Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Got a call from a dealer today... He can have a new ioniq for me in January....
    I travel 140 commute daily, motorway.
    I travel 220 each way to Dublin airport regularly.
    I travel 210 to patent house a couple of times a month.
    I much prefer powered leather seats and good stereos....

I know there will always be something better in 6 months.... So the real question is... Is there ioniq good enough.... Or will I have better remorse with leaf, or 40kwh ioniq, or whatever is next

You've went your whole life without an EV, I am sure you can wait one more year and alot of hassle for the 40-60kwh EV's coming in late 2018/early 2019

You won't have the stress of relying on charging network and driving like a granny

Or buy a 2nd hand I3 Rex with generator, charge if you can and don’t have to if you can’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Hi, what type of extras are available on the ioniq? I can see in the UK there are two trim levels. I bought a hyundai i30 a couple years back and though it's grand the lack of options was annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Doc el brown

Manion wrote: »
    Hi, what type of extras are available on the ioniq? I can see in the UK there are two trim levels. I bought a hyundai i30 a couple years back and though it's grand the lack of options was annoying.

So there is a premium and a premium se. I tried to get the se version and was told it wasn't available in Ireland. The differences are heated rear seats, ventilated front seats, electric memory front seat and blindspot detection, oh and leather seats. As far as I can remember they are the differences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,883 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ireland has only the one model (which is the same as the UK premium). There are no optional extras except metallic paint, but the car comes as standard with a high spec.

The only place I could find the full spec was here

https://www.hyundaipressoffice.co.uk/release/783/

Is that accurate for Ireland ?

Yes the Premium model is the spec we get here in Ireland (not the Premium SE)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

Manion wrote: »
    The only place I could find the full spec was here

https://www.hyundaipressoffice.co.uk/release/783/

Is that accurate for Ireland ?
    That says the premium SE has auto lights and wipers over the premium. Do Irish cars not have auto lights and wipers? I thought they did.

You're not reading it right, Ewan. The premium (yes that is the car we get in Ireland) does have auto lights and wipers.

unkel wrote: »
    You're not reading it right, Ewan. The premium (yes that is the car we get in Ireland) does have auto lights and wipers.
    I thought so, but that spec sheet clearly says that the Premium SE (in addition to Premium) has Automatic Windscreen Wipers with Rain Sensor.

Did you look at it Unkel?

• Advertisement

"IONIQ Electric prices start from £28,995 for the Premium specification, mirroring Hybrid Premium, with specific equipment including Automatic Windscreen Wipers with Rain Sensor"

Not sure where you are reading it differently?

And anyway, take my word for it (I own one), the Irish spec Ioniq Electric has auto lights and auto wipers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

"IONIQ Electric prices start from £28,995 for the Premium specification, mirroring Hybrid Premium, with specific equipment including Automatic Windscreen Wipers with Rain Sensor"

Not sure where you are reading it differently?

And anyway, take my word for it (I own one), the Irish spec Ioniq Electric has auto lights and auto wipers...

You are both right!

@unkel, further down the page it shows a table for the EV where the Premium SE is the one with the auto wipers and the premium does not.... but clearly the car at your front door trumps the table on the website!

Never got as far as the table! So the description is right, table is wrong.

Never got as far as the table! So the description is right, table is wrong.
    That was kinda my point. :D

The info on that page can't be taken as gospel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Over the Premium, the SE has:

Leather seats
    Power-adjustable drivers seat
    Front parking sensors
    Blind spot warning sensors
    Heated steering wheel

I did some calculations when I ordered mine back in May. Importing the SE would have worked out maybe €300 more expensive imported into Ireland from the North, over the cost of a Premium + dealer fitted leather seats.

Also obviously the SEAI grant and charger offer wouldn't apply.

In the end, UK was massively inventory constrained at the time so my choice was an easy one!

OK cool. So does you car have integrated sat nav etc? I wonder because the stereo seems grand. I also find it ironic this information has to be obtained from the UK press office. It was the same when I bought the i30.

Integrated satnav and 8" touch screen display are standard on the Ioniq Electric

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

How are your ranges?
    I don’t see any drastic range drops on mine. Charged the other day to 98 % and range was 216.
    I never switch off my heater. Always at 21c auto. 80 km round trip. Came back home yesterday used only 10% of battery:))) was bit of traffic on m50. 10kWh average- nice.

Mope wrote: »
    80 km round trip. Came back home yesterday used only 10% of battery:))) was bit of traffic on m50. 10kWh average- nice.

Ioniq sounds like its similar to the Leaf in that the % figure isn't linear.... because clearly 10% of your battery capacity wouldn't do 80km, otherwise it would be an 800km range car!

• Advertisement

Sorry. Typo. 40km trip 10%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

How are your ranges?
    I don’t see any drastic range drops on mine. Charged the other day to 98 % and range was 216.
    I never switch off my heater. Always at 21c auto. 80 km round trip. Came back home yesterday used only 10% of battery:))) was bit of traffic on m50. 10kWh average- nice.

No drastic changes but I find range is a bit lower alright. Still find it pretty easy to get good "summer"-like range if I need to.

Did 112km at the weekend on 50% juice (~12.5kWh/100km), average speed ~70km/h iirc, 4 adults on board and climate on 21.5c for the whole journey.

One complaint with the colder mornings is I wish it would pre-heat off the main battery if SOC is over 70 or 80% or something. It's a minor annoyance having to plug in the car the night before just for pre-heating, when you don't necessarily need to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

How are your ranges?

My range dropped quite a lot. Usually it is about 180-185km when charged to 100% in the morning. The display shows 14.4kWh/100km - it was never reset since I got the car. But, I do about 160km daily commute, most is at 100km speed, and about 50km is at 125km..

Sorry. Typo. 40km trip 10%

Still not linear!

Can you expand on this linear thing? :] Like, it is not 10% each time you take same journey? Or is it that same 40km of range is not 10% of juice even if you do drive same, temp outside is same and etc?

I am just still very happy with the car! :]]]

Can you expand on this linear thing? :] Like, it is not 10% each time you take same journey? Or is it that same 40km of range is not 10% of juice even if you do drive same, temp outside is same and etc?

I am just still very happy with the car! :]]]

Taking the same journey starting at 100% and, say, 30% won't use the same % of battery (indicated on the dash)

The reality is it used the same energy but the display isn't linear.

If it was linear your 10% for 40km would mean that your car can do 400km!

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    Taking the same journey starting at 100% and, say, 30% won't use the same % of battery (indicated on the dash)

The reality is it used the same energy but the display isn't linear.

If it was linear your 10% for 40km would mean that your car can do 400km!

Unless he averaged 7kWh/100km but I'd be very very surprised if one could achieve that on a typical 40km commute. Unless for some reason the car is counting that as 10% of the total capacity? ~31kWh iirc. Still you would need an efficiency of under 8kWh/100km to get 40km on 10% if my maths are right. That would be a very impressive figure for this time of the year. Best efficiency I ever got was 9.4kWh/100km on a ~70km spin in the summer.

I find that it is linear. I reset the efficiency and trip computer after every 100% charge and find that the distance, efficiency and change in SOC all add up.

Went through the 10k km yesterday :)

Completely hassle free, only annoyance is that the charge timer settings are wiped now and then (known bug which is fixed in the latest software)

I went through 18k few days ago... Car since April 11th or 12th.
    Squeaking driver doors when it's wet is the biggest issue with the car :D (I know, right?)
    Gosh I love ACC in these miserable M50 Traffic situations... best time to catch up on my Youtube subscriptions.

Completely hassle free, only annoyance is that the charge timer settings are wiped now and then (known bug which is fixed in the latest software)

Probably a good time to sell it now

No depreciation :)

This time next year with supply fixed and Model 3's nearly on the road you could be down 7k.

I'm sure you could run an ICE for 7k till then.

Squeaking driver doors when it's wet is the biggest issue with the car :D (I know, right?)
    Gosh I love ACC in these miserable M50 Traffic situations... best time to catch up on my Youtube subscriptions.

Yeh I get that squeak in the door too :(

I've 17k on mine now since March, must book the first 'service' soon. Love the car overall, very well specced although I would have liked an official mobile app and front parking sensors would have been nice to top it off.

Had a few small issues at the start that seem to have gone away:
    - Issues getting connected to certain FCPs (may have been buggy FCPs)
    - Cable not releasing from the car after charge.

Occasionally I get a noise from the rear brakes on a wet morning within the first 100 meters or so of pulling out of the house. Sounds like the handbrake hasn't fully released. Have read reports from a few owners that got this 'fixed' only for the noise to come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

thierry14 wrote: »
    This time next year with supply fixed and Model 3's nearly on the road

if Q1 2019 means nearly for you than yeah :D and that if you already have a reservation in place, otherwise is more like Q2-3 :)

Probably a good time to sell it now

No depreciation :)

This time next year with supply fixed and Model 3's nearly on the road you could be down 7k.

I'm sure you could run an ICE for 7k till then.

I admit the thought has crossed my mind once or twice :D

Buy a bangernomics E60 or E90 BMW petrol for well under 2 grand and wait it out. Damn, it's just over a year since I last owned a BMW...

jeremy_g wrote: »
    if Q1 2019 means nearly for you than yeah :D and that if you already have a reservation in place, otherwise is more like Q2-3 :)

Have deposit down

I think Q4 2018

Alot of people will pussy out

I admit the thought has crossed my mind once or twice :D

Buy a bangernomics E60 or E90 BMW petrol for well under 2 grand and wait it out. Damn, it's just over a year since I last owned a BMW...

I would be taking advantage of the situation if it was me

In a year when 60kWh are out depreciation will be heavy

Your going to sell it anyway when Teslas are bit easier to get hold of

Have deposit down

I think Q4 2018

Alot of people will pussy out

still, Q4 2018 is optimistic when Tesla themselves quote 2019 for the right hand drive: "Deliveries will start in the United States first, with international deliveries starting in left-hand drive markets in late 2018, followed by right-hand drive markets in 2019." :)

I'd say we won't see any Model 3 on Irish plates until 2020, even for people who had the deposit down from day 1...

But yeah, it is unavoidable that current EVs will drop a lot of value once real longer range cars are available for not much more than we are paying / have paid for our econobox Ioniq / Leaf

In the meantime, let us enjoy our cost savings. My 10000km have cost me less than €10 in electricity. Firstly by doing a lot of charging at my local FCP, which I pass several times a day, and lately by mostly using my unlimited free electrictiy at home :D

In my previous car, a banger, the 10000km would have cost me about €2000 in petrol (plus €1700 tax per year). This saving is more than enough to cover the depreciation in my brand new car. Driving a new car for the total cost of ownership of a banger.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ballylad

Just have 19k done now, still getting 206kms on full charge 100kms/hr motorway driving mostly, still have squeaking door, they didnt touch it for check up, did you report it to dealer, not putting up with it any longer, its goinf back in next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'd say we won't see any Model 3 on Irish plates until 2020, even for people who had the deposit down from day 1...

But yeah, it is unavoidable that current EVs will drop a lot of value once real longer range cars are available for not much more than we are paying / have paid for our econobox Ioniq / Leaf

In the meantime, let us enjoy our cost savings. My 10000km have cost me less than €10 in electricity. Firstly by doing a lot of charging at my local FCP, which I pass several times a day, and lately by mostly using my unlimited free electrictiy at home :D

In my previous car, a banger, the 10000km would have cost me about €2000 in petrol (plus €1700 tax per year). This saving is more than enough to cover the depreciation in my brand new car. Driving a new car for the total cost of ownership of a banger.

+1 I'm blue in the face saying this, there will be no model 3 in RHD next year or 2019, even for reservation holders.

I've already saved thousands between free fuel (at least 70-75% of my charging is done at work, coupled with some public charging) and the low tax and maintenance. And the car is worth more than what I owe on the loan by approx 1500.

The price of the first gen leaf has not dropped substantially in the last 12 months but it is coming down slowly, as any 6 year old car would anyway. I don't see the values shooting down but dropping a few hundred here and there as per normal depreciation.

In fact people who picked up a '11 Leaf for about €5k two years ago, would have had about zero depreciation. On top of near zero running costs, no maintenance and very cheap tax while having a reliable modern car with a high spec. I declare low end Leafs to be the dawn of the new bangernomics era :D

Did you get a software update for the car? I have been promised one "soon" for the last 3 months as I have issues with the settings resetting to default every few days. Just wondering if it's available yet

• Advertisement

Yes it's available. It doesn't bother me too much, I think I'll just wait for the first 15k service.

But if I were you I'd just ring the dealers and insist on booking it in. Software update will take them only 5 minutes and if it fixes a bug, it should be free of charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I would be taking advantage of the situation if it was me

In a year when 60kWh are out depreciation will be heavy

Your going to sell it anyway when Teslas are bit easier to get hold of

will depreciation be heavy though? many people dont need 6okw...

Trouble is though... it's got sod all to do with what people actually need, and everything to do with what people feel they need.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    will depreciation be heavy though?

It will once econobox cars with close enough to twice the range of Ioniq, so 60kWh cars, will become available for €25k-€30k

Firstly, this is several years away. And secondly, most likely the €10k subsidy will be gone at that stage. So yes, I do believe our Ioniqs (which have had very little to almost zero depreciation so far), will take a hit, but at that stage they'll be several years old already

Our cars will always be attractive as they are full EVs. You can mark my words here: Ioniq Electric will depreciate less than any other petrol / diesel family size €25k car at any age over its life.

Let’s see when it’s time to trade .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Occasionally I get a noise from the rear brakes on a wet morning within the first 100 meters or so of pulling out of the house. Sounds like the handbrake hasn't fully released. Have read reports from a few owners that got this 'fixed' only for the noise to come back.

Fairly common problem with the Prius that the caliper guide pins (slide pins?) seize on the rear brakes - I had this problem with same symptoms (noise when pulling off, especially when wet). Had to replace one of the pins (totally banjaxed), got new boots and lubed up the rest. But this was with a 4 year old car! Do you live by the sea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

What's the service interval on an Ioniq EV? How do owners find tyre wear and brake pad wear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I have mine nearly a year, haven’t had it serviced yet, but plan on getting it in before year end. I haven’t noticed any issues popping up yet, car still feels like it just pulled off the lot.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Sitec wrote: »
    What's the service interval on an Ioniq EV? How do owners find tyre wear and brake pad wear?

There is a sticker on mine stating first service at 15000kms. In terms of wear on the tyres and brakes, I have 11k on mine now and I checked the breaks the other day and there like new same as the tyres. I'm not hard on the breaks as I have the regen set to the highest.
    Has any one noticed they the nearest charger button on the ev menus doesn't show up ccs! Even with all the plug top options selected in the settings it will only show chademo and slow chargers. I highlighted it with Hyundai ireland and they updated my sat nav but it was still the same.

• Advertisement

Has any one noticed they the nearest charger button on the ev menus doesn't show up ccs! Even with all the plug top options selected in the settings it will only show chademo and slow chargers. I highlighted it with Hyundai ireland and they updated my sat nav but it was still the same.

The NAV on the Ioniq is useless, tried to use it couple of times until it was trying to guide be take a right turn on a left only junction and another time telling me to take the third exit on an roundabout that has been decommissioned 2-3 years ago :)

I am using Android Auto for all the NAV needs so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement