Leaf, when in fact they'd never buy one anyway . no matter how it looked

You've said exactly what I thought.

You revel in being unique and don't really like the fact that Nissan are making the leaf design more acceptable for the masses.

Kinda pretty much like a hipster.. I used to listen to than music but then they became mainstream... Booooo.

Dwell on that. You may not have considered being hipster before but here it is :)

Leaf II is not a new model but a heavy facelift. New front and rear end, new-ish interior and new drivetrain probably and battery.

• Advertisement

You mustn't have shown it to many people then. Or more likely, the people you showed your car to were polite and /or Irish (charming, diplomatic, not blunt) and / or well brought up :)

The most common description I've heard from random people describing the Leaf is something like this: "a big ugly f'in Micra"

And that's coming from me, who was ready to buy a brand new Leaf last year, despite its looks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

The most common description I've heard from random people describing the Leaf is something like this: "a big ugly f'in Micra"
    I never liked it from the outset - although it's kind of grown on me (or is it that I just don't give a fiddlers). I constantly tell people it's ugly and many agree. However, like boatmad there seems to be a disproportionate reaction from women who are inclined to contradict me and say it looks good.

Either way, I don't give a rats a$$. Only thing that matters = €160/month savings (and actually, as a result of calcs on the 'ev savings' thread, it looks like that figure is much more - i.e. €211/month saved). For that, it can come in pink polka-dot and I'd still drive it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

Tramore to Dublin, low battery warning so pull in at naas with 14% left.

Conditions were ... 120kph, full car, no air con on. 146km done and car was saying 24km left.

That reasonable given it was all motorway?

Presume you started with 100%? About right then. Did Dublin to Waterford City (after a few errands), total 170km, got range anxiety that I couldn't make it all the way at 120km/h so slowed down towards the end. Ended up with 12% iirc, but I would have made it alright at 120km/h, but with no more than 4-5% left I'd say

I guess we have something like this

90km/h -> 250km
    100km/h -> 225km
    110km/h -> 205km
    120km/h -> 180km
    130km/h -> 165km
    150km/h -> 130km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

Is that indicated or actual speed?

Actual mostly. The 90km/h and 150km/h were done recently in Germany, dry, 12C, car with just a driver (not that it makes much difference when you do a constant speed most of the time). GPS speed. The rest I've just interpolated and based on my own experience (with 5 people on board and loaded car). And the indicated speed is only 4km/h higher than the actual speed (5km/h higher above 100km/h). Measured that myself and I've seen it confirmed by several other people on here and in other forums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭this.lad

Anyone else find that the charge on schedule settings keep resetting themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Lads when is the PHEV being released here?

Just wondering, when you charge to 100% and 94% what Range does your car read?

Mine not very high. About 220km and 200km is about the highest I have seen (lowest not much lower than that). That's the fault of the driver, not the car :D

Been all around the south east and west past couple of weeks mine is worse! I must have the steel toe caps on when driving!

Should improve over next few as I get back to normal

• Advertisement

And on another note. I got overtaken on the M2 yesterday. That in itself is relatively rare. And the car overtaking me was another Ioniq EV. What are the chances of that? One in a million? :D

And I had 2 encounters with 2 different Ioniq EVs on the main road outside my estate in Lucan. In one week! Most of the ones I see are white. Is there still some availability in them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

If charging at home, 100% reads as about 248km. Fast charge brings it to about 224km.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

So who owned the white Ioniq plugged into charger and clamped outside the National Concert Hall today?

They must have missed the post on Wednesday about the clamped Leaf on South Lotts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭this.lad

The day I picked it up it said 217 @100% and it remains the same. That said I did about 150km today and the remaining km added up to about 135.

How is it calculated? Recent history or all time average?

Recent history when starting off then it adjusts based on current driving conditions.

You learn to use the battery % over the Guess-O-Meter. The battery % shows exactly what's left.

The GOM in Ioniq is probably as good as they get in EVs. But indeed, it seems to induce range anxiety when you drive the car at 120km/h for a long time and you still have quite some distance to go to the next FCP. It says 45 km left, you have 45km to do, so you might not make it. Anxiety!!! Until you check that it actually has 33% left. That's good for 33% times 180km range at 120km/h, so 60km. So you will make your trip comfortably...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The guy building the Bollinger EV, made that point. The range estimator in EVs causes range anxiety and has too prominent place. The battery % is key and use your brain.

https://www.theverge.com/transportation/2017/7/27/16052118/bollinger-b1-electric-sport-truck-outdoors

That's happened me recently... km to go v range had me clenched tight...

Alas made it no problem and never thought of percentage, will do now. Thanks all

Drove to bray today, went through town. Best drive we've taken. The sights, villages and mansions we seen made it worth it. Far more interesting than m50.

We all had great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

I know it's impossible to know at the minute but do yas think the updated Ioniq will be available here for the first half of 2018 or more likely the second half of the year?

• Advertisement

No idea, no rumours so my guess is that it will be mid 2018 at the earliest, that's my guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

That's happened me recently... km to go v range had me clenched tight...

Alas made it no problem and never thought of percentage, will do now. Thanks all

A conservative rule of thumb I use in those scenarios is 1%=2km. So If I get a low battery warning at 13% then no matter how hard I was driving up to then I know that if I drive any bit sensibly I have at least 26km in the tank.

As long as you stick to 100km/h max that should be conservative enough. Handy rule of thumb. I think I'll use that in future :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

I know it's impossible to know at the minute but do yas think the updated Ioniq will be available here for the first half of 2018 or more likely the second half of the year?

The new battery is coming on the new Hyundai Kona EV for 181. When it filters down to the Ioniq is going to depend on what LG Chem's production yields are and what demand for the Kona looks like.
    If there are supply problems for the Kona I could see Hyundai holding off on bringing that battery down to the Ioniq for as much as a year.

cros13 wrote: »
    The new battery is coming on the new Hyundai Kona EV for 181. When it filters down to the Ioniq is going to depend on what LG Chem's production yields are and what demand for the Kona looks like.
    If there are supply problems for the Kona I could see Hyundai holding off on bringing that battery down to the Ioniq for as much as a year.

It's rumored to cost €35k right? At least I remember seeing that in an article a few months ago. €35k before incentives for a 50kWh crossover would be some deal. It will be interesting to see what they will do with the Ioniq when the Kona comes on the market. They will surely have to either up the pack in the Ioniq or reduce the price if the Kona EV is to go on sale for €35k.

I see the 1.0 petrol Kona is set to start at £15k/€17k in the UK with the top-spec 1.6 costing £23k/€26k.

It's rumored to cost €35k right? At least I remember seeing that in an article a few months ago. €35k before incentives for a 50kWh crossover would be some deal.

So €25k on the road? Sounds too cheap tbh, any link to the €35k before incentives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I'd bet on around 32-35 after incentives. It will have a premium above the Ioniq for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

is there any timeline for the Kona EV to be avaialble here? I'm guessing that the non EV's will be available in 018 for Q1 but anyon heard anything about the EV only model?

stesaurus wrote: »
    I'd bet on around 32-35 after incentives. It will have a premium above the Ioniq for sure

My guess too. There's a premium for the form and a premium for the battery. I certainly can't see it for under €30k on the road

• Advertisement

So €25k on the road? Sounds too cheap tbh, any link to the €35k before incentives?

Here's one article that mentions the €35k price. No mention of if it is before or after incentives actually. The info is from Auto Bild so if it the price was after incentives(€4k in Germany?) then we'd have a price of €39k before incentives. So probably about €35k OTR here at the very very least?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement