Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Casati wrote: »
    So simple maths would that mean 24/21 * 100 to get the range? 114km assuming worst case
    Yes but that's using 100% of the real battery capacity which you will not get,.
    The leaf generally gives about 22kWh usable capacity.
    So it's 22/21*100 or 104.76km and that's from 100% full to empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Did Cork -> Dublin -> Cork last night for the Ireland match.

Efficiency was about 18.9kWh/100km for most of the last leg from Ballacolla to Cork, until Fermoy when I started to get a small bit of range anxiety :P. Flat out cruise control 120km/h, 21.5c climate, 2 adults, 12c outside. That leg always seems to be tough on efficiency due to hills.

Slowed up to sub 100km/h and made it home with 8%.

I wish there was a decent 24/7 service station + FCP in Urlingford. It's roughly 130km from Dublin and 130km from Cork. You could put the boot down pretty comfortably all-year round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes but that's using 100% of the real battery capacity which you will not get,.
    The leaf generally gives about 22kWh usable capacity.
    So it's 22/21*100 or 104.76km and that's from 100% full to empty.

And in Ioniq the 28kWh is usable, so you'll get (28/16)*100 = 175km from 100% full to empty

Now these are fairly conservative figures, applicable if you drive hard and at 120km/h and even cater for a bit of winter and bad weather / wind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

Hello Guys,

I know this was probably discussed, but can anybody please recommend insurance company that is not being crazy with premiums? I am trying to renew my policy for Ioniq but from 600ish euro for my previous car I am now getting quotes of 1000+ euro.

Thanks,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Zurich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Fermi wrote: »
    Hello Guys,

I know this was probably discussed, but can anybody please recommend insurance company that is not being crazy with premiums? I am trying to renew my policy for Ioniq but from 600ish euro for my previous car I am now getting quotes of 1000+ euro.

Thanks,

Try the AA (Aviva)

My insurance went down when I changed to the Ioniq.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Lads, quick question....How are you finding the heater in the Ioniq ? Im cranking up the heater in the mornings and the air still cool coming out, pressing everything nothing seems to help, sometimes it gets warm (after about 20 min) have tried on auto on/off, ac on/off, heat symbol lit up /off all combinations of the above ect... and i hit the button to change which vents the air comes out and it just switches back itself to the window vent almost immediately... what am i doing wrong ! ! ( probably something stupid..!)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The car has an auto defogging system.
    You can turn it off by holding the defroster button for three seconds when the car is on. An icon showing ADS Off should blink to confirm that it's turned off.
    If you manually select the vents when ADS is detecting fogging it overrides your decision.

I've not noticed any issues with the heating system, it's been quick enough to heat the car when needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Moreilly wrote: »
    Im cranking up the heater in the mornings

Why aren't you preheating the cabin?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

I noticed same with the no heat while heat on.... Where is defrost button!?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's the one with the three squiggly lines

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Moreilly

liamog wrote: »
    The car has an auto defogging system.
    You can turn it off by holding the defroster button for three seconds when the car is on. An icon showing ADS Off should blink to confirm that it's turned off.
    If you manually select the vents when ADS is detecting fogging it overrides your decision.

I've not noticed any issues with the heating system, it's been quick enough to heat the car when needed.
    Thanks for that, I'll give it a go ! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

Great description! Found it straight away ha thanks

Announced by Hyundai. Details are vague, but it looks like Hyundai are going to run it themselves, which is surprising!

Linky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Is it too early to compare current Ioniq to 2018 Leaf?

New Leaf isn't amazing or anyting, but it holds well in comparison to current Ioniq, especially range, suggested price and dare I say it looks nice too?

Ioniq of course is more efficient with smaller battery pack, quicker to charge, and more practical shape with a more practical boot especially with rear seats folded.

I wonder how Hyundai is going to respond - since there's no new news on larger battery pack Ioniq for 2018, I am guessing they are bettin on other models like Kona to take shine away from new Leaf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

positron wrote: »
    Is it too early to compare current Ioniq to 2018 Leaf?

New Leaf isn't amazing or anyting, but it holds well in comparison to current Ioniq, especially range, suggested price and dare I say it looks nice too?

Ioniq of course is more efficient with smaller battery pack, quicker to charge, and more practical shape with a more practical boot especially with rear seats folded.

I wonder how Hyundai is going to respond - since there's no new news on larger battery pack Ioniq for 2018, I am guessing they are bettin on other models like Kona to take shine away from new Leaf?

Ioniq is so good with a few tweaks it can have Tesla worried

The rumoured 44kWh pack and a uprated motor to 175-200bhp would give the Model 3 a run

I presume Unkel, that Hyundai want to control and develop the business model.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

miamee wrote: »
    We're starting out at Blanchardstown so will top up at the shopping centre before we hit the road. I guess we'll see how we're doing on the way to stop at either Portlaoise or Roscrea and then fully charge at Limerick for the final leg. If we make it in time for the ferry across to the island we'll cut a few kms off the distance :)

For the list - it's 172 D in Marina Blue.
    I didn't get lost in the wilderness, will post about the trip in a bit more detail later. Suffice to say with 2 weeks off work since we got it we have put 2k+ kms on the clock, been all over the country and are very happy with the new car :)
    Hello Guys,

Thanks,
    Try the AA (Aviva)

My insurance went down when I changed to the Ioniq.

This is who we got our best quote from too, by a mile better than others.

I didn't get lost in the wilderness, will post about the trip in a bit more detail later. Suffice to say with 2 weeks off work since we got it we have put 2k+ kms on the clock, been all over the country and are very happy with the new car :)
    Was that yourself I was talking to at ballinasloe charging point the other day?
    I was in the white (brown at that point with mud :o) leaf.

I was talking to someone in a blue 172d Ioniq anyway, who had just got it and was checking out the range.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Was that yourself I was talking to at ballinasloe charging point the other day?
    I was in the white (brown at that point with mud :o) leaf.

I was talking to someone in a blue 172d Ioniq anyway, who had just got it and was checking out the range.

That was us! I think it was at the FCP in Carnmore Cross though - we were on the way from Oranmore to Sligo that day :D

That was us! I think it was at the FCP in Carnmore Cross though - we were on the way from Oranmore to Sligo that day :D
    Hmm. I've never been to carnmore cross so if so perhaps there was another similar meeting :D
    I find EV owners to be a friendly group (generally) so I have no problems at all conversing with fellow owners at chargers whether I'm queueing or they are. Especially if I see someone is new and perhaps struggling to use the fcp/scp due to lack of dealer advice.

Hmm. I've never been to carnmore cross so if so perhaps there was another similar meeting :D
    I find EV owners to be a friendly group (generally) so I have no problems at all conversing with fellow owners at chargers whether I'm queueing or they are. Especially if I see someone is new and perhaps struggling to use the fcp/scp due to lack of dealer advice.

Well maybe we were at Ballinasloe then...I just thought it was closer to the city and had a look at the map there :o There was myself and bf and you were wearing a Galway jersey and sunglasses? Lol, maybe we were talking to different people! You are right, almmost always a friendly bunch and some chats to be had at a charger.

Well maybe we were at Ballinasloe then...I just thought it was closer to the city and had a look at the map there :o There was myself and bf and you were wearing a Galway jersey and sunglasses? Lol, maybe we were talking to different people! You are right, almmost always a friendly bunch and some chats to be had at a charger.
    NEVER! lol
    Definitely not me so.

Similar interaction but I would never be in a galway jersey, the family are from Roscommon so I'd be disowned!

Ok well a similar interaction happened at Carnmore Cross the week before last but with a Galway supporter and ourselves :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

A white one clamped just now on Earlsfort Terrace across from Conrad.

Do they clamp if it's fully charged and still taking up the space? I did see it over 3 hours ago in the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

Wheety wrote: »
    Do they clamp if it's fully charged and still taking up the space? I did see it over 3 hours ago in the same place.

that would block the charge point and render it useless and making the most expensive charging for the offender :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

https://www.cars.com/articles/2017-hyundai-ioniq-electric-recall-alert-1420697241176/

Snippet:
    The Problem: Manufacturing defects within the electric power control unit may allow coolant to contact the unit's circuit board, causing a stall and increasing the risk of a crash.

Apparently being recalled in Europe too.
    https://speakev.com/threads/ioniq-ev-recall.73649/

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

Is anyone aware of any Dublin car parks where you can store and charge your Ioniq over night? If there are a few I am looking for the closest one to Haercourt Street, or kilmainham jail.

Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

unkel, you can stick me on the list, Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171 D.
    unkel wrote: »
    1. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WH
    2. liamog - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    3. zale - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 171WH
    4. unkel - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    5. Mope - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    6. thelikelylad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171C
    7. woppers - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WX
    8. don't be at yourself - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171D
    9. Ballylad - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171CW
    10. Coconut Joe - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172D
    11. Macker-Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 172??
    12. Fermi - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172MO
    13. Johnnyjohnjohns - Ioniq BEV - Aurora Silver - 172D
    14. this.lad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172
    15. CarefulNow! - Ioniq BEV - Polar White 172D
    16. Moreilly - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 172KE
    17. Neleven - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 172 WW
    18. DglFlyer -Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 171 CE
    19. jeremy_g - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171WW
    20. miamee - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 172D
    21. Cocolola - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 172G
    22. RonanFarrell - Ioniq BEV - Polar White 172G

This is some of the journeys we did when we first picked up the car.

We picked it up on a Friday evening with the intention of topping up to fuly charged at Blanchardstown and heading to Valentia Island, Kerry. Unfortunately, we got off to a late start, left with about 70% charge and we both forgot that it was EP weekend so the traffic was worse than normal. We needed to stop at Roscrea to charge, had a bite to eat in McDonalds (feck all else there) and hit the road for Limerick. We knew we needed to charge at Limerick FCP which we did, however it was 10pm and with another 2.5 hour journey ahead of us, we called it a night and hit the road in the morning.

Limerick to Tralee slow charge 1.5hours

Tralee to Cahirciveen and plugged it in to the slow for 30 mins, it;s the last chance saloon before heading on to Knightstown on Valentia. Next day we drove to Portmagee to Ballinskelligs to Tralee and plugged in for a slow charge.
    This got us to Limerick, another fast charge needed to get us to Oranmore, Galway.
    Next day Oranmore to Galway city (stuck it on slow in a car park there for about 1.5 - 2 hours while we wandered about in the city and had some lunch, it wasn't chahrged to 100% when we got back but close to it as far as I remember. That enabled us to take a spin out to Lettermore in Connemara (we'd never dream of being so far from a charger in the Leaf :D)

Next day we charged in Galway (caarnmore Cross where I thought we talked to Elm237 but we didn't :D) and drove to Knock (it was on the way!) and onwards to Ballymote, Co. Sligo. It was pretty dry at that stage so we stuck it on the granny lead at the house.

After that we've managed Ballymote to Marble Arch Caves in Florencecourt in Fermanagh (they have a slow charger in the car park - score! We would have done without it but it's nice to have the option or the fall back)

Also Ballymote to Céide Fields in Mayo - car fully charged when we headed off, Ballymote > Killala > Céide Fields > Ballina where we found the unmapped charger in Dunnes Stores car park thanks to the lovely cafe owner we spoke to in Killala, plugged in while we met a friend for dinner and were fully charged for the spin back to Ballymote. We could have done it without the Ballina charge with a bit to spare - the mapped one in Ballina was out of order at the time and the only one on the route so we had it carefully measured - but when doing long journeys, we always take the option of the charge when you're parking up.

Sorry that's not a very technical report which is probably what you were looking for, OH would know more about that side of things than me.

Tl:dr: the car is great, can get to all sorts of places that would be unthinkable with the shorter range Leaf we have and it has opened up a lot of possibilities for us as regards travelling comfortably for weekends away, day trips etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

Hi Gents,

so I have used the regular ESB charger for the first time on Saturday. I was under the impression that this is rated at 22kW, so would charge Ioniq in 1.5 hours. However when I plugged it in (with almost empty battery), it showed the charging time of almost 4 hours, so this would mean the rate of only approx 7kW?

Anybody can explain this a bit?

Thanks,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Hi Gents,

so I have used the regular ESB charger for the first time on Saturday. I was under the impression that this is rated at 22kW, so would charge Ioniq in 1.5 hours. However when I plugged it in (with almost empty battery), it showed the charging time of almost 4 hours, so this would mean the rate of only approx 7kW?

Thanks,

Ioniq's onboard AC charger is ~7kw. The "standard" charging posts rely on electronics built into the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

Hi Gents,

Thanks,

On Board Charger – 6.6 kW

therefore the max that can take is 6.6 kW single phase, 22kW is 3 phases... ;)

jeremy_g wrote: »
    On Board Charger – 6.6 kW

therefore the max that can take is 6.6 kW single phase, 22kW is 3 phases... ;)

Afraid it's 7.2kW... both the i3 (2013-2016) and Ioniq pull more amps than the 6.6kW Leaf from single phase. The later i3 draws 3.6kW on single phase and 11kW on three-phase (3 x 16A).

• Advertisement

1. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WH
    2. liamog - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    3. zale - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 171WH
    4. unkel - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    5. Mope - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    6. thelikelylad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171C
    7. woppers - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WX
    8. don't be at yourself - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171D
    9. Ballylad - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171CW
    10. Coconut Joe - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172D
    11. Macker - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 172??
    12. Fermi - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172MO
    13. Johnnyjohnjohns - Ioniq BEV - Aurora Silver - 172D
    14. this.lad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172
    15. CarefulNow! - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172D
    16. Moreilly - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172KE
    17. Neleven - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172 WW
    18. DglFlyer -Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171 CE
    19. jeremy_g - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171WW
    20. miamee - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 172D
    21. Cocolola - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172G
    22. RonanFarrell - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172G
    23. rgunning - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171D

cros13 wrote: »
    Afraid it's 7.2kW... both the i3 (2013-2016) and Ioniq pull more amps than the 6.6kW Leaf from single phase. The later i3 draws 3.6kW on single phase and 11kW on three-phase (3 x 16A).
    That's a bit of a pain if you have a 7kW type 2 home charge unit :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

That's a bit of a pain if you have a 7kW type 2 home charge unit :eek:

No? The charge unit at home only tells the car's onboard charger what it's allowed to draw. Its the charger that will dictate what rate it actually charges at not the chargepoint (assuming the chargepoint isn't the limiting factor).

Obviously it's a bit of a pain if you need the higher charge rate....

bp_me wrote: »
    No? The charge unit at home only tells the car's onboard charger what it's allowed to draw. Its the charger that will dictate what rate it actually charges at not the chargepoint (assuming the chargepoint isn't the limiting factor).

Obviously it's a bit of a pain if you need the higher charge rate....
    It's a pain because, since most charging is done at home. If you compare to the older i3 which was 7kW capable on single phase, its a retrograde step.

I mean that you have a car that can take 11kW from a 3 phase, yet can only charge at 16a on a 32a single phase.
    You are elongating your home charge from 4 hours on the older model to over 8 hours on the new version

Exactly. What's the point of charging on a public charger at 11kW while the 50kW charger is right beside it? A right pain if that means your home charging is only running at half speeds...

• Advertisement

Exactly. What's the point of charging on a public charger at 11kW while the 50kW charger is right beside it? A right pain if that means your home charging is only running at half speeds...

If there's a queue of 2 or more DC cars ahead and you have no range.
    Or if you are parked for 3 hours anyway, you come back to a full car and don't have to stop on the way home.

You Ioniq drivers, ye aren't familiar with the joys of first gen, 90-100km range ev driving! :D:D:D

Feature I managed to not notice for 9 months.

The car has heated mirrors, they are activated by turning on the rear window heater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

I heard a whisper today (supposedly from Hyundai Ireland) that no more Ioniqs will be sold in Ireland. No more RHD models will be made.

Can someone debunk the above for me please? :o

The order system was to be populated on 22/9, it wasn't. Prices for 2018 Ioniqs were to be released, they weren't. WTF is going on at Hyundai?

liamog wrote: »
    Feature I managed to not notice for 9 months.

The car has heated mirrors, they are activated by turning on the rear window heater.

Yeah noticed this myself on the first cold morning we had a few weeks ago. Was initially very disappointed this wasn't working, as it is a very cheap and simple low tech solution, with a lot of safety implications. I've had many BMWs over the years and they've all had this as standard for decades

Until I manually turned on the rear window heater and found the mirrors dimisted very quickly after. Happy days!

Falcon L wrote: »
    I heard a whisper today (supposedly from Hyundai Ireland) that no more Ioniqs will be sold in Ireland. No more RHD models will be made.

Can someone debunk the above for me please? :o

I doubt no more RHD Ioniqs will be made, ever, but it wouldn't surprise me if there won't be any for quite some time to come. Who knows, even a year. Several dealers in the UK have stopped taking orders (after the waiting times turned into 6,7,8+ months) and they are the only other RHD market

Hyundai would sell hundreds of thousands of Ioniq EVs, maybe even a million, if they could produce them. Car is getting a good rep over in the USA and it's currently only for sale in a few dealers in California only. More money to be made from selling an Ioniq EV in the USA than selling it in a RHD market, and where production is short...

There's a great market for good affordable EVs. Good to see.

I doubt no more RHD Ioniqs will be made, ever, but it wouldn't surprise me if there won't be any for quite some time to come. Who knows, even a year. Several dealers in the UK have stopped taking orders (after the waiting times turned into 6,7,8+ months) and they are the only other RHD market

Hyundai would sell hundreds of thousands of Ioniq EVs, maybe even a million, if they could produce them. Car is getting a good rep over in the USA and it's currently only for sale in a few dealers in California only. More money to be made from selling an Ioniq EV in the USA than selling it in a RHD market, and where production is short...

There is also New Zealand. They originally were getting the Irish spec, but now have an Ioniq EV Entry and Ioniq EV Elite.

I can't see them removing the car from the Irish market it's been selling very well as a percentage of the EV market here.

It's quite simple. Production is limited and why would you build a RHD car when a LHD car is cheaper to make and easier to sell (in USA)?

It's quite simple. Production is limited and why would you build a RHD car when a LHD car is cheaper to make and easier to sell (in USA)?

That would only make sense if they were cutting all the RHD cars. They've introduced new specs in NZ so I don't believe the premise
    I understand Hyundai is hoping for greater supplies of its electric IONIQ to meet demand for the 181 market.
    A senior executive told me recently the company could have sold another 200-250 this year and that selling stick levels haven't been available since spring. Given the size of the new EV market, that is a big number.

Last week they were telling motoring journos that they expect more stock for 181 and could of doubled sales here for this year.

Hyundai will be getting an unexpected boost of battery manufacturing capacity, thanks in part to north korea's sabre rattling:
    http://english.etnews.com/20170922200001

But not for several months at least.

Don't know what's going on with the 2018 Ioniq. I'll see if I can find out tomorrow.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement