Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You need to consider what, the Volvo will be worth in 4/5 years time, as a trade in. I genuinely see diesels being very hard to shift, at that stage. We still own one. Hope to move it in a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭richardn

Hmm, the gap just narrowed as the Volvo price included 3K scrappage so now the difference is only 4K which makes the Ioniq look very favourable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

You're asking in an EV forum, so you must expect us to lean in favour of ev. That said, I think the decision is a no brainer.

It is likely that the value of the diesel will be alot lower than you might have hoped for in 4 years time.

But sure go for the diesel and send us a link to the ioniq :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Maybe give a bit more information, daily km travelled? how many kids etc, do you have 1 or 2 cars? etc ect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,112 ✭✭✭✭listermint

goz83 wrote: »
    You're asking in an EV forum, so you must expect us to lean in favour of ev. That said, I think the decision is a no brainer.

It is likely that the value of the diesel will be alot lower than you might have hoped for in 4 years time.

But sure go for the diesel and send us a link to the ioniq :cool:

Has he factored in the actual Fuel costs on the diesel versus filling it up with Electricity. Im going to assume that narrows the 4K down dramatically then service costs on top of that cost / parts / oil labour etc

Has an FCP near him/her in Macroom, for free leccie, while it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭squishey

hopefully get to pick up new Polar White BEV next week - 181D:) any general hints/tips for the first time electric vehicle owner or related to the Ioniq itself?

Need to look at getting a home charge point and use granny cable until then. What are people using for home charge points as I am part of the new SEAI get it yourself and then get a rebate scheme? Have read about a few different ones but not sure which to look at getting. Like the idea of the wifi option on the Juicebox Pro but not sure if I would really need it.

cheers

Ah, on the new home chargepoint grant, you're our guinea pig.
    Wishing you well with the EV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

squishey wrote: »
    any general hints/tips for the first time electric vehicle owner

Need to look at getting a home charge point and use granny cable until then. What are people using for home charge points as I am part of the new SEAI get it yourself and then get a rebate scheme?

There isn't much in them so they are all much of a muchness at the lower price end. The Rolec is popular amongst those us us who installed our own. eCars used the ABL ones I think.

Just make sure you get a 32A charge point.

There are more expensive models but all you need it to do is charge the car so I'm not sure what the more expensive ones get you really, unless its for aesthetic reasons.

If you plan on installing Solar PV you could look at the Zappi but its only useful if the car is at home during sunlight hours.
    Have read about a few different ones but not sure which to look at getting. Like the idea of the wifi option on the Juicebox Pro but not sure if I would really need it.

What does the Wifi get you? Starting/Stopping the charging will be done mostly via a timer in the car not via the charge point. Does the Wifi get you some other capability? Stats?

One useful thing I added to mine was a kWh meter. That way you can track how much you are using to run the car.

Water John wrote: »
    Ah, on the new home chargepoint grant, you're our guinea pig.
    Wishing you well with the EV.

cheers ;) will let ye know how I get on

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    There isn't much in them so they are all much of a muchness at the lower price end. The Rolec is popular amongst those us us who installed our own. eCars used the ABL ones I think.

Just make sure you get a 32A charge point.

There are more expensive models but all you need it to do is charge the car so I'm not sure what the more expensive ones get you really, unless its for aesthetic reasons.

If you plan on installing Solar PV you could look at the Zappi but its only useful if the car is at home during sunlight hours.

What does the Wifi get you? Starting/Stopping the charging will be done mostly via a timer in the car not via the charge point. Does the Wifi get you some other capability? Stats?

One useful thing I added to mine was a kWh meter. That way you can track how much you are using to run the car.

Thanks for that. 32A is on the list list alright. Like you said the Wifi gives some extra stats and notification of charging started/finished etc. Kind of more of a nicety from what I can tell but was wondering if anyone else had something similar and thought it was any use.

Thanks for that. 32A is on the list list alright. Like you said the Wifi gives some extra stats and notification of charging started/finished etc. Kind of more of a nicety from what I can tell but was wondering if anyone else had something similar and thought it was any use.

One thing about the Leaf is that it has an App where you can see if the car is plugged in and start the charge. I often use the app to double check that I've the car plugged in before going to bed.

AFAIK there is no Ioniq app for Europe so maybe the Wifi version of the EVSE would be useful from that perspective. I guess it depends on how much extra the Wifi is and whether you're willing to pay it for the convenience.

NOTE: I'm not sure the Juicebox EVSE you mentioned is certified for Europe. It seems US based with no CE certification. I'd double check that before ordering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

I'll be getting my home charging put in in the next couple of weeks hopefully. Of the things I've read I want to go for a 32amp. Does that mean I need to upgrade the cables to the fuse box (or ask for specific ones)?

As for charging. In the US I see they have something called blue link which appears to be an app to connect to the car. So a few questions,
    1. How do I set the times for the car to charge? So say I plug in as soon as get home from work will it start charging immediately or does it start at a certain time I set? If it does how do I set this time? On the charger itself or in the car?
    2. Can I set the car to charge to a certain percentage or does it go that itself? I assume that charging to 100% every time isn't good for the battery?
    3. Can I preheat the car from the mains when it's plugged in? If you can how do you do that?
    4. If there's no app in Europe like said blue link are there any chargers that come with apps with the same function?
    5. Does anyone have a meter on their charge line to monitor how much electricity they're actually using?

Thanks

Yeah, unless you have a cable strong enough in place, you run a new cable back to the fuse board and install a breaker there.

lafors wrote: »
    I'll be getting my home charging put in in the next couple of weeks hopefully. Of the things I've read I want to go for a 32amp. Does that mean I need to upgrade the cables to the fuse box (or ask for specific ones)?

Unlikely that you'd need to upgrade your wiring unless you have really old wiring. The electrician will assess that anyway before he connects anything up. You simply ask for a 32A capable cable (6mm2 or better) from the charge point back to the distribution unit and leave the rest to him.

2. Can I set the car to charge to a certain percentage or does it go that itself? I assume that charging to 100% every time isn't good for the battery?

Charge to 100%. It won't do any damage to the battery unless you leave it sitting at 100% for weeks on end. By charging to 100% everyday you give yourself the most flexibility if you decide to take an unplanned journey.

5. Does anyone have a meter on their charge line to monitor how much electricity they're actually using?

I do. Some chargers come with the meter built in. It is useful but obviously not necessary.

The rest of the questions I'll leave to the Ioniq owners to answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ask for specific cables. If the run is short (under 10 meters or so) 6mm2 is the standard. For longer distances you need 10mm2. Any qualified electrician / installer will know this anyway

1. Bluelink works in the US but unfortunately not here. The car has built in functionality to start charging at a certain time and stop at a certain time. You can set this to charge only at night rate (6.65c/kWh :D). Or you can use settings that the car starts charging immediately
    2. Charging to 100% every time is perfectly fine. You can also fast charge as often as you want, perfectly fine with modern batteries. Let it go down to 0% is perfectly fine too (the system has built in extra capacity that is not usable to cope with this)
    3. Yes, it's on a timer. Lovely feature in winter!
    4. Car does it all, there are some apps, but I'm not sure what stage they are at. Ioniq EV is very popular in Germany. You might need to look on the German forums!
    5. Yes some people do. It will cost a bit extra over a charger without a meter obviously, maybe €50 or €100. If you're a boss, you might have a friendly sparks install this all 32A and the extras for about €600 - or in other words completely free after the subsidy :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

Food for thought, a guy I work with who sowed the seeds of an EV to me by letting me take a spin in his leaf had said leaf stolen last Sunday, apparently they were able to duplicate his key from outside his house and drove off with the car and charging cable, so as a precaution I got an empty butter tub and covered it in tinfoil which compleatly stops the signal from the fob an I keep my key fob in it over night , might be a bit OTT bur I like my car too much for some scrote to take it

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Prospectors

Considering getting a second hand electric ioniq. Currently have two diesels so the plants to keep one for one of our commutes and also occasional long spin.
    I would be using the electric car for a daily round trip of about 50miles.
    A few questions;
    1. What are the average running costs of an EV ( or ioniq particularly) including servicing
    2. Is there a grant available towards the install of a home charger for second hand buyers

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Macker wrote: »
    Food for thought, a guy I work with who sowed the seeds of an EV to me by letting me take a spin in his leaf had said leaf stolen last Sunday, apparently they were able to duplicate his key from outside his house and drove off with the car and charging cable, so as a precaution I got an empty butter tub and covered it in tinfoil which compleatly stops the signal from the fob an I keep my key fob in it over night , might be a bit OTT bur I like my car too much for some scrote to take it

Sorry to hear that.

Bit late now but would have been useful to open a thread in the main Motors Forum at the time so people could keep a look out for it.

Any update/sightings since?

• Advertisement

The new €600 grant that was announced, will be available to any EV buyer.
    The cost of running the EV for you 50 miles will be €1/1.5. Annual service needs very little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Considering getting a second hand electric ioniq. Currently have two diesels so the plants to keep one for one of our commutes and also occasional long spin.
    A few questions;
    1. What are the average running costs of an EV ( or ioniq particularly) including servicing
    2. Is there a grant available towards the install of a home charger for second hand buyers

Thanks

There is a grant for home charge points.

If you charge at free fast charge points while still free costs will be very low.

If you charge at home during the day this would be expensive so you would be best getting a day/night meter fitted which is done now with no charge.
    Your standing charge is a little higher but you will save lots on night rate.

Service is I believe around €120 or so.

Service isn't a whole big things as there really isn't much to do with it.

A few questions;

Thanks

The Ioniq is hard to get right now and second hand prices are the same as new prices ~€25-26k.

The new Nissan Leaf is out next month and orders are being taken. It has the same, or slightly better range than the Ioniq and the price is the same for the launch model.

The cost of running is really just the electricity. This is free on the public chargers right now, or between 1-2c per km depending on your electricity rate for home charging. Motor tax is €120 per year, with service costs around the same....even though there is feck all to service. Insurance is the same, or less usually.

There is a €600 grant toward the cost of a home charger which will bring the cost to nothing if you go with a bog standard, no frills charge box, or something second hand online. You will want a 32A rated charge point to take advantage of faster charging capability of the car you pick.

You might also decide that the EV will be the main car, doing the longer commute, because it's a pleasure driving one and the range will likely be good enough for your longer commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Prospectors

goz83 wrote: »
    The Ioniq is hard to get right now and second hand prices are the same as new prices ~€25-26k.

The new Nissan Leaf is out next month and orders are being taken. It has the same, or slightly better range than the Ioniq and the price is the same for the launch model.
    Thanks for all the info. I dont know about the leaf, took it for a test drive and enjoyed the drive but it looks very unattractive to me! Yea i know what you mean about using it for longer commutes. I have the longer commute so I'd be getting value there but I could also see us preferring to use it for weekend spins to in laws etc which would further reduce running costs on the remaining diesel car.

Thanks for all the info. I dont know about the leaf, took it for a test drive and enjoyed the drive but it looks very unattractive to me! Yea i know what you mean about using it for longer commutes. I have the longer commute so I'd be getting value there but I could also see us preferring to use it for weekend spins to in laws etc which would further reduce running costs on the remaining diesel car.

You're thinking of the current Leaf.
    og-share.jpg

The new Leaf is out next month.

maxresdefault.jpg

Launch version is a cloudy green, or a black only. You would have to ring around to check for delivery dates. Some are waiting until May...but there would be a dealer or two somewhere with stock sooner than that.

New Leaf has a new look, if you are going to look at new.

• Advertisement

Got to drive the inlaws new hybrid Ioniq today.
    I like it,
    Steering wheel feels extremely cheap though,very light and plastic.
    Apart from that a fine machine and definitely unusual styling!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

I do not know how about you guys, but I am getting SICK of people recommending to use the FCP network for every-day charging just because it is free. I cannot wait for it to become paid service.

Two weeks ago I had to wait for hour in Ballinasloe FCP for two Leafs to charge, spoke to both owners, both live in the next village :mad:

And then we have users like me, who need to charge to get somewhere on time (Dublin) but have to wait for these people who have home charger 5km away but needs to save 1.5 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

+1. I use the FCP in Naas to top up to ensure I get home. But the amount of people who park up to charge, and then jump out of the car and walk home is ****in annoying.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Fermi wrote: »
    I do not know how about you guys, but I am getting SICK of people recommending to use the FCP network for every-day charging just because it is free. I cannot wait for it to become paid service.

Two weeks ago I had to wait for hour in Ballinasloe FCP for two Leafs to charge, spoke to both owners, both live in the next village :mad:

And then we have users like me, who need to charge to get somewhere on time (Dublin) but have to wait for these people who have home charger 5km away but needs to save 1.5 euro.

I can't understand why anyone would do that.Life is too short.

jprboy wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that.

Bit late now but would have been useful to open a thread in the main Motors Forum at the time so people could keep a look out for it.

Any update/sightings since?
    No and he's not expecting to hear anything, probably left the country or broken up

• Advertisement

I can't understand why anyone would do that.Life is too short.

I feel your pain, endured this regularly in Naas for 9 months. Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Fermi wrote: »

Thats why it need to be made chargeable.....anyone I talk to, if they are not willing to install and use home charger I tell them not to bother and head back to fossil fuel....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Uh... Ioniq thread. Let's get back OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

Has anyone done any calculations on the losses sustained during charging? For example one kWh of electricity flowing from my house to my car will not I am sure charge the battery by one kWh. There must be some losses and I assume they are not inconsequential. Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere!

Leaf Charger , at least on the outgoing model is 90%. Renault Zoe for instance is only 70% on single phase AC. But the 22 Kw charger version is , if I remember correctly is above 80% efficient can't remember exactly.

I see no reason this Leaf charger wouldn't be as efficient, after all it's got the same charger, motor, inverter etc, new battery.

Same motor but more power, 148 HP V 109.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

woppers wrote: »
    Thanks Elm! :) I've been on this thread for a month or more now and I have absolutely no idea what well wear means :) I'm assuming that it's just another version of good luck or something like that.

Ha ha! 😁 the wife is on board ☺️ she has seen how much I've spent on diesel and servicing old cars over the past 8 years so she can't argue with the figures.

I'm like you Mope, I'm not rich but I just couldn't be bothered haggling. But 3 friend of mine said I should ring around for prices to see what offers I could get. So I did and I was glad I did.

The dealer originally wanted to give it to me for €29,000 with no trade in. I rang around by doing so I ended up getting the car for €27,795 + the Diamond Brite car protection thrown in for free which is worth €300.

I'm paying 7k up from so the repayments will be €405 a month for 5 years. My diesel bill is €400 a month. It's a no brainier.

I drove the Audi for the first time in a week. I love it but Jaysus, it felt like I was driving a tractor after I had the Ioniq for a week. It's funny, I thought I'd really miss the Audi but now I think I've made my peace with the fact I'll be saying goodbye to it

Is this Diamond Brite stuff worth getting done for €300.00 seems crazy price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Saw a few Ioniq's rolling off a delivery truck in Sandyford this morning if anyone is waiting on a delivery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

New video from Bjorn Nyland on YouTube about testing Ioniq's range in winter, he was well impressed.

Had to get my windscreen replaced this week after a UFO left an 8inch crack. Only cost me the €30 excess on my policy. The guy doing the replacement says paying for the windscreen outright would have cost €750.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement

Had to get my windscreen replaced this week after a UFO left an 8inch crack. Only cost me the €30 excess on my policy. The guy doing the replacement says paying for the windscreen outright would have cost €750.

Have a crack in mine too, only about an inch, don't know how it got there. Everything working after the install (auto wipers etc.)?

Yeah absolutely fine. Had a bit of trouble getting the original one out, but new one is in and working fine. Auto wipers and everything else works fine, so happy out. Took him about an hour to do the swap.

Was he assigned by your insurance company (who are you insured with) or did you go ahead yourself and claim back later?

I went through the insurance company (Zurich) they gave me the contact details for their repair agent (Allglass) who then got the closest agent to me to call to the house to do the work.

It was very easy, had to order the screen, which took about 4 days, then he came to the house and did the work.

Two questions lads, when I charge with the granny cable at home which I have to as I still haven't got a proper charger yet but it's no big deal but I noticed when I start charging the charger is locked to the car but next morning it is not, does it unlock at 100% that's a bit worrying if it does because it's visible from the street and what does system off on the dash mean, pic atached

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Lane assist system maybe??

Lane assist system maybe??
    You are correct, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Two questions lads, when I charge with the granny cable at home which I have to as I still haven't got a proper charger yet but it's no big deal but I noticed when I start charging the charger is locked to the car but next morning it is not, does it unlock at 100% that's a bit worrying if it does because it's visible from the street and what does system off on the dash mean, pic atached

In the cluster of buttons to the right of the steering wheel there is one for auto-releasing the cable after a charge, think it says 'Auto'. Make sure that it's turned off(not illuminated).

In the cluster of buttons to the right of the steering wheel there is one for auto-releasing the cable after a charge, think it says 'Auto'. Make sure that it's turned off(not illuminated).

Thanks I thought that was auto charge, I'll try it

• Advertisement

Thanks I thought that was auto charge, I'll try it

Just a quick update someone might find useful, I turned off the auto charge and it did indeed keep the charge cable locked but it stayed locked after unlocking the car so I stuck it back in auto and it unlocked, might work for others who find they have to use the emergency unlock.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement