Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

So have mine a day now, very happy with it. It'll never match my poor BMW V8 for noise and sheer brute force :) but it's some advanced piece of kit.

It basically brought me from the M1 to M50 to M4 with me only taking over full control during the junctions from one to the other.

I also did a software update earlier, went from
    Software: AE_EV.EUR.SOP.003.17.161212
    Firmware: AE_EV.EUR.0.5.139.161118.MICOM
    Nav App: INT_AVN_MID.EUR.HMC.161209.100733
    to
    Software: AE_EV.EUR.SOP.005.3.170927
    Firmware: AE_EV.EUR.0.5.222.170920.MICOM
    Nav App: STD_AVN_MID.EUR.HMC.170927.a803344

Took about 10min max to apply via sd card.

I can see where the industry is going now, never mind the fuel source. It's all small assistances to help the driver and then when we're all ready in a decade or so you'll see full auto driving. In saying that driving on Irish country roads is going to be very very hard for them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

lafors wrote: »
    I also did a software update earlier, went from
    Software: AE_EV.EUR.SOP.003.17.161212
    Firmware: AE_EV.EUR.0.5.139.161118.MICOM
    Nav App: INT_AVN_MID.EUR.HMC.161209.100733
    to
    Software: AE_EV.EUR.SOP.005.3.170927
    Firmware: AE_EV.EUR.0.5.222.170920.MICOM
    Nav App: STD_AVN_MID.EUR.HMC.170927.a803344

Took about 10min max to apply via sd card.

You did it yourself yeah?

Care to share instructions/files? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Woot, you only have the car a day and you managed to do the update yourself that all of us thought could only be done by the dealer :eek:

Well wear. And only use sport mode!

You did it yourself yeah?

Care to share instructions/files? :D

Sure. I got them off a German EV forum, will post the links tomorrow.
    Only thing was having to clear 15gb free on my HDD ;) and finding a blank SD card to write the image to.
    Very simple to do.
    unkel wrote: »
    Woot, you only have the car a day and you managed to do the update yourself that all of us thought could only be done by the dealer :eek:

Well wear. And only use sport mode!

Only used sport mode, sure the leccy is free ;)

Anyone know if there's a VCDS type cable/software for Hyundai?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

rgunning wrote: »
    Got a letter today for a recall. "Some Ioniq models may experience a warning light coming on as a result of a failure of the control unit....".

What control unit?
    Not a clue. I'll ask when I get the car done.

Here's the links for the software update....
    FYI, do this at your own risk!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1crW6-dJCE_m35XGbV6fYHWVsbuqYVj7-/view?usp=sharing

He applied the MD5 to verify it wasn't modified, it wasn't fyi.
    (MD5 hash sum: 7826b87eff33099772d6396abffd2eb0)

Downloaded and unzipped, it's just over 1gb file and unzipped to over 15gb.

Then use any disk image software, I used one I already had installed though in the forum they were using Win32 Disk Imager. I've used it before, works well and is simple to use.

Then get a blank SD card, I used a spare 64gb I had, and write the IMG file to the card... It took about 20 min to write it.

Then once done. Get in your car, start it up, and when the head unit is on take out the maps SD. Put in your imaged SD and a menu pops up asking do you want to update.

Then it uploaded the update, reboots, then install 3 updates, reboots between each one. Last one takes a while, maybe 5-10 minutes so be patient... That last 96%-100% takes ages!

Then it will restore you old data. It restored most of mine just missing a few radio stations favourites.

Then once done it'll tell you, then take out the SD and put in the maps and you're done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

@lafors
    Good work!

You should start a new thread for it though. It will get buried in here like all the other Ioniq stuff and no one will be able to find it in a few weeks time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Is that an Irish Ioniq firmware update, I'll give it a shot today/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

To answer my own question, looks like the firmware is cross Europe.

Going to have to find an SD card :D

Update applied, now let's hope it fixes the annoying reset of the regen settings.

• Advertisement

1. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WH
    2. liamog - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    3. zale - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 171WH
    4. unkel - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    5. Mope - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    6. thelikelylad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171C
    7. woppers - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WX
    8. don't be at yourself - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171D
    9. Ballylad - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171CW
    10. Coconut Joe - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172D
    11. Macker - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 181D
    12. Fermi - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172MO
    13. Johnnyjohnjohns - Ioniq BEV - Aurora Silver - 172D
    14. this.lad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172
    15. CarefulNow! - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172D
    16. Moreilly - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172KE
    17. Neleven - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172 WW
    18. DglFlyer -Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171 CE
    19. jeremy_g - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171WW
    20. miamee - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 172D
    21. Cocolola - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172G
    22. RonanFarrell - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172G
    23. rgunning - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171D
    24. Doc el brown - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172WW
    25. Fitz213 - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    26. lafors - Ioniq BEV - - 181D

Can't believe we got 26 Ioniq EV owners in here already. Got to get myself an SD card off Amazon, only tiny capacity old ones lying around. Main reason to go to the dealer for the 15k service is now gone :D

On another note - any recommendation for a boot liner? Just go with the dealer one? Our UK brothers report it's about £60 from the dealer and £25 for a generic same size one from independent boot liner companies...

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭squishey

@unkel you can add me to that list as well :) Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 181D

going to give that update a go over the weekend

27. squishey - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 181D

squishey wrote: »
    @unkel you can add me to that list as well :) Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 181D

going to give that update a go over the weekend

Fair play, well wear. :D

Another Diesel not purchased ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

27. squishey - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 181D

No pHEVs yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭squishey

new firmware installed :) Hopefully sorts the forgetting of settings.

Win32DiskImager didn't work for me - car didn't recognise the update. Used Rufus instead and it worked first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Is there a need to use winter tyres on the Ioniq? I notice on a number of videos that the wheels can spin when taking off in normal driving or is it just a case of getting used to a lighter foot on the accelerator?

I use Etcher https://etcher.io/ to burn my images.

Had a good run around in the Ioniq today. Android Auto was always unstable on my wifes phone, seemed much more stable after the update and didn't disconnect at all.

• Advertisement

JackieChan wrote: »
    Is there a need to use winter tyres on the Ioniq? I notice on a number of videos that the wheels can spin when taking off in normal driving or is it just a case of getting used to a lighter foot on the accelerator?

Winter tyres are recommended at 7 deg C and below temps. A lot of people say they're not needed in Ireland but there are several times of the year temps are below this.

Some people install all season tyres but they're a jack of all trades and a master of none.

If possible you're be far better off with a another set of rims and install proper winter tyres.

I guarantee a lot of people will wish they had them after this week is out, myself included.

I have a lot of experience with proper snow tyres because I used to work in a job that required travelling all over Wicklow 6 days a week and a day I did not travel meant not getting paid.

And to tell you the difference they make, I used to pass several people stranded and used to pick up several people too who were left scratching their heads as to how I could get up all those hills.

So my motto is it's better to have them than want them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Also updated the firmware today. Had the car in for the service a couple of weeks ago and they didn't do it (I wonder what they did at all, to be honest...), so saves me a trip back.

Few issues when using OSX, so if it helps anybody else: unzipped the file using Terminal, and burned the image using etcher, linked above.

Took mine on its first decent trip this weekend. Went over to Westport from Dublin. On the way over I went the Galway route and stopped at Topaz in Ballinasloe. It was 161km on Google maps and I made it with 5km left on range and as I was about 200m from the station the car said it was limiting power? In hindsight I should have stopped at Enfield!!
    When I did stop there were 2 Nissan Leafs in front of me. I tried the CCS but it wouldn't work. The first guy didn't know why but the second guy said both CCS and Chademo use the same AC to DC components and you can only use one at a time. So we had to wait for both leafs to charge about 35min each and then 40 mins for me from nothing to 100%.
    Then the 136km to Westport and plugged in to one of the AC chargers right across from the hotel.
    On the way back I decided to do two stops. And drove in sport mode all the way. Stopped in Ballaghaderreen, took 19min on CCS back to 100%. Then stopped at Enfield. Something weird happened there, the car began charging and said 28min to full so I went into the service station and got something to eat. I came out and got in and it wasn't charging? I thought maybe it was finished, but then I saw it only took about 4% after I left the car. Next problem, I couldn't remove the CCS cable. It was stuck. The machine thought it wasn't in a car, the car knew it was there but wouldn't unlock it. I have no idea how it unlocked eventually. I must have powered the car on and off about 5 times and was beginning to panic. Anyway started the charge and it finished fine?

So how was the car, well it's fantastic to drive, overtaking is excellent, it's very smooth to drive, the lane assist is excellent its like an aid that you forget is there but works well. The active cruise is just fantastic, any car I have in the future will have to have that.

Would I take it on a long drive like that again... No not unless I had to. The waiting of 1hr extra on the way down is ridiculous. If they installed a lot more fast chargers then grand but right now it's not convenient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

You'll get over the range anxiety. The longer journeys is where you save the most. The charger cable getting stuck is a known issue with the Ioniq and is a recall afaik. You should get it taken care of.

The public charging system is beyond inadequate, but will be improved this year and next. Glad you made it there and back without too much drama :) You were very unlucky though that you had 2 cars in front of you in that charger. Two Leafs at that, which charge very slowly. Did you talk to them? The done thing in EV circles is to have a little chat. Maybe they were just locals juicing up for free. If they realised you had a long journey ahead, they might have let you in front of them. It's a courtesy thing that most EV drivers get (but not all)

The charger being stuck is a recall. Your instincts were on the ball. Just lock / unlock the car a few times. If that doesn't work, there's an emergency release cable in the boot. But book the car into the dealer to get it permanently fixed. You already fixed the other remaining issue yourself: the outdated software that loses some settings once in a while

The "limiting power" thing is the turtle mode. A turtle showed up on your dash, but you might have been too stressed out to notice it :D

DC fast charger only goes to 94%, not 100%, before it disconnects

161km in winter is a big distance on a very cold day driving mainly motorways, you got there with 5km range left. What way did you drive the car and at what speeds?

The public charging system is beyond inadequate, but will be improved this year and next. Glad you made it there and back without too much drama :) You were very unlucky though that you had 2 cars in front of you in that charger. Two Leafs at that, which charge very slowly. Did you talk to them? The done thing in EV circles is to have a little chat. Maybe they were just locals juicing up for free. If they realised you had a long journey ahead, they might have let you in front of them. It's a courtesy thing that most EV drivers get (but not all)

I spoke to both, they were both locals too and I did mention that I was travelling from Dublin to Westport. They were more interested in asking me about the Ioniq :rolleyes:
    The charger being stuck is a recall. Your instincts were on the ball. Just lock / unlock the car a few times. If that doesn't work, there's an emergency release cable in the boot. But book the car into the dealer to get it permanently fixed. You already fixed the other remaining issue yourself: the outdated software that loses some settings once in a while

Cool I'll do that, but any idea why the hell it just stopped after 3 percent or so? Same issue? And what is the fix, is it software or hardware?
    The "limiting power" thing is the turtle mode. A turtle showed up on your dash, but you might have been too stressed out to notice it :D

Never noticed a turtle :D I'd have been more stressed if it happened on the motorway! What speed does it limit too? Can you override it?
    DC fast charger only goes to 94%, not 100%, before it disconnects

Ah that makes sense, because it was saying 1min left at 93%! I was like how can it do that 7% in a minute, I just thought the timing was off :)
    161km in winter is a big distance on a very cold day driving mainly motorways, you got there with 5km range left. What way did you drive the car and at what speeds?

In Dublin before I got to the M50 I was just driving as normal as I would locally. It was in Sport mode with regenerative set to 3 (I always have it set to 3). Then when I hit the motorway I put it in Normal and set the cruise to 120 and then to 100 on the N4 until the M4 and set it to 125 until just before athlone where I set it to 105. Very little traffic on the way.

I see at Enfield there is a spot for a second charger there but none installed, has that been there for long or is it for a new one?

One other thing I found crazy, I turned off the regenerative breaking at one stage on the way back yesterday to seeing how stong it was and the thing was freewheeling for ages! It was very weird, I prefer the feel with the regenerative on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Never noticed a turtle :D I'd have been more stressed if it happened on the motorway! What speed does it limit too? Can you override it?

Thats like asking, "the petrol light came on in my car, can I override it and keep driving!" :)

You can keep driving (thus overriding it) but it will stop abruptly pretty soon after.

When you hit turtle mode in an EV it means you only have a few km's of range left and need to get yourself off the road to a safe place. The "few km's" VERY much depends on how fast you are driving. If you slow right down you will get further but if you keep driving at 120km/h you can expect it to stop dead within a km or so.

Turtle is basically last chance saloon to park up the car safely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Only time I ever got turtle in a Leaf I was driving uphill. Got another 100 yards and then conked out.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Only time I ever got turtle in a Leaf I was driving uphill. Got another 100 yards and then conked out.

Something I've not thought of but what do you do if you run out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Same as you do in an ICE car.
    Refuel.

Depending on location you may need a flatbed to get to a plug.
    I ran out and rolled to a charger once. 130km in a 24kWh leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

Ah that makes sense, because it was saying 1min left at 93%! I was like how can it do that 7% in a minute, I just thought the timing was off :)

you can charge the remaining 6% on an AC slow charge point. DC Fast (Quick) charge is limited to max 94% to protect the battery.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

You call breakdown assistance and get towed to the nearest charging point :)

Worst thing was I was less than a mile from home. And I drove past 2 FCPs on the trip while thinking (ah, I'll be grand).

I even had a last chance while on "very low battery charge" warning as there is a hotel a mile and a half from my house, before the 1 mile uphill charge to home. I could have pulled in there and begged for a granny charge for half an hour.

Even when I had hit turtle, I could have managed a u-turn and crawled back down the hill to the hotel but I soldiered on.

Spent 90 minutes waiting for a truck to take me the half mile home.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Even when I had hit turtle, I could have managed a u-turn and crawled back down the hill to the hotel but I soldiered on.

Spent 90 minutes waiting for a truck to take me the half mile home.

I would've turn the car downhill, set the regen to 3 and charge some to get to the nearest chargepoint instead of waiting 90 minutes :D

That free wheeling you noticed is actually more efficient than using regen, use regen when you need to brake. Regen consumes energy coasting does not.

The thing with EV driving is if you are at 50% and you're passing a charger then charge for 10 mins and move on if it guarantees you'll make the next destination/charger etc.

If you got an EV that drives around 200 Kms then understand that you need to be actually charging at this point so by 180 Kms you should be very very close to a charger or AC point this is why I say that at 50% charge on a long trip charge up for 10 mins or whatever and on to the next charger or destination.

The charging infrastructure is a joke and one major reason I chose an EV that does not have to rely on it and the difference is amazing.

It will be at least another year before we see any real improvement and in 3 years I hope significantly better, although I said the same 3 years ago when I first got the Leaf .........

That free wheeling you noticed is actually more efficient than using regen, use regen when you need to brake. Regen consumes energy coasting does not.

The thing with EV driving is if you are at 50% and you're passing a charger then charge for 10 mins and move on if it guarantees you'll make the next destination/charger etc.

If you got an EV that drives around 200 Kms then understand that you need to be actually charging at this point so by 180 Kms you should be very very close to a charger or AC point this is why I say that at 50% charge on a long trip charge up for 10 mins or whatever and on to the next charger or destination.

The charging infrastructure is a joke and one major reason I chose an EV that does not have to rely on it and the difference is amazing.

He should have got a car with a Rex and 6.6kW AC charging right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

ELM327 wrote: »
    :cough: 11kW AC

jeremy_g wrote: »
    I would've turn the car downhill, set the regen to 3 and charge some to get to the nearest chargepoint instead of waiting 90 minutes :D

I couldn't turn it downhill once it had completely conked out.

Haha I didn't open my mouth !

;)
    I chose an EV that does not have to rely on it and the difference is amazing.

You arent even aware you're doing it anymore so :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

You arent even aware you're doing it anymore so :pac::pac::pac:

No no, I didn't mention the war :pac:

One other thing I found crazy, I turned off the regenerative breaking at one stage on the way back yesterday to seeing how stong it was and the thing was freewheeling for ages! It was very weird

Yes it still feels crazy to me too, almost a year on. I don't do it much, I usually leave the regen breaking on, but if you are getting low, it is a very easy hypermiling technique to use. Ioniq is the most efficient car ever tested by the EPA (of all cars, not just EVs) and I'd say the unreal coasting is a part of it.
    In Dublin before I got to the M50 I was just driving as normal as I would locally. It was in Sport mode with regenerative set to 3 (I always have it set to 3). Then when I hit the motorway I put it in Normal and set the cruise to 120 and then to 100 on the N4 until the M4 and set it to 125 until just before athlone where I set it to 105.

That's good going. A range of 166km on a very cold day in winter mostly motorways and mostly at 120km/h. With cruise control most of the way, which uses quite a bit more energy than manual driving. You were not unlucky to get to your charger :)

BTW the recall is the replacement of a physical part. I got a letter in the post today myself for it. As someone else said, it is quite vague and it mentions "an internal failure of the control unit". This might be a different issue from the charging issue (actuator?). I'm hitting 14k tomorrow, so will book mine in for the 15k inspection within the next week or so. Will post back here if I have any update.

I spoke to both, they were both locals too and I did mention that I was travelling from Dublin to Westport. They were more interested in asking me about the Ioniq :rolleyes:

EV drivers are mostly good folk caring about the EV community. And there is only just over 1 EV for every 1000 other cars in Ireland. Still a good few arseholes about though, like you found out yourself :(

Forgot to say, if you run out, Ioniq comes with AA membership (I don't know for how long), so just ring them, they are the best and the fastest (in the Dublin area for sure)

And once that runs out, almost all comp insurance policies have free tow away service too.

They will tow you to the nearest charger (or to your home if that's a reasonable option)

BTW the recall is the replacement of a physical part. I got a letter in the post today myself for it. As someone else said, it is quite vague and it mentions "an internal failure of the control unit". This might be a different issue from the charging issue (actuator?). I'm hitting 14k tomorrow, so will book mine in for the 15k inspection within the next week or so. Will post back here if I have any update.

We had the charging port actuator changed last Friday. It's the bit that has been known to get stuck when charging the car.

The new recall is for a potential problem with the ECU, something internal may drip onto the ECU causing it problems, apparently they need to open her up and look at the ECU with a UV light, the lad in Hutton & Meade said he'd checked a few and so far none had an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bif

Anyone have an idea what the straight price for a new Ioniq is at the moment and what is the lead time on delivery? Thanks.

You have to talk to the dealers. Some have demo models they might sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭3DataModem

You have to talk to the dealers. Some have demo models they might sell.

There’s very few in country. You can get a white one at the moment, but nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

3DataModem wrote: »
    There’s very few in country. You can get a white one at the moment, but nothing else.

Trye. Lady friend of my BIL ordered one last week. Only white available. Don’t know about delivery time.

Her repayments match her fuel bill.

• Advertisement

goz83 wrote: »
    Her repayments match her fuel bill.

Jesus. So essentially buying a brand new car is cheaper for her than keeping her old car total cost of ownership.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement