Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

peaceboi wrote: »
    Then why is the high beam light colour different? Low beam is milky white & high beam like the normal halogen bulb yellow colour ye?��

You are right, cheeky gits, twin led.....only the headlights not the high beam.
    BTW I replied to you on speakev. Someone has replaced but they needed a new cover, thankfully he uploaded his 3d print, time to go order LEDs and then print some at home later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Thank you liamog & unkel for your kind suggestions & advice. Got the new plates & black wrap done.

Thank you liamog & unkel for your kind suggestions & advice. Got the new plates & black wrap done.

Was that you I saw out in blanch on Thurs afternoon?
    Though it was on UK? Plates?
    First one in that colour I've seen. It's more gold than yellow irl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

It actually looks nicer than the ads for the car. That nose wrap does wonders for it. Looks lovely.

Wear well.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

lafors wrote: »
    Was that you I saw out in blanch on Thurs afternoon?
    Though it was on UK? Plates?
    First one in that colour I've seen. It's more gold than yellow irl.

Yep, that was me before getting the Eire plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

It looks EXCELLENT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Interesting drive today. About 50km each way. Drove down starting with 70% battery. Not quite sure how it would work out, so drove down in sport mode (I always do) but with a light foot and driving myself. Driving at the speed limits (indicated, so in Ioniq this is 4km-5km lower than the real speed). It was dry and not that windy. As a first, I also switched off regen (to level 0). The way over took 24% of battery capacity. The distance the car can freewheel with zero regen is unreal. On the way back I had the car on active cruise, it was battering down with rain and also quite windy. And I set cruise at real GPS speed plus a few km/h. Took a shocking 36% capacity, or 50% more than driving only a fraction slower!

Interesting lesson learned. I'd say in summer in good weather, I could manage a range of about 250km on motorways (not exceeding 100km/h) or 300km on slower roads.

The freewheeling capability of this car is nothing short of amazing. It takes a bit of getting used to. A whole new style of driving is needed to get the best out of it.

It really suits a driver who is very aware of what is happening on a good bit ahead. Getting the foot off the throttle early can pay huge dividends in battery savings.

The i3 coasts forever no doubt helped by the efficient skinny tyres and high psi.

People used to laugh at me when I talked about pulse and glide in the Prius, but this is exactly what's happening here, coasting with a electric push to keep momentum going, not alien to me at all.

The difference here is the I3/Ioniq/Leaf etc can coast at any speed , the MK II Prius could do it only up to about 71 Kph.

I must try an efficient run in the i3 sometimes, it's just so much bloody fun that I can't keep from hammering the throttle or driving on the Motorway at 140 Kph.

Best I got so far was about 13 Kwh/100 km under 100 kph , I was able to manage about 12 in the Ioniq over similar run.

One thing I thought would have worked much better was variable regen on the flappy paddle in the Ioniq, I thought the 3 presets were annoying to keep adjusting.

The i3 bugs me in that you can't adjust regen but I'm getting more used to it, I still get variable regen on the throttle.

The i3's regen isn't nearly as strong as the Ioniqs but it works much better then my old Leaf, the Leaf used to give max regen then as speed reduced so did Regen until you pressed the brake which would then give you max regen again, the i3 gives you max regen practically to stop, in fact most of the time you can get to a full stop with no brake pedal at all.

the difference between the i3 and the Ioniq is that you don't have to lift off as early in the Ioniq.

The paddles come into their own when something unexpected happens and you need to burn off speed. Pull and hold the + paddle brings full regen. Touching the brake brings on regen and the harder the braking, the higher the regen.

It could be argued that the paddles are superfluous , that the brake pedal does the same thing. But, being able to choose how much regen to use is very handy. For instance, I live on a windy single track road. For about 2 kms I can use the throttle, with full regen, for one pedal driving. Then when I get to the straight stretch, I can pull and hold the - paddle to knock regen off completely. Once you get used to it, it becomes second nature.

• Advertisement

Oh definitely having the 3 settings alone makes a big difference, It would be nice if BMW gave more regen options.

I think EV manufacturers like to sell the idea of one pedal driving but to be honest this means you have to be continuously adjusting the throttle with your foot or you end up with max regen when you lift off, I'm more used to it now but would rather a system like the Ioniq or full variable regen with the flappy padel. It can be uncomfortable at times on your foot.

Pressing the brake is fine but the problem is that it usually gives you a lot more regen than you want. Anyway probably a minor issue really most people won't care and accept it as a feature of electric cars.

I also know why BMW did not allow more regen power, it's because the cells they use ( in the 94 Ah ) have extremely high cycle live, 3200 cycles to 80% which is fantastic, which in theory would allow over 500,000 Kms to 80% time will tell. But as a consequence energy and power density suffers, which means the ability to take higher charge and discharge currents known in the battery world as the "C rate".

At 50 Kw they're going above spec at the fast charger but the AC cooling takes care of any heat.

Highest temp I've seen on the i3 is 25 Deg C even after a long blast at 140 Kph.

When I drove home one evening after work I monitored this and by the time I got off the M9 to the house it was down at 22 Deg which was pretty fast cooling, I presume it wouldn't cool any further because at 22 degrees that's pretty much optimum temp.

I would like to see how it copes with a few fast charges in a day , how hot it gets.

It would be nice to know how effective the fan in the Ioniq is and how hot it gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The paddles come into their own when something unexpected happens and you need to burn off speed. Pull and hold the + paddle brings full regen. Touching the brake brings on regen and the harder the braking, the higher the regen.

It could be argued that the paddles are superfluous , that the brake pedal does the same thing. But, being able to choose how much regen to use is very handy. For instance, I live on a windy single track road. For about 2 kms I can use the throttle, with full regen, for one pedal driving. Then when I get to the straight stretch, I can pull and hold the - paddle to knock regen off completely. Once you get used to it, it becomes second nature.
    The regen/coasting in the Ioniq sounds great. I've gotten 200,000 miles out of the front brake pads on my current diesel car by reading the road and knowing my route (less than 20% of which is mway) So the ability to adjust regen from nothing to strong deceleration via paddles would really suit me I think.

Depends on preference each person is different, a lot of people love the i3 one pedal driving.

Doesn't matter what EV you have you can have variable or no regen on the throttle but it's just easier to coast in the Ioniq with regen 0 but it's really not that difficult to get in any ev. I would say it's easier in the i3 than Leaf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Hi All,
    anyone had a full list of any recalls that have happened on the car? I've almost pulled the trigger on buying one in the UK and want to give the UK dealer a check list of stuff.
    ...thanks in advance...

Hi All,
    anyone had a full list of any recalls that have happened on the car? I've almost pulled the trigger on buying one in the UK and want to give the UK dealer a check list of stuff.
    ...thanks in advance...

Also, any recommendations on e.g. Installer (I'm in galway) or recommended charge point if I was to get my own......and of anything else I should worry about ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Also, any recommendations on e.g. Installer (I'm in galway) or recommended charge point if I was to get my own......and of anything else I should worry about ...

You get a grant now for installation.

It will have to be from a list as far as I'm aware.

Car doesn't need to be new anymore to avail of install but not free anymore.

Hi All,
    ...thanks in advance...

Off the top of my head there 3:

1. brakes - only on cars built before March 2017
    2. ECU - it's an inspection. They may or may not have to replace it
    3. Charge point actuator - they will replace it

And 1 further know issue that the charging and drive mode settings get set back to defaults now and then. This is fixed with the latest firmware upgrade. My car has only suffered this issue so far. Have the car a year this week.

Oh definitely having the 3 settings

4 settings. 0, 1, 2 and 3 ;)
    People used to laugh at me when I talked about pulse and glide in the Prius

Nothing to laugh about, but pulse and glide is anti-social behaviour unless there is nobody else around.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The reason for pulse and glide is running an inefficient motor at it's optimum high torque mode then disengaging the motor until an opportunity to pulse back to the high torque mode.

The biggest benefit has been found in standard ICE vehicles, though the technique was relatively popular in parallel hybrids such as the Prius.

EVs have a much more efficient toque curve, effectively the same at all points, so pulse and glide loses it's effectiveness.
    Where the Ioniq really comes into it's own is drive and glide :D you drive the car in a steady way and slow down very gradually towards a planned stop or decrease in speed. Remember every time you regen, you are just recovering energy you've wasted due to going to fast for future road conditions. In the real world this would be infuriating, I think it might take me 1km to slow down from 60km/h for a traffic light with no regen and everyone would go bonkers behind me.

I'm not really that concerned with efficiency. The main worry I have is when does the brake light come on? Does it not come on at all when we are using regen braking (not using the friction pads on disks)? If not, that would be a safety issue imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I’ve tested this in the dark when driving. The brake light has came on at levels 2 and 3, but not level 1.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

How likely are Hyundai to bring back a scrappage deal on the Ioniq?

Is there still a large waiting list for a 181?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

You can add me to the growing list of Ioniq owners now (181 W 2***, polar white). Got the car on Wednesday. Didn't really want white, but that was the only option. Still, it looks good, since it hasn't yet picked up any dirt.

Thanks very much to all who've replied to my questions on here - your experience has been invaluable in giving me the confidence to move from my trusty diesel Accord to this very impressive new machine.

Haven't experienced any long waits at chargers yet, or the dreaded range anxiety, but give me time! Got from Waterford to Cork and back without a hitch on Saturday, which has given me the confidence to try Dublin on Thursday, although I'm sure Dublin will be a horse of a different colour! Anyway, I have all day, and if I have to spend an hour at a slow charger to get a few precious extra kms, it's no problem.

fricatus wrote: »
    You can add me to the growing list of Ioniq owners now (181 W 2***, polar white). Got the car on Wednesday. Didn't really want white, but that was the only option. Still, it looks good, since it hasn't yet picked up any dirt.

Thanks very much to all who've replied to my questions on here - your experience has been invaluable in giving me the confidence to move from my trusty diesel Accord to this very impressive new machine.

Haven't experienced any long waits at chargers yet, or the dreaded range anxiety, but give me time! Got from Waterford to Cork and back without a hitch on Saturday, which has given me the confidence to try Dublin on Thursday, although I'm sure Dublin will be a horse of a different colour! Anyway, I have all day, and if I have to spend an hour at a slow charger to get a few precious extra kms, it's no problem.
    Wear well, good choice!. :cool:

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »

Nothing to laugh about, but pulse and glide is anti-social behaviour unless there is nobody else around.

rubbish, you still don't get it , :pac:

Pulse and glide works in many traffic circumstances noting wrong with it and it's certainly not dangerous.

A lot of people saw people demonstrating it in videos and instantly dismissed it as annoying to other drivers because they were deliberately driving in that manner for demonstrating purposes.

Pulse and glide is essentially what people are doing with the Ioniq or any EV, 0 regen with a push of the motor to keep momentum going.

By the way regen consumes energy so if you can do most of your driving using as little regen as possible then you're driving as efficiently as possible using most of the energy consumed to move the car. When you need to use the extra force of regen to slow you down then this is fine because you're otherwise be using the friction brakes.

rubbish, you still don't get it

:rolleyes:

I know what it is. Not keeping a constant speed on say a national road is anti-social. Unless there is nobody behind you.

Fine of course in the driving lane on a motorway, where people can easily and safely overtake you.

fricatus wrote: »
    You can add me to the growing list of Ioniq owners now (181 W 2***, polar white). Got the car on Wednesday. Didn't really want white, but that was the only option.

Well wear!

I'm no fan of the white either, but have the grill wrapped in glossy black. Ditto for the roof, and have the windows tinted. It will transform the car.

I watched a few videos on pulse and glide and tried it on my journeys today M50/N4 by God is it annoying both to do and for the people around you. The rolling resistance is nothing so it's great to roll but on a road with any cars at all it's rather annoying, problem is people are very very impatient in Ireland...as I am too.
    I'm perfectly happy putting it into sport mode and using active cruise for the motorways. No problem for me though as I get at least 2 days from a charge so I know I can drive as I like and still have loads left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Reading this I'm starting to think I'm an asshole driver. If I see a light go red up ahead I roll up to the lights going down through the gears as necessary. It wouldn't bother me if I was 100m away or more as long as I'm fairly confident I'll get there before they go green. This is in an ICE by the way, can't afford to go electric yet.

GarIT wrote: »
    Reading this I'm starting to think I'm an asshole driver. If I see a light go red up ahead I roll up to the lights going down through the gears as necessary. It wouldn't bother me if I was 100m away or more as long as I'm fairly confident I'll get there before they go green. This is in an ICE by the way, can't afford to go electric yet.

I think that what you describe is a bit different from fluctuating your speed on a busy motorway....
    IE the people behind you are going to have to stop anyway for the same light. If I was behind a person on a motorway constantly fluctuating between 130 and then gliding to 110 and then accelerating to 130 and gliding again, then that would annoy the ****e outta me.... but in fairness I don't think anyone is advocating that either

:rolleyes:

I know what it is. Not keeping a constant speed on say a national road is anti-social. Unless there is nobody behind you.

Fine of course in the driving lane on a motorway, where people can easily and safely overtake you.

No , you do not get it or are deliberately trying to wind me up.

Pulse and glide got bad rep because youtube demonstrators showed driving at slower speeds (for the video) deemed annoying, but the fact is that there are many instances where speeds up to 71 Kph are perfectly acceptable...... Christ how hard is this for someone to get ?

I’ve tested this in the dark when driving. The brake light has came on at levels 2 and 3, but not level 1.

Cheers for that. That's exactly what it should be imho. Bit of a relief as I was a bit worried that there wasn't a brake light when you are quite clearly braking (levels 2 and 3)

Level 1 is probably like most ICE cars engine breaking in a high gear
    or even coasting. No need for a brake light here.

No , you do not get it or are deliberately trying to wind me up.

Pulse and glide means you are not keeping a constant speed, right? A car in front of you not driving at a constant speed (that you can't easily overtake) is annoying. What the hell do you not understand about that? :confused:

A premium SE Ioniq came up today for under £20k from a Hyundai dealer in Nottingham

Linky

That won't be around long. For anyone not in the know, that's the version that's not available in Ireland and it's even more loaded. Standard leather seats, blind spot warning, rear seats heated (as well as fronts), front park distance sensors (as well as rears), etc. Get a cheap flight and ferry and you can land that here for around €23k

A premium SE Ioniq came up today for under £20k from a Hyundai dealer in Nottingham

Linky

That won't be around long. For anyone not in the know, that's the version that's not available in Ireland and it's even more loaded. Standard leather seats, blind spot warning, rear seats heated (as well as fronts), front park distance sensors (as well as rears), etc. Get a cheap flight and ferry and you can land that here for around €23k
    The one you linked isn't an SE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That one - FL17UKY - has been for sale for some time.

Linky

I don't think that is an SE though. No leather seats?

I took the ad's word for it, didn't look to closely, apologies!
    ELM327 wrote: »
    That one - FL17UKY - has been for sale for some time.

At under 20 grand? That would be a surprise!

• Advertisement

on a semi related note - 30 seconds ago I bought an SE from the UK...... planning to go get it on Saturday....all going well, depends on speed to bank transfer...
    The blue SE mentioned a few pages back from Richard in SE Petch in Newcastle....yeah for me..... most I've ever spend on anything (bar my house).... does anyone need a high spec renault laguna?

Pulse and glide means you are not keeping a constant speed, right? A car in front of you not driving at a constant speed (that you can't easily overtake) is annoying. What the hell do you not understand about that? :confused:

There are plenty of situations where you are slowing down and can coast a lot further without the need to keep your foot on the gas.

You can be going down a hill or slight descent which can allow the car to coast at decent speeds.

What do you not understand about that ? :confused: :pac: ;)

There are plenty of situations where you are slowing down and can coast a lot further without the need to keep your foot on the gas.

You can be going down a hill or slight descent which can allow the car to coast at decent speeds.

What do you not understand about that ? :confused: :pac: ;)

You know what I don't understand is ye still arguing over it :pac:
    Anyway take it out of the Ioniq thread and make one for it, it would actually be a good thread to see how others are driving their EVs, we might all learn something :D

Alrighty boardies, I need your help....
    How do I get my new car from Durham (Just south of Newcastle)
    I need to

1. Book a flight
    2. Book a ferry 8pm from Holyhead (with flexible ticket)
    3. Download, create account and add Card to ecotricity app (can anyone confirm if there are any issues with Irish credit / debit cards being registered on this app)
    4. Make sure car is updated, valeted, recall issues addressed.
    5. Make sure car is fully charged
    6. Fill out HRM Form 411 for Vat exemption
    7. Get invoice with 0% VAT clearly showing
    8. Take Full V5 form dealers
    9. Plan route - it's slightly over 400km to Holyhead. Assuming recharge every 140km or so
    10. Try to get full charge in Holyhead
    11. Arrive in Dublin, go to Enfield and fast charge (will have to dial 24 hour number if credit/debit card does not work)
    12. Take it handy from Enfield onwards as may need to get as far as Oranmore fast charger if Ballinasloe is out of action and Kilbeggen is closed for the night.
    13. Charge in Oranmore (or Ballinasloe if available)
    14. Bring charging cable for phone....

Good grief that's a 650km drive to bring it home..... might want to plan for overnight stay in Wales or Dublin..... might also bring someone for company..

Once I get home I
    15. Set up inspection with NCT to pay VAT, confirm no VRT is due, get registration etc

Any advice or ideas on what I might be missing....

<EDIT>
    has anyone advice on a home charger. I believe I should be going for a Type 2 32amp 7.2 kWh. Has anyone any specific recommendations? Am I right in saying that if I get one untethered then the cable the comes with the car will work (something like this -

I'm based in Galway, does anyone know of any local suppliers / installers around galway?
    At this point I'm thinging of just buying on direct and getting a local electrician to install. If I go down this route where is the best palce to buy. I know they are on amazon but are they anywhere else? (I've already applied for the home charger grant on Monday)

Alrighty boardies, I need your help....
    How do I get my new car from Durham (Just south of Newcastle)
    I need to

11. Arrive in Dublin, go to Enfield and fast charge (will have to dial 24 hour number if credit/debit card does not work)
    12. Take it handy from Enfield onwards as may need to get as far as Oranmore fast charger if Ballinasloe is out of action and Kilbeggen is closed for the night.
    13. Charge in Oranmore (or Ballinasloe if available)
    14. Bring charging cable for phone....

<EDIT>
    has anyone advice on a home charger. I believe I should be going for a Type 2 32amp 7.2 kWh. Has anyone any specific recommendations? Am I right in saying that if I get one untethered then the cable the comes with the car will work (something like this -

I'm based in Galway, does anyone know of any local suppliers / installers around galway?
    At this point I'm thinging of just buying on direct and getting a local electrician to install. If I go down this route where is the best palce to buy. I know they are on amazon but are they anywhere else? (I've already applied for the home charger grant on Monday)

11. FYI any RFID will work like a leap card. You can be waiting a while for them to answer the phone!
    12/13. Ballinasloe should be grand.
    14. Car has a qi charger for your phone if you have it, cable if you want Android auto or airplay.

As for the home charger I used electric autos in Kildare and can't fault them. They use KN to do their installs. Got the Zappi 32a charger with tethered type 2 cable. Definitely the way to go if you don't want to be putting you cable in and out of your boot all the time. One thing to note though, the tethered cable isn't that long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I had no issues using ecotricity and an Irish debit card. Your card will have a hold of a few £ more than the actual cost for each use but will clear up after a few days.
    Maybe work in a trip to Cheshire oaks on the way back.
    Is it a brand new car or demo, how much mileage?
    Has the dealer agreed to the vat411 form?
    You could get a cabin on the ferry, after a few hours sleep you're brand new again for the return leg.

lafors wrote: »
    As for the home charger I used electric autos in Kildare and can't fault them. They use KN to do their installs......
    thanks, I contacted them and in fairness they got back fairly quickly but don't organise installs anymore.
    So if I was to get it myself and paid an electrician am I right in sating that I get one of these ans ask the electrican to get a priority switch (I've an electric shower) and some 6 or 10 sq mm cabling...

stesaurus wrote: »
    I had no issues using ecotricity and an Irish debit card. Your card will have a hold of a few £ more than the actual cost for each use but will clear up after a few days.
    Maybe work in a trip to Cheshire oaks on the way back.
    Is it a brand new car or demo, how much mileage?
    Has the dealer agreed to the vat411 form?
    You could get a cabin on the ferry, after a few hours sleep you're brand new again for the return leg.

thanks for the info
    Car is this one
    So it's a 2018 demo.
    No issues with the vat 411 and ex VAT quote / invoice etc. Richard (sales manager) was very easy and pleasant to deal with. I strongly suspect that he had been educated, possibly by a boardsie, who was previously looking at the car.
    Re Cheshire Oaks - don't think I could buy anything, still very traumatised by the amount of money I've just spent....

Either way, I'll take is easy on the way back, if I miss the ferry sure I'll book into a b&B or hotel for the night. I hear that Holyhead is just fab!

I'd consider taking the Liverpool ferry. Nice and quiet and dirt cheap on early hour crossings during the week. Far easier to get to from Newcastle as well on a trip that's exiting, but also a bit stressful as a first time EV owner and range limitations you don't yet know well.

That Rolec charger is quite expensive and they don't have the best reputation. I'd get a Zappi for similar money or even less. Handy if (when) you install some solar PV in future too. And iirc it has built in load balancing functionality.

• Advertisement

I'd consider taking the Liverpool ferry. Nice and quiet and dirt cheap on early hour crossings during the week. Far easier to get to from Newcastle as well on a trip that's exiting, but also a bit stressful as a first time EV owner and range limitations you don't yet know well.

That Rolec charger is quite expensive and they don't have the best reputation. I'd get a Zappi for similar money or even less. Handy if (when) you install some solar PV in future too. And iirc it has built in load balancing functionality.

Thanks unkel,
    I assume a priority switch would still be needed and the load balancing would be limited to multiple evs or managing variable renewable energy sources erc?
    Good idea on liverpool, might be a better options

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement