Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

Lads, you do know that you don't use adaptive cruise when following a motorcyclist , right ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Lads, you do know that you don't use adaptive cruise when following a motorcyclist , right ?

It was a bicycle not a motorbike! :)

KCross wrote: »
    It was a bicycle not a motorbike! :)

Yes I know but it dawned on me that probably most people don't realise that adaptive cruise can't be used tailing a motorcyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fitz213

Two quick questions.

Hyundai.ie says Ioniq is €28.5k at the moment. Is that price you'll pay if ordering for the incoming stock this autumn?

When will the bigger battery Ioniq hit Ireland? Second half of 2018?

Will definitely be buying in the next year or so.

Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The bigger battery is only rumored at this point, nothing has been formally announced.

28.5 is the cost, but you'll need to pay delivery charges etc, ours were an extra 1.5k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭zale

Hi All,
    I also am the proud owner of a black ioniq. Bought it last January and still get stopped and asked 20 questions.
    Since I got it the range after each charge has gone from 180km up to 226km.
    Comfortable, nippy when needed, damn attractive, very reasonably priced & cheap to run, what's not to like.
    Only issue I had with mine was a spring on the back brakes made a rubbing noise when turning corners. Brought it back to the dealer got new springs put in...sorted.

My biggest ev gripe isn't about the vehicles but the lack of fast charge points, especially between Enfield, Meath and Laghy, Donegal a distance of 207km.

Anyone know if they plan to stick a fast charge in Mullingar, Longford, Carrick or Sligo anytime soon.

But back to the ioniq.....I Love It :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Have there been any rumblings at all from Hyundai regarding range, since the initial launch when they suggested that a 200 mile version may be on the cards in 2018?

You would imagine that the best time to tease their next model and range increase would be in the next few weeks, to knock the wind out of the (probably) already disappointing Nissan announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Have there been any rumblings at all from Hyundai regarding range, since the initial launch when they suggested that a 200 mile version may be on the cards in 2018?

You would imagine that the best time to tease their next model and range increase would be in the next few weeks, to knock the wind out of the (probably) already disappointing Nissan announcement.
    I'd imagine given the supply issues with current model they won't be making too many promises just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ballylad

Hi quick query, after charging car at fcp, charger won't release from car, tried the usual lock/unlock and no joy!,

Ballylad wrote: »
    Hi quick query, after charging car at fcp, charger won't release from car, tried the usual lock/unlock and no joy!,

Isn't there a manual release in the boot or is that just for the charge cover ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

1. lock / unlock (try a few more times)
    2. select charge on schedule (making sure schedule times are not now)
    3. charge to 94% at FCP and charger will automatically unlock
    4. stop charge with your esb card
    5. emergency charger release cable

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

I assume its stopped charging?

First, lock the car and open it with the drivers side door handle button.

If that doesn't work there is a mechanical release cable in the boot near where spare tyre would be. You'll need to pull it (Could require some force) and that should manually release the cable.

1. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171 WH
    2. liamog - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    3. unkel - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    4. Mope - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    5. thelikelylad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171C
    6. woppers - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WX
    7. don't be at yourself - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171D
    8. Ballylad - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171CW
    9. Coconut Joe - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172D
    10.Macker-Ioniq BEV - Metallic Blue.
    11. Fermi - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172MO
    12. Johnnyjohnjohns - Ioniq BEV - Aurora Silver - 172D
    13. this.lad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172
    14. CarefulNow! - Ioniq BEV - Polar White 172D
    15. Moreilly - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 172KE
    16. Neleven - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 172 WW
    17. DglFlyer -Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 171 CE
    18. zale - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 171??

What date did you get the car, zale, and what county in your reg??

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ballylad

If that doesn't work there is a mechanical release cable in the boot near where spare tyre would be. You'll need to pull it (Could require some force) and that should manually release the cable.
    Hi thanks for replies, tried everything mentioned, had to pull cable in boot, the missus was driving it, so luckily I was 30mins away, took quite a pull of cable to release, hope they get that glitch ironed out, 6000 happy Kms otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭this.lad

Hi thanks for replies, tried everything mentioned, had to pull cable in boot, the missus was driving it, so luckily I was 30mins away, took quite a pull of cable to release, hope they get that glitch ironed out, 6000 happy Kms otherwise

With fast charging I have found that it always unlocks once finished automatically. Only done it 4or 5 tomes though.

Was in Naas Sunday , fast charged beside another white Ioniq that was on the AC, LK reg, the two of them side by side definitely turned heads. Young lad was fierce worried the other lad would take our car by accident until he copped the number plates. Innocence!

Was in Athlone today saw another charging in the town, starting to see more and more, its funny when you're tuned to the ev channel what you pick up.

Unfortunately, after all the convincing I did with herself re getting the car, I only manage to get into it ob the weekend now. My commute is 25k return and the school runs etc are 100km day min so makes more sense. Still, it breaks my heart a little bit. 😓

Jan WH

@this.lad
    if you seen a black ioniq in Athlone today it was me, if you seen a white one it was a mate I convinced to buy one ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Make sure to stop the charge before pulling any manual releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

unkel wrote: »

I've got mine on 16th August, Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171WW

1. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171 WH
    2. liamog - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    3. zale - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 171WH
    4. unkel - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    5. Mope - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    6. thelikelylad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171C
    7. woppers - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WX
    8. don't be at yourself - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171D
    9. Ballylad - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171CW
    10. Coconut Joe - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172D
    11. Macker-Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 172??
    12. Fermi - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172MO
    13. Johnnyjohnjohns - Ioniq BEV - Aurora Silver - 172D
    14. this.lad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172
    15. CarefulNow! - Ioniq BEV - Polar White 172D
    16. Moreilly - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 172KE
    17. Neleven - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 172 WW
    18. DglFlyer -Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 171 CE
    19. jeremy_g - Platinum Silver - 171WW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

Was parked beside a white ioniq in Athlone which was charging last weekend. It was my first time to see one up close. It was getting a few looks from passers by using the ticket machine beside it. One guy was a bit too touchy with it imo. I was surprised by it's size in real life and had hoped it was a bit bigger as a potential next car when I decide to trade in my diesal.

• Advertisement

It's sleek looking from the outside, but surprisingly big on the inside, pawrick. I (1.87m or just under 6'2 in old money) can comfortably sit behind myself with plenty of legroom and reasonable head room. It's a D-segment car, so similar size to a Avensis, Mondeo, BMW 3-series, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

It's sleek looking from the outside, but surprisingly big on the inside, pawrick. I (1.87m or just under 6'2 in old money) can comfortably sit behind myself with plenty of legroom and reasonable head room. It's a D-segment car, so similar size to a Avensis, Mondeo, BMW 3-series, etc.

ROTFL.

It is not D segment... It is a regular C-Segment car. Its dimensions are exactly of Prius and Leaf... Ioniq might be spacious inside, but don't bring Mondeo to this conversation.

r8Wvj0t.png&hash=7e9e72da3613421f6e14696c7085b2e6

Outside dimensions are irrelevant. I've never sat in any C-segment car behind myself with enough legroom. I'm pretty sure I actually compared interior dimensions in and around the seats to a BMW 3-series and they were near identical. Now obviously the boot space is smaller than regular ICE cars in this segment. And there is no frunk.

Outside dimensions are irrelevant. I've never sat in any C-segment car behind myself with enough legroom. I'm pretty sure I actually compared interior dimensions in and around the seats to a BMW 3-series and they were near identical. Now obviously the boot space is smaller than regular ICE cars in this segment. And there is no frunk.

And that's exactly it - spacious compact car.

3-er and C-klasse are the smallest D segment cars on the inside, mainly because the RWD. But the likes of Mondeo, Superb or Talisman basically eat them alive when looking at the available space.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

Lads,

what range is your Ioniq showing you when fully changed from the home charger in the morning? Mine started 6 weeks ago when I got it at about 220km but it seems to be gradually dropping to today's value of 203km only! Should I attribute this to the rainy and cold weather we have here in the west?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Fermi wrote: »
    Lads,

what range is your Ioniq showing you when fully changed from the home charger in the morning? Mine started 6 weeks ago when I got it at about 220km but it seems to be gradually dropping to today's value of 203km only! Should I attribute this to the rainy and cold weather we have here in the west?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Slow down... It learns your driving style.

Just drive the car and don't worry about the predicted range you don't even need.

After a while you'll learn to drive and know yourself what you'll get from each say, 5 or 10% of charge rather than using the GOM.

grogi wrote: »
    Slow down... It learns your driving style.

Really? I did not know that. That would explain a bit, although I am not driving that fast, 90-100kmph (not really possible to drive faster on the full N17!)

It is not D segment... It is a regular C-Segment car. Its dimensions are exactly of Prius and Leaf

I've never been in a Prius of the recent generations, but the Prius is now marketed as a mid-size car, which is the US equivalent of our D-segment. I have been in a Leaf and it is far smaller inside than an Ioniq (apart from headroom which serves no purpose unless you're at least 6'4 and want to sit in the back :p)

And I'm certainly not claiming that Ioniq is as spacious on the inside as a Superb :p

I guess there is no set definition of segments. Some cars have a C-segment platform but the space of a D-segment (thinking Octavia here)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

Yeah on paper it looks like it has similar room to an Octavia, but without a big boot so basically similar to a Leon or Golf! The Superb set the benchmark and other large family cars are following suit, the new Insignia is a big car inside. Aside from shoulder room, legroom room the large family cars have a longer wheelbase which is preferred from a comfort perspective

With that said what's the story with the plug in Ioniq? How economical is it meant to be and how long will you get on electric power alone? I presume with the Ioniq's good aerodynamics it's going to be good on nice even on motorway? Has anybody here got one?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

this.lad wrote: »
    Was in Athlone today saw another charging in the town, starting to see more and more, its funny when you're tuned to the ev channel what you pick up.

Yup, this, I see Leaf's everywhere now and I've seen Ioniqs a few times too.

It really feels like EV's are quietly taking off here.
    Casati wrote: »
    With that said what's the story with the plug in Ioniq? How economical is it meant to be and how long will you get on electric power alone? I presume with the Ioniq's good aerodynamics it's going to be good on nice even on motorway? Has anybody here got one?

Most people (I don't) on this thread have the Ioniq EV. The hybrid doesn't seem to be selling at all.

Short of a Tesla, it is probably the best EV you can currently buy new (Leaf makes for a good second hand option if range suits).

It has excellent aerodynamics and yes that helps greatly with range. Range depends on the speed you are driving and weather conditions, but 200km is pretty normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The predicted range gets too much prominence in EVs. Just watch the battery % and km done. If I was the only one driving it, I'd be nearly inclined to put a piece of tape over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

And that's exactly it - spacious compact car.

3-er and C-klasse are the smallest D segment cars on the inside, mainly because the RWD. But the likes of Mondeo, Superb or Talisman basically eat them alive when looking at the available space.

Wait.

Are you saying the ioniq is a spacious compact!

Where am I, an American forum... Gerrrrruppp outta that.

Its the same size as my previous 3 series. And I've never heard that described as a compact.

Jaysus will you get back to the other side of the pond with that nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Water John wrote: »
    The predicted range gets too much prominence in EVs. Just watch the battery % and km done. If I was the only one driving it, I'd be nearly inclined to put a piece of tape over it.

Totally agree -- manufacturers do themselves no favours by putting the GOM front and centre in the display. Imagine if such prominence was given to the fuel gauge on a ICE car.

GOM is not as wild as it is in the Leaf (even from my 1 short test drive the range was crazy. I lost about 5km range in about 5km and then I lost 10km range in the next 1km and I wasn't even on a motorway :eek:), but it's not great either. It starts based on your previous driving (can't say fairer than that), and seems reasonably accurate, but once you've less than 50% battery, it becomes ridiculously pessimistic. The couple of times I have had mild range anxiety, looking at the percentage left (which does seem reliable), and trusting it, showed me there was not going to be a problem at all

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Are you saying the ioniq is a spacious compact!

Where am I, an American forum... Gerrrrruppp outta that.

I'm coming more from German Kompaktklasse, than American car classification.
    Its the same size as my previous 3 series. And I've never heard that described as a compact.

The car segments are fuzzy and there is no strict boundaries. But a wheelbase is a very good determination which segment particular car belongs too.

A compact (pardon, Kompakt) car is defined by the Sèvres definition - a Golf. This segments includes the cars with wheelbase of ~2650 mm - Golf (2637 mm), Octavia (2686 mm), Mégane (2669 mm), Focus (2648 mm) etc.

Next you have D-Segment (Mittelklasse) - the cars like Passat (2791 mm), Mondeo (2850 mm), Superb (2841 mm), 3-series (2810 mm) or C-Class (2,840 mm). Basically ~2825 mm of wheelbase. However the BMW and Mercedes are RWD - which significantly reduces the cabin space with same wheelbase - the engine is mounted behind the front axle, not before like in FWD cars. That's why the cabin space in them is comparable to the cars in a smaller segment.

Ioniq and Prius, with 2700mm of wheelbase, are somewhere in between. But are much closer to C than D. Spacious compacts they are!

Nice post, thanks for taking the time out to show us some measurements!
    Ioniq and Prius, with 2700mm of wheelbase, are somewhere in between.

Well the Prius is officially a mid-size (so D-segment car). As I said, I've never been in it, but let's presume Prius and Ioniq are equally spacious inside. Then there is not much arguing against calling them D-segment cars

I do know that the legroom in Ioniq is on a par with many cars a segment bigger than D-segment that I've had, BMW 5-series, Jaguar S-type, Saab 9-5. But not the width of the rear seats and certainly not the head room in the back :p Legroom was my main concern as I have 3 girls, none of them teenagers when I bought the car, and they will all be teenagers in less than 4 years time.

Out of interest, grogi, have you ever been in (the back of) an Ioniq?

Well the Prius is officially a mid-size (so D-segment car).

According to Wikipedia, Hyundai Ioniq is "is a compact five-door hatchback" ;)

No, I haven't just edited that :D It says so since 26th April. Before it was mentioned as mid-size though... So this confusion isn't something new :]
    I do know that the legroom in Ioniq is on a par with many cars a segment bigger than D-segment that I've had, BMW 5-series, Jaguar S-type, Saab 9-5. But not the width of the rear seats and certainly not the head room in the back Legroom was my main concern as I have 3 girls, none of them teenagers when I bought the car, and they will all be teenagers in less than 4 years time.

Each of which are either RWD (BMW E60), a few generations behind (cars do get bigger, Golf VII is bigger than Passat B4) or all of the above... ;)
    Out of interest, grogi, have you ever been in (the back of) an Ioniq?

My wife reads boards too, so I have to answer with a firm NO. I am not saying it is not spacious - it probably is. As was the Prius - one of very few cars I could put RWF carseat in the back and still put my 6'4" in the front...

You can make yourself feel better by saying it is D-segment car, but it really doesn't compare to any modern FWD D-segment/large family car really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Keep seeing Ioniqs around Lucan! Saw two of them two days in a row last week, I think I've seen 3 but can't remember. It's the only place I've seen them, apart from Fonthill heading towards the N4, which possibly belongs to someone in Lucan :D I'd love to have a go in one some day.

One of them must be mine DaveyDave. I do a lot of local driving in and around Lucan, morning, noon and night.

• Advertisement

I don't drive based on the GOM I drive based on the charge % remaining which is far more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Seen the ioniq for the first time today in Tuam, actually liked the front grill. Had seen a few hybrids but never the electric. Called into a Hyundai garage and they told me didn't know much about deliveries etc but said they should no more come October. They had just begun installing a public FCP which is good to see, hopefully there will be more of these popping up and as said somewhere else about lidl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

They had just begun installing a public FCP which is good to see, hopefully there will be more of these popping up and as said somewhere else about lidl

FCP?!?! :eek:

Keary's in Cork put in a SCP, a 2x22kW post I think. Not much use to passing customers really unless the car is sitting there for a couple of hours before/after a service.

Seen the ioniq for the first time today in Tuam, actually liked the front grill. Had seen a few hybrids but never the electric. Called into a Hyundai garage and they told me didn't know much about deliveries etc but said they should no more come October. They had just begun installing a public FCP which is good to see, hopefully there will be more of these popping up and as said somewhere else about lidl

Was it black one you saw? If so, that was probably mine. If it was polar white, I think that is the guy working in Steeltech Sheds, I see that one parked there every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

I am currently commuting 160 km round trip each day. Predominately on the m1. Would the Ioniq do this on a winters day? No charger at work. A couple of applegreens on the M1 but would obviously prefer not to have to go there.

Raoul wrote: »
    I am currently commuting 160 km round trip each day. Predominately on the m1. Would the Ioniq do this on a winters day? No charger at work. A couple of applegreens on the M1 but would obviously prefer not to have to go there.

If you're thinking about buying new why not wait and see what Leaf II brings ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

If you're thinking about buying new why not wait and see what Leaf II brings ?

I may not buy a new car. Might be looking for second hand.

Also I am not necessarily going to buy immediately. But looking towards buying at the end of the year. Hopefully my commuting situation changes but I want to explore all options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Raoul wrote: »
    Also I am not necessarily going to buy immediately. But looking towards buying at the end of the year. Hopefully my commuting situation changes but I want to explore all options.
    Ioniq's are thin on the ground. You'll do well to source one second hand - and with that, it' unlikely that it will come cheap.

Ioniqs second hand are more expensive than new :D

But yes it's perfect for your 160km commute. You will save a lot of money in fuel. Don't commit to buying anything yet though, wait until the new Leaf is out and we know more about prices and availability. It too should be perfect for your commute.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Have you factored in appreciation into the TCO figures :P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement