Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

KCross wrote: »
    Would the VRT centre not go off the invoice date(or ferry date) and not the date of the VRT appointment?

I think the wording is that it has to be 6 months old when you import it, not when you VRT it.

I would not like to chance that without being 100% of that point. You could end up with a nasty unexpected VAT bill.

The VRT is calculated on the day you show up for your appointment, so why wouldn't the VAT? You pay both at the appointment.

1.5 Declaration and Payment of VAT for New and Used Vehicles

VAT as assessed by Revenue will be collected at NCTS centres, on registration of vehicles
    (where applicable) on Revenue’s behalf.

VAT will be charged on the purchase price declared on the invoice for the vehicle. For VAT purposes a “new means of transport” is a goods or passenger vehicle that meets either one of the two following criteria:

- It is a new means of transport if it is a motor vehicle or motor-cycle (other than a tractor) supplied six months or less after the date of its first entry into service;

- It is a new means of transport if it is a motor vehicle or motor-cycle (other than a tractor) that has travelled 6,000 kilometres or less at the time the vehicle is first presented for registration.

If the vehicle meets either of these criteria the vehicle is treated as a new means of transport for VAT purposes, and VAT is chargeable at registration. In this context "entry into service" means registration in another jurisdiction. If not previously registered the vehicle is new.

Example

Vehicle 5 months old with 8,000km - chargeable to VAT
    Vehicle 7 months old with 5,000km - chargeable to VAT
    Vehicle 7 months old with 8,000km - not chargeable to VAT

The date of a vehicle's first entry into service, i.e. the registration date, determines the age of the vehicle for VAT purposes. The mileage is the odometer mileage when first presented for registration in the State.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭oinkely

If I am buying it through a company that is registered for VAT does it make any difference as i won't be paying VAT on purchase in the UK anyway?

Soarer wrote: »
    1.5 Declaration and Payment of VAT for New and Used Vehicles

VAT as assessed by Revenue will be collected at NCTS centres, on registration of vehicles
    (where applicable) on Revenue’s behalf.

VAT will be charged on the purchase price declared on the invoice for the vehicle. For VAT purposes a “new means of transport” is a goods or passenger vehicle that meets either one of the two following criteria:

- It is a new means of transport if it is a motor vehicle or motor-cycle (other than a tractor) supplied six months or less after the date of its first entry into service;

- It is a new means of transport if it is a motor vehicle or motor-cycle (other than a tractor) that has travelled 6,000 kilometres or less at the time the vehicle is first presented for registration.

If the vehicle meets either of these criteria the vehicle is treated as a new means of transport for VAT purposes, and VAT is chargeable at registration. In this context "entry into service" means registration in another jurisdiction. If not previously registered the vehicle is new.

Example

Vehicle 5 months old with 8,000km - chargeable to VAT
    Vehicle 7 months old with 5,000km - chargeable to VAT
    Vehicle 7 months old with 8,000km - not chargeable to VAT

The date of a vehicle's first entry into service, i.e. the registration date, determines the age of the vehicle for VAT purposes. The mileage is the odometer mileage when first presented for registration in the State.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The VRT is calculated on the day you show up for your appointment, so why wouldn't the VAT? You pay both at the appointment.

Because they ask for ferry ticket to show the date you imported it.

And they ask for invoice to show what VAT, if any, you have paid.

You can bluff the mileage as they cant check that prior to the VRT appointment but they can check the ferry date.

Im not saying that it wont work as detailed. Im saying, I wouldnt rely on it unless someone has actually done it.

All I know is that in my VRT appointment they insisted on getting the invoice and ferry ticket.

If they see you bought a "new" car and then just hid it at home for a few months Im sure they'd pull you up on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

oinkely wrote: »
    If I am buying it through a company that is registered for VAT does it make any difference as i won't be paying VAT on purchase in the UK anyway?

Won't make any difference so. You're not paying the UK VAT. You are paying the Irish VAT but you can claim it all back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

thanks, hmm, not sure i can put 2k km up on a car in a month! Its for my parents so they would want to plan a few trips once i get it home for them!
    I'm 1/2 way through putting 650 km (Newcastle to Galway) on the clock of the Ioniq I just picked up at lunch time..... and it seems to be holding up pretty well :-) so I reckon its well doable...

I've attached the .pdf explaining VRT stuff. Your VAT stuff is around page 24/25.

As for the 6 months VAT date, I found this..

Purchase Invoices

It should be noted that in calculating the length of time since first registration in another MS, the critical date is the date on which the vehicle was supplied in the other MS, i.e. the date of the purchase invoice.

Delaying registration in the State until six months or more after entry into service does not remove the liability to VAT. It is the date of supply and not the date of declaration that determines liability to VAT and, where possible, customers should be advised accordingly.

So it's the purchase date is used for VAT.
    NOT Date Of First Registration
    NOT Date Of Entry Into State
    NOT Date Of VRT Appointment

Apologies if I misinformed anyone.

so the premium SE i was looking at has sold and there is slim pickings aside from that one on autotrader at the moment. I sent an email to Phil in electric autos with the requirements so will see what he comes back with.

I'll update when i find one and look for tips for driving it home, seeing as i've only ever been in a leaf!

So I can now officially join the club. And get added to the owners table....
    2018 G xxxxx (don't know number yet).
    Premium SE model... some class of a blue colour...
    Bought in Newcastle uk yesterday....
    Already has exceeded my very high expectations

• Advertisement

Very nice, irishgrover, the Marina Blue is a fantastic colour and I'm jealous of your Premium SE spec (must be fewer than 10 in this country)

Well wear! And please share your road trip here too if you like. I brought a classic car in myself last year and really enjoyed the road trip, even though it was on the tightest of budgets - around €170 all in to fly over, pay petrol and expenses and get the ferry back

unkel wrote: »
    Very nice, irishgrover, the Marina Blue is a fantastic colour and I'm jealous of your Premium SE spec (must be fewer than 10 in this country)

Well wear! And please share your road trip here too if you like. I brought a classic car in myself last year and really enjoyed the road trip, even though it was on the tightest of budgets - around €170 all in to fly over, pay petrol and expenses and get the ferry back

The SE spec is nice, but to be honest it's just a bit of leather on your arse, electric driver seat (that will never move), and heated seats in the back....
    99.99% of what is wonderful is common to both specs...(Although I will admit the blind spot warning gives extra comfort on motorways..

My trip was so completely uneventful that there is little to share.

Costs
    Ferry €160 - went for premium ticket for flexibility in case I did not make targeted ferry
    Flight: Ryanair one way was €39 (including cost of 2 bag carry on, priority boarding etc. - as I wanted to get off plane fast...)
    Charging: With ecotricity - <€10 in total
    Other costs - breakfast in Dublin airport, one coffee, one banana and one Double Decker England.....one curry on ferry - total cost <€20

So total cost of travel and transfer was ~ €230.

I flew from Dub to Newcastle on Tuesday, arrived just after 11am. Was met by a guy from the garage at the airport and we went to the dealers (SG Petch in Durham). I had already done the deal on the phone with Richard (Sales manager) and paid via EFT. So the objective was just to do the paperwork and take the car. I had also set up with ecotricity app etc.

The journey was 250 miles so I had planned as follows (based on traffic etc)
    • Assumed Average 50mph average driving speed (based on heavy traffic, poor weather, Liverpool V Man City game etc….. as opposed to eco driving)
    • Assumed 3 charging stops (did not want to get too low) and assumed average of 1 hour per stop (just in case of broken chargers, Queues etc)
    So was forecasting 8 hours from dealer to Holyhead.

I hit the road around 12:45, ferry was at 8:30, was targeting Holyhead for 8pm arrival
    • My first stop was in Wetherby (76 miles from start) - talked to a guy in a very nice tesla S who was using he CCS (it was free charging) so I charged back to 80% or so when he was done.
    • Next was Warrington which was 76 miles down the road. Charged without issue, taking 15.4 kWh in 27 minutes.
    • Then I went as far as Bodelwyddan about 50 miles down the road...got there before 6pm,..stayed there for 46 minutes, up to 92% or so I think.. (as I was in no hurry and was as happy to sit there as sit on the queue for the ferry).

Then did the last leg to Holyhead, another 55 miles.

Arrived in Holyhead over an hour before the ferry departed, slept on the crossing, and crashed in brothers house in Dublin.

Sorry this is such an uneventful tale, but the car is so good that there never was any drama..

well wear Irish grover.

Just done a deal for one for my folks, and don't even have to travel for it. Won't be the SE spec but they are happy with the standard and the new car smell!

Doing the paperwork tomorrow wit delivery in 3 to 4 weeks.

Sounds like a well planned and well executed trip. Enjoy the car now!
    talked to a guy in a very nice tesla S who was using he CCS

Except Teslas can't use CCS :p

He was probably using CHAdeMO (with an optional and expensive Tesla CHAdeMO adapter)

unkel wrote: »
    Sounds like a well planned and well executed trip. Enjoy the car now!

Except Teslas can't use CCS :p

He was probably using CHAdeMO (with an optional and expensive Tesla CHAdeMO adapter)[/
    QUOTE]

Sorry, you're obviously correct on both parts.....only one of the three chargers had CCS, he was using the shared CHAdeMO (with expensive adapter) as it was giving free juice. In fairness to him, he offered to immediately get off it, but I was happy to chat for 10 mins on #batterygate.... (he's very friendly with one of the guys who did the Aberdeen run)....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

A question for those that might know.

I got a Zappi charger. This can be set to only charge during certain hours (night rate) and can be set to have the battery full by a certain time, or deliver a predefined amount of kWh. The car can be set to charge during certain hours as well. If I want to just avail of the night rate leccy, which should I set, and why?

Thanks. :)

• Advertisement

A question for those that might know.

I got a Zappi charger. This can be set to only charge during certain hours (night rate) and can be set to have the battery full by a certain time, or deliver a predefined amount of kWh. The car can be set to charge during certain hours as well. If I want to just avail of the night rate leccy, which should I set, and why?

Thanks. :)

Do you have Solar PV?
    If you dont it's probably easier to just use the cars timer and it will be quick and easy to then override it when needed.

If you have Solar PV then thats a more complicated answer.

Do you have Solar PV?
    If you dont it's probably easier to just use the cars timer and it will be quick and easy to then override it when needed.

If you have Solar PV then thats a more complicated answer.
    No solar yet. Although I do plan solar and wind at some point.

So, set the Zappi to fast, but waiting for the car, then set the timer in the car? Is that right? (noob alert:D)

No solar yet. Although I do plan solar and wind at some point.

So, set the Zappi to fast, but waiting for the car, then set the timer in the car? Is that right? (noob alert:D)

That would be my opinion.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We had our 15k km service done yesterday, there wasn't much to it to be fair. Software updated, charging port fixed/updated, I think the brakes were to be looked at too (bit noisy). They also vacuumed and cleaned it :D It cost a grand total of €68.

miamee wrote: »
    We had our 15k km service done yesterday, there wasn't much to it to be fair. Software updated, charging port fixed/updated, I think the brakes were to be looked at too (bit noisy). They also vacuumed and cleaned it :D It cost a grand total of €68.

where did you get it done?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Michael Barrable in Airside in Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jeditraining1

Michael Barrable in Airside in Swords
    `

:-) Nice €€€€ very little to be done on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 berocore

Cool, that's a nice price :D

What software are you running, did they updated maps as well?

Thanks

berocore wrote: »
    Cool, that's a nice price :D

What software are you running, did they updated maps as well?

Thanks

Checked with OH, I haven't been in it yet since it was serviced :D He said that the obvious changes is in maps, android auto and the icons. All are running faster and look much smoother. There is not much of a change just visual.

Just finalised the deal for the parents. Hyuandai in Deansgrange wouldn't entertain scrappage on an ioniq, while another dealer was more than happy to do it. So dealer number two took the deposit this morning. Folks are delighted and there will be one less durty diesel on the streets of wicklow in 3 to 4 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Just finalised the deal for the parents. Hyuandai in Deansgrange wouldn't entertain scrappage on an ioniq, while another dealer was more than happy to do it. So dealer number two took the deposit this morning. Folks are delighted and there will be one less durty diesel on the streets of wicklow in 3 to 4 weeks.

I thought the scrappage was gone on the Ioniq?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jeditraining1

They are a lovely machine, they wont be sorry. :-). I'm not really surprised on the scrappage. They tried to give me very little for what I was offering. Refused and kept it. Not sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Moreilly

I just had my service done as well, Total charge €95 :confused:

Description of service on my bill was :
    S15
    Carry out 15,000km scheduled service
    Change Oil & Filter, Inspect/Clean air filter
    Check brake pads/Discs for wear, check coolant & Flui
    Check Tyres - Condition and Pressure
    Wash and clean car

€95

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Where did you get yours done?
    Thanks

peaceboi wrote: »
    Where did you get yours done?
    Thanks
    Fitzpatricks Naas

• Advertisement

Moreilly wrote: »

S15
    Wash and clean car

€95

Really?! :)

Methinks they used cut&paste there!

Really?! :)

Methinks they used cut&paste there!
    Yeah !, that bit jumped out at me too when i got home... !!, should have asked to buy a new one to keep as a spare while i was there, just to see what happened.... ;)

Fair play oinkley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So... ehm... what dealer was it that did scrappage?
    Asking for a friend:pac:

ELM327 wrote: »
    So... ehm... what dealer was it that did scrappage?
    Asking for a friend:pac:

Fitzpatricks naas. I dealt with Liam and he was a gent.

Does the Ioniq have....
    Keyless Entry?
    Keyless Go?
    LED Headlights?
    6.6kW+ onboard charging?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Yes to 1, 3 & 4.
    But what's keyless go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Yes to 1, 3 & 4.
    But what's keyless go?

Push button start without inserting key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

mooneys naas I dealt with Liam and he was a gent.

How much scrappage he give?

What was the final price?

• Advertisement

Yes to 1, 3 & 4.
    But what's keyless go?
    bp_me wrote: »

What he said!

thierry14 wrote: »
    How much scrappage he give?

What was the final price?

We could try get a group buy going.

Few of us using scrappage. Low €20k's on the road?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by miamee View Post
    We had our 15k km service done yesterday, there wasn't much to it to be fair. Software updated, charging port fixed/updated, I think the brakes were to be looked at too (bit noisy). They also vacuumed and cleaned it It cost a grand total of €68.

S15
    Wash and clean car

€95

also asked for the any firmware update if there was one available - took a pic of the firmware before i went in, and it was the same when i left the service, so im guessing i already had the latest ?, can anybody confirm?
    dIXYqAz.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

We could try get a group buy going.

Few of us using scrappage. Low €20k's on the road?

Definitely

I'd buy one with scrappage

Great car for low 20's

Count me in

Quote:
    We had our 15k km service done yesterday, there wasn't much to it to be fair. Software updated, charging port fixed/updated, I think the brakes were to be looked at too (bit noisy). They also vacuumed and cleaned it It cost a grand total of €68.

also asked for the any firmware update if there was one available - took a pic of the firmware before i went in, and it was the same when i left the service, so im guessing i already had the latest ?, can anybody confirm?
    dIXYqAz.jpg
    Definitely not the latest. This is...
    https://image.prntscr.com/image/p6RBuBo8SV_9LUCJQKrS8g.png

thanks for that info , starting to wonder what i paid for, specifically asked for software/firmware update when putting the car in.....

• Advertisement

thierry14 wrote: »
    Definitely

I'd buy one with scrappage

Great car for low 20's

Count me in

mid 20s more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

thanks for that info , starting to wonder what i paid for, specifically asked for software/firmware update when putting the car in.....

there is no scheduled service for 15K km, according to the manual there is a heath check at 15K and service at 30K and so on. Though I wonder how they changed the oil on your car "Change Oil & Filter, Inspect/Clean air filter" :D

mid 20s more like.

I was saying if we could get a few people in, it might bring it down to the low 20s.

Never happen like. But 'tis nice to dream!

Yes to 1, 3 & 4.
    But what's keyless go?
    bp_me wrote: »

Yes the ioniq has push button start, key doesn't need to be inserted.

Quote:

Will have a look at ours over the weekend and see what we've got now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement