Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

Seemingly the Rolec chargers are indeed not very reliable, I've seen pics of the internals burnt out.

Priority switch would be needed for the likes of electric showers but anyone with central heating doesn't need an electric shower, they need pumped showers only they waste the hot water in the tank, so if you got an electric shower it would be really wise to get rid of it, you'll love the power of a pumped only shower.

As for 2 x electric cars charging then get a 32 amp and 16 amp EVSE so the max load draw would be about 10.5 Kw.

The EV needing the most charge can use the 32 amp provided it has a 32 amp charger.

But at 10.5 Kw you might have to upgrade your single phase supply if you find it hard to manage loads during charging. Blow the ESB fuse in the meter box and the ESB could make you upgrade your supply they won't be happy if the fuse keeps blowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

thanks for the info
    Car is this one
    So it's a 2018 demo.
    No issues with the vat 411 and ex VAT quote / invoice etc. Richard (sales manager) was very easy and pleasant to deal with. I strongly suspect that he had been educated, possibly by a boardsie, who was previously looking at the car.
    Re Cheshire Oaks - don't think I could buy anything, still very traumatised by the amount of money I've just spent....

Either way, I'll take is easy on the way back, if I miss the ferry sure I'll book into a b&B or hotel for the night. I hear that Holyhead is just fab!
    Guilty as gharged. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

Just one small thing... Kilbeggan is not closed for the night. Confirmed by talking to staff. They do not close the gate, somebody is there all the time.
    Alrighty boardies, I need your help....
    How do I get my new car from Durham (Just south of Newcastle)
    I need to

1. Book a flight
    2. Book a ferry 8pm from Holyhead (with flexible ticket)
    3. Download, create account and add Card to ecotricity app (can anyone confirm if there are any issues with Irish credit / debit cards being registered on this app)
    4. Make sure car is updated, valeted, recall issues addressed.
    5. Make sure car is fully charged
    6. Fill out HRM Form 411 for Vat exemption
    7. Get invoice with 0% VAT clearly showing
    8. Take Full V5 form dealers
    9. Plan route - it's slightly over 400km to Holyhead. Assuming recharge every 140km or so
    10. Try to get full charge in Holyhead
    11. Arrive in Dublin, go to Enfield and fast charge (will have to dial 24 hour number if credit/debit card does not work)
    12. Take it handy from Enfield onwards as may need to get as far as Oranmore fast charger if Ballinasloe is out of action and Kilbeggen is closed for the night.
    13. Charge in Oranmore (or Ballinasloe if available)
    14. Bring charging cable for phone....

Good grief that's a 650km drive to bring it home..... might want to plan for overnight stay in Wales or Dublin..... might also bring someone for company..

Once I get home I
    15. Set up inspection with NCT to pay VAT, confirm no VRT is due, get registration etc

Any advice or ideas on what I might be missing....

<EDIT>
    has anyone advice on a home charger. I believe I should be going for a Type 2 32amp 7.2 kWh. Has anyone any specific recommendations? Am I right in saying that if I get one untethered then the cable the comes with the car will work (something like this -

I'm based in Galway, does anyone know of any local suppliers / installers around galway?
    At this point I'm thinging of just buying on direct and getting a local electrician to install. If I go down this route where is the best palce to buy. I know they are on amazon but are they anywhere else? (I've already applied for the home charger grant on Monday)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

So got my service done today. Updated software and got checks and levels done. Cost €36. Couldn’t believe it.

Love this car more every day.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jeditraining1

I agree that the ROLEC product is completely crap however you do realise that the priority switches don't work with them and showers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I agree that the ROLEC product is completely crap however you do realise that the priority switches don't work with them and showers.

Hi, no I did not realise that. Which leads nicely to the next question....
    Would anyone recommend a EV charger that supports a priority switch (which presumably needs to be installed) for home that has existing electric shower...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Why so?

A priority switch just diverts power from the shower to the charge point and vice versa. Its no different to flipping the trip switch on the unit and turning it back on again.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

We've two electric showers, a ROLEC pedestal charger, and a priority switch.

The Ioniq is great, plug it at night, turn the shower on, power to charger stops due to priority switch, Ioniq charging stops, shower finishes, power goes back to the the charger, Ioniq charging resumes.
    The e-UP! is a bit more annoying, have to go and plug it out and in to make it charge again.

liamog wrote: »
    We've two electric showers, a ROLEC pedestal charger, and a priority switch.

The Ioniq is great, plug it at night, turn the shower on, power to charger stops due to priority switch, Ioniq charging stops, shower finishes, power goes back to the the charger, Ioniq charging resumes.
    The e-UP! is a bit more annoying, have to go and plug it out and in to make it charge again.

What the Ioniq does is exactly what should happen.
    The Leaf will be the same.

I dont know why the e-UP is different. Thats more an issue with the e-UP software than the charge point, imo, where it doesnt re-initialise the session during what is effectively a powercut. Maybe VW have updated firmware for the e-UP to fix that?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

KCross wrote: »
    What the Ioniq does is exactly what should happen.
    The Leaf will be the same.

I dont know why the e-UP is different. Thats more an issue with the e-UP software than the charge point, imo, where it doesnt re-initialise the session during what is effectively a powercut. Maybe VW have updated firmware for the e-UP to fix that?

I'm certain its the car, they updated the software when I got it serviced. It's not a big enough issue to bother me tbh.

I was more trying to make point that Rolecs and priority switches work fine ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Change the showers for pumped ones Liam. Cheaper to run, much more powerful shower and issue with the e-UP is sorted :D

unkel wrote: »
    Change the showers for pumped ones Liam. Cheaper to run, much more powerful shower and issue with the e-UP is sorted :D

It's in the plan, want to switch to a combi boiler and EVOhome all in one go, will change showers at the same time. The ensuite needs replacing soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Reckon Hyundai will introduce a scrappage deal on the Ioniq?

Was there one previously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭oinkely

Hi Folks,

Looking for an ioniq in the UK for my parents. They want to buy through a VAT registered company so can they buy it no vat? would this be a complicated process for a dealer to sort out?

And any recommendations on autotrader at the moment?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201801303219369?sort=price-asc&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&radius=1500&postcode=bt11df&model=IONIQ&advertising-location=at_cars&make=HYUNDAI&fuel-type=Electric&page=1

saw that one but think it's too new as less than 6 months old. Does that matter if not paying UK VAT anyway?

Cheers

and what extras does premium SE get above leather? They are not too fussed about leather.

oinkely wrote: »
    and what extras does premium SE get above leather? They are not too fussed about leather.

The main things from the top of my head are leather seats, heated rear seats, front park distance control and blind spot warning. But I'm sure I've missed something there

Reckon Hyundai will introduce a scrappage deal on the Ioniq?

Not a hope. They can sell the cars at full list price, so why would they? We are lucky we are not in the USA where Hyundai dealers are not ashamed to put $3000 / $4000 markups on the full list price / RRP of Ioniq Electric. Because they can.
    Was there one previously?

Yes there was :D

Without it, I wouldn't have bought Ioniq. Have the car a year tomorrow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I was waiting for that part.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

80sDiesel wrote: »

Not far off Mad_Lad and the t-rex now :)

thierry14 wrote: »

Huh ?

• Advertisement

Why? :confused:

Should I be ashamed that in my very limited budget I could just about afford a €25k on the road EV? And that I got my Ioniq with metallic paint on the road for €25k all in?

I would not have bought the car if it would have been €30k incl metallic paint and delivery as it seems to be now. And even at that it seems to be good value compared to other fully electric cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

thierry14 wrote: »

:) Yup. Its a bit of copy and paste for Unkel and Mad_Lad these days.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Now you know how I feel every day here unkel !:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

:) Yup. Its a bit of copy and paste for Unkel and Mad_Lad these days.
    Imagine the circle they would have if there was a rex Ioniq on sale for 25k with scrappage and 11kW AC charging.:D:D:D:D

I'd say there's be a lot more appreciation for Rex like ioniq if one were available especially given the state of the charging network.

11 Kw ac is really great, a lot better than 6.6 Kw ;) especially when there are so few CCS chargers and 0 near me but 22 Kw AC in most half decent towns.

There was a lady on IEVOA facebook a few months ago who took her child to hospital in her ioniq and a charger was down I guarantee you she would have greatly appreciated the Rex, she was so annoyed that she said she's think twice before taking the ioniq again especially taking a child to hospital, I have no such worries !

People can take the p1ss all they want , I thought the Network would have greatly improved by now along with EV range, didn't happen, not as much as a single charger gone in since what, middle of 2015 ? bollocks to that. Long live the Rex ! :pac:

I'd say there's be a lot more appreciation for Rex like ioniq if one were available especially given the state of the charging network.

11 Kw ac is really great, a lot better than 6.6 Kw ;) especially when there are so few CCS chargers and 0 near me but 22 Kw AC in most half decent towns.

There was a lady on IEVOA facebook a few months ago who took her child to hospital in her ioniq and a charger was down I guarantee you she would have greatly appreciated the Rex, she was so annoyed that she said she's think twice before taking the ioniq again especially taking a child to hospital, I have no such worries !

People can take the p1ss all they want , I thought the Network would have greatly improved by now along with EV range, didn't happen, not as much as a single charger gone in since what, middle of 2015 ? bollocks to that. Long live the Rex ! :pac:

I'm only ripping the mick, Mad Lad. I understand your justification for the Rex. When I had the leaf and was delayed 3 hours going from Navan to Tipperary due to 2 out of order fast chargers on the M7 corridor I was cursing the same resolution myself.

I could pay 40k odd for a Rex i3, but for the same money I could have and run a super interesting ICE like a V10 e60 M5 bmw. Or for the same money I could buy a used model S with 300km+ EV range in the real world, with world class support and a better driving experience than the i3, with the ability to charge pretty much anywhere at at least "semi fast" 22kW.

The i3 is a half way house really, too expensive for mass adoption, too much of an EV to be a good ICE, too much of an ICE for an EVangelist like me to want, and too "moon car" looking. It's a tool for transport, whereas the cars I mentioned above (M5 Bmw and Tesla Model S) are so much more than that , for completely different reasons.

Most of the Model S were going over 46+ K after VRT, good spec So I'll wait and next time around I might get a better one cheaper. And I didn't want the hassle of importing, perhaps Tesla Ireland will have a good few by 2020 or perhaps brexit will screw that up.

A V10 is useless to me for commuting and I really don't care about burning a bit of petrol if it saves me the headache of waiting at charger queues or if I can't be bothered to charge.

The Model S is a big heavy tank too but I'll definitely check it out next time , for now the i3 is far too much fun to give a sh1t. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

So got my service done today. Updated software and got checks and levels done. Cost €36. Couldn’t believe it.

Love this car more every day.

Where did you get your car serviced?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

O Briens Hyundai Mullingar.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not a hope. They can sell the cars at full list price, so why would they? We are lucky we are not in the USA where Hyundai dealers are not ashamed to put $3000 / $4000 markups on the full list price / RRP of Ioniq Electric. Because they can.

Yes there was :D

I remember the Subaru dealers doing this in the US when the STI was first announced.

Jealous much? It's only human, fully understandable. If I were you I might very well have posted something similar. And I also wouldn't have been proud of my post looking back at it later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Does anyone know if the Ioniq PHEV was ever sold here? looks like a similar range to the outlander PHEV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Does anyone know if the Ioniq PHEV was ever sold here? looks like a similar range to the outlander PHEV?

They have sold 14 in Ireland since the start of the year.

With the higher grant, the PHEV is actually €500 cheaper to buy than the regular Ioniq hybrid.

So to any Ioniq users... what is the worst thing about the car for you?
    Particularly interested in the opinions of those who moved from a Leaf to an Ioniq.

I am aware there's no app support, which is a bummer, but apart from that?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

The annoying vess need to be switched off everytime you start the car!ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

ELM327 wrote: »
    Particularly interested in the opinions of those who moved from a Leaf to an Ioniq.

- Auto hold has to be switched on every time.
    - CCS fast chargers are rare (not Hyundai's fault in fairness, and I imagine the situation will improve soon)
    - No spare wheel (I once ripped a 4-5 cm gash in a tyre just pulling over for an ambulance and misjudging the kerb. I don't believe anyone who tells me that a "tyre mobility kit" would have got me going again).

For me it's

Auto Hold has to be switched on every time
    Sport Mode has to be set every time
    Zero Regen mode has to be set every time

There is a little bit too much power available from a stop, so you will occasionally spin the front tyres especially in the rain, hoping when we change tyres to get something with a bit more grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

liamog wrote: »
    For me it's

Auto Hold has to be switched on every time
    Sport Mode has to be set every time
    Zero Regen mode has to be set every time

There is a little bit too much power available from a stop, so you will occasionally spin the front tyres especially in the rain, hoping when we change tyres to get something with a bit more grip.

I think there might be a link between these :p

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Moreilly

very little i don't like about the car but if i was to be picky...

1. Main beam headlights should be LED, colour temperature difference between the dipped and main beam a bit annoying (auto dipping would be nice too..)

2. Sound quality from the sound system is just average

3. Road noise from the tyres could be a little more controlled.

Other than that, really love the car, best ive ever got so far and no regrets... :)

Will a 2017 car with less than 6000 km attract VAT etc? IE more than 6 months old, but less than the 6k km?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Will a 2017 car with less than 6000 km attract VAT etc? IE more than 6 months old, but less than the 6k km?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

Just go for a long drive!

Soarer wrote: »
    Just go for a long drive!
    Coincidentally I've heard that it takes (-(Odometer reading-6k))km to get to the VRT centre once the car is over 6 months old anyway :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

Coincidentally I've heard that it takes (-(Odometer reading-6k))km to get to the VRT centre once the car is over 6 months old anyway :D:D:D

Also, seeing as you have 30 days to register in the state, you could technically buy a 5 month 2 day old car, get the VRT appointment on the 30th day, and avoid the VAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

I checked my Zappi charger logs yesterday for my Ioniq.
    So far I've driven 2,666km and used 373kW on my home charge point costing me at my rate (inc. vat) €52.18.
    So it works out approx €0.02 per km so far.
    That is pretty impressive!
    Quite a bit cheaper than my 645ci ~ €0.20 per km never mind the tax and insurance!

Soarer wrote: »
    Also, seeing as you have 30 days to register in the state, you could technically buy a 5 month 2 day old car, get the VRT appointment on the 30th day, and avoid the VAT.

Would the VRT centre not go off the invoice date(or ferry date) and not the date of the VRT appointment?

I think the wording is that it has to be 6 months old when you import it, not when you VRT it.

I would not like to chance that without being 100% of that point. You could end up with a nasty unexpected VAT bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Ok, I am just wondering.

The Leaf 1.5 has 24kWh battery NEDC 200km
    The eGolf has 26.5kWh battery NEDC 190km
    The Ioniq has 28kWh battery NEDC 280km

Now I know the NEDC numbers are BS....

But if I look at the eGolf compared to Ioniq, I think most people will say they are getting 180km per charge? From what I can see in the Gen 1 eGolf it is coming in around 120-140km.

What is the reason for the better range from Ioniq? is it simply down to been more aerodynamic? I am asking because if that is the case what will a SUV be like with electric battery?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok, I am just wondering.

The Leaf 1.5 has 24kWh battery NEDC 200km
    The eGolf has 26.5kWh battery NEDC 190km
    The Ioniq has 28kWh battery NEDC 280km

Now I know the NEDC numbers are BS....

But if I look at the eGolf compared to Ioniq, I think most people will say they are getting 180km per charge? From what I can see in the Gen 1 eGolf it is coming in around 120-140km.

What is the reason for the better range from Ioniq? is it simply down to been more aerodynamic? I am asking because if that is the case what will a SUV be like with electric battery?

1) Drivetrain efficiency
    2) Aerodynamics

What the % improvements are for each of those is debatable. Personally, I think the drivetrain has more to do with it than the aerodynamics as evidenced by the excellent EPA figures which has very little motorway speed driving.

bp_me wrote: »
    Yes

thanks, hmm, not sure i can put 2k km up on a car in a month! Its for my parents so they would want to plan a few trips once i get it home for them!

lafors wrote: »
    I checked my Zappi charger logs yesterday for my Ioniq.
    So far I've driven 2,666km and used 373kW on my home charge point costing me at my rate (inc. vat) €52.18.
    So it works out approx €0.02 per km so far.
    That is pretty impressive!

AT 14c/kWh, that's actually pretty bad :D

Get a free night meter, charge your car at night and it will be less than half that...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement