Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

A colder battery will likely not charge as fast and possibly what you are seeing here ?

A 30 Kwh leaf will not charge more than 30-35 Kw after 50-55% charge anyway meaning a Leaf is not so fast on DC especially cold , with 3-4 temp bars can add 10-20 mins on a charge in the Leaf.

This is evident with the Leaf also when you are braking when the battery is 4 temp bars and less you might see it not giving more than 22-28 Kw ish back to the battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    32kW is brutal. There was a 151 Leaf charging at 34kW yesterday in Lucan. Is that really all they can do? I usually get around 50kW out of the efacec chargers (up to close enough to 90%). Card reader was out again in Lucan BTW, had to remote start.

In a 24kWh leaf the tapering begins at 50% SOC.
    I've seen 52kW being delivered (at the charger, according to leafspy it was 48kW) as a max, but above 50-60% SOC you'd not be pulling over 30kW, and over 70 it drops again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The car had one solid blue light and one flickering, so it could indeed have been over 50% full when I looked. Still tapering starting at 50%, WTF? I thought they didn't slow down until about 80%.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Battery was at 15C, I've seen it pull 49kW at colder temperatures on the Efacecs.

Main reason for the test was some UK Ioniq users reporting they only get 33/34kW at the Ecotricity chargers which are the same model.
    I'm only looking at the energy going in (Torque) I don't bother with the charger meter. I don't trust them after the Portloaise debacle.

The car had one solid blue light and one flickering, so it could indeed have been over 50% full when I looked. Still tapering starting at 50%, WTF? I thought they didn't slow down until about 80%.

The leaf gen 1 tapering is similar curve (at much less speed) to the early teslas. Rapid charging only to 40 then serious tapering at 50 and "seriouser" at 70.

The Ioniq charges at nearly 50 to 84% and then 22KW to 94 when it auto disconnects. I was talking to an owner at the Tesco charger a while back. Since then I'm firmly of the opinion that the Ioniq is the best non tesla EV on the market.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's even better than that.

It will do the following
    70kW to 78% (75% SOC)
    22kW to 90% (86% SOC)
    11kW to 94% (90% SOC)

We're limited in the first stage because our fastest chargers only provide up to 125A, the 100kW charger in Norway gives the Ioniq up to 175A.
    Hyundai have provided a very aggressive charging profile using LG's cells.

liamog wrote: »

It will do the following
    70kW to 78% (75% SOC)
    22kW to 90% (86% SOC)
    11kW to 94% (90% SOC)

That translates to (on a 70kW capable charger):

10-78% in 16 minutes (nice!)
    to 90% in another 9 minutes
    to 94% in another 6 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

It will do the following
    70kW to 78% (75% SOC)
    22kW to 90% (86% SOC)
    11kW to 94% (90% SOC)

We're limited in the first stage because our fastest chargers only provide up to 125A, the 100kW charger in Norway gives the Ioniq up to 175A.
    Hyundai have provided a very aggressive charging profile using LG's cells.

is that 70 kW limit hardware or software? I mean in the future when 100 kW and 160kW charger will be available will we be able to just upgrade the software and take advantage or we will need to change the car? :)

jeremy_g wrote: »
    is that 70 kW limit hardware or software? I mean in the future when 100 kW and 160kW charger will be available will we be able to just upgrade the software and take advantage or we will need to change the car? :)

The 70kW was seen on a 100kW charger, the car is definitely capable of charging at 175A, some specs have said it can go as high as 98kW though this has never been seen in the wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

How does it work with the scrappage, can you buy a banger for 200 quid and bring it into them or do you need to have owned it for a certain amount of time? I know they usually require NCT.

I can give you contact for a dealer that is "flexible" if you like. they even sold me old car, transferred it to my name and I did not even see it - and boom 4k scrappage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Fermi wrote: »
    I can give you contact for a dealer that is "flexible" if you like. they even sold me old car, transferred it to my name and I did not even see it - and boom 4k scrappage.
    I would like that contact, thanks. ;) PM if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ballylad

zale wrote: »
    Ballylad wrote: »
    Anyone got any idea what 15000kms Ioniq service /check should cost?

My local dealer said €50 when I bought my ioniq last January. It's due service shortly so we'll see if it stays at €50.
    Thnks turned out it was free

Sweet! Makes a nice difference from Nissan, who swap over the wheels and charge you €129 :rolleyes:

Which dealer? And what did they do? I presume they upgraded the software + maps. If they did, would you mind taking a pic of the version you got and post it here?

Sweet! Makes a nice difference from Nissan, who swap over the wheels and charge you €129 :rolleyes:

Which dealer? And what did they do? I presume they upgraded the software + maps. If they did, would you mind taking a pic of the version you got and post it here?

Just a complete vehicle check, he said software was up to date, which version of software have you got?. Pollen filter will be replaced at 30k as a minimum

Still the original I got in early April. I posted a pic of it here a few threads back :D

Pretty sure the UK lads said there was a newer version out recently. Also did the dealer do the recent recall that was issued last month? (also mentioned in this thread)

Still the original I got in early April. I posted a pic of it here a few threads back :D

Pretty sure the UK lads said there was a newer version out recently. Also did the dealer do the recent recall that was issued last month? (also mentioned in this thread)

He plugged it in any there was no update /recall required, surprised myself as a couple of glitches evident to date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Ballylad wrote: »
    He plugged it in any there was no update /recall required, surprised myself as a couple of glitches evident to date

There's a post on the Irish EV Owners fb page from a guy who got a (beta) firmware update and it resolved some glitches that he had. He had some issues with the car and his home CP and 12v battery going flat amongst a few other things iirc. I suspect the update may still be in beta.

Link

He's on the following versions now:

Software: AE_EV.EUR.SOP.005.3.170927
    Firmware: AE_EV.EUR.0.5.222.170920.MICOM
    NAV APP: STD_AVN_MID.EUR.HMC.170927.a803344
    MAP: EUR.09.47.50.582.002.2(D.C1/E.C1)

I'm due a service now too so I'll see if I get any updates. No doubt my local dealer will be charging me for the service :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ainsyjnr

This is probably established knowledge for the Ioniq, but I'm a leaf driver so have not really followed the range discussion on it...

Will it do a daily commute of 180-190km all year, 100kms @ 100kmh, 90@80kmh?

As the 2018 leaf is not such a leap ahead a second hand ioniq from the uk may plug the gap for a few years. Driving my diesel is killing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

I'd say without an issue!
    I have car since April. My range has never been less than 220km (even now) and I am no means efficient driver. My average for 8000+ KM is 12.5kWh/100 (I had not reset trip distance for months...) 16k+ KM on clock already.

ainsyjnr wrote: »

Should be no problem. Ioniq is very efficient at low speeds like those.

People with very long commutes like yours, save themselves a lot of money with an EV compared to even the most frugal of diesels.

• Advertisement

btw, dropped my IONIQ for 15k service today (... a bit over 15k driven)... Will see the report.
    Forgot to ask to update to new firmware, maps... but asked to replace (for free) wipers as they are very bad... and have a look why when wet drivers door makes squinting noise. Like rubber dragging on something.
    Report on battery status is also probably not something they'd do.

I think you'd be mad not to go for the 40 kwh Leaf, a lot more power and potential for a decent bit more range. A lot of kit and the pro pilot should be better than Hyundai's equivalent, at least wait until it's released then decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

Mope wrote: »
    I'd say without an issue!
    I have car since April. My range has never been less than 220km (even now) and I am no means efficient driver. My average for 8000+ KM is 12.5kWh/100 (I had not reset trip distance for months...) 16k+ KM on clock already.

Those are great numbers. I know have a range of 183-186 km after driving last month or so on the new M17 motorway (I usually do 120-125kmh). But it has advantage - when I drive on local roads at 100kmh, my range does not drop as you would expect... :) And my overall avg is 14.2kWh/100km since I bought it - 13k on the clock already

Service Centre rang to check if I want to replace polin filter for 31 Eur - I said go ahead.
    They did not find anything wrong with my wipers... shocker... whatever, its not deal breaker, just really poor wiping for new wipers.
    I have asked about battery report and also to check if there is any updates for Maps and/or Firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

ainsyjnr wrote: »
    This is probably established knowledge for the Ioniq, but I'm a leaf driver so have not really followed the range discussion on it...

As the 2018 leaf is not such a leap ahead a second hand ioniq from the uk may plug the gap for a few years. Driving my diesel is killing me!

New Leaf for definite unles you save yourself a good few Gs if getting the iOniq.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

How many people have had the first 15,000 km serivce done? How much did it cost and was anybody stung for extras?

Mine is in today for VHC and they want to do the service.

Mine is being done as we speak. Not sure of price yet, will post results here. Definitely will cost 31 EUR for cabin filter.
    If you'd opt in for Service pack - all servicing would be free, but I did not :-)

Sorry for double post. Picked up my car.
    They couldn't get cabin filter quick enough to replace it so I was advised to ring in few weeks and get it done together with software updates - if they are available. At the moment there are no updates.
    15k service didn't cost anything otherwise.
    I also nicely asked to get my wipers replaced free of charge which they did as once which came with car were terrible. Kudos for that.

Sorry for double post. Picked up my car.
    They couldn't get cabin filter quick enough to replace it so I was advised to ring in few weeks and get it done together with software updates - if they are available. At the moment there are no updates.
    15k service didn't cost anything otherwise.
    I also nicely asked to get my wipers replaced free of charge which they did as once which came with car were terrible. Kudos for that.

Hmmm. Didn't cost anything? 139 yoyos for my service. Interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

rgunning wrote: »
    How many people have had the first 15,000 km serivce done? How much did it cost and was anybody stung for extras?

Mine is in today for VHC and they want to do the service.

I didn’t get it done, but have my first service booked for end of November. 34k done at this stage so be interested to see what it will cost.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Evnoob

Falcon L wrote: »
    Fermi wrote: »
    I would like that contact, thanks. ;) PM if you wish.

Me too please???

My 15k didn't cost anything either, no updates either, showed them video of squeaking door since new but will only squeak when wet, no fix yet, also notice if you leave car on when inside and charging, it gets confused and charge cable will no release and cannot turn off car, need to pull emergency release for charger in boot.
    Was thinking of new leaf as second ev, wasn't impressed with it, looks like good upgrade but not much better than ioniq in terms of efficiency, I'm sure 2019 will give more interesting new evs, I would also be interested in that garage that can facilitate a scrappage car as think il stick with another Ioniq

Leaf might not match Ioniq for efficiency but it might not be that far off and with 40 kwh has potential for a good bit more range. + it's larger than the outgoing Leaf and Ioniq and a good bit more power.

Free service is a nice gesture from the dealers :)

Don't get your cabin filter replaced lads, that's nonsense after just a few months. In our climate they last 2-3 years.

So some people are getting a free service - if so, can you name the dealer? I got charged, and my dealer was Mooney's. I argued about the price, but was told that some dealers were charging > €200 for first service. I didn't really believe this, and thought I was being ridden a little b the €139 asking price. I wasn't expecting to hear that others were getting it for free. :mad:

• Advertisement

€139? For what?

That sounds like what Nissan are charging. For changing your wheels around :rolleyes:

Just to be clear, mine was 15k service, not 30k. Yes, was free and they suggested to have cabin filter replaced for 31+ Eur. Was not done as part didn't arrive to centre quick enough. New wipers are PERFECT now. I bought my car from Fairview Hyundai.
    No word about new software as they didn't have it. Also checked for recall and mine didn't hit it.
    @unkel: You skipped your 15k service?
    One funny thing is, they did not mention anything about any squeaking noise from suspension on the phone, but when car was picked up they forgot to remove temp badge on key fob and mechanic had written on it "squeaking noise from rear susp". Now I wonder is this what they took down after me saying about squeaking drivers door? :D same as Ballylad

€139? For what?

That sounds like what Nissan are charging. For changing your wheels around :rolleyes:

Yes. I feel rather foolish now. I will email the salesman I bought it off. I think it is a bit shabby that some dealers are charging for this service when others aren't. Especially given that I lined up a sale for them by referring a friend (after letting him test drive my car).

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

my 2 cents-- as far as I know first year or 15K is a VHC (vehicle health check) and then next year or at 30K is the actual service... in the manual I found that you have alternating VHC and Service every 15k. now VHC is supposed to be free as the car is in warranty

Does anyone know, if an Ioniq is brought over from the UK, can the info on the display can be changed from miles to kms?

I'm sick of trying to get one here. :(

• Advertisement

It is so odd, the guy on Facebook ordered one and got it like in less than month or around and you can't find one? Maybe he was lucky or maybe there is back story to it.
    On the other hand, my neighbour actually asked me to show the car and that I'd drive her around to feel it - as she cannot get anywhere to test drive it. I gave her some time behind the wheel as well so she was very happy about it. Liked the car a lot, potentially one more EV on the road in near future :)

There's plenty for sale on donedeal but they all seem to be ex demo models.
    I wouldn't say you can't get one here at all.

But if you wanted to order one, they are not making RHD ones at the moment according to a contact in Hyundai Ireland.

There seem to be a good few new ones knocking around in the UK. Any ex demo or used here are trying to gouge on the price, asking above list.

Confirmed by Hyundai Wexford they are getting a new demo for 181. I guess we can finally shut down the rumours about the lack of RHD production.

More likely it was Hyundai Ireland not wanting to take orders on a nine month waiting list.

Confirmed by Hyundai Wexford they are getting a new demo for 181. I guess we can finally shut down the rumours about the lack of RHD production.

More likely it was Hyundai Ireland not wanting to take orders on a nine month waiting list.
    The white one? Yeah, that's coming over from old UK stock.

That is good news. I really think IONIQ is a very good of an EV car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

That is good news. I really think IONIQ is a very good of an EV car!

Would be a mini Tesla with a bit bigger battery and more powerful motor

Nothing massive either, 40kWh battery and 160bhp drive train and it's the best EV out imo, such is its efficiency and Hyundai warranty

Hyundai will be an EV leader imo

You should see myself and my wife sitting back in our IONIQ after test driving Model X. We were so happy having the car.
    Model X did not meat most of expectations and some things just shocked me. Would never buy that car for the money asked! NOT worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

You should see myself and my wife sitting back in our IONIQ after test driving Model X. We were so happy having the car.
    Model X did not meat most of expectations and some things just shocked me. Would never buy that car for the money asked! NOT worth it.

I believe you

Saw the Model X too

I sat in the Model S in Sandyford

Nice car and all, but it's not Merc, Audi, Lexus etc quality build

You buy a Tesla for the supercar acceleration and range

Merc, Audi, Lexus will also provide that when they are forced to and will be much better quality

Tesla are american, thats all we need to know :)

I hope the Ioniq gets a bigger battery and drivetrain

Be a shame if they drop it for other EV projects

A modest 40kwh battery would get 300km easy in one

I just honestly think someone is persuing a disinformation campaign and blaming it on a source in Hyundai Ireland. Shuttering RHD production has a much bigger impact than Ireland, but the only source is a random Irish Hyundai person.

It's probably been repeated on this thread as many times as Mad_Lads 15.6 kW/100km that one time he did a test drive.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement