Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Shefwedfan wrote:
    Any sign of the Ioniq with bigger battery, wasnt it 2018 for launch?

I'm really hoping (based on absolutely nothing whatsoever at all) that as they are unvailing the Kona in a couple of weeks that they will also announce the upgraded ioniq ---- again this is based on absolutely no sniff of any information whatsoever......

The 2018 Leaf a disappointment ? can't say I disagree. But to be fair for newcomers to Ev it will be a great car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It just didn't make a big leap forward that was hoped for and expected. It's still progress. A longer range Ioniq, bigger battery, will lead the market, when it comes.
    That's coming from a 30 kwh, Leaf owner.

No the so called Leaf II isn't the leap I had expected back in 2015, nor is the charging infrastructure.

The 2019 could be a different story if rumours are correct.

DC charging speeds are a complete and utter disappointment, but what it's like on our triple headed chargers remains to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I can't see the 48kWh Ioniq appearing any time soon. If Hyundai have any access to more batteries, they will use them for 28kWh Ioniqs. They could sell shiploads to disappointed buyers all over the world who can't get them and in turn the car would become better known, etc. It really is the first usable budget EV for most families (who don't have another car)

2018 is a bad year for EVs in this country, except for people who can get them as zero BIK cars and then mostly the Teslas

Hopefully 2019 will be better. The optimist in my says it will be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Its an interesting swing, from very little uptake, to now supply not meeting demand. The wider public are now primed for EVs. Just need the models, which will come, and the infrastructure, not so sure.
    Yes, my aim would be a longer range EV, in 2019, as the second EV in the family.
    With the help of BIK.

I'm actually not so worried about the infrastructure. I can't see it getting worse than it is now (I guess the silver lining in that the EV uptake is slower than expected this year), and it should get better from later on this year with both the state investing in fast chargers and also Ionity. And Tesla owners are already sorted and getting even more superchargers. And what is effectively the extension of the free home charger scheme helps to prime the wider public even further and so does the free BIK (wait for all those Teslas to start appearing) and so will the free tolls

Bring on 2019 for EVs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

Try the Hyundai Dealer in Limerick on the BallySimon Road ( Limerick Motors ) ask for Kieran, He gets it when it comes to EVs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

unkel wrote: »
    I can't see the 48kWh Ioniq appearing any time soon. If Hyundai have any access to more batteries, they will use them for 28kWh Ioniqs. They could sell shiploads to disappointed buyers all over the world who can't get them and in turn the car would become better known, etc. It really is the first usable budget EV for most families (who don't have another car)

2018 is a bad year for EVs in this country, except for people who can get them as zero BIK cars and then mostly the Teslas

Hopefully 2019 will be better. The optimist in my says it will be better.
    I take a slightly different view of the Ioniq. I was really interested in it last year, but couldn't get one, even in the UK. Now, my worry would be that if I buy the current car with the small battery, it will devalue hugely if/when the bigger battery car is available. So I'll wait and see what happens. If a 40KW or higher Kona lands here this year, I'll probably buy one.

The new Leaf has been a huge disappointment for me. I'll test drive one, but the drive will have to be spectacular to tempt me to open my wallet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I take a slightly different view of the Ioniq. I was really interested in it last year, but couldn't get one, even in the UK. Now, my worry would be that if I buy the current car with the small battery, it will devalue hugely if/when the bigger battery car is available. So I'll wait and see what happens. If a 40KW or higher Kona lands here this year, I'll probably buy one.

I'm in a very similar position. I would buy the new ioniq tomorrow if it were available. I will probably buy the kona if it is available in Q3....however I have some concerns about efficiency at motorway speed. My 75 each way commute is 90% empty motorway and I don't drive under the limit unless necessary. I also do a regular parent visit or airport run, both of which are around 210 motorway each way.

The new leaf seems to be only marginally, if at all, better for long distance motorway driving at speed..... and this seems to highlight the significant impact of drag for my specific use case. My concern is that the kona, given it's shape and size will have similar issues.... but if supersized ioniq was available in similar timeframe I'd put my deposit down in the morning...

You'll have no problem with your 150km commute at 120km/h even in winter in Ioniq. 210km motorway to your parents means a charge, unless you're willing to drive at 100km/h

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

You'll have no problem with your 150km commute at 120km/h even in winter in Ioniq. 210km motorway to your parents means a charge, unless you're willing to drive at 100km/h

I'm currently doing 160 km per day the exact same way. Driving on a motorway non stop basically. Spending nearly 100 euro a week on petrol. :o

Or wait for 2019 Leaf 60 Kwh or i3 rex ? Rex will do everything you want if it suits you. Or wait for the possibility of larger battery ioniq ? 33 Kwh Rex has 140-170 Kms battery and unlimited petrol. You can get 22 Kwh rex also a few years old which will have 100-120 Kms electric and unlimited petrol.

Gotta tell you that the very poor CCS network turned me off of BEV only which is why I have Rex and yes it makes life a lot easier.

Leaf II charging speeds are not fast compared to the Ioniq, at first I thought it was cold battery but in the video we saw it had been driven a substantial distance and still was not particularly fast even with a warm better and towards the end was throttled due to heat. So on this basis alone I'd opt for the ioniq if choosing battery only and if I were you I would wait for a larger battery option Ioniq which could even charge at a faster rate.

Believe me when I tell you that as an EV driver for the last 90,000 Kms odd that the greater the freedom you have from the charging network the better.

However, in fairness to the Leaf II we need charging tests on our own chargers which are known to dish out more power.

I'm trying to get data on charging a Ioniq battery with a cold battery but this data is virtually impossible to find all batteries slow down charging in the cold by their very nature, internal resistance increases hindering the flow of electrons.

Some say there's no effect but the battery could be warm and they don't know , it could have been driven and warm enough.

Anyway be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Raoul wrote: »
    I'm currently doing 160 km per day the exact same way. Driving on a motorway non stop basically. Spending nearly 100 euro a week on petrol. :o

Your fuel saving would be more than enough to pay for the depreciation of a brand new Ioniq. And given the other costs per month of the Ioniq is also cheaper than your current car (tax, insurance, maintenance), it means it is cheaper for you to sell your car and buy a new Ioniq

Do your sums and you'll figure this out for yourself. Seriously, with your massive commute, you need to get yourself into an EV asap!

You have to take into account battery degradation, the Ioniq is too new to know how it will stand up in 2-3 years +.

And on long runs how do you feel about charging and queuing ? it will happen. Also there are not that many CCS chargers around. If a charger is down ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

You have to take into account battery degradation, the Ioniq is too new to know how it will stand up in 2-3 years +.

We can generalise though, so far apart from Arizona based Nissan Leafs, batteries have held up way better than expected. The cells used in the Ioniq, Bolt and soon Leaf 60 are more than likely to hold up just as well if not better than the a 2011 Leaf outside of Arizona.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

I won't expect more that 10% degradation on my battery in the next 10 years in Irish weather conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Its a pity that there isn't a LeafSpy type app on the Ioniq that shows each cell and the overall degradation.

The faster charging speeds might have a long term affect too. Only time will tell.

But I agree, 10yrs should be no issue whatsoever in our climate.

And Ioniq comes with a full 5 years manufacturers warranty and 8 years on the battery. There really is very little to worry about when you buy one new or nearly new :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

KCross wrote: »
    Its a pity that there isn't a LeafSpy type app on the Ioniq that shows each cell and the overall degradation.

The faster charging speeds might have a long term affect too. Only time will tell.

But I agree, 10yrs should be no issue whatsoever in our climate.

No LeafSpy but you can pull the data via the CustomPids in Torque.
    I'll hook mine up at the weekend and review the degradation after 13 months

• Advertisement

High mileage drivers may hit the 70 odd % limit sooner than the warranty allows and how fast that happens is anyone's guess.

And in that warranty does it suggest a brand new battery will be fitted at end of life within warranty or reconditioned and does it give any indication as to what capacity they restore it to ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Dglflyer wrote: »
    Try the Hyundai Dealer in Limerick on the BallySimon Road ( Limerick Motors ) ask for Kieran, He gets it when it comes to EVs.

He might "get it" but he has no cars to sell so a bit pointless

I have talked to a few Hyundai dealers in Dublin area and they are grand, to be honest the majoirty of them know f**k all about any of the cars they are selling.....electric or not

To give example, was looking at Alhmabra, rang dealer and said how many integrated booster, was told 2, asked them to be sure because it looked like 1 from pics. Was told 100% it was 2, went out and guess what it was 1.

Talked to another dealer who said the Alhambra they had didn't have any, told him I could see at least 1 on pics, told me I was wrong. A few days later called me back to say sorry and it had 1....idiots the lot of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Deedsie wrote: »
    Not being smart but you should have a look at the expressway bus timetables for your commute. Could save yourself about €2.5k per year. Based on your petrol spending alone. 10 journey ticket on the bus is €39.50

You don't know where I am travelling from! ha. The bus timetable doesn't suit me unfortunately. :mad::mad:

I found more information on the Ioniq, it has a battery heater. So as I said in the Leaf thread it just shows how lame the 40 Kwh leaf is after all these years compared to the much newer Ioniq !

So that answers my question about internal resistance, this is how Hyundai/LG Chem have over come it, simple but effective battery heating enabling much faster charging in colder weather and a basic fan allowing faster charging when the battery is warm already !

7e1979e8971ffcf96a5a4c624a6a61ed.jpg

http://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/234-hyundai-ioniq-electric-ev/8874-management-battery-temperature-4.html

And I almost thought you didn't believe me when I said I didn't notice any charging difference between summer and winter in Ioniq :)

It would be interesting to know how much extra energy the heater uses to pre-condition the battery as that will obviously increase your electricity bill.

Any stats on the heater... kW's?

KCross wrote: »
    It would be interesting to know how much extra energy the heater uses to pre-condition the battery as that will obviously increase your electricity bill.

Ioniq owners' observations that charging doesn't take longer in winter than it does in summer would suggest that the extra energy needed for the heater is not really material

On a different note. I've sat in the car while charging with the aircon blasting away on a very cold day and it did take a little bit longer alright. Maybe 1 minute on a full charge?

Ioniq owners' observations that charging doesn't take longer in winter than it does in summer would suggest that the extra energy needed for the heater is not really material

On a different note. I've sat in the car while charging with the aircon blasting away on a very cold day and it did take a little bit longer alright. Maybe 1 minute on a full charge?

You are talking about a rapid there though, aren't you?

I was more interested in the the home charging. Presumably heating several 100kg's of battery mass is not an insignificant amount of energy.

Do any of us care how much it costs to charge our cars at home? As in well under €2 to do 200km?

Maybe €2.20 if the car is using a battery heater and you want to have it at 24C with heated seats before you take off on a freezing cold day? :D

My last car cost the guts of €50 for 200km and no pre heating. Even a frugal diesel now costs the guts of €20 for 200km and no pre heating either (and don't get me started on the other costs of diesel to society)

And I don't mean it as a dig, but the cost of charging an Ioniq (with a battery heater) is a lot lower per km driven than charging a Leaf (without a battery heater)

• Advertisement

And I almost thought you didn't believe me when I said I didn't notice any charging difference between summer and winter in Ioniq :)

haha no I didn't not believe you, I just like data, I knew there must have been a battery heater, nothing else made sense. If it was charging fast I wanted to know how because there's very little info on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

I know this has been asked before but I'd have to go back through 300 pages of the thread to find it.

How long does the iqonic take on a home charger and a normal charger in a town and a fast charger.

Also what is its real life range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

28kw battery.

so at home 28/6.6= 4.3hrs
    normal street charging not sure if it'll take 11kw.. if not its same as home.
    fast charge up to 100kw!( not in Ireland :D ) so 28/50kw= about 30 mins

real life range about 125miles/200km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

ewj1978 wrote: »
    28kw battery.

so at home 28/6.6= 4.3hrs
    normal street charging not sure if it'll take 11kw.. if not its same as home.
    fast charge up to 100kw!( not in Ireland :D ) so 28/50kw= about 30 mins

real life range about 125miles/200km

Thanks which quick charge type does the iqonic use. Is it ccs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

yes. CCS

^^^

Pretty much. A full charge gives about 200km in winter, 230km in summer. Less if you do a good bit of 120km/h motorway driving. And that's with a heavy foot in sports mode. People have got over 400km in it hypermiling on provincial roads.

It charges at 6.6kW at home or at any public slow charger. And at 100kW on fast chargers, but in Ireland you get only a bit over 50kW at any of the existing old fast chargers here. About to change though this year and next year! A 20%-80% charge (which is quite typical if you are in a hurry) takes 20 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

It charges at 6.6kW at home or at any public slow charger.

Beware, although the ESB ecars website lists all AC chargers as 32A, some are only 16A (Leixlip Confey station for example).
    73km to work, 73 km home. 70 km of both journeys is motorway driving.

Could I rely on an ioniq? Charging in work is not and won't ever be an option. There are some charge points near where I work could be an option in winter months.

Those of you who have ioniq electric cars. Would it be viable for me?

That would be do-able. If you're worried about range you don't have to drive at the limit on the motorway. Drop down to 100km/h and you'll see a range increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

73km to work, 73 km home. 70 km of both journeys is motorway driving.

Could I rely on an ioniq? Charging in work is not and won't ever be an option. There are some charge points near where I work could be an option in winter months.

Those of you who have ioniq electric cars. Would it be viable for me?

For up to 150km with 90-100km/h you’d be fine even in the winter. No extra charge needed. iOniq performes really well on a motorway.

Get one to try over two days.

peposhi wrote: »
    For up to 150km with 90-100km/h you’d be fine even in the winter. No extra charge needed. iOniq performes really well on a motorway.

Get one to try over two days.

Everytime you write iOniq it makes me wince :D
    Officially it's IONIQ but most people use Ioniq.

• Advertisement

Somebody tuned the Ioniq, they took the hybrid to 80mpg.

I wonder what they could of got out of the EV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

liamog wrote: »
    iOniq wouldnt be allowed as it looks like an apple brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

liamog wrote: »

Hahaha, for whatever reason I was convinced it was to start with “i” :)
    A few boardsters were calling it iconiq at some stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Is this car an Aurora Silver?
    Appears to be but I'm not certain but it looks really good on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2kTnbhEx6Y&t=108s

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

JackieChan wrote: »
    Is this car an Aurora Silver?
    Appears to be but I'm not certain but it looks really good on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2kTnbhEx6Y&t=108s

That's it, same colour as ours! Looks really well a lot of the time but can look a little nondescript on gloomy Irish days (still my favourite colour though).

I've only ever met one other that colour so not too common.

On a side note, we've now done Dublin-Tralee about 5-6 times with no major issue. In winter we need an extra stop due to fast charger locations but if there was an FCP at Nenagh or Birdhill it would be one stop year round. The smaller battery size and quick fast charging is a big benefit in terms of cost to run and charging times.

Yes it is. I ordered mine in Aurora Silver, but I chickened out and went for Platinum Silver :(

I've never seen one in the flash...

That car looks horrible though!

• Advertisement

Yes it is. I ordered mine in Aurora Silver, but I chickened out and went for Platinum Silver :(

I've never seen one in the flash...

That car looks horrible though!

You think the colour looks horrible? Have to say I like it

No the colour is nice, just whatever they did to the car is horrible with those wheels and that spoiler :p

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

Got a letter today for a recall. "Some Ioniq models may experience a warning light coming on as a result of a failure of the control unit....".

Says it is a 30 minutes job.

I think I've made my mind up to order one. I was told there is a 12 week wait,just need to get finance sorted!
    I saw my first Ioniq in the wild in Portlaoise yesterday, a Tipp registered 172 and it looked nice in white.

rgunning wrote: »
    Got a letter today for a recall. "Some Ioniq models may experience a warning light coming on as a result of a failure of the control unit....".

What control unit?

I'm coming up to my 15k service. Need to compile a checklist of all the things I need done. Maybe we can do one up here for all the owners:

1. recall on charger actuator (known problem that leaves cable connected sometimes - hasn't happened to me, but might as well have it fixed)
    2. latest version of maps and in particular software as it fixes the issue that charge settings and driving settings reset to default sometimes. We need which version of the software is the latest?
    3. one of the eyes in the boot has broken, need it replaced. Might ask dealer for a boot liner as well. About £60 in the UK with 3rd party ones for £24 but might as well get the OEM one. We have a dog these days :p

What am I forgetting?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement