Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

I'm not sure that kW meter on the Midway rapid is accurate... according to it my 30kWh leaf was pulling 60kW last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Maybe it isn't. I have to admit I took the display as a given. I didn't check how long it actually took for my charge. Peposhi and mad lad seem prett sure it was fast though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

If it managed to put 26kw in 26 min I'd say I'd be safe to state it was charging at 60kwh average

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

A question for you guys...we are picking up our new 172 D today (yay) and driving tonight to Kerry from Dublin.

If we're fully charged when hitting the road, is a stop in Roscrea and then somewhere closer to destination (Valentia) going to be enough? We currently drive a Leaf so we are well used to the stopping to charge but obviously the Combo DC is a bit more scarce plus this is a longer distance than we'd ever attempt in the Leaf - I'm a little bit apprehensive about it tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

miamee wrote: »
    A question for you guys...we are picking up our new 172 D today (yay) and driving tonight to Kerry from Dublin.

If we're fully charged when hitting the road, is a stop in Roscrea and then somewhere closer to destination (Valentia) going to be enough? We currently drive a Leaf so we are well used to the stopping to charge but obviously the Combo DC is a bit more scarce plus this is a longer distance than we'd ever attempt in the Leaf - I'm a little bit apprehensive about it tbh!

That's 400km so will be a good test to do with one stop and I'd be interested to see how you get on, please report back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

cros13 wrote: »
    I'm not sure that kW meter on the Midway rapid is accurate... according to it my 30kWh leaf was pulling 60kW last night.

Im trying to remember now but isn't it the case that for DC charging it is the charger that ultimately decides what rate to deliver?

The car will tell the charger what rate to deliver but the charger can in effect do what it likes as its a direct connection to the battery?

If thats the case maybe there is a fault and its just providing max, even for the Leaf's! :eek:

Well wear! You're the 20th Ioniq EV owner who has posted here on boards :cool:

Please fill in the below list too!

As for charging stops - where in Dublin are you starting from and what speed would you drive at? I'm in Lucan myself and I would probably drive in one go to Limerick FCP to charge (190km) taking it a bit handy. Probably safer is to charge at Midway (superfast charger, up to 69kW) for a 10-15 minute charge and then full speed to Limerick. From there on only slow chargers I'm afraid, but you should make it to Valentia island (180km) with plenty to spare.

1. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171 WH
    2. liamog - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    3. zale - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 171WH
    4. unkel - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    5. Mope - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    6. thelikelylad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171C
    7. woppers - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WX
    8. don't be at yourself - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171D
    9. Ballylad - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171CW
    10. Coconut Joe - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172D
    11. Macker-Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 172??
    12. Fermi - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172MO
    13. Johnnyjohnjohns - Ioniq BEV - Aurora Silver - 172D
    14. this.lad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172
    15. CarefulNow! - Ioniq BEV - Polar White 172D
    16. Moreilly - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 172KE
    17. Neleven - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 172 WW
    18. DglFlyer -Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 171 CE
    19. jeremy_g - Platinum Silver - 171WW
    20. miamee - ??? - 172??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

LG Chem are expanding battery production in Wroclaw (PL) and Michigan (US), Wroclaw batteries are believed to be mainly for Renault, Michigan for Chevy. This should free up some capacity in Cheongju (SK) for Hyundai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

KCross wrote: »
    Im trying to remember now but isn't it the case that for DC charging it is the charger that ultimately decides what rate to deliver?

The car will tell the charger what rate to deliver but the charger can in effect do what it likes as its a direct connection to the battery?

If thats the case maybe there is a fault and its just providing max, even for the Leaf's! :eek:
    Is it not the case that the BMS sets and maintains a maximum demand depending on the BMS criteria (heat, SOC, voltage etc) and the charger delivers what it can up to that.

The Ioniq can demand up to 70kW I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

unkel wrote: »
    Well wear! You're the 20th Ioniq EV owner who has posted here on boards :cool:

Please fill in the below list too!

As for charging stops - where in Dublin are you starting from and what speed would you drive at? I'm in Lucan myself and I would probably drive in one go to Limerick FCP to charge (190km) taking it a bit handy. Probably safer is to charge at Midway (superfast charger, up to 69kW) for a 10-15 minute charge and then full speed to Limerick. From there on only slow chargers I'm afraid, but you should make it to Valentia island (180km) with plenty to spare.

We're starting out at Blanchardstown so will top up at the shopping centre before we hit the road. I guess we'll see how we're doing on the way to stop at either Portlaoise or Roscrea and then fully charge at Limerick for the final leg. If we make it in time for the ferry across to the island we'll cut a few kms off the distance :)

For the list - it's 172 D in Marina Blue.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Blanch to Midway is only around 92km. Well within range of the Ioniq. Will they have the car fully charged before setting off? (Or even 50%)

Blanch, Lucan, and Naas are busy chargers so it may be best to avoid if you are sprinting cross country for a ferry.

1. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171 WH
    20. miamee - Marina Blue - 172D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

We're starting out at Blanchardstown so will top up at the shopping centre before we hit the road. I guess we'll see how we're doing on the way to stop at either Portlaoise or Roscrea and then fully charge at Limerick for the final leg. If we make it in time for the ferry across to the island we'll cut a few kms off the distance :)

I'd probably aim for Portlaoise so you'll have Roscrea then as a backup. Then head for Limerick. You'll be fine from Limerick onwards. You'll probably only need about 15 mins in Portlaoise and another 15 in Limerick. 30mins charging en-route for a 5 hour journey isn't too bad. :)

Well wear and enjoy the spin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

If you'll be leaving on full and would prefer you can set max speed to 110kph on the M7 and should hit limerick FCP with about 10% left. It'll be tight but doable...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

As of today... :D

1. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WH
    20. miamee - Marina Blue - 172D
    21. Cocolola - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 172G

Well wear, Cocolola :)

First Galway reg Ioniq EV on here. Maybe even the first in the country?

I was able to capture a log from the BMS during charging at Lucan and Midway.
    I wanted to see just what was causing the fabled 65kW charging that is so often reported.
    I've bad news, it's nay but a placebo :(

The reading on the charger is not showing what the car receives.

ZEt9dBs.jpg?1

I've the following fields recorded Battery Current(A), Battery DC Voltage(V), and State of Charge BMS(%). And I've calculated the Power (kW) using Power = Current * Voltage.
    Another thing to note is that the BMS State of charge and Display State of charge are not 100% aligned. At 80% BMS the display will read 84%. At lower levels it reverses so 13% Display is actually 15% BMS.
    I need to confirm the offset for the lower numbers, but the above 80% is almost exactly 4%. This probably explains why the Ioniq appears to charge at it's highest rates to 84% instead of 80%. On the inside it's at 80%.

Charging at Lucan

State of Charge BMS (%) | Average of Battery Current(A) | Average of Battery DC Voltage (V) | Average of Power (kW)
    25-30 | -125.12 | 359.48 | -44.98
    30-35 | -125.61 | 360.24 | -45.25
    35-40 | -126.18 | 364.54 | -46
    40-45 | -125.07 | 366.41 | -45.83
    45-50 | -125.17 | 369 | -46.19
    50-55 | -125.26 | 371.84 | -46.58
    55-60 | -125.18 | 375.04 | -46.95
    60-65 | -125.09 | 378.77 | -47.38
    65-70 | -125.01 | 382.86 | -47.86
    70-75 | -125.28 | 387.5 | -48.55
    75-80 | -98.33 | 390.84 | -38.43
    80-85 | -56.76 | 391.69 | -22.23
    85-90 | -41.72 | 396.27 | -16.52

Charging at Midway (Portlaoise)

State of Charge BMS (%) | Average of Battery Current(A) | Average of Battery DC Voltage (V) | Average of Power (kW)
    45-50 | -122.9 | 356.37 | -43.8
    55-60 | -124.96 | 374.3 | -46.77
    60-65 | -125.07 | 376.87 | -47.14
    65-70 | -124.83 | 381.48 | -47.62
    70-75 | -125.11 | 386.43 | -48.35
    75-80 | -105.16 | 390.52 | -41.06
    80-85 | -56.43 | 391.4 | -22.09
    85-90 | -42.72 | 396.08 | -16.91

I find this a bit bizzar because the Charger obviously shows the total power consumed, same with the leaf obviously, and with Leaf spy the power going to the battery certainly does not show 30 Kw in the difference so there is something wrong somewhere......

Charging is not that inefficient,

If the charger is showing 62 Kw then it's pulling 62 Kw from the mains, there is in no way nearly 30 Kw of a loss here, something is not right.

Regarding the SOC on the dash V BMS, this is the same on the Leaf, below 30% the leaf might show 30 % on the dash but leaf spy shows maybe 37%.

• Advertisement

The other chargers I've used are within margins that I'd put down to efficiency loss.

At this point, I believe the Portlaise charger may have a fault, I think I'll avoid it for the moment.
    I really don't want to find out the hard way where the other 18kW is going.

Does anyone have a contact in eCars who would be able to do something with the data.

Oh and if anyone is interested, the reported battery went down 45% for the 120km trip between Lucan, Durrow and Midway.
    We did it the cross country way thanks to my L Plates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭fred432

I drove from Ennis to Dublin with 192 on clock. Plan was to stop at Midway which was 153km. Now I was doing around 120. Range was alright till Limerick but from there till Roscrea our +40km on the range (to Midway) had dropped to +13km. So I gave it 5 mins in Roscrea which got us to Midway. From Midway to Blanchardstown I didn't lose anything on range even though I did 120ish. Is there any topography based app which can work out the energy used to get somewhere? Those long slow hills around Nenagh really seemed to steal the range! Stopped in Midway on the way back. Was about 25km on range and took 31 mins to full. It didn't seem any faster than what I got at any other fast charger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The first 5/6 miles from my house is almost all downhill. If I was to believe range, I could motor forever.
    I understand your query. Climbs eat battery. But the % being used and left in the battery are your important figures, not the est range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

fred432 wrote: »
    I drove from Ennis to Dublin with 192 on clock. Plan was to stop at Midway which was 153km. Now I was doing around 120. Range was alright till Limerick but from there till Roscrea our +40km on the range (to Midway) had dropped to +13km. So I gave it 5 mins in Roscrea which got us to Midway. From Midway to Blanchardstown I didn't lose anything on range even though I did 120ish. Is there any topography based app which can work out the energy used to get somewhere? Those long slow hills around Nenagh really seemed to steal the range! Stopped in Midway on the way back. Was about 25km on range and took 31 mins to full. It didn't seem any faster than what I got at any other fast charger.

Thought it would make Dublin to Limerick @ 120
    the way posters go on about it here

Must take alot more than 14kwh per 100km then

Well , most Ioniq drivers haven't got over the new EV experience yet of "seeing how much you can get out of her"

On my 207 Km test not going over 110 Kph except for a few over taking short bursts I averaged 15.3 Kwh/100 kms which matched pretty closely the EPA figure.

The EPA for the updated 2013 Leaf was 18.7 Kwh/100 Kms if I remember correctly which again matches closely my figures.

Yes I can get 13 Kwh/100 kms and all that but I'd rather give my Kwh/100 on my commute which I believe is what most people will experience.

My commute can see anything from 15 - 21 Kwh/100 kms depending on how much above 120 Kph I go.

I also think the EPA's figure of 2.5-3 Kwh/100 km for the Ioniq over the Leaf is pretty accurate.

So the EPA's test for the 2018 Leaf should give a good indication of what to expect and yes, of course you'll do better and worse.

But for instance if the EPA result for the 2018 Leaf is 15 Kwh/100 Kms then you'll know on average it's 3.7 Kwh/100 Kms more efficient than the current Leaf on average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

Any recommendations for valet North Dublin, seats and carpet need shampoo and conditioner. Kiddy volcano in the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭fred432

thierry14 wrote: »

I probably would have made Dublin to Limerick on the way back. I met a guy at the fast charger in Limerick and he makes it to Dublin without charging. I just have an extra 40km from Ennis. And I can't resist the 120km/h! I just checked the car and it says 14.6kwh/100km after 5200km. That's a very varied mixture of driving and a lot in sport mode which is great fun! I charge mostly at home. After 4200km I had €80 on my ESB bill with no nightsaver so I'm happy!!

thierry14 wrote: »

Nobody said Ioniq can do 200km @120km/h (14kWh/100km)

It is more like 180km, so 15.5kWh/100km. I'd say Leaf would be more like 20kWh/100km at 120km/h GPS speed.

In fact I'd say there's probably only Ioniq that can do it in under 20kWh/100km, maybe Tesla Model S just about too and come to think of it the eGolf should too.

The Ioniq is not 5 Kwh/100 kms more efficient than the Leaf event he EPA put it at about 3 Kwh/100 kms more efficient than the Leaf which matched my own observations.

It will be interesting to get the EPA result for the updated Leaf.

• Advertisement

The Ioniq is not 5 Kwh/100 kms more efficient than the Leaf

At 120km/h (GPS speed)? I would be very surprised it the Leaf would be better than 20kWh/100km. In fact I would bet money that it isn't.

Do you think the range of the 24kWh Leaf at 120km/h (GPS) is more than 120km? ;)

24kWh/(20kWh/100km) = 120km

The Leaf will be 20-21 Kwh/100 Km at continuous 127 Kph which is GPS 120.

Someone needs to loan me their Ioniq because the Ioniq is magic if it's 5 Kwh/100 Km more efficient lol

I must see if I can get the test Ioniq from lyng in Carlow again.

Someone needs to loan me their Ioniq because the Ioniq is magic if it's 5 Kwh/100 Km more efficient lol

Nothing magic about it, mainly because of better aerodynamics. And you think a difference of 5kWh/100km is a stretch? Probably more like 10kWh/100km more efficient at 165km/h (if only Leaf could do this)

If there is a practical way of testing the efficiency of these cars side-by-side at speed (say 140km/h GPS tested speed), please let me know and I'll volunteer for it (and I'm sure you would too)

At 120km/h (GPS speed)? I would be very surprised it the Leaf would be better than 20kWh/100km. In fact I would bet money that it isn't.

Do you think the range of the 24kWh Leaf at 120km/h (GPS) is more than 120km? ;)

24kWh/(20kWh/100km) = 120km
    From my own experience it is very much north of 20. I've seen averages of 22-23kWh/100km.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 RonanFarrell

Well wear, Cocolola :)

First Galway reg Ioniq EV on here. Maybe even the first in the country?

Another 172 G reg here (white).
    It was accidentally registered to Westport, Co. Galway :)

1. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WH
    19. jeremy_g - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171WW
    20. miamee - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 172D
    21. Cocolola - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 172G
    22. RonanFarrell - Ioniq BEV - Polar White 172G

Because I have the data :)

Driving from Midway back to the M50.

I've taken all my data points that were above 115km/h (there were 296 of them)

Average consumption at the time was 16.9 kWh/100km with an average speed of 122km/h. (Mrs liamog likes to set the cruise to 127km/h).

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

Another 172 G reg here (white).
    It was accidentally registered to Westport, Co. Galway :)

So, another electric Ioniq in Mayo?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 RonanFarrell

Yes indeed. I'm mostly around the Westport, Ballinrobe, Castlebar, & Newport areas. Just over 4,000km now. - And loving it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

Yes indeed. I'm mostly around the Westport, Ballinrobe, Castlebar, & Newport areas. Just over 4,000km now. - And loving it :D

I have done 6600km in two months, I would never go back to my old car! Good luck and may we meet some time behind McDonalds in Castlebar getting some fast juice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

ELM327 wrote: »
    From my own experience it is very much north of 20. I've seen averages of 22-23kWh/100km.

all I know is my Leaf after 72,000km is reporting an average of 14.3 kw/100km

You have a very light foot, BoatMad :)

And you obviously drive like Miss Daisy on motorways :pac:

My average over 2016 was 18.9 Kwh/100 Kms very heavy foot though and lots of 120-130 Kph on motorway for commute but also includes non motorway driving, it is after all an average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

You have a very light foot, BoatMad :)

And you obviously drive like Miss Daisy on motorways :pac:

105 -110 km/h indicated speedo on motorways, speed limit elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Fermi wrote: »
    Good luck and may we meet some time behind McDonalds in Castlebar getting some fast juice.
    A very badly placed piece of infrastructure given how busy that car park is. Had a blazing argument with a guy who ICE'ed it one time. He had to get into his car from the passenger side :D
    That said, they do have clamping signs right behind the 2x parking spaces now.

BoatMad wrote: »
    all I know is my Leaf after 72,000km is reporting an average of 14.3 kw/100km
    My average over 2016 was 18.9 Kwh/100 Kms very heavy foot though and lots of 120-130 Kph on motorway for commute but also includes non motorway driving, it is after all an average.

Mine is also at nearly 19, but I drive at 120+ real world speeds for most of my driving, work + home charging put paid to driving at indicated 100 for range conservation! I was seeing around 13.5-14 when I got the car first and experienced range anxiety (for the first days)

Before I got work charging my average was around 16 Kwh/100 kms if I remember correctly, I'd have to go back to carwings to find out. Having every trip logged is quiet convenient.

I drive 127 Kph clock speed to 135 Kph clock speed for most of my commute. Because I work shift I travel only 5 days a month in peak traffic and that makes a huge difference to efficiency, trip average without traffic and heavy foot anywhere 19-22 Kwh/100 Km with traffic 15-18 Kwh/100 km.

Before I got work charging my average was around 16 Kwh/100 kms if I remember correctly, I'd have to go back to carwings to find out. Having every trip logged is quiet convenient.

I drive 127 Kph clock speed to 135 Kph clock speed for most of my commute. Because I work shift I travel only 5 days a month in peak traffic and that makes a huge difference to efficiency, trip average without traffic and heavy foot anywhere 19-22 Kwh/100 Km with traffic 15-18 Kwh/100 km.

What car is that?

Casati wrote: »
    What car is that?

2015 Leaf 24kWh

Figures look about right to me. 19-21kWh/100km with heavy foot and plenty of 120km/h (real speed) driving in Leaf. Same driving about 14-16kWh/100km in Ioniq.

• Advertisement

2015 Leaf 24kWh

Figures look about right to me. 19-21kWh/100km with heavy foot and plenty of 120km/h (real speed) driving in Leaf. Same driving about 14-16kWh/100km in Ioniq.

So simple maths would that mean 24/21 * 100 to get the range? 114km assuming worst case

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement