Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

German owner with a light foot and time on his hands managed to do over 400km on one charge in Ioniq. Twice!

9117441140266.jpg

Linky

I don't get this ? why bother ? why not just drive the car on, this efficiency game really bugs me lol, Zoe owners were doing this on the Renault forums, these were mainly city folk driving to work and back as much as they could on one charge as if it mattered considering they drove small distances.....

I don't get this ? why bother ?

I suppose it's not quite as exciting trying to hypermile the life out of a 24kWh Leaf to just about manage a 165km range :p

unkel wrote: »
    I suppose it's not quite as exciting trying to hypermile the life out of a 24kWh Leaf to just about manage a 165km range :p

I'd imagine the 30 Kwh could be hypermiled a lot further.

If a 30kWh Leaf was as efficient as 28kWh Ioniq, it would do 430km

I challenge you to find anyone who has done even two thirds of that. Not a hope ;)

I doubt anyone who drives a Leaf could care less really.

Indeed. It would be pointless in a Leaf ;)

A bit like me trying my best on the 100m sprint and not getting a better time than about 13s. While some girls get better than 11s and the world record is not much more than 9.5s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I doubt anyone who drives a Leaf could care less really.

That's so Apple fanboy mentality.

If any fact does not support the thesis of supremacy, it is played down the same way: nobody cares...

And that not true... While maximum efficiency might not be that important, it forms foundation for average efficiency, which everyone cares about...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

grogi wrote: »

If any fact does not support the thesis of supremacy, it is played down the same way: nobody cares...

And that not true... While maximum efficiency might not be that important, it forms foundation for average efficiency, which everyone cares about...

As a leaf owner, I don't think there's any disputing that the Ioniq is a better EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Coconut Joe

Thanks for the suggestions folks (RE Dublin - Cork trip) - out of curiosity, nobody recommended Urlingford - any particular reason?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions folks (RE Dublin - Cork trip) - out of curiosity, nobody recommended Urlingford - any particular reason?
    Positioning of the charger.
    Out of sync.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

There's a bit more at Ballacolla to keep you occupied while you wait, and Urlingford makes a nice contingency stop in case Ballacolla's out of order!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

AFAIK it's just some small service station on the main street. I prefer to stop at motorway service stations if I can just for better facilities/food options. If you are planning on stopping there though just be aware that it shuts at 10pm or something. I know another Ioniq driver who nearly got caught out their at 2am a few months ago. He managed to lift the barrier up and get the car in to the charger.

Hopefully in future ecars will rip out that FCP and relocate it to Ballacolla for a dual FCP setup. One can dream.

You should be fine with Dublin -> Ballacolla -> Cork though. Just keep an eye on your range/% approaching Cashel or Fermoy in case you need a small top up to be safe. I've done Ballacolla to Cork at ~110km/h at temperatures of about 2-4c so there should be no issues this time of year. Alternatively you could do 15 mins in Ballacolla and 15 in Cashel if you wanted.

grogi wrote: »

Now not, don't knock Apple fans, I have a Macbook Pro and Iphone and love them and hate with a passion using windows in Work..... that hardly makes me feel superior, I couldn't care less what someone else uses.

Having said that I love Linux Mint too it's a great OS. I also use Android for things I can't do on IOS , so Android has come on a lot but the greatest thing that lets it down is crap apps with lots of bugs. Android does the job fine and it suits a lot of people and that's fine by me.

Now getting back to efficiency, what I was saying is that most Leaf owners are not concerned about driving in a manner that some ioniq drivers do, I think most Leaf owners have had their car so long now that they've long gotten over the whole thing of seeing how much Kms per Kwh you can squeeze out, lets say the novelty has long worn off.

Do I think the Ioniq is a good car ? yes of course I do , it really is and has the advantage, for now at least, of being the newer EV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Now not, don't knock Apple fans, I have a Macbook Pro and Iphone and love them and hate with a passion using windows in Work..... that hardly makes me feel superior, I couldn't care less what someone else uses.

Having said that I love Linux Mint too it's a great OS. I also use Android for things I can't do on IOS , so Android has come on a lot but the greatest thing that lets it down is crap apps with lots of bugs. Android does the job fine and it suits a lot of people and that's fine by me.

Now getting back to efficiency, what I was saying is that most Leaf owners are not concerned about driving in a manner that some ioniq drivers do, I think most Leaf owners have had their car so long now that they've long gotten over the whole thing of seeing how much Kms per Kwh you can squeeze out, lets say the novelty has long worn off.

Do I think the Ioniq is a good car ? yes of course I do , it really is and has the advantage, for now at least, of being the newer EV.

Sorry i had to lol, it all makes sense now. Complete Sense.

listermint wrote: »
    Sorry i had to lol, it all makes sense now. Complete Sense.

Explain that to me ! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Uhh lads... back on topic please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭this.lad

jeremy_g wrote: »
    I called my insurance today to get a jist of what the insurance would be, they said for the next 5 months what's left switching from a 2008 Peugeot 308 1.6HDI to the Ioniq would cost me €100 more. :(

Had a 2l diesel avensis, insurance renewal was at end of July. No cost to change vehicle and new policy 150 cheaper than renewal. I changed companies though.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

Pm me the company pls this.lad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Just met my first Ioniq in the flesh, apart from the showroom.

All the way from Tipperary, charging in Derry.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Just met my first Ioniq in the flesh, apart from the showroom.

All the way from Tipperary, charging in Derry.

Believable, have you seen the video of the chap doing malin-mizen in an Ioniq?
    Only 2 fast charges from cork to belfast :eek:
    I firmly believe that the Ioniq is the first EV genuinely capable of long distance travel without so much impact and delay like a leaf has.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Believable, have you seen the video of the chap doing malin-mizen in an Ioniq?
    Only 2 fast charges from cork to belfast :eek:
    I firmly believe that the Ioniq is the first EV genuinely capable of long distance travel without so much impact and delay like a leaf has.

Not to drag up old wounds from yesterday, but what speed was involved when doing Cork to Belfast, or Malin to Mizen? I don't care if it's a Leaf or an Ioniq, I won't do 60mph on the motorway just to extend my range. It's like videos you see claiming that the Zoe can do 400km then you realise they did 35mph on a flat road in the summer etc.

Might check those videos when I get time.

Personally I don't think the Ioniq is enough for me, particularly with the shltty CCS cover in the North West. Plus I'm a year away from changing so hopefully they will have brought out a bigger battery by then that will blow the disappointing Leaf 2 away.

*yes "blow the Leaf away" was an intended pun

Not to drag up old wounds from yesterday, but what speed was involved when doing Cork to Belfast, or Malin to Mizen? I don't care if it's a Leaf or an Ioniq, I won't do 60mph on the motorway just to extend my range. It's like videos you see claiming that the Zoe can do 400km then you realise they did 35mph on a flat road in the summer etc.

Might check those videos when I get time.

Personally I don't think the Ioniq is enough for me. Plus I'm a year away from changing so hopefully they will have brought out a bigger battery by then that will blow the disappointing Leaf 2 away.

*yes "blow the Leaf away" was an intended pun

AFAIR it was at normal 110/120 km/h speeds.
    I don't think the Zoe would be as quick due to the slower "fast" charging speed of the ZE40, which can be as much as 50% the speed that the Ioniq can charge on the DC.

ps... can we stop with the punishment...I can't beleaf it.. etc :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If I had the spare cash it would be an Ioniq 100%, but for my first foray into EV it will have to be a Leaf.

NIMAN wrote: »
    If I had the spare cash it would be an Ioniq 100%, but for my first foray into EV it will have to be a Leaf.

Yes I agree, the outlay is a lot for an Ioniq.
    But, I find that I am constantly trying to make the sums work. I occasionally (read 1 or 2 a month) do a >400 km trip. It can take 4-7 fast charges in my leaf depending on the route and the FCP locations and the total distance (longest recently was ~700km). in an Ioniq it would be possible to do most trips in one or two fast charges. To contrast, my record is 9 FCP in one day in my leaf. But for the rest of the month it's charged solely on AC at work and at home.

I love my leaf, and I would reccomend one for anyone that is considering an EV because the support network is there (I'd guess >90% of EV owners in Ireland are leaf owners) but there are better EV out there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have no doubt I'd like an Ioniq or i3 more than the Leaf I'm buying, but I can't justify the outlay.

Personally I don't think the Ioniq is enough for me, particularly with the shltty CCS cover in the North West.

Indeed. And Laghey was not responding last week in the ESB app. Scary stuff. I wouldn't buy any EV if I had to travel to the north west on a regular basis either. Unless you can get there and have destination charging. Which is pretty hard to do if you have a CCS charging EV.

Personally I don't think the Ioniq is enough for me, particularly with the shltty CCS cover in the North West.

What kind of mileage do you do Phil?

I'm down in west Cork quite often for a few days at a time and rely completely on the granny cable. The nearest 2 CCS points are Macroom and Bandon, both about 80km away. After that the next 2 are a distance of 100km and 150km away. Any points after that are 200km+. I've never had any issues with the lack of CCS.

With 200km+ range you won't need to use a FCP as much as you might do now in a 24kWh Leaf. The lack of CCS points really isn't as big of a deal as people think when you have longer range at your disposal. Most of the people that seem to make a big deal out of the lack of CCS points are Leaf drivers - At least that's what I've noticed.

Of course if someone is going to be doing 200km+ a day in rural Ireland, relying on 1 CCS point then I wouldn't recommend any EV to them right now but for me driving around rural Ireland with a lack of CCS hasn't been an issue.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I watched both videos fully and he didn't seem to be nursing it at all. Not on the Cork to Belfast motorway section anyway. I most double check, but I think he average 110km/h on that section.

Coming back was more country lane and he was clearly held up by normal traffic.

Of course I know some people think nothing of doing 140km/h Cork to Dublin, so no he didn't have a heavy foot like that, but he didn't seem to be trying to squeeze out extra range either. Just cruising at a "normal" speed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Cork to Portlaoise: average speed 95km/h (not all motorway)
    Portlaoise to Castlebellignham: average speed 105km/h

• Advertisement

You need to try and drive at 120km/h or more on all 120km/h speed limit sections to do that average.

bk wrote: »
    Portlaoise to Castlebellignham: average speed 105km/h
    So ~40km(N7/M50) of that at ~100km/h. Which would imply the motorway legs are closer to 120km/h average.

You need to try and drive at 120km/h or more on all 120km/h speed limit sections to do that average.
    So ~40km(N7/M50) of that at ~100km/h. Which would imply the motorway legs are closer to 120km/h average.

Yes, I got the impression that he just stuck cruise control at 120km/h on the motorway sections. So neither a speed demon nor a hypermiler, just a normal driver IMO.

I thought it was overall a very good and insightful test of the car for most people, I was quiet impressed.

What really impressed me that during one of the quick charges, he returned to the car after 27 minutes and it was full, but he moved it as they weren't finished their lunch yet :D

Truth is driving Cork to Belfast, most people would want to stop at least once for a good long lunch, even in an ICE car and maybe a second time for a quick break. Limitation being the human body then anything else.

I've found in my leaf that my limit (eg when I want to stop even if the car doesnt) is about 90 minutes to 120 minutes. Need to stretch the legs and use the facilities at that length of time anyway. So the Ioniq would suit !

Also if you're heading to Ballacolla you can slip off at Portlaoise and take the N77+R433 to Manor Stone. It's ~3km shorter, costs €1.90 less and you'll save some %.

Thanks for the tip, might give that a try

Linky on Google Maps with both routes

According to Google, the motorway takes 22min, but if you drive at 120km/h that's less than 20min. The slower route is supposed to take 26min, but that seems optimistic. Still, preserve some range and save €1.90 for a delay of maybe 7 minutes sure is an option :)

Just looked on google street view and there isn't a hope you can legally / safely do that section in 26min (averaging 82km/h) :D

According to Google, the motorway takes 22min, but if you drive at 120km/h that's less than 20min. The slower route is supposed to take 26min, but that seems optimistic. Still, preserve some range and save €1.90 for a delay of maybe 7 minutes sure is an option :)

I think your start point was wrong. Here is the route.

16mins (M8) vs 20mins (N77,R433) in current traffic. 3km and €1.90 less (Pretty much covers the cost of the electricity :D).
    Just looked on google street view and there isn't a hope you can legally / safely do that section in 26min (averaging 82km/h) :D

I normally took that route even when I had the ICE too. The deviation from the motorway wakes you up a bit too I find. You can do it faster than 20 mins safely, not sure about legally. :p I normally stick to 100km/h on the N77 out of Portlaoise, there's usually a van before Abbeyleix ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I think your start point was wrong. Here is the route.

16mins (M8) vs 20mins (N77,R433) in current traffic. 3km and €1.90 less (Pretty much covers the cost of the electricity :D).

I normally took that route even when I had the ICE too. The deviation from the motorway wakes you up a bit too I find. You can do it faster than 20 mins safely, not sure about legally. :p I normally stick to 100km/h on the N77 out of Portlaoise, there's usually a van before Abbeyleix ;)

And that short detour nicely breaks the boringness of motorway driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

legally / safely do that section in 26min (averaging 82km/h) :D

Oh I've done it safely in less than that....okay maybe not safely.... legally is another matter :)

What kind of mileage do you do Phil?

I'm down in west Cork quite often for a few days at a time and rely completely on the granny cable. The nearest 2 CCS points are Macroom and Bandon, both about 80km away. After that the next 2 are a distance of 100km and 150km away. Any points after that are 200km+. I've never had any issues with the lack of CCS.

My annual mileage is about 15k miles.

I do on occasion find myself needing to top up at the FCP in Letterkenny and it doesn't have CCS. Other than that Derry and the Glenshane are fine.

CCS might put me off now, but the fact is that I'm a year to 18 months away from changing so I'm hoping to have both the Ioniq and Leaf upgrades available to choose from. If the upcoming Leaf can do 160 miles comfortably then the next upgrade of the Ioniq should so 200 easily which would make the CCS shortage largely irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Does the ioniq auto stop charging at a pre set %?

I just pulled up to the FCP in clonshaugh. One of the few occasions I need a charge during work site visits as I couldn't charge yesterday.

But an ioniq was plugged at 83% and 21 mins.
    At 30 or 31 mins it was at 94% and the FCP stopped charging. It allowed me to disconnect the cable and charge mine.

Bad thing is that ioniq is still parked here blocking a spot and not charging. Owner nowhere to be seen.

Bad manners. And yes, Ioniq stops charging on FCP at 94%. The charger automatically disconnects, so someone else can use either CCS or CHAdeMo (provided the cable reaches of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

I have got my Ioniq and I am really happy with it. As the rules to apply for the public charge card is to have a copy of the reg cert and that will take more or less 10 days. How did you guys dealt with this? Home charger is not an option for me as I live in an apartment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

jeremy_g wrote: »
    I have got my Ioniq and I am really happy with it. As the rules to apply for the public charge card is to have a copy of the reg cert and that will take more or less 10 days. How did you guys dealt with this? Home charger is not an option for me as I live in an apartment.

Hi Jeremy. Until such time as ecars issue you a card, when you get to a chargepoint, whip out the phone and give them a call. They'll ask for the charger ID - and switch the charger on for you. Their number is 01 258 3799. Line is manned 24/7. That should tide you over until you get your card.

ps. congratulations on your purchase - a fine car. If I had a penchant to buy from new (I tend to buy used), that would be the car I'd buy (right now at least).

Well wear :)

Most FCP chargers work with any RFID card, so your bank card, a leap card, your phone, etc. might all work

And all FCP chargers have a phone number on them. Ring the number (24/7) and the call centre can start a charge remotely for you

And you can use the granny charger (3 pin plug) with any socket anywhere you can reach (but this will be extremely slow)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

Hi Jeremy. Until such time as ecars issue you a card, when you get to a chargepoint, whip out the phone and give them a call. They'll ask for the charger ID - and switch the charger on for you. Their number is 01 258 3799. Line is manned 24/7. That should tide you over until you get your card.
    Well wear :)

Most FCP chargers work with any RFID card, so your bank card, a leap card, your phone, etc. might all work

And all FCP chargers have a phone number on them. Ring the number (24/7) and the call centre can start a charge remotely for you

And you can use the granny charger (3 pin plug) with any socket anywhere you can reach (but this will be extremely slow)

Thank you very much for the answers. I have free type2 charger in work for now, good to know for out and about trips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

OK, I had the Ioniq for a 3 day test drive. I put up 800kms :D.

Loved it, and will probably order one for 2018.

I was on the M50 for that deluge on Monday night and the wipers were going like a happy dog's tail. The headlights were on and the range was falling away quickly. We were well within range of Coynes Cross, so we put the heater on as well. Let's call it a Winter simulation. :D The wipers on full seem to use more battery than the heater.

I found it hard to get a really comfortable driving position, but I think that could have been sorted with the tilt and reach of the steering wheel, given a bit of fiddling time. The car was 171, but the sat nav maps were woefully out of date. The new section of the M11 wasn't even on it.

I can confirm that any RFID card will open the charger.

I really loved the adaptive cruise control, but one time it locked on to a bicycle, with panic regen/braking as a result. I enjoyed the lane assist more than I thought I would. I tried all types of driving from easy eco to hard driving sport. Needless to say, the sport provided more smiles, but in traffic it's a bit of a pain, so I switched to normal with full regen for almost one foot operation.

Overall, I really enjoyed the car and found it hard getting back into my oil burner. I will look hard at the new Leaf, but it will need to be some machine to drag me away from the Ioniq.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Falcon L wrote: »
    I really loved the adaptive cruise control, but one time it locked on to a bicycle, with panic regen/braking as a result.

:eek:

Jeez! Could see that causing a rear end collision if they don't make that more accurate.

Falcon L wrote: »
    OK,The wipers on full seem to use more battery than the heater.

Not possible as wipers use maybe 100 W at full blast. With a 27 kWh battery you could run the wipers at full speed for more than a week and a half. It was either flooded road or headwind that affected your range.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

samih wrote: »
    Not possible as wipers use maybe 100 W at full blast. With a 27 kWh battery you could run the wipers at full speed for more than a week and a half. It was either flooded road or headwind that affected your range.
    Yeah, the road was a bit like a river alright.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement