Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

liamog wrote: »
    I just honestly think someone is persuing a disinformation campaign and blaming it on a source in Hyundai Ireland. Shuttering RHD production has a much bigger impact than Ireland, but the only source is a random Irish Hyundai person.

It's probably been repeated on this thread as many times as Mad_Lads 15.6 kW/100km that one time he did a test drive.
    Seriously? What would I have to gain from a disinformation campaign? I said before that I would love to be wrong. I offered my local dealer a deposit and he wouldn't accept it.

You're right about one thing though. It affects more than Ireland. UK dealers are reluctant to take orders at the moment, and are suggesting 8-9 months for delivery.

Was I right about the colour of the one in Wexford?:D Probably just a lucky guess though, right?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I honestly have no idea, I'm not suggesting your the source of the bad information, but somebody could be feeding you.

Stopping RHD production is different to not taking orders because there is a 9 month waiting list.

Most of the demo cars are white so it's not really much of a guess.
    People have received new Ioniqs this month. That's two months since the supposed stopping of production was first mentioned here. Still no mention of stoppage in New Zealand or the UK which I find highly suspicious.

I honestly have no idea, I'm not suggesting your the source of the bad information, but somebody could be feeding you.

Stopping RHD production is different to not taking orders because there is a 9 month waiting list.

Most of the demo cars are white so it's not really much of a guess.
    People have received new Ioniqs this month. That's two months since the supposed stopping of production was first mentioned here. Still no mention of stoppage in New Zealand or the UK which I find highly suspicious.

Funny, the current demo in Wexford is blue, the previous one was black.

Look, I'm not a North Korean spy trying to scupper the imperialist Hyundai machine, honest. I'm simply passing on stuff I hear in the industry. It's all rumours, of course it is. But it is a fact that there is a marked shortage of new RHD cars. But, don't believe me. Go in and try to order one. I did and they wouldn't take the order.

I never said that RHD production was ceased for ever. But there is a drought both here and the UK. I haven't looked at other RHD markets. Filling LHD orders seems to be a priority in SK.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Falcon L wrote: »

Look, I'm not a North Korean spy trying to scupper the imperialist Hyundai machine, honest. I'm simply passing on stuff I hear in the industry. It's all rumours, of course it is. But it is a fact that there is a marked shortage of new RHD cars. But, don't believe me. Go in and try to order one. I did and they wouldn't take the order.

I never said that RHD production was ceased for ever. But there is a drought both here and the UK. I haven't looked at other RHD markets. Filling LHD orders seems to be a priority in SK.

There is a shortage of Ioniqs worldwide. There are waiting lists and/or extended waits in every market. They were caught on the hoof by the demand for this car. They planned to produce 1000 Ioniq EVs a month they've upped that to 1800 a month for the next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Will they order a LHD for you?

There is a shortage of Ioniqs worldwide. There are waiting lists and/or extended waits in every market. They were caught on the hoof by the demand for this car. They planned to produce 1000 Ioniq EVs a month they've upped that to 1800 a month for the next year.
    Well lets just hope that some of that increased production is for RHD. I want one!!

Will they order a LHD for you?
    Wut? I dunno. Why would I want a LHD?

Would an Irish dealer normally supply LHD?

Wut? I dunno. Why would I want a LHD?

Would an Irish dealer normally supply LHD?

To drive around in.

Few years ago I saw a brand new Hyundai Veloster LHD plastered in dealer signage

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

I had a thought this morning. More technical minded people will defo answer this. Is there a reason Android Auto only works via cable? I assume it's not working via BT because of the bandwidth, but why not use built in WiFi in car? Most phones can have that part enabled and connected?
    I like AA, but gosh, a hassle of connecting phone each time... :D I know... first world problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

To drive around in.

Few years ago I saw a brand new Hyundai Veloster LHD plastered in dealer signage

Just a demo model I'd say before right hand drive models were available. Skoda had a couple of LHD Kodiaq's touring the dealers a few months before the RHD was available.

Mope wrote: »
    I had a thought this morning. More technical minded people will defo answer this. Is there a reason Android Auto only works via cable? I assume it's not working via BT because of the bandwidth, but why not use built in WiFi in car? Most phones can have that part enabled and connected?
    I like AA, but gosh, a hassle of connecting phone each time... :D I know... first world problem

Apparently Android Auto supports it but no manufacturers head units do.

No word on www about finding a workaround about it (I am not a member of any other forums/blogs)? Would really make life so much easier!

No word on www about finding a workaround about it (I am not a member of any other forums/blogs)? Would really make life so much easier!

According to Google if the car supports AA and wireless it should be possible to do it via a software update. I can't see any manufacturer providing it on older cars though.

Should all owners of IONIQs on here send an email to Hyundai Europe (or Global) to ask for that update? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Doesn't the cable solve another first world problem - charging your phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Doesn't the cable solve another first world problem - charging your phone?

That problem is already solved. Ioniq comes as standard with wireless phone charging :)

Nearly all my phones have had wireless charging for the last 6 years. Best thing ever. Maybe even iPhones will have it some day, or did the latest version get it? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

unkel wrote: »
    That problem is already solved. Ioniq comes as standard with wireless phone charging :)

Nearly all my phones have had wireless charging for the last 6 years. Best thing ever. Maybe even iPhones will have it some day, or did the latest version get it? :p

well, iPhone 8 already has it :)

Wow, just 6 years behind the rest of the phones. Even for Apple, that must be a new record :p

And some people are surprised Apple isn't even in the top 100 of companies in what they spend on R&D as a percentage of their earnings :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

They've stopped being innovators with Steve's death :) Oh, wait, that was 6 years ago :D

Got the Ioniq nose wrapped today. I'm very happy.

3H6J265.jpg?1

• Advertisement

3H6Jpg?1

Definitely looks better. The ould metalicy-plastic grey makes it look very fisher price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

3H6J265.jpg?1

Looks the biz!!!
    Well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Why the Ioniq designers couldn't have done that day one is a mystery to me!

How much is the wrap?
    Is that hard wearing for washing, stone chips etc?

Looks much better !

So much better :cool:

Was it really your wife who convinced you to do it? ;) Did you go to Mantis too?

KCross wrote: »
    How much is the wrap?

I paid €90 - done by a professional who does wrapping for a living. Lots of commercial stuff. He just handed over a 10 year old TT to its owner with a full wrap when I drove up first. It looked like a new car
    KCross wrote: »
    Is that hard wearing for washing, stone chips etc?

Yes it is. I should have done mine straight when the car was new. If I was 25 years younger I would have the roof wrapped gloss black too on my Platinum Silver car :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭Sherfin

Messed up the number plate though :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

How much does it cost to wrap a full car?

Cause I'm thinking instead of busting my bollox, and paying through the nose, for a dark grey 30kWh Tekna with 6.6kW charger, buy a cheaper white one and wrap it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

I've called 2 Hyundai dealers in Dublin and they have no Ioniqs of any type? Is there supply issues?

I'm interested in the pure EV variant, but the dealers had no idea when they would be getting a tester!!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ipnface

jusmeig wrote: »
    I've called 2 Hyundai dealers in Dublin and they have no Ioniqs of any type? Is there supply issues?

I'm interested in the pure EV variant, but the dealers had no idea when they would be getting a tester!!

Mooney's on Deansgrange have one I think.

• Advertisement

I got this from Carwow in the UK.

XL8n9Nz.png
    XL8n9Nz

unkel did you wrap yours too?

Oh yes, had mine done I think it was in July. Massive improvement in the looks. Also glossy black. I put pictures up a few pages back. Ha here it is :)

433239.jpg

I met liamog at the fast charger in B'town (only time I charged there) and he told me his missus liked the wrap :)

Soarer wrote: »
    How much does it cost to wrap a full car?

About €1000 - €1500. Probably at the higher end for a Leaf. That's from a competent professional wrapper. I guess there are people out there who do it for less, you could even attempt it yourself if you're a bit handy and patient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

unkel wrote: »
    About €1000 - €1500. Probably at the higher end for a Leaf. That's from a competent professional wrapper. I guess there are people out there who do it for less, you could even attempt it yourself if you're a bit handy and patient.

I'm out.

unkel is there a reason you did not wrap in matching silver to have uniform look? Black looks better than it was anyway, but just an opinion?
    today's trip home will be interesting :) Left home to work with 96km range... while window was defrosting got to 93-94km. Came to work and now have 46 km left and my trip back is roughly 40 :) I do trust GOM, but will still feel range anxiety for sure :). Good thing is that few KM from home I have FCP and if I'm short can give small boost.

Don't look at the km left. It's reasonably reliable, but it gets pessimistic when you get low. The battery percentage is then more reliable.

Got the glossy black done because I like the looks of the car with the Black Pack (an option in some countries and the car comes as standard in the USA with it). So it's not like Hyundai don't know the standard plastic is bad, they just don't offer the option here!

Experience from a long trip.
    It was my sisters 30 birthday in Sheffield, so we drove from Ongar to Sheffield with an Irish Ferry.

We sailed out on Saturday morning with a full charge. From Holyhead we drove up the A55 and stopped off at the Euro Garages service station. There were two Ecotricity DBT chargers. We spent 36 mins adding 20.4kWh. We stopped the charge when the charge rate started to tail off. We were pulling 34kW from the charger, a far cry from the 50kW we get from the Irish Efacec's.
    It makes a difference, an Irish charger would of only taken 24 mins. Cost was £6.47

Ug0GzNs.jpg?1

Next up was a run over to a charger in Wilmslow.
    The charge wasn't strictly necessary, but knowing that the Pennines are very hilly and that we'd be relying on the granny charger in Sheffield, I figured it made sense to do a full charge.

The charger was in a Sainsbury's car park and was extremely well signposted. It was an ABB 50kW charger and charged the car at speeds I'm used too.
    Can anyone else tell that there is a lot of money in Cheshire?

POg6lN4.jpg?1

We drove across the Snake Pass, a great road if you enjoy driving, hills, valleys and many turns. The road surface was good quality due to how many times it gets damaged due to landslides.

Spent the evening in Sheffield at the party. We received a text that our 17:15 Swift sailing was cancelled. So we'd need to get the 14:10 Ulysses instead. That meant setting off at 09:00. We'd granny charged to 100%. I decided to be brave and do the trip in a single charge. I drive in sport's mode with the aircon on and drive pretty aggressively, pretty much everything you should avoid when trying to push the range :)

We drove 165km to another charge point in North Wales, no pictures this time. It was a single Ecotricity DBT Charger as Singing Kettle services. We suffered for 46 mins of charging at the annoying slow speed and took on board 25.9 kWh for £7.40 with a reported 84% on the car.

We then had a mad dash across the rest of Wales to make it to the boat on time. We only just made it and they closed the gates behind us. 102km of pushing the speeds in hilly terrain. We were too late to get access to the on-board chargers on the ferry.

Arrived in Dublin and drove home via the Port Tunnel. Got home with 10km left on the range. We'd successfully managed to drive 291km through hilly terrain with only one very slow rapid charge along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I know who you are now from FB :D

I was at the same charger in Wilmslow that day also and posted up a pic. My brother in law bought a 22kWh Zoe and brought it back from Durham. It was a loooong trip but have to say their charging infrastrucure is a pleasure due to paying there's no queues of locals!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

stesaurus wrote: »
    I know who you are now from FB :D

I was at the same charger in Wilmslow that day also and posted up a pic. My brother in law bought a 22kWh Zoe and brought it back from Durham. It was a loooong trip but have to say their charging infrastrucure is a pleasure due to paying there's no queues of locals!

I'm blue in the face pushing this message here. As soon as there is reasonable charges brought in, the abuse of FCP by locals will stop.

No fee for charging in Wilmslow and no queue of locals.
    It's amazing how proper parking regulation has had the same effect as imposing fees on people.

That and the having multiple chargers at a site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I think they just have a different mindset there due to the paying for charging. There is still a place for free charging being provided by Supermarkets and the likes but I'm all for payments on the main public network. You can be pretty certain of being able to find a charger working and available unlike in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'd pay to use the electric highway chargers in Ireland rather than rely on the ecars network. As above you know in realtime when they are available and the expected "etiquette" is removed because the pricing structure and charger itself disconnects at 45 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I see a guy in the UK who is handing back his new Ioniq after a week (:eek::eek:) because the seat is giving him bad back and neck pain. He is 6'3".

Said he had no issues with the Leaf Tekna leather seats or the Soul.

Is the Ioniq seat really that bad for tall people?

https://speakev.com/threads/the-drivers-seat-and-me-we-dont-get-on-any-other-tall-drivers-here.83521/#post-1499017

Dunno, I'm a bit under 6'2 and the seat feels fine to me. It's a basic seat though, not an awful lot to adjust. And that said, I've no back trouble and I have no problems sitting in basic seats for hours on end in even the cheapest of cars :)

• Advertisement

I am similar to unkel. 187cm. No issues what so ever with the seat. I actually quite like it... like most things about the car :-)
    Fussy user I'd say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Got a call from a dealer today... He can have a new ioniq for me in January....
    I travel 140 commute daily, motorway.
    I travel 220 each way to Dublin airport regularly.
    I travel 210 to patent house a couple of times a month.
    I much prefer powered leather seats and good stereos....

I know there will always be something better in 6 months.... So the real question is... Is there ioniq good enough.... Or will I have better remorse with leaf, or 40kwh ioniq, or whatever is next

No leather seats (unless you want the dealer to fit them) and the stereo is mediocre. But on your commute there is no need to charge until you are back home. You can only make the other trips without charging if you keep your speed limited. Or drive faster (120km/h) and stop for 10 minutes at a fast charger

Do your sums, you will save yourself a fortune in fuel. Up to you if Ioniq is good enough. Take it for a 24h test drive to see for yourself. As you say there's always something around the corner. How long do you plan to keep your car and what is your budget? If you plan to keep it for about 2-3 years or so, you could trade it in for a Tesla Model 3 with leather seats, long range etc. if budget allows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I got dealer-fitter leather seats -- not powered through. Priced quoted was around €1K - €1.5K but can be bargained down.

Unkel is correct about the range. Would take a look at the CCS charger network along your longer journeys, as there are still some blackspots.

Also, is power leather seats is a deal breaker, consider importing the Premium SE spec from NI/GB. Should work out roughly the same price, if the dealers can get a hold of 'em!

Trips of 220 km one way are possible, but not at 110-120 speeds. You'd look at 95-100km/h, unless, as above gents said, there is DC charger en  route and you can top it up and of course one at your destination to get you back home.
    Saving on fuel would be paying itself for new car :-]

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement