Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Presuming we still have €10k incentives (but a higher VAT than in Germany), I suppose more like €39k German + additional €2k VAT (and a tiny bit of VRT) - / - €10k incentives = €31k Irish (and I usually net off the potential discount negotiated against the delivery charge, so use this as an OTR price (plus extras)

Not bad, but QashQai / Captur ICE start at €25k

Kona EV is also well over a year away, maybe not until 2019 in these lands. Quite possible there will be more EV availability / competition / cheaper to make batteries I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

unkel wrote: »
    Kona EV is also well over a year away, maybe not until 2019 in these lands. Quite possible there will be more EV availability / competition / cheaper to make batteries I guess

I dunno man, cros13 said it'll be here for 181. He knows stuff. :cool:

Your article says the fall of 2018 and the way Hyundai have fallen far, far short of meeting demand for Ioniq EV, I guess it will be later rather than sooner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

Can 2 cars charge at same time at fast chargers?

Different connectors obviously ☺

Can 2 cars charge at same time at fast chargers?

Different connectors obviously ☺

Yes. One on DC, one on AC.

AC power depend on the car of course. 7kW for the Ioniq or 22/43kW for the Zoe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Yes. One on DC, one on AC.

AC power depend on the car of course. 7kW for the Ioniq or 22/43kW for the Zoe.

Worth mentioning that you can't charge an Ioniq and a Leaf at the same time as the CCS and Chademo are both DC connectors. Current Irish DC Chargers are single operations only.

As thelikelylad mentioned, only one DC connection at a time.
    Some FCPs are also prevented from charging AC&DC at the same time based on local grid issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

liamog wrote: »
    Worth mentioning that you can't charge an Ioniq and a Leaf at the same time as the CCS and Chademo are both DC connectors. Current Irish DC Chargers are single operations only.

As thelikelylad mentioned, only one DC connection at a time.
    Some FCPs are also prevented from charging AC&DC at the same time based on local grid issues.

I've used fast AC before when a Leaf had the DC. It's better than nothing and got me home! (Same as the SCPs and stayed with the car to make sure if someone needed fast AC I could move on)

I've used fast AC before when a Leaf had the DC. It's better than nothing and got me home! (Same as the SCPs and stayed with the car to make sure if someone needed fast AC I could move on)

It's also handy if you're in the middle of a long journey and need to get that extra 6% after hitting 94% on CCS. I've done 17-100% in under an hour IIRC which wasn't bad. The extra 6% gained on AC made sure I made my destination.

It's also handy if you're in the middle of a long journey and need to get that extra 6% after hitting 94% on CCS. I've done 17-100% in under an hour IIRC which wasn't bad. The extra 6% gained on AC made sure I made my destination.

Never thought of doing that. If there's no one else at the charger it would only take seconds to plug the AC charger in when finishing DC. If the trip is tight, might make the difference. I guess it would need (100%-94%)*28kWh = 1.7kWh, so would take about 15 minutes @6.6kW to fully top it up. Thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

So when using the Fast AC 43kW, Ioniq will only take in approx 7kW?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Fermi wrote: »
    So when using the Fast AC 43kW, Ioniq will only take in approx 7kW?

Yup, as does the i3... better than nothing, shortens your overall time at the rapid.

Of course if a Zoe driver shows up you move and let them in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Is there a part 2 of that? It came up in my youtube reccomendations recently and it annoys me that there's only one part it seems!

Interesting that he charged at portlaoise, then not again until castlebellingham. That's 2 charges where my leaf could conceivably need 4!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Noticed a scratch in the front bumper this morning when washing the car. :(

Will use the opportunity to spray the grill white to match the rest of the car when getting it fixed. Got a quote of €250 which seems reasonable -- will post pictures once it's done.

Will use the opportunity to spray the grill white to match the rest of the car when getting it fixed. Got a quote of €250 which seems reasonable -- will post pictures once it's done.

You sure about spraying? Can't be undone and might not wear well with stone chips etc. Had mine professionally wrapped in glossy black for €90. Black looks very good on a polar white car too. If mine was white, I'd have the roof wrapped and rear window tainted.

You sure about spraying? Can't be undone and might not wear well with stone chips etc. Had mine professionally wrapped in glossy black for €90. Black looks very good on a polar white car too. If mine was white, I'd have the roof wrapped and rear window tainted.

Will look into the wrapping so! Can I ask where you got yours done?

Lad called Mantis 085 788 4875, Sunbury Industrial Estate, lower Ballymount Road

When I got there first, he was just handing over an Audi TT with a full body wrap. Looked immaculate. This guy knows his wrapping. He was recommended to me by carwrapdirect.com, Ireland's largest wholesaler / supplier of wrapping materials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

Anyone have any insight as to whether Hyundai will be offering scrappage on the ioniq ev any time soon?

Anyone have any insight as to whether Hyundai will be offering scrappage on the ioniq ev any time soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Repolho wrote: »
    why? The car would be worth far far more than the scrap value. Troll?

• Advertisement

highdef wrote: »
    why? The car would be worth far far more than the scrap value. Troll?

I mean scrappage against an ioniq ev.

The Hyundai.ie website still states there is scrappage of €4,000 against the Ioniq EV. Did you ring any dealers?

The Hyundai.ie website still states there is scrappage of €4,000 against the Ioniq EV. Did you ring any dealers?

All I could see was 4k scrappage on the Tucson on the website. Would you mind giving me a link?

Ive been to 2 dealers, first said they had none and wouldn't be available until Oct/Nov. They said they didnt even gave a demo to test drive despite the fact there was 1 on charge outside???
    Second dealer had 1 in stock which according to him was the only 1 in the country. I took it for a test drive and when I came back and was discussing price with him he said scrappage was not available on the ioniq. He had no idea if it would be in the future.

The plan in my head was to replace the wife's car now with a second had leaf and in a few years time when my car is due for replacement that there would be options with bigger/better batteries which would cover my range requirements.
    However, thinking about it the ioniq would cover the vast majority of my requirements. The grant and free charger available now might not be there in a few years time so thinking that if scrappage was available this could be the best time to buy an EV.

I think I'll take your advice though and try ringing a few others. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

Repolho wrote: »
    All I could see was 4k scrappage on the Tucson on the website. Would you mind giving me a link?

Ive been to 2 dealers, first said they had none and wouldn't be available until Oct/Nov. They said they didnt even gave a demo to test drive despite the fact there was 1 on charge outside???
    Second dealer had 1 in stock which according to him was the only 1 in the country. I took it for a test drive and when I came back and was discussing price with him he said scrappage was not available on the ioniq. He had no idea if it would be in the future.

The plan in my head was to replace the wife's car now with a second had leaf and in a few years time when my car is due for replacement that there would be options with bigger/better batteries which would cover my range requirements.
    However, thinking about it the ioniq would cover the vast majority of my requirements. The grant and free charger available now might not be there in a few years time so thinking that if scrappage was available this could be the best time to buy an EV.

I think I'll take your advice though and try ringing a few others. Thanks.

Got scrappage from a main dealer in Dublin in June for the EV. Sounds like the dealers being a bit funny there.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fitz213

Scrappage is only currently available on the Tucson. I heard there was a chance it would be back later in the year but it sounded far from a certainty.

If I were a Hyundai dealer I would not give a cent off an Ioniq at this stage. Let alone give scrappage. Demand far outstrips the supply from South Korea. Not just in this country, it's the same problem everywhere. And the car in the USA is only available in CA - imagine if they offered it in all states! The waiting lists are very long. Some UK dealers have in fact stopped taking orders at this stage.

If Nissan can get good availability on the new Leaf and it is reasonably priced, I've no doubt that it will far outsell the Ioniq here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If the new Leaf is good, it and the Ioniq will sell very well. Really not bothered about who sells more. The both have plenty converting ICE drivers to choose from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

ELM327 wrote: »
    Is there a part 2 of that? It came up in my youtube reccomendations recently and it annoys me that there's only one part it seems!

Interesting that he charged at portlaoise, then not again until castlebellingham. That's 2 charges where my leaf could conceivably need 4!

Part 2 just popped up

Fair play to the man. Taking on a 220km trip and arriving with 10% left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

Have had the car just over a month now and I like it very much. So easy to drive, well kitted out, compares very favourably with previous car - a dirty diesel focus. Have put up just shy of 3000 kms. Much of the month was spent in different parts of the country, particularly the west so have spent a lot of time on motorways: have averaged 12.1 kWh since purchased. No major problem with either range or charging: went from the heart of Connemara to South East Wicklow (330kms) on one charge in Applegreen, Enfield, where I would have stopped anyway for coffee, toilet, etc - though absence of public chargers in Connemara was interesting: one slow charger in Clifden doesn't seem to me to be adequate for such a large area. If the Ioniq didn't have a decent range it could have been a problem. The lack of a fast charger in Kilkenny (on a separate trip) was also a minor irritant but no big deal. Apart from being away most charging is done at home at night. Very happy with the car.

Fair play to the man. Taking on a 220km trip and arriving with 10% left.

I watched both the parts of the video and I think it's a real testament to the difference between the Ioniq and the other current EV like the leaf. I know I have only a 24kWh but I would struggle to do 220km with a charge at the start and another in the middle!. In addition to charging faster on DC, it also has efficiency figures that Leaf owners simply can not get on the motorway. 12 kWh/100km is insane!

ELM327 wrote: »
    I watched both the parts of the video and I think it's a real testament to the difference between the Ioniq and the other current EV like the leaf. I know I have only a 24kWh but I would struggle to do 220km with a charge at the start and another in the middle!. In addition to charging faster on DC, it also has efficiency figures that Leaf owners simply can not get on the motorway. 12 kWh/100km is insane!

And 12kWh is only an average figure. Like all cars, Ioniq uses a lot more electricity when driven at speed (even though its aerodynamics are good). You don't really appreciate the efficiency of the car until you do a long drive at regional roads (like averaging 60-70km/h). With a gentle foot (but without any hypermiling) you will easily do sub 10kWh/100km or a range of about 300km

From memory, didn't your man average sub 10kWh/km on the non motorway sections of his trip?

That said the importance of efficiency was only really there while batteries were still very expensive. Now soon enough, with 40kWh batteries going into budget EVs and probably 60kWh within the next two years, it really doesn't make any difference any more.

I disagree somewhat, I think efficiency will always have a part to play.
    Even if you have a 40kWh battery, you can see the impact of relatively poor efficiency in the ZE40 where the real world range is still only 220-280 km.
    I'd imagine in a 40kWh leaf that the real world range will be less than the Zoe as the car is heavier.

In an Ioniq with a bigger battery like they said was in the pipeline, I'd expect over 300km real world range.

Weight is not the full story and one reason the I3 didn't get much more range than the 24 Kwh Leaf.

Drivetrain efficiency + aerodynamics play an important part. Weight doesn't pay a major role at cruising speed more at acceleration and hill climbing but coming down balances out.

Leaf drivetrain was optimised for around 60 or 80 Kph can't remember, obviously Nissan never thought the Leaf would never leave the city but even if that were true you don't usually travel so far in the city so why optimise it for such speeds ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Leaf drivetrain was optimised for around 60 or 80 Kph can't remember, obviously Nissan never thought the Leaf would never leave the city but even if that were true you don't usually travel so far in the city so why optimise it for such speeds ?

The general speed limit in Japan is 60 km/h, and only expressways (motorway equivalent) are 80-100 km/h.

Not surprising that speed limits are generally higher in South Korea :)

• Advertisement

The general speed limit in Japan is 60 km/h, and only expressways (motorway equivalent) are 80-100 km/h.

Not surprising that speed limits are generally higher in South Korea :)

All EVs have speed limiters, but that's probably the reason the one in Ioniq is set to just under 170km/h :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Neleven wrote: »
    The lack of a fast charger in Kilkenny (on a separate trip) was also a minor irritant but no big deal.

Barlo Nissan down?

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Barlo Nissan down?

CHAdeMO only :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Doh! Forgot CCS..🙄

Turtle mode hit today for the first time with 10km left and 4% :D

Should have charged before todays trips but didn't and ended up with 25km range and 26km to my local FCP (home would have been another 3km), with 4 kids in the car I didn't want to risk that. Went to Blanch FCP instead (19km distance with 25km range left). Arrived with just 2% left (4km)

Charged while the kids had McDonalds. When I got back to the charger there was another Ioniq parked beside me. Owned by liamog. Nice meeting you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Kids will now be watching out for you to run low. Its an ill wind...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Great to meet you to unkel, recognised the wrap on the front while we were parking up. Wife wants the black wrap on ours now :D

Followed an Ioniq Hybrid home, I'm definitely spotting Ioniq's on the road a lot more.

So am I. There have been a lot more of them since the start of the 172 reg.

Glossy black wrap on the Phantom Black Ioniq would look good!

Does a light come on the dash when you enter turtle mode? Run it down to below 10% before, but not sure I've ever entered turtle mode!

Put the guts of 1000KM over the past week, doing Dublin - Cork - Waterford - Dundalk - Dublin. Have to say, wasn't let down by the public charging infrastructure once; no broken chargers, no queuing, nothing -- and I even stopped in the infamous Naas FCP!

Also saw a load of Ioniqs on the road, 2 or 3 hybrids on the M8 alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

So am I. There have been a lot more of them since the start of the 172 reg.

Glossy black wrap on the Phantom Black Ioniq would look good!

Any photos of the wrap on your Ioniq? I'm seriously considering getting one, once I sell my own car. I love the design, but the grey front is the only let down in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

chewed wrote: »
    Any photos of the wrap on your Ioniq? I'm seriously considering getting one, once I sell my own car. I love the design, but the grey front is the only let down in my opinion.

1. Scroll back a page
    2. Can you see the photo in the threat? If no - go to 1.
    3. Here you go....

Does a light come on the dash when you enter turtle mode? Run it down to below 10% before, but not sure I've ever entered turtle mode!

Yep, a turtle shows up on the dash :D

Low battery warning light at about 13% battery left. Turtle mode when about 4% battery left. Car accelerates notably slower, but still adequate for keeping up with traffic. Didn't try if top speed is further limited, it probably is (maybe limited to 100km/h?)

Always felt the car's acceleration from 0-100km/h was quicker than the official 9.9s and it is, according to this website that collects actual tested acceleration data for cars:

0-60mph in 8.1s

Linky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Always felt the car's acceleration from 0-100km/h was quicker than the official 9.9s and it is, according to this website that collects actual tested acceleration data for cars:

0-60mph in 8.1s

Linky

Leaf 2018 should definitely be a 7 sec car then if the Ioniq can do 8 with 30bhp down

Acceleration is not always a direct function of power/torque and weight (with all other factors like grip, weather, etc. optimal). Electronics can and do override what's maximally available!

That said, it is an encouraging trend that budget family EVs are approaching the acceleration times of much more expensive ICE hot hatches (leaving any normal family ICE cars way behind or at least 90% of all cars on the road for that matter). I test this on a daily basis :D

Any of the other Ioniq owners feel that grip from the tyres is not great in the dry, but pretty abysmal in the wet? Tyre recommendations for best possible dry grip (and decent wet grip)?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement