Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Maybe I should revise my own TCO calculations. I had EUR20k down as depreciation over 8 years. Maybe that should be minus EUR20k :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

Dublin to Killarney, anyone done it? Suggested route and charge points?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

Dublin to Killarney, anyone done it? Suggested route and charge points?

Did it back in July from Firhouse. If you stick to 110 on the motorway you can go Dublin to Limerick (Ballysimon FCP) with 12% battery left. After that you'll land in Killarney with plenty of battery. As an alternative you can use Roscrea FCP and travel at speed limits the whole way but there won't be much battery left by the time you reach Killarney.

As for route just take the motorway and main roads same as an ICE.

There's only 2 SCPs in the town but its quick enough to charge there. Alternatively the granny cable overnight should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

FCP?!?! :eek:

Keary's in Cork put in a SCP, a 2x22kW post I think. Not much use to passing customers really unless the car is sitting there for a couple of hours before/after a service.
    Yea he definitely told me that it's fast charge! Hyundai garage Tralee

Fermi wrote: »
    Was it black one you saw? If so, that was probably mine. If it was polar white, I think that is the guy working in Steeltech Sheds, I see that one parked there every day.

It was white actually so maybe that's it, I had my eyes open for a while to spot one so their still very rare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Yea he definitely told me that it's fast charge! Hyundai garage Tralee

If true that would fill a Kerry-sized hole in the CCS network. And given the attitude towards EVs of the Nissan dealer in the town I wish Hyundai every EV sale in the county.

Unfortunately it's not true. It's a 7kW charger. Just off the phone to them.

Let's hope the local Lidl will need a revamp soon. The only chance of getting a fast charger in Kerry...

unkel wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's not true. It's a 7kW charger. Just off the phone to them.

Let's hope the local Lidl will need a revamp soon. The only chance of getting a fast charger in Kerry...

Yas are right lads, just stopped there to check. The lad I was dealing with told me it was definitely FC but I guess he wasn't too up on it as their only starting to deal with ioniqs for 2018, it's crazy Tralee doesn't have any.

cros13 wrote: »
    If true that would fill a Kerry-sized hole in the CCS network. And given the attitude towards EVs of the Nissan dealer in the town I wish Hyundai every EV sale in the county.

I also called into them about the Leaf a few weeks back. I'll be waiting to get a 2018 car regardless of which one I decide to get. But the lad I was dealing with wasn't pushing too hard for a sale at all. I was asking about the 30kw leaf, he said it's 29,000 without 6.6 charging, and that if I went for the scrappage deal then there's no way I'd be getting anything else off it, is that the general experience yas have had?

• Advertisement

Yas are right lads, just stopped there to check. The lad I was dealing with told me it was definitely FC but I guess he wasn't too up on it as their only starting to deal with ioniqs for 2018, it's crazy Tralee doesn't have any.

Yeah I had to explain to him that 7kW is actually a slow charger. And yes, it's crazy there are none in Kerry :rolleyes:

It's nice enough from the Hyundai dealer that they let you charge (but only during business hours and only for Hyundai owners), but there are 5 slow chargers in Tralee already. You'd hardly find all of them in use / iced / broken

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I thought I'd spied a fast charger on the e-cars map for Killarney but I see now it's in a Nissan garage :eek: glad I checked this before we head down to Kerry next week. We'll potentially be going in our new Ioniq if it's ready for pick up next week :D

Yeah I had to explain to him that 7kW is actually a slow charger. And yes, it's crazy there are none in Kerry :rolleyes:

It's nice enough from the Hyundai dealer that they let you charge (but only during business hours and only for Hyundai owners), but there are 5 slow chargers in Tralee already. You'd hardly find all of them in use / iced / broken

Yea one of them came out to me when I was there and I asked him about the charger, he asked had I been just ringing about it so guessing it was you 😊 There's a FC charger over at the Nissan garage in Tralee but it's not public, maybe your allowed use it if purchasing there but I'm not sure

miamee wrote: »
    I thought I'd spied a fast charger on the e-cars map for Killarney but I see now it's in a Nissan garage :eek: glad I checked this before we head down to Kerry next week. We'll potentially be going in our new Ioniq if it's ready for pick up next week :D

I think that's public?

The fast chargers at the Nissan dealers are CHAdeMO, so they don't fit Ioniq!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

About 2 months ago they were all out of order except for the train station- so unfortunately it is possible.

A FCP in Castleisland or Farranfore would be ideal as they're close to both Tralee and Killarney. Have many Lidls installed chargers or is it just the one in Drogheda so far?

• Advertisement

Just the one in Drogheda last month. Over 100 in the EU though, so there's me hoping there will be more. Great initiative from Lidl and they will get more business from me because of it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's a thing that would strongly influence my grocery store decision.

If you think that a fast charge might soon enough cost €5 (or who knows, even €10), a free fast charge at Lidl would be a nice enough discount off your grocery shop for those of us who have no home charging!

miamee wrote: »

There's usually no issue using rapid's in garages with another brand of EV... the main issue with the Nissan rapids is that none of them have CCS for your Ioniq.
    I think that's public?

Randle's got the rapid at subsidised rate from Nissan, with the contract allowing access for any Nissan customer (though in practice most allow other EVs to charge as well).
    An issue came up about 2 years ago where Randle's got tired of this whole "EV malarkey" and decided they wanted to limit access to the only two rapids in Kerry (Randle's Killarney & Tralee) to only their own customers, some reports have them demanding money, some just told they couldn't charge, one report even had them threatening calling the guards on one poor Leaf owner passing through.
    Nissan Ireland smacked them down fairly quickly, then there were issues getting access for maintenance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Randle's got the rapid at subsidised rate from Nissan, with the contract allowing access for any Nissan customer (though in practice most allow other EVs to charge as well).
    An issue came up about 2 years ago where Randle's got tired of this whole "EV malarkey" and decided they wanted to limit access to the only two rapids in Kerry (Randle's Killarney & Tralee) to only their own customers, some reports have them demanding money, some just told they couldn't charge, one report even had them threatening calling the guards on one poor Leaf owner passing through.
    Nissan Ireland smacked them down fairly quickly, then there were issues getting access for maintenance.

So, whats the state of play with the Killarney one now? Is it usable by people passing through(Chademo only) or are they still kicking off about it?

Looking at the eCars map... Kerry is a disaster. One Chademo and thats it! Dingle and Kenmare (and maybe Tarbert for the ferry) should have triple heat units. World class network eh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

KCross wrote: »
    So, whats the state of play with the Killarney one now? Is it usable by people passing through(Chademo only) or are they still kicking off about it?

Looking at the eCars map... Kerry is a disaster. One Chademo and thats it! Dingle and Kenmare (and maybe Tarbert for the ferry) should have triple heat units. World class network eh!
    Clearly the Healy-Raes have no interest in EVs. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Where did you get that idea?!

With the possible exception of the SCP network, our network is sparse and unreliable. The *only* upside is that it is free, and that it is joined up (ie one card access for all north and south). Other than that, it is pathetic IMo.

Falcon L wrote: »
    Clearly the Healy-Raes have no interest in EVs. :D
    God above controls the transport sector and he uses fossil fuels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

ELM327 wrote: »
    Where did you get that idea?!

With the possible exception of the SCP network, our network is sparse and unreliable. The *only* upside is that it is free, and that it is joined up (ie one card access for all north and south). Other than that, it is pathetic IMo.

It was a dig at eCars. They tell us its a world class network.

They had the Tralee rapid removed and AFAIK gave up on blocking access to Killarney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

It was a dig at eCars. They tell us its a world class network.

Sadly many EV drivers agree!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

They had the Tralee rapid removed and AFAIK gave up on blocking access to Killarney.

The unit in Killarney generally looks free and isn't used for general parking but from talking to somebody there I wouldn't be using Randles electricity unless you had a Nissan.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've always been somewhat confused by the reports of the Portlaoise charge point running so fast.

From the spec sheets the Efacec chargers are rated as

DC Output -
    Voltage 50 Vdc to 500 Vdc
    Current 0 to 120 A

To my mind we should have been maxing out at 60kW. I hooked up my OBDII when charging at Blanch. We were pulling 400Vdc and 125A to give us the 50kW.

I must do a run down there to spy on the charger.

liamog wrote: »
    I've always been somewhat confused by the reports of the Portlaoise charge point running so fast.

From the spec sheets the Efacec chargers are rated as

DC Output -
    Voltage 50 Vdc to 500 Vdc
    Current 0 to 120 A

To my mind we should have been maxing out at 60kW. I hooked up my OBDII when charging at Blanch. We were pulling 400Vdc and 125A to give us the 50kW.

I must do a run down there to spy on the charger.

I know that the max speed of the Chademo protocol currently in use is 62.5 kW, however don't know what the max of CCS is currently (100kW perhaps?)
    I think it's a software bug allowing the CCS plug to draw all available power on (some of?) the efacec units as I saw Ioniqs able to pull north of 65kW at Naas and at Midway. When the software was written and the units installed they probably didn't have a CCS car to test with, and certainly not one capable of pulling >50kW.

From memory I have not seen higher than 400V DC on any charger in Ireland. However, the efacec units don't seem to report (to me anyway) the volts and amps. It only shows the instantaneous kW being delivered and also the total kWh delivered for the session. The DBT units show more information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I think it's a software bug allowing the CCS plug to draw all available power on (some of?) the efacec units as I saw Ioniqs able to pull north of 65kW at Naas and at Midway. When the software was written and the units installed they probably didn't have a CCS car to test with, and certainly not one capable of pulling >50kW.

But don't you think that a receiver simulator was available? With regulated receiving power etc.?

• Advertisement

Kia have installed some 100 Kw ChaDeMo chargers, so I don't think it's limited to just 62 Kw.

grogi wrote: »
    But don't you think that a receiver simulator was available? With regulated receiving power etc.?

Perhaps it was, but it must have been faulty as the chargers delivering over 50kW is outside the rated delivery.
    Kia have installed some 100 Kw ChaDeMo chargers, so I don't think it's limited to just 62 Kw.

The chademo protocol is limited to 62.5kW in the chademo 1 spec sheet. I have provided you with this information already on another thread.

I understand there are some 100kW chargers being installed by kia but I do not know under what protocol these fall. Are they higher voltage DC? Higher amperage? 500volts at 125 amps is the max of the Chademo 1.0 protocol, giving a max output of 62.5 kW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Perhaps it was, but it must have been faulty as the chargers delivering over 50kW is outside the rated delivery.

CCS is not limited to 50 kW.

grogi wrote: »
    CCS is not limited to 50 kW.
    No but the charger is.
    Or is supposed to be.

The charger is a 50kW DC charger and is only rated to deliver 50kW max

Most of the spec sheets report the power output at 400V.
    Could the Portlaoise charger be running at 500V which would give us 500x125 for 62.5kW?

The chademo protocol is limited to 62.5kW in the chademo 1 spec sheet. I have provided you with this information already on another thread.

I understand there are some 100kW chargers being installed by kia but I do not know under what protocol these fall. Are they higher voltage DC? Higher amperage? 500volts at 125 amps is the max of the Chademo 1.0 protocol, giving a max output of 62.5 kW.

They're obviously ChaDeMo 1 since ChaDeMo II isn't available yet.

I do not know at what voltage the chargers support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I know that the max speed of the Chademo protocol currently in use is 62.5 kW, however don't know what the max of CCS is currently (100kW perhaps?)

From memory I have not seen higher than 400V DC on any charger in Ireland. However, the efacec units don't seem to report (to me anyway) the volts and amps. It only shows the instantaneous kW being delivered and also the total kWh delivered for the session. The DBT units show more information.

look down near the bottom of the EFacec units you will see a current power meter, divide that number by 400 to get amps

BoatMad wrote: »
    look down near the bottom of the EFacec units you will see a current power meter, divide that number by 400 to get amps

But it's not exact. You could be drawing well below 400V due to low SOC.
    DBT units show the volts and amps.

I was using Torque to pull the info from the BMS.

FpV2CwN.png?1

I'll do the same at Portlaoise sometime.

• Advertisement

Interesting info to have, that shows it is taking 0.6a over the 125a at a higher SOC than I would have expected. The voltage rises as the battery charges so I would theorize based on the above that if you are telling me you charged at >62.5kW earlier in the charge that it was the amperage that changed not the volts.

The voltage rises as the charger rises it to keep above the voltage of the battery. The voltage differential between the pack and the charger is what that charger uses to control the current. The higher the voltage differential the higher the current.

That session was at Blanchardstown so was running at ~48kW for most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Interesting as - I think - that display shows you are taking 96% of the available power. Wonder what would have happened if a Zoe tried to charge on AC?

Interesting as - I think - that display shows you are taking 96% of the available power. Wonder what would have happened if a Zoe tried to charge on AC?

The Zoe would get at least 12kW, at the cost of the CCS

• Advertisement

I got 68kW at Midway iirc (posted it here a few pages back)

I haven't even seen it hit 50kW at any of the other efacec chargers. But I think mad lad got it at other chargers too? Makes a nice difference. 20%-90% in less than 20 minutes :D

I got 23-90% in 25 mins in the test Ioniq, yes I saw 68 Kw for a while, it made a big difference compared to a 24 Kwh Leaf, night and day really.

You can live much easier with a limited range EV with much faster charging. But with twice the range you have much more freedom from the public charging network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

At Midway FCP the ioniq I tested back in Feb wa able to pull 26kw in just 26 min. That was more than the entire battery of my all Leaf... You can count the speed...

peposhi wrote: »
    At Midway FCP the ioniq I tested back in Feb wa able to pull 26kw in just 26 min. That was more than the entire battery of my all Leaf... You can count the speed...

Did you get a 30 Kwh leaf after or still got the 24 Kwh ? think I remember you talking about it at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Did you get a 30 Kwh leaf after or still got the 24 Kwh ? think I remember you talking about it at least.

Oh, yes, I did. 6 months a go, SVE, 6.6kwh, done nearly 12k km on it, love it!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement