Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yep, don't trust the tyres at all, lose traction very easily when putting the foot down out of corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

Also saw a load of Ioniqs on the road, 2 or 3 hybrids on the M8 alone.

I got my first drive in an Ioniq at Limerick Motoring Centre yesterday. The salesman told me they'd sold 32 of them, 31 of them BEVs. I was well impressed by that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

As Nyland said last year: "There's the Hybrid and there's the Plug in Hybrid. You don't want those. You want this one" pointing at the Electric :p

There's a Hyundai dealer in Germany who is already legendary. He has sold over 500 Ioniq BEV to date!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

Conba wrote: »
    I got my first drive in an Ioniq at Limerick Motoring Centre yesterday. The salesman told me they'd sold 32 of them, 31 of them BEVs. I was well impressed by that.

Ah, you have met Gerry, nice guy... is he getting you a good deal?
    Back in July they have sold 26 units, so it seems he is doing really well. They must be one of the best dealers in the country for Ioniq EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

unkel wrote: »
    Yep, a turtle shows up on the dash :D

Low battery warning light at about 13% battery left. Turtle mode when about 4% battery left. Car accelerates notably slower, but still adequate for keeping up with traffic. Didn't try if top speed is further limited, it probably is (maybe limited to 100km/h?)

Pretty sure it limits the max power to somewhere about 40%(was in sport mode and only 1km from home). I had this happen locally a few days ago and it feels so bad compared to how responsive the car normally is.

Tyres really struggle with the torque. Not sure what to get next, EV specific tyres seem to only add a few in to range and I'm not sure it's worth it given the overall efficiency of the car.

On a side not is there any way to completely turn off the regen? Seem to always be most efficient with it off. Also, does it reset the drive mode settings for anyone else after a few days?

@JJJ - yes just switch regen to level 0. This will completely turn off the regen. Unless of course you press the brake pedal. And yes the drive mode settings reset themselves to default now and then in my car (and so do the slow charge settings, beware of this!). I've seen this reported by several owners. Must be a software bug / weakness. Hope it will be fixed in one of the updates when the car goes to the garage for a service

Yep, don't trust the tyres at all, lose traction very easily when putting the foot down out of corners.

Here now, you need to manage your expectations. It's a FWD econobox from the far east. Not a RWD thoroughbred sports car from Germany or Italy :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

@JJJ - yes just switch regen to level 0. This will completely turn off the regen. Unless of course you press the brake pedal. And yes the drive mode settings reset themselves to default now and then in my car (and so do the slow charge settings, beware of this!). I've seen this reported by several owners. Must be a software bug / weakness. Hope it will be fixed in one of the updates when the car goes to the garage for a service

No over-the-air updates?! What is it - XX century? Telling me you have to use that wheel for steering too!?

Nope, no SIM in the car. The SatNav et al can use the data connection from your phone or the wifi from your house to update actual traffic data / weather etc. but the car itself has no internet connection

That troubles me not so much as everything goes via your phone these days anyway (Tesla make you use your own phone as a car key now :eek:), SatNavs in cars are pretty much obsolete now you can use the likes of Android Auto etc.

But the one thing that annoys me is that there is no way (that I have heard of) to update the car software and maps yourself. Maybe there just haven't been enough Ioniqs sold for someone to figure it out / hack it and share it on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭fred432

I'm a 3 week newbie mostly because of your posts on here. It's a very different experience, both in driving and charging. Anyone notice that the van drivers park near fast chargers so they have someone to talk to! Does the higher regen level actually save much on the battery. I find that when I take my foot off the accelerator with high regen, I am accelerating a lot sooner again than with level 1. That's on country roads. It's probably more suited to driving in traffic. Has anyone driven the same road with level 3 and level 1?!! Main point to note for anyone buying is the css combo for the fast charge. Set the filter on the app and see the blues disappear! I didn't know that but would probably still have bought anyway.

So you own an Ioniq EV? If so we must update the list and include you!

Zero regen is the most efficient, as with any regen you have efficiency losses. Energy is most efficiently used by letting the car just coast. Some of us like to use it though in city traffic, mostly as a means of not having to switch your right foot between accelerator and brake pedal. With the heaviest regen 3, some people even call it "one pedal driving" :)

Personally I like regen 2 for City and regen 1 for National Roads / Motorway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

I have an Ioniq for the weekend. I'm seriously interested in buying one, but the local dealer is saying that PCP is not available on them. The Hyundai website is indicating that it is available. Is this just a local dealer thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

I have got the same reply from one of the dealers in Dublin. I believe they don't know what the value of the car will be after 3 years so they don't want to be in the situation where you leave the car and it's not even worth the GMFV at the end of the contract and they will be at lost. They are aggressively pushing towards HP.

The problem is that he checked and they are not sure when the new cars will be available, seems like production might have been suspended (?!).

I was really impressed with the car on the test drive... I believe I'll get myself a exDemo one if the discount is appealing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Oct has been the generally accepted available date. That dealer must know some thing the rest don't know.

well, October would have been acceptable for me, he already had 10 cars in the queue with no available date... (the suspended production was my conclusion) They have an ex demo platinum silver available, 171 reg which I might consider getting.

• Advertisement

Lads, if ye want my advice wait for Leaf II or wait another year......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Ioniq production isn't suspended but the supply of batteries from LG Chem is severely restricted due to high demand. LG Chem is doubling the size of the main plant in south korea and has further expansion coming.

Europe as a whole is currently allocated less than 400 vehicles per month, the next RHD batch is in September/October.

They are hoping to boost production to 2000 units/month by December but half of that production will be for the local south korean market and the US, Europe and other Asian markets will have to split the remaining 1000 units.

LG Chem is in deep deep production trouble trying to meet demand with Zoe, I-Pace and demand from Hyundai ramping up over the next few months. New Leaf production might not be badly affected at least initially as some of AESC's supply contracts and facilities may be able to support production on the LG Chem packs.

No help from LG Chem's north american plant as they are against the wall too with Bolt/Ampera-e production being boosted by 50%

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The had planned to produce 1200 EVs a month. Supposedly they are to hit 1800 from July.

LG are OK making the batteries, it's the unforecast increases that are causing problems.

Spare capacity in battery manufacturing is very low right now, LG do have a new plant opening in Wroclaw Poland, but I'm sure it's probably allocated for the next few years.

liamog wrote: »
    Spare capacity in battery manufacturing is very low right now, LG do have a new plant opening in Wroclaw Poland, but I'm sure it's probably allocated for the next few years.

The new plant in Poland at peak production will be 4GWh. The Ochang plant is going from 3.2GWh to around 6 GWh. Holland Michigan is 2 GWh and is expanding to 3GWh. Hyundai's current order for the Ioniq BEV is small beans, around 0.2 GWh but with the pack sizes and production planned by competitors everything is oversubscribed. And production at a lot of the plants is currently skewed towards PHEV cells so lines need to be reconfigured, raw materials sourced etc. Samsung SDI in Hungary is around 2-3 GWh.

Meanwhile Tesla is planning for Gigafactory 1 to reach 50GWh/annum equivalent by the end of next year. The 500,000 Model 3s will take 30-35GWh of that and the remainder will be soaked up by storage. Musk has said they are capable of hitting 150GWh per gigafactory and expect Sparks, NV to hit that around 2022.

Taking a look at the whole market, EU + EFTA passenger vehicle sales were 15,131,719. So assuming ~60kWh average per vehicle excluding commercial vehicles, grid storage and other uses we'd need to have 900-1000GWh of production capacity for 100% of passenger car production. So 7-10 gigafactories for passenger cars, ~6 for commercial vehicles and 10-20 for grid storage & industrial applications.

So LG Chem's production increases are chicken feed compared to what full scale production vehicles demand would look like. It takes 2-3 years to get a plant up and running from initial planning to cells out the door. They need to get serious fast....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bif

cros13 wrote: »
    The new plant in Poland at peak production will be 4GWh. The Ochang plant is going from 3.2GWh to around 6 GWh. Holland Michigan is 2 GWh and is expanding to 3GWh. Hyundai's current order for the Ioniq BEV is small beans, around 0.2 GWh but with the pack sizes and production planned by competitors everything is oversubscribed. And production at a lot of the plants is currently skewed towards PHEV cells so lines need to be reconfigured, raw materials sourced etc. Samsung SDI in Hungary is around 2-3 GWh.

Meanwhile Tesla is planning for Gigafactory 1 to reach 50GWh/annum equivalent by the end of next year. The 500,000 Model 3s will take 30-35GWh of that and the remainder will be soaked up by storage. Musk has said they are capable of hitting 150GWh per gigafactory and expect Sparks, NV to hit that around 2022.

Taking a look at the whole market, EU + EFTA passenger vehicle sales were 15,131,719. So assuming ~60kWh average per vehicle excluding commercial vehicles, grid storage and other uses we'd need to have 900-1000GWh of production capacity for 100% of passenger car production. So 7-10 gigafactories for passenger cars, ~6 for commercial vehicles and 10-20 for grid storage & industrial applications.

So LG Chem's production increases are chicken feed compared to what full scale production vehicles demand would look like. It takes 2-3 years to get a plant up and running from initial planning to cells out the door. They need to get serious fast....
    How can a guy invest in this market?

• Advertisement

Bif wrote: »
    How can a guy invest in this market?

It's looking a bit fuzzy at this point who is going to benefit.

Everyone bar Tesla is sleepwalking forwards. Even companies which look like they are going to benefit are adding a tiny bit of production here and there, not enough activity in mineral exploration or new production. And any production constraints that cause prices to rise are going to have an outsized negative impact on demand. On the other hand, after the initial bump in market awareness from 300-500km mid-range EVs hitting the road, EV powertrains might temporarily have to be restricted to higher margin products... because otherwise like Hyundai with the Ioniq everyone is just going to be annoying potential customers with great cars that they can't actually buy due to low production volumes. Then it's a vicious cycle of low production volumes increasing other costs and cutting into margins further.

Glencore, BHP Billiton and Lundin are good bets for nickel and cobalt production. Lithium is overhyped. Graphite is being overlooked by everyone, Maybe look at Syrah Resources, Battery Minerals or any of the american or chinese companies exposed to spherical graphite. 12 months ago I'd have said buy into Cobalt but people are waking up to that now, Graphite is the best bet.

Tesla themselves have a terrible habit of leaving themselves on a financial knife edge and their share price is already sky high. I'm holding, primarily because I bought in prior to IPO on a private equity market so I might as well ride it out.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Planning a new production model is a 2 to 3 year activity. Any supply constraint right now is due to under forecasting.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the current production increase on the Ioniq is at the expense of the rumoured longer range model.

Let's say Hyundai committed to 36,000 kWh of batteries per month for the Ioniq (1200 cars).
    The rumoured 200 mile version would need around 50% more battery capacity. They've ramped up production 50% which would need 54,000 kWh (1800 x 30).
    They'd have needed the same capacity to do 1200 cars with 45kWh batteries.

I'd say anyone holding out for an extended range Ioniq is going to be disappointed until 2019.
    Hopefully the forecasts are much more optimistic for the Kona and we'll see larger orders for the Ioniq. If there is a 2/3 year lead time, then we'd be expecting late 2018 for any major increase in production.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Lads, if ye want my advice wait for Leaf II or wait another year......

That's exactly my thinking. I'll take a good look at the new Leaf and either go for it, or give it another year to see what happens. Unless I'm offered a spectacular deal on the current Ioniq... which is highly doubtful. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Ok, got question today about the Ioniq and no idea what answer is. I average about 140-150km without doing conservative driving.

Just wondering what people are seeing in the Ioniq?

I average about 200km. But I drive it hard (sport mode only, hard acceleration and at least at the speed limits on motorways). Most owners in here get more than that.

I average about 200km. But I drive it hard (sport mode only, hard acceleration and at least at the speed limits on motorways). Most owners in here get more than that.

I also drive hard, always in sports mode and probably get between 180 - 200, perhaps slightly less again on the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

There's an iOniq owner on one the EV Facebook pages - he does above 250km per charge mixed driving, but he's obviously minding the speed big time. I think he reported 10.3kWh per 100km average consumption.

peposhi wrote: »
    There's an iOniq owner on one the EV Facebook pages - he does above 250km per charge mixed driving, but he's obviously minding the speed big time. I think he reported 10.3kWh per 100km average consumption.

That's 272km average. An eco driver!

When driven gently at speeds no higher than 70km/h, Ioniq can do 350-370km in warm weather (there are clips on youtube from Korea and Germany posted earlier in this thread)

I have averaged a few trips under 10kWh (so range 280km) myself, but they were always longer non-city trips with slow average speeds, so typically regional roads where driving the car hard or fast was simply not even possible

My most typical consumption per trip is about 12kWh (range 235km) but my average is dragged down by a lot of local short trips with very hard acceleration and motorway trips where I tend not to drive on the slow side :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

That's 272km average. An eco driver!

When driven gently at speeds no higher than 70km/h, Ioniq can do 350-370km in warm weather (there are clips on youtube from Korea and Germany posted earlier in this thread)

I have averaged a few trips under 10kWh (so range 280km) myself, but they were always longer non-city trips with slow average speeds, so typically regional roads where driving the car hard or fast was simply not even possible

My most typical consumption per trip is about 12kWh (range 235km) but my average is dragged down by a lot of local short trips with very hard acceleration and motorway trips where I tend not to drive on the slow side :D

You must have brought your heavy right leg boot with you when you moved from a Porsche to an EV
    :)

I moved from a 3l Jaguar S-type to an EV. And my foot was very light in the Jag for economic reasons. Still did only 20mpg at best. Every week €50-€60 in petrol and every quarter €400 in motor tax. That has changed to every week €0.50 in electricity and every quarter €30 in motor tax. Yeah!

Still have the Porsche :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I average 240-250km.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

We get about 230 during normal driving, when we do a long motorway we go down to about 180.

Mrs liamog likes to drive at 127 on the cruise control, so 123 actual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Thanks guys, I average about 15kWh per 100km on the Golf so if the Ioniq is average 12kWh that is good. The Ioniq would be more streamlined compared to the Golf so I would have expected better....

I think about 200km is a good number, any upside on that would be based on driving habits. I think if I had Ioniq I would be in the 200km range :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

I did 9.4kWh/100km over a 70km spin last month which was the best I've ever seen. That's an implied range of 298km but it's rare enough that I can be bothered to try drive that efficiently.

The most I've ever done between charges is 220km. The most I've done on a motorway spin between charges is about 170km(150km actual motorway) with 20km left. I normally do about 180km which lasts me a few days and then plug-in overnight when I get to around the 20-30% charge mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Coconut Joe

Doing my first long trip this weekend, Dublin to Cork. Whats the recommended recharge point, Cashel seems like the best bet but open to suggestions from those who've made the trip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Doing my first long trip this weekend, Dublin to Cork. Whats the recommended recharge point, Cashel seems like the best bet but open to suggestions from those who've made the trip?

Charger at Ballacolla, County Laois is very conveniently located. From there you'd make it easily. And just in the middle of the journey.

If offline, you can slowly proceed to Cashel...

For longer trips I would suggest stopping earlier to allow for potential infrastructure problems en-route. I would head for Ballacolla J3/M8 - Nice service station, Tesla Superchargers and it's generally quiet enough. If there are any problems there then you have two backup FCPs with Urlingford or Cashel in reach.

If you head straight for Cashel and arrive to a broken FCP you could be in a spot of bother with the next FCP 60km away in Fermoy.

I'll say Ballacolla as well. Or if you are in a hurry, Midway. Ioniq charges there at 68kW :cool:

Also if you're heading to Ballacolla you can slip off at Portlaoise and take the N77+R433 to Manor Stone. It's ~3km shorter, costs €1.90 less and you'll save some %.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

I was just talking to someone who was told, by the Hyundai dealer in Kilkenny, not to buy an Ioniq.

Why were they told this? Because the Ioniq is dangerous, pedestrians can't hear it coming :(

Done this last week; stopped in both Ballacolla and Fermoy. Made it to Ballacolla from North county Dublin with a few KM to spare, and then stopped in Fermoy to avoid arriving in Cork on fumes -- beside a big SuperValu in case you need to get some shopping done... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

Anyone else find insurance coming in more expensive than previous car?

Nope, coming from a worthless banger, the full comp insurance on the Ioniq was cheaper, we got a €130 refund for the remainder of the year or something like that :)

bertie4evr wrote: »
    I was just talking to someone who was told, by the Hyundai dealer in Kilkenny, not to buy an Ioniq.

Why were they told this?

Much bigger margin for the dealer on the diesel cars. And availability of the Ioniq EV is very poor at the moment. If you order a new one today, you might not get it until next year. Some UK Hyundai dealers have stopped taking orders altogether for the Ioniq EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

Nope, coming from a worthless banger, the full comp insurance on the Ioniq was cheaper, we got a €130 refund for the remainder of the year or something like that :)
    Coming from similar but quotes are coming in few hundred more unfortunately

• Advertisement

Anyone else find insurance coming in more expensive than previous car?

I called my insurance today to get a jist of what the insurance would be, they said for the next 5 months what's left switching from a 2008 Peugeot 308 1.6HDI to the Ioniq would cost me €100 more. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok, got question today about the Ioniq and no idea what answer is. I average about 140-150km without doing conservative driving.

Just wondering what people are seeing in the Ioniq?

Around 220-230, based on what the dial shows after full charge. Don't drive very aggressively (100-120 on motorways) and a fair bit of use on rural roads.

It's a real shame you can't track your efficiency like you can on carwings.

My average for 2016 was 18.9 Kwh/100 Kms over about 28,000 Kms driving mostly motorway at 120-130 and sometimes higher. Trip consumption of course can be anywhere from 13-23 Kwh/100 Kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

bertie4evr wrote: »

Why were they told this? Because the Ioniq is dangerous, pedestrians can't hear it coming :(

Have a neighbour who is very interested in purchasing and went to closest dealership: found them totally uninterested in pushing a sale. Supply issues seem to be feeding into dealer apathy - though I found the same dealership poor when I was buying to, not returning calls etc, to the extent that I went to another dealership much further away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭fred432

We changed from an 07 picasso and there was no change on the insurance.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement