Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Thanks in part to what I've read in this excellent thread, I'm seriously considering a brand-new Ioniq. I'm possibly going to have to jump soon, as my trusty 05 Accord with 217,000 miles on the clock has begun to develop some problems, and we're at the point where the cost of staying with it is going to exceed the cost of changing.

For background, the car will be used mainly to get me to work and back, since my wife has a Toyota hybrid for any longer trips. My commute is Waterford to Kilkenny, so about 45 km there and 45 back, the bulk of it motorway. I plan to get a home charger as there is no charging in work for the time being, and I think I'll only use the public charging network for an opportunistic top-up now and again if I'm parking somewhere that has a charger.

A few questions:

- The dealer told me that the lead time for the cars themselves is now only a couple of weeks because Hyundai Ireland have stock. What I forgot to ask is what the lead time on the home chargers is. Anyone know?

- The battery warranty is for 8 years or 200k km, whichever occurs sooner. That much I understand, but I can find no reference to what constitutes a faulty battery. As I understand it, I should be able to get to work and back on one charge, but I fear that the range could drop off over time and I'm not sure whether the warranty would cover that. Has anyone got the warranty details?

- There aren't many colour choices - it seems to be black, white, blue and two silvers. I'd lean towards blue, but I think it looks nice in white, although I'd fear I'd be cleaning it all the time. The same could be said about black. People say silver is good at hiding the dirt, but I find it a bit dull-looking. Any opinions on colours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Macker wrote: »
    Just a quick update someone might find useful, I turned off the auto charge and it did indeed keep the charge cable locked but it stayed locked after unlocking the car so I stuck it back in auto and it unlocked, might work for others who find they have to use the emergency unlock.

Did you unplug from the wall end first? I came across this a few times when I was unplugging from the wall first. When I went to unplug from the car then the cable was locked. Like you said hitting the auto button normally unlocks.

I always ensure to unplug from the car first as opposed to the wall. No issues.

Unlock from fob (you'll hear the cable release), pull the cable from car, plug out from the socket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Has the grant of €600 for the charger install come into play? With that you do your own install and claim back, I presume, on proof of ownership of an EV.

fricatus wrote: »
    - The dealer told me that the lead time for the cars themselves is now only a couple of weeks because Hyundai Ireland have stock. What I forgot to ask is what the lead time on the home chargers is. Anyone know?

No idea on the new SEAI charger grant process but you'll get a granny cable with the car. So once you have a 3-pin socket handy you'll be fine in the short term while you wait for the home charger. It takes about 12 hours from empty to charge from a 3-pin socket. If you're doing 90km a day then 6 hours should be more than enough over night to get you back to 100%.
    - The battery warranty is for 8 years or 200k km, whichever occurs sooner.
    Not sure, someone here might know more but I believe if the capacity drops to below 70% (below 140km range EPA) then they'll cover battery replacement.
    - There aren't many colour choices - it seems to be black, white, blue and two silvers. I'd lean towards blue, but I think it looks nice in white, although I'd fear I'd be cleaning it all the time. The same could be said about black. People say silver is good at hiding the dirt, but I find it a bit dull-looking. Any opinions on colours?

I went with white, never had a white car before. Requires far less cleaning then I thought it would need. I wash it as regularly as my old silver car. The white alloys get a dirty quite quickly though but overall I love it. I don't think there's a bad colour really. Black looks nice if you get the nose wrapped black too. The blue is very nice and rare enough. The aurora silver is lovely! Haven't seen the Red or Yellow in the flesh, not sure if there are any in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

I always ensure to unplug from the car first as opposed to the wall. No issues.

Thinking back I probably did unplug from the wall first, I'm running a cable from the house so I probably unplug from the house first thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Not sure, someone here might know more but I believe if the capacity drops to below 70% (below 140km range EPA) then they'll cover battery replacement.

It's important to note that claiming on the battery warranty for modern EVs (i.e. post-2013) is extremely unlikely based on the stats and statements from Nissan, BMW and Tesla.
    You'd be much more likely to need a total engine replacement under warranty in a combustion vehicle from a "reliable" manufacturer.

In Nissan's case, even when the 2010 leafs with the slightly dodgy/temperature sensitive LMO chemistry are included, battery warranty claims in europe occurred at a rate five times lower than engine replacements under warranty on Nissan's combustion vehicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭ei9go

For background, the car will be used mainly to get me to work and back, since my wife has a Toyota hybrid for any longer trips. My commute is Waterford to Kilkenny, so about 45 km there and 45 back, the bulk of it motorway.

-

Why don't you drive from Waterford to Kilkenny and back on a test drive?
    See how much power you use
    That part of the M9 is very hard on power.
    Seen the car drawing 40+ kW on the huge hill at Mullinavat.

ei9go wrote: »
    Why don't you drive from Waterford to Kilkenny and back on a test drive?
    See how much power you use

Yes, that will be my next move if I get to the point where I'm seriously considering it.

ei9go wrote: »
    That part of the M9 is very hard on power.
    Seen the car drawing 40+ kW on the huge hill at Mullinavat.

You said it... although you do get to coast down on the way home! :D

No idea on the new SEAI charger grant process but you'll get a granny cable with the car. So once you have a 3-pin socket handy you'll be fine in the short term while you wait for the home charger. It takes about 12 hours from empty to charge from a 3-pin socket. If you're doing 90km a day then 6 hours should be more than enough over night to get you back to 100%.

Hadn't even thought of that (I kinda assumed the granny cable was nothing more than a gimmick, a bit like stabiliser wheels for people who were nervous about making the jump to an EV).

I went with white, never had a white car before. Requires far less cleaning then I thought it would need. I wash it as regularly as my old silver car. The white alloys get a dirty quite quickly though but overall I love it.

Hmmm, yes, you have me leaning back towards white now... :D:rolleyes:

Haven't seen the Red or Yellow in the flesh, not sure if there are any in the country.

I've seen them in videos and pictures, but they don't appear to be available in Ireland according to the brochure I got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Another Bjørn Nyland winter test in Norway at -3C

>200km and still a little bit left in the battery

"Again it shows that Ioniq is king of the road when it comes to efficiency"

He averaged 12kWh/100km which is ridiculously impressive in that kinda weather. That said, he had cruise control on at 80km/h and he was in ECO mode. Not something I would ever do on a motorway. In fact I always drive in sport mode as it makes the car so much faster. And unless I had some very severe range anxiety, I would never drive under 120km/h (real speed, not indicated speed)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

unkel wrote: »
    Another Bjørn Nyland winter test in Norway at -3C

>200km and still a little bit left in the battery

"Again it shows that Ioniq is king of the road when it comes to efficiency"

He averaged 12kWh/100km which is ridiculously impressive in that kinda weather. That said, he had cruise control on at 80km/h and he was in ECO mode. Not something I would ever do on a motorway. In fact I always drive in sport mode as it makes the car so much faster. And unless I had some very severe range anxiety, I would never drive under 120km/h (real speed, not indicated speed)

So if they had a 60 kWh battery , an Ioniq would hit 500 km range , Even a 40 kWh battery would be a game changer.

Probably not due to the weight and the car would most likely have to be larger to accommodate a 60 Kwh battery.

And you're not really going to drive at 80 Kph for that distance, I'd be more impressed if that was 100 Kph at least. Better than my i3 for sure but then again range is no issue for me and I can drive at 120-130 kph or more.

Bigus wrote: »
    So if they had a 60 kWh battery , an Ioniq would hit 500 km range , Even a 40 kWh battery would be a game changer.

All in theory. In practice, Hyundai is only producing a fraction of world demand for their 28kWh Ioniq. And that's with sales in the USA limited to only a handful of dealers and only in California. There's no chance there will be a long range 40kWh model this year that some people suggested.

It's a bit sad really. The world would be a better place for all of us if Hyundai was able to make a million Ioniqs a year. For sure they would all be sold no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Shoobs86

hey everyone, I'm planning to switch to the Ioniq in Feb next year. I have read back through the posts here and it seems to be a fairly safe bet, EV wise. my only concern is that it is a Hyundai :)

I have a Hyundai i10 at the moment and to be honest I'm not very impressed. Its a 161 and there have been several issues with it; handbrake doesn't disengage, glove box never closes, brakes not great etc. It has been in for service and is under warranty, but they keep telling me it's fine.

Has anyone had any general car issues with the Ioniq - not specifically related to the charging/range?

On a side note, I plan to be driving approx 100km a day to and from work - thoughts on range? mostly 100-120kmph the whole way, home charge, work charge is available i think as we charge refrigerated vans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Shoobs86 wrote: »
    SNIP
    Has anyone had any general car issues with the Ioniq - not specifically related to the charging/range?

SNIP

I took one for a test drive last year. The car seemed pretty low down and the view out the rear window is very poor, because of the split.

On the test drive, I noticed a grinding sound from the rear wheel. This was a recall issue, so wouldn't worry about it now.

It was a pleasant drive and I had decided I wanted an EV, so I was really considering the Ioniq.

I decided on a Leaf instead.....and a couple months later, I bought a second Leaf and we became a 2 EV household.

There are reports of the Ioniq getting stuck at rapid chargers, but other than that, I don't know of any other issues. It's a great car, no doubt and has good range.

The new Leaf is out this month too, with a bit more range, so that's another option. Pricing is similar, depending on spec.......something Hyundai Ireland decided not to offer to customers. The only option was colour. I was really turned off by their attitude tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Shoobs86

Thanks goz83

I'm looking forward to getting an EV, not nervous about it at all. I'm just not convinced hyundai is for me. As i said i have the i10 now on PCP and it's not great. Might just talk to BOI about switching my finance to nissan instead for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Three family members had Hyundai, cars. Two i20s and i40. No problems with any. Generally considered, very reliable. I think Hyundai and Kia make most of the parts themselves, not outsourced. Could be wrong on that.
    I think it might be an issue of changing dealership for you. Those things should be sorted, without question.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

goz83 wrote: »
    There are reports of the Ioniq getting stuck at rapid chargers, but other than that, I don't know of any other issues. It's a great car, no doubt and has good range.

There's a recall on the actuator for the charging port locking mechanism. Ours is due in towards the end of the month to be replaced.

As an owner, and from what I've read from many other owners, the Ioniq EV is very reliable. There are 3 known issues:

1. brakes. This applies only to cars manufactured before March 2017. Mine is from late February / early March and did not have this issue. Older cars get a free recall
    2. charging solenoid - cars get stuck in charger sometimes, have to use release cable to get it open. Never happened to me, but this is also a free recall
    3. some software settings get set back to defaults, like charging times and regen brake preferences. The latest software update fixes this

Go test drive eGolf, Ioniq and the new Leaf and see for yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭TOLLOT

Folks , just to tip the hat to all that contribute here on the ioniq thread . Read the full thread along with the leaf 2018 version of same .
    Great info & debate here for someone researching EVs.
    Had to think about that post debating the cube power of cda s a few pages back !
    , as to why ioniq over leaf at motorway speeds .

For my scenario it’s for use around the city here and the odd trip to Dublin . With some motorway use I was happy to pick the ioniq over the 2018 leaf and having read the thread i’m comfortable with the pro and cons
    Paid my deposit today , collect in two weeks ish . Choices were white & silver so went with white.
    my only comment having just bought is that i got the impression supply was improving as the dealer mentioned battery supply improving recently.
    Ta

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

TOLLOT wrote: »
    Folks , just to tip the hat to all that contribute here on the ioniq thread . Read the full thread along with the leaf 2018 version of same .
    Great info & debate here for someone researching EVs.
    Had to think about that post debating the cube power of cda s a few pages back !
    , as to why ioniq over leaf at motorway speeds .

For my scenario it’s for use around the city here and the odd trip to Dublin . With some motorway use I was happy to pick the ioniq over the 2018 leaf and having read the thread i’m comfortable with the pro and cons
    Paid my deposit today , collect in two weeks ish . Choices were white & silver so went with white.
    my only comment having just bought is that i got the impression supply was improving as the dealer mentioned battery supply improving recently.
    Ta

Congtrats Tollot, can I ask what gave the Ioniq the edge for you?
    I'm just starting to consider which EV I will buy this year. I think its narrowed down to Ioniq vs Leaf. I'm very much a noob on EVs currently so I'm not sure even if thinks like CCS vs CHAdeMO should matter to me on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭TOLLOT

I felt it was between the leaf 2018 and the Ioniq. For me i liked the idea of the lower aero drag of the ioniq being more efficient at motorway speeds so there’s less of a battery penalty driving at 120 on the motorways .
    that said the leaf 18 has a bigger battery so it looks like they will be very close on range for motorway driving .
    City driving it looked to me like the leaf 18 may go further. if you check out the videos of a chap called Bjorn hyland on Utube he has posted up a few tests of the ioniq. I think more tests of the leaf 18 will start to appear soon which are worth considering before you decide later in the year .
    Finally for me i preferred the look and styling of the Ioniq over the new leaf , for me it just looked a hint better .

i suggest you pull out the esb e cars app and see what public chargers are in your area , esp the fast ones .
    flip between chademo and ccs check boxes and consider where you are likely to be driving .
    Those fast changer will be very useful for motorway runs / longer trips away .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

CCS coverage is a killer for me as I'm in the North West. Other than that I much prefer the Ioniq to the Leaf (old and new) in terms of looks, although I'm told the Ioniq has a poor rear view which would kill it for my wife. Plus she lives for the 360 cameras on the Leaf.

I do think that Hyundai could have sewn up the market if they hadn't encountered such drastic stock shortages. And if they pulled out a 40kwh Ioniq with decent supply they could shoot the new Leaf dead in its tracks.

CCS coverage is a killer for me as I'm in the North West. Other than that I much prefer the Ioniq to the Leaf (old and new) in terms of looks, although I'm told the Ioniq has a poor rear view which would kill it for my wife. Plus she lives for the 360 cameras on the Leaf.

I do think that Hyundai could have sewn up the market if they hadn't encountered such drastic stock shortages. And if they pulled out a 40kwh Ioniq with decent supply they could shoot the new Leaf dead in its tracks.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'm told the Ioniq has a poor rear view

It is poor. As the rear windscreen is split presumably for aerodynamic reasons. Some other aerodynamic cars have it too. You do get used to it though, it worried me on the test drive before I bought the car, but it really doesn't bother me anymore now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Speaking of rear window...
    I’d really miss the wiper if we had the iOniq. Funny enough every single car I bought for the last 15 years had one and I only realised how much I liked it some 10 years later when some muppet snapped the wiper on the Yaris. It felt as if I was going blind :)

unkel wrote: »
    It is poor. As the rear windscreen is split presumably for aerodynamic reasons. Some other aerodynamic cars have it too. You do get used to it though, it worried me on the test drive before I bought the car, but it really doesn't bother me anymore now.

Wouldn't bother me, but it would bother her. I could live with a rear parking camera and sensors too, but she is now entirely dependent on the 360 cameras.

Kinda restricts our options, lol.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

peposhi wrote: »
    Speaking of rear window...
    I’d really miss the wiper if we had the iOniq. Funny enough every single car I bought for the last 15 years had one and I only realised how much I liked it some 10 years later when some muppet snapped the wiper on the Yaris. It felt as if I was going blind :)

I prefer a rear window wiper too. The only thing I can say in defence of the Ioniq there is that the bottom portion of the window is perpendicular to the ground and also protected by the lip on the boot so it's rarely if ever covered in rain - at least in my experience. OH drives it a lot more often than I do.

441034.jpg

I thought viability in the Ioniq was fine, having driven vans for years with 0 viability through the rear door things like that don't bother me, especially with cameras and sensors.

Congrats TOLLOT, the Ioniq looks good in white, well wear.

• Advertisement

Lads,

I'm trying to project my running costs if I go for this. I've had a bit of a read in various places including this thread, and I'm just wondering if I'm calculating all this right... this is what I've come up with:

Energy consumption: 14 kw/h per 100 km
    Price per unit electricity: 10 c (night saver rate with EI is a little over 9 c per unit, and a unit is 1 kw/h, right?)
    Price per 100 km: €1.40 (so 1.4 c per km)
    I did 18211 miles last year according to my records, and I'll do the same in 2018 give or take, and that's equal to 29137 km
    29137 km * 1.4 c = €408 approx

Anything wildly wrong with these calculations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Lads,

I'm trying to project my running costs if I go for this. I've had a bit of a read in various places including this thread, and I'm just wondering if I'm calculating all this right... this is what I've come up with:

Energy consumption: 14 kw/h per 100 km
    Price per unit electricity: 10 c (night saver rate with EI is a little over 9 c per unit, and a unit is 1 kw/h, right?)
    Price per 100 km: €1.40 (so 1.4 c per km)
    I did 18211 miles last year according to my records, and I'll do the same in 2018 give or take, and that's equal to 29137 km
    29137 km * 1.4 c = €408 approx

Anything wildly wrong with these calculations?

Spot on!

Obviously the 14kWh/100km is subjective.... depends on how heavy your right foot is and roads you are driving. The charger in the car is also usually around 90% efficient so you would need to add about another 10% or so to the 14kWh/100km but its about right to get a good overall indication.

Side note, you should look at your elec provider.... you should be able to get night rate at about 7c/kWh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

So I guess I'll be the guinea pig for the SEAI grant.
    I applied yesterday and today in the post I got my approval letter, very fast!
    Basically there are two forms at the back that need to be filled out, one by the owner and one by the SafeElectric Ireland approved Electrician. These need to be sent in to an address stated in the letter once the work is completed. Then the cost of the work up to the grant of €600 will be paid into the bank account started in your form.

Now to find a SafeElectric Ireland approved Electrician!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

lafors wrote: »
    So I guess I'll be the guinea pig for the SEAI grant.
    I applied yesterday and today in the post I got my approval letter, very fast!
    Basically there are two forms at the back that need to be filled out, one by the owner and one by the SafeElectric Ireland approved Electrician. These need to be sent in to an address stated in the letter once the work is completed. Then the cost of the work up to the grant of €600 will be paid into the bank account started in your form.

Now to find a SafeElectric Ireland approved Electrician!

Good stuff lafors.

Does it say where you can buy the charger? Or proof of purchase, etc.?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Wouldn't bother me, but it would bother her.

She might surprise you. My wife was very much bothered by the limited rear visibility (she would have never driven a van for instance) during the 24h test drive. Since we have the car, she hasn't mentioned it, so obviously it hasn't been an issue for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

I have been driving an ioniq since april , Should have no problem for your commute. I have driven 40k since April have spent about 400 euro on "fuel", if that ( energy saver night rate of 7 cents ) . I do Clare to Donegal regularly requires a bit of planning and it takes longer than it used to . That would be my only gripe , it would be nice to have the longer range on those kind of trips, but things will only get better. Ionity are coming in with a High Speed Charging network Europe wide in the 2019 time frame if you are to believe their advertising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

Plus plugging it in at night you can set the timer for the heating to come on so no more annoying ice scrapping .

Dglflyer wrote: »
    Ionity are coming in with a High Speed Charging network Europe wide in the 2019 time frame if you are to believe their advertising.

They'll be faced with the same issues the ESB were faced with in regards to finding a suitable site, property owners will tell them that for insurance reasons they can't be on site after hours. Garage owners will say no chance and ESB will say, sorry no power available here :D

They'll be faced with the same issues the ESB were faced with in regards to finding a suitable site, property owners will tell them that for insurance reasons they can't be on site after hours. Garage owners will say no chance and ESB will say, sorry no power available here :D

Nah. See my thread on Ionity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Soarer wrote: »
    Good stuff lafors.

Does it say where you can buy the charger? Or proof of purchase, etc.?

Nope nothing like that at all. Just your details and the electrician had to put his details on it and the details of the type of charger... And price of course.
    If I get a chance I'll scan in the doc tomorrow and attach it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

Guys,

what tyre pressure are you using for your cars? When I got my car from the garage, all tyres where at 3.1 bar according to the information display in the car. It is now down to 2.6 and I think it would do no harm to inflate them a bit. However, the car manual says that the recommended tyre pressure is only 2.5 bar?

• Advertisement

I'm using 2.5 bar / 36 psi

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I use 40 psi.

Lads,

I'm on the point of changing, but I'm trying to get a dealership to give me a 24-48 hour test drive, and I'm having difficulty. In fairness to one salesman, he hasn't got one to demo, but he seems to be working away in the background trying to get hold of one.

Otherwise it's all just been unreturned calls. One receptionist read back my message referring to the car as the "Iconic". I don't see her having such problems with "Tucson" for some reason. You'd swear I didn't even want to buy a car off them.

Can anyone recommend a Hyundai dealership that's proactive and responsive when it comes to selling the Ionic EV? The closer to my location the better, but I'm prepared to go as far as Tipp, the midlands or even Dublin if necessary.

Also, I'm not cracked about the cloth seats. Is there any dealership (or importer) that would have access to the UK-spec model so that I could get it with leather?

s there any dealership (or importer) that would have access to the UK-spec model so that I could get it with leather?

Give Phil Fitzgerald a call in Electric Autos. He can source whatever you need.

Lads,

I'm on the point of changing, but I'm trying to get a dealership to give me a 24-48 hour test drive, and I'm having difficulty. In fairness to one salesman, he hasn't got one to demo, but he seems to be working away in the background trying to get hold of one.

Otherwise it's all just been unreturned calls. One receptionist read back my message referring to the car as the "Iconic". I don't see her having such problems with "Tucson" for some reason. You'd swear I didn't even want to buy a car off them.

Can anyone recommend a Hyundai dealership that's proactive and responsive when it comes to selling the Ionic EV? The closer to my location the better, but I'm prepared to go as far as Tipp, the midlands or even Dublin if necessary.

Also, I'm not cracked about the cloth seats. Is there any dealership (or importer) that would have access to the UK-spec model so that I could get it with leather?

Phil is getting an orange iOniq delivered in the next while (could be tomorrow). He could possibly organise if not 24h at least a short test drive.

Check with him re-importing one too - no better place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Is importing through a dealer like auto electric worth it? I recall a thread here that indicated you loose money.

Manion wrote: »
    Is importing through a dealer like auto electric worth it? I recall a thread here that indicated you loose money.

It is a matter of a personal opinion and circumstances. At first I bought a brand new car from a main dealer. I did not know the technology, nor real life pros and cons, cimplications and etc. 2 years later it was a different story - I got in touch with Phil and he got me a very good deal - I paid off the outstanding balance on my car and traded it in for an year old Leaf with bigger battery and better spec, better charging abilities. Now I am getting another Leaf as a second family car. It’s Phil again who is moving the deal for me. He knows his stuff and cares for what he’s doing. That’s why I recommend him so highly.

So from my perspective - it’s well worth it.
    Other people feel perfectly confident dealing with everything by themselves and that again it’s worth it for them as it ticks the boxes they have to tick...

Hope that helps

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Manion wrote: »

Of course, Phil doesn’t do it for free, so you have to pay for the time, travel and expenses Outland to get your car here for you.

Yo7 possibly can get it cheaper by sourcing, traveling and bringing home your own car (I’ve done it may times, but I’m confident myself checking a car) but don’t forget, Phil offers warrant also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Any sign of the Ioniq with bigger battery, wasnt it 2018 for launch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

kceire wrote: »
    Of course, Phil doesn’t do it for free, so you have to pay for the time, travel and expenses Outland to get your car here for you.

Yo7 possibly can get it cheaper by sourcing, traveling and bringing home your own car (I’ve done it may times, but I’m confident myself checking a car) but don’t forget, Phil offers warrant also.

But often times people in the trade have access to better, cheaper cars than the general public. The likes of electric autos, eco cars, etc can sometimes work out as the same cost as importing it yourself, but you get to see the car before committing and there's no hassle.

I bought my leaf from Phil in Electric Autos and I'll be going back there as my first point of call once I'm ready to buy my next EV>

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement