Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Moreilly

miamee wrote: »
    Will have a look at ours over the weekend and see what we've got now.
    that would be great, thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

oinkely wrote: »
    mid 20s more like.

Still pretty good

5k cheaper than new Leaf and far better car

What did you buy yours for Unkel, on the road?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Thierry you've shown again that you don't understand how car pricing works.
    Stop comparing high spec cars with low spec cars. The Irish Ioniq is a similar spec to the I30 Petrol Deluxe Plus.
    The RRP is €29,000 vs €24,500. There is a €4,500 premium to by an electric, over three years it's paid for itself.
    With Hyundai you can expect to add another €1,000 to €2,000 for dealer charges and delivery.

There is a big education piece that needs to happen in dealerships, yes the cars cost more up front, but an average driver will save more than €1,000 a year.

liamog wrote: »
    Thierry you've shown again that you don't understand how car pricing works.
    Stop comparing high spec cars with low spec cars. The Irish Ioniq is a similar spec to the I30 Petrol Deluxe Plus.
    The RRP is €29,000 vs €24,500. There is a €4,500 premium to by an electric, over three years it's paid for itself.
    With Hyundai you can expect to add another €1,000 to €2,000 for dealer charges and delivery.

There is a big education piece that needs to happen in dealerships, yes the cars cost more up front, but an average driver will save more than €1,000 a year.

Are u thinking of Kona?

Don't think I said much on Ioniq, bit pricy for 30k but low to mid 20's it's a great car

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's the basic principle, if you think the current spec Ioniq is reasonable 25k car, then paying 30k for it works due to the first three years savings.
    It works for pretty much any EV/ICE comparison.

It's the basic principle, if you think the current spec Ioniq is reasonable 25k car, then paying 30k for it works due to the first three years savings.
    It works for pretty much any EV/ICE comparison.

I don't think it's worth 30k

Too many comprimises to pay that

Too little range and a bit too slow top end

For 25k it's a good deal

Cheap motoring for that price, it's effectively a sub 20k car after 3 years like your saying

The Irish speed limit is 120km/h and the Ioniq maxes out at 165 km/hr.
    It's not slow at Irish road speeds, compared to other cars in its manufacturers spec and price category.

They could release a lower spec Irish Ioniq for 25k, but they just don't need too until at 2020.

The Irish speed limit is 120km/h and the Ioniq maxes out at 165 km/hr.
    It's not slow at Irish road speeds, compared to other cars in its manufacturers spec and price category.

They could release a lower spec Irish Ioniq for 25k, but they just don't need too until at 2020.

Its slow past 100km/h even compared to my 14 year old Tdi

Below 100km/h its quick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

thierry14 wrote: »

Below 100km/h its quick

So your giving out about the 100-120km/h pickup? Hardly a huge issue if this is the case.

Well in fairness most electrics are programmed, geared to have the most power at lower speeds. 115 hp is 115 hp it's power this gives the ability to move, torque is what moves you, without torque you can't move without hp/kw you haven't the ability to move.

So.....they can manipulate how that power is delivered, where and when, most at the low end or more mid and top.

They can manipulate this much easier in an ICE with the gearbox but they can also give a leaf/ioniq for example a more broader torque curve giving less at the bottom and more at the mid and top but electrics are limited at the top end so providing more power with a 140 odd Km/m limit would be a waste and rather pointless.

Motor winding , gearing , voltage , amps + software dictate the way the power is delivered. The limitation being the current ability or c rate of the battery.

So while the TDI may have more shove at higher speed compared to EV with the same power it's not really necessary in an Ev with limited range, give an ev enough power and it makes no difference, the i3 being one example, it starts to deliver power later than the leaf but continues well after it dies off in the Leaf. The i3 has more than enough power to the limiter of 155 Km/h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Below 100km/h its quick

I’d say the only car that fits your requirements is a Tesla Roadster for €10k. ;)

It also isn't just about speed, the power delivery and torque make the ev feel much more powerful than it is compared to you 14 year old TDI there's just no comparison , ev with the same power or more I'd have any day.

The i3 170 hp V brothers DSG quattro 184 hp TDI , I wouldn't drive the tdi if it was given to me after the i3 as ,much as I like Audi!

Thierry just can't let go of the ancient tech , he doesn't understand. I'd nearly let him have the i3 for a day lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

It also isn't just about speed, the power delivery and torque make the ev feel much more powerful than it is compared to you 14 year old TDI there's just no comparison , ev with the same power or more I'd have any day.

The i3 170 hp V brothers DSG quattro 184 hp TDI , I wouldn't drive the tdi if it was given to me after the i3 as ,much as I like Audi!

Thierry just can't let go of the ancient tech , he doesn't understand. I'd nearly let him have the i3 for a day lol

I absolutely loved my 130bhp 1.9TDi Avant. The gen 1.5 Leaf matches and exceeds the Audi’s performance in my experience. With regards to IONIQ EV, I could compare its performance to the remapped 1.9tdi Avant I’ve once test driven. It was with above 160bhp and it was a rocket 🚀

Won’t go back to Audi unless I could slap a 60kw battery in any Avant model :)

The i3 is 1200kg and 170bhp

Thats quick under any standard

Its a different animal to Ioniq or Leaf, it can keep up with pretty fast cars

All I'm saying is the Ioniqs acceleration from 100 onwards is nothing special, while below 100 its plenty quick with times of below 8s

If the Ioniq had the Kona 200bhp motor then it would be a different contest

I am talking motorway acceleration btw 100km/h - 160km/h

I have driven the Leaf many times and it ain't a motorway cruiser, really dead top end

Ioniq with a bit more power would be a revelation

I think its class but would like 50bhp more for 30k

For 25k it's fine how it is

Oh I agree the Ioniq power isn't anything special and any more power it had over the Leaf is small a bit more at the top but it certainly wouldn't be my deciding factor in buying because the difference is small but definitely a difference.

It will be interesting to see if the Kona can handle the torque , while it will be a lot heavier then the i3 it's specs are impressive but spinning wheels on FWD and all that torque could a right pain in the arse, it was a pain in the Leaf.

The i3 handling and steering are other factors that allow much more spirited driving and fun than accelerating from 0 but I'd like to see them race all the same especially in the wet lol.

While the Leaf has neat enough handling the rear suspension let it down and the steering felt absolutely dead and I really noticed it after test driving the i3 and getting back into the leaf, I was turning the steering and nothing happening and nearly crashed into the roundabout coming out of Joe Duffy motors lol, the i3 steering is tight and direct and really a lot better than the leaf.

The Leaf is fine for motorway driving, I could drive it home at 140 odd GpS speed with no issues with 109 hp it's not going to be anything special anyway and I suppose Nissan "tuned" it more for urban driving and naturally assumed it would spend a lot less time at 100+ kph, the limit in Japan anyway is about 90 odd Kph if I remember correctly.

Yeah pull out in the right lane in a leaf and floor it and it's not that powerful but it is only 109 hp and can still maintain good speed.

Imagine driving the 90 hp Zoe or the 75 hp version or worse again the 60 Hp Kangoo ? omg, I'd rather cycle !

Ok so given the three price difference is 5k, which 25k ICE car with a similar spec to the Ioniq would you suggest instead.

Ok so given the three price difference is 5k, which 25k ICE car with a similar spec to the Ioniq would you suggest instead.

Was that directed at me ?

Was that directed at me ?

No it's directed at thierry14, I'm trying to get an understanding for what car would be a comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

:D
    Interesting arguments here... Car isn't worth price because how fast or slow it is above 100 or any speed... It's a joke a little :) do u really buy car judging by this?
    I guess we are all different... :) I didn't even think about how it's fast or slow in that regard. It's pleasure to drive, economic, safe, comfortable with ACC on motorway. Still better than Leaf v2 :D (in a way) :)

• Advertisement

Mope wrote: »
    :D
    Interesting arguments here... Car isn't worth price because how fast or slow it is above 100 or any speed... It's a joke a little :) do u really buy car judging by this?
    I guess we are all different... :) I didn't even think about how it's fast or slow in that regard. It's pleasure to drive, economic, safe, comfortable with ACC on motorway. Still better than Leaf v2 :D (in a way) :)

My last 3 cars have been a Lancer Gsr, Mazda 3 Mps, Fabia Rs

Yes I buy cars based on power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I don't think it's worth 30k

Too many comprimises to pay that

Too little range and a bit too slow top end

For 25k it's a good deal

Cheap motoring for that price, it's effectively a sub 20k car after 3 years like your saying

for you, maybe not.....for others it absolutely is.....I do 40+k km a year.... I've done all the sums, I've gone 100% nerd with total cost of ownership spreadsheets etc etc compared to my usual spending €10 - €15 every 3 or four years...to me it's a no brainier...

Most normal people want a car that's comfortable to drive and is cheap to run.
    The tech features on the Ioniq are impressive, the LKAS and ACC really take the chore out of driving.

The Jaguar I-Pace is probably the first drivers EV. Maybe somebody they'll be an Ioniq N edition for the petrol heads. The I3 may have better road handling, but the same can be said of any car in the BMW range vs it's relative Hyundai car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

My last 3 cars have been a Lancer Gsr, Mazda 3 Mps, Fabia Rs

Yes I buy cars based on power

I thought you bought your cars based on power?

Soarer wrote: »
    I thought you bought your cars based on power?

Your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Hes taking the mick. Saying the cars you mentioned arent powerful..

I hate having to explain jokes..

• Advertisement

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Hes taking the mick. Saying the cars you mentioned arent powerful..

I hate having to explain jokes..

Well it's stupid joke

How is a Mazda 3 mps not powerful?

Would leave every EV for dead bar a Tesla and lower end Teslas wouldnt hang with it past 160km/h where it's single speed gearbox is out of its power range

for you, maybe not.....for others it absolutely is.....I do 40+k km a year.... I've done all the sums, I've gone 100% nerd with total cost of ownership spreadsheets etc etc compared to my usual spending €10 - €15 every 3 or four years...to me it's a no brainier...

True big savings available for big milage

Not everyone does crazy milage

I do 15k km a year, like many do

5km daily commute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

All this talk of fast cars is a load of BS to be honest....

The majority of people looking at electric cars are based in cities....Dublin/Cork/Galway etc.

You can have the fastest car in the World, but you are still going be to restricted to 30km/h in major parts of the city and with the announcement at weekend the majority of Dublin will be moving to 30km/h speed limit.

Once Dublin does it, the rest of the major cities will follow suit.

So in a city the electric is the best car around as the speed from 0-30/60km is better than your average diesel/petrol.

You are better off spending you money on a decent spec car because you are the one sitting in it. Comforts like leather seats etc. Doesn't matter how much power you buy in the engine because you wont be going anywhere fast....

Hence why track days in Ireland are becoming more popular, head down to track, rent a car and fly around for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Kangas daddy

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    All this talk of fast cars is a load of BS to be honest....

The majority of people looking at electric cars are based in cities....Dublin/Cork/Galway etc.

You can have the fastest car in the World, but you are still going be to restricted to 30km/h in major parts of the city and with the announcement at weekend the majority of Dublin will be moving to 30km/h speed limit.

Once Dublin does it, the rest of the major cities will follow suit.

So in a city the electric is the best car around as the speed from 0-30/60km is better than your average diesel/petrol.

You are better off spending you money on a decent spec car because you are the one sitting in it. Comforts like leather seats etc. Doesn't matter how much power you buy in the engine because you wont be going anywhere fast....

Hence why track days in Ireland are becoming more popular, head down to track, rent a car and fly around for the day

Totally agree. I live in Drogheda and work in Dublin Airport and even on the M1 dual carriageway laughingly called a Motorway, regularly the majority of traffic trundles along in the ‘overtaking’ lane with the inside lane largely vacant. With a 120kph speed limit, traffic regularly in the evenings grinds to a halt and then crawls along at 20-30kph until it frees up so comfort in the vehicle for me and i’m Sure all M50 users far outweighs high speed capability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

5km daily commute

You must really get the best out of all that power you have on your 5km commute! :)

I finally see now why you need a Model 3 with 500km range... its starting to make sense.

• Advertisement

5km daily commute

I done 15k km in 11 months last year. Never got to run report for 12 months.

It cost me €197 in "fuel". I don't use free system.

In my old car it would have cost €1,600 in fuel.

That's a decent saving for 11 months of driving....

Also all done on a car with a range of 120-140km :P

Totally agree. I live in Drogheda and work in Dublin Airport and even on the M1 dual carriageway laughingly called a Motorway, regularly the majority of traffic trundles along in the ‘overtaking’ lane with the inside lane largely vacant. With a 120kph speed limit, traffic regularly in the evenings grinds to a halt and then crawls along at 20-30kph until it frees up so comfort in the vehicle for me and i’m Sure all M50 users far outweighs high speed capability.

Your fecking flying at 20-30km....:P:P

KCross wrote: »
    You must really get the best out of all that power you have on your 5km commute! :)

I finally see now why you need a Model 3 with 500km range... its starting to make sense.

I drive at the weekend

I done 15k km in 11 months last year. Never got to run report for 12 months.

It cost me €197 in "fuel". I don't use free system.

In my old car it would have cost €1,600 in fuel.

That's a decent saving for 11 months of driving....

Also all done on a car with a range of 120-140km :P

Yes 26e a week in savings, wow

What would to do with all those savings

Some people enjoy driving

Its nice taking a 260bhp hot hatch up Conor pass at the weekends

This is what's cars are for

https://youtu.be/y1LhUzL3qdU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Yes 26e a week in savings, wow

What would to do with all those savings

Yet a reduction of tax, let's say from €500 to €200, was sufficient to turn around the whole country motoring to diesel...

grogi wrote: »
    Yet a reduction of tax, let's say from €500 to €200, was sufficient to turn around the whole country motoring to diesel...

We all laughed at them

Some people enjoy driving

Its nice taking a 260bhp hot hatch up Conor pass at the weekends

This is what's cars are for

https://youtu.be/y1LhUzL3qdU

You link to a video of a Porsche

You drive a Skoda :p

Not a f**king Porsche:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

It's a cheap mans Golf....

You link to a video of a Porsche

You drive a Skoda :p

Not a f**king Porsche:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

It's a cheap mans Golf....

For the road, not car

You mean a Polo

Mazda 3 would be more like a Golf

You also have an Ice, why not get rid of that for your 140km eGolf if its so great

99% of new car buyers are ICE

I know you think the 1% here a geniuses :)

Guaranteed you would be in an ICE if it had cheap fuel like 50c a litre, you'd prefer save 26e a week :)

Electric is great, batteries are ****

My original point was the Ioniq could do with 50bhp more, don't know why ye are attacking me
    about that

That model 3 will be an amazing drive on those type roads

For the road, not car

You mean a Polo

Mazda 3 would be more like a Golf

You also have an Ice, why not get rid of that for your 140km eGolf if its so great

99% of new car buyers are ICE

I know you think the 1% here a geniuses :)

Guaranteed you would be in an ICE if it had cheap fuel like 50c a litre, you'd prefer save 26e a week :)

Electric is great, batteries are ****

My original point was the Ioniq could do with 50bhp more, don't know why ye are attacking me
    about that

That model 3 will be an amazing drive on those type roads

Come on now, who is attacking who? Can you not take a joke....

Why would I drive a diesel/petrol if cheap fuel? I made the decision mostly based on environmental factors, the savings are a bonus

I have a diesel Galaxy, for size. Kids/prams etc require a vehicle that size. If I could get a electric/hybrid version I would buy in morning. Already posted that numerous times.....not sure what your point is?

As my point above, electric cars are fast, fast for what they will do 99% of the time which is around city centre where limits are already set.

You go on about speed and bhp all the time, you would swear you drive a F1 car...

If you want to drive a proper car, go to Mondello or up North where you can actually drive a Porsche, a proper car around a race track for the day. If you love fast car that is what you would do.

Not drive an old banger Skoda on back roads:p:p (P.S. that is a joke as well)

• Advertisement

Come on now, who is attacking who? Can you not take a joke....

Why would I drive a diesel/petrol if cheap fuel? I made the decision mostly based on environmental factors, the savings are a bonus

I have a diesel Galaxy, for size. Kids/prams etc require a vehicle that size. If I could get a electric/hybrid version I would buy in morning. Already posted that numerous times.....not sure what your point is?

As my point above, electric cars are fast, fast for what they will do 99% of the time which is around city centre where limits are already set.

You go on about speed and bhp all the time, you would swear you drive a F1 car...

If you want to drive a proper car, go to Mondello or up North where you can actually drive a Porsche, a proper car around a race track for the day. If you love fast car that is what you would do.

Not drive an old banger Skoda on back roads:p:p (P.S. that is a joke as well)

I have been to Mondello

Have driven 350Z, M3s, Evos etc

I would buy an EV tomorrow too if it suited my needs, fast/long range/affordable

They are not available and not for a long time, it's quite a depressing situation imo

500kg of batteries to match 10 litres of fuel is madness and the big obstacle to EV future, the cost involved to manufacture at that size is obscene and manufacturers are right not to jump in

thierry, you really need to give the EV thread a skip for the next 3 years.

Soarer wrote: »
    thierry, you really need to give the EV thread a skip for the next 3 years.

I think so too :(

Not as if there any EV news anyway

Nothing coming out for a long time

No announcements, no launches, while ICE has new vehicles being launched every week

Talk to ye in 2020, bye all

No announcements, no launches, while ICE has new vehicles being launched every week

Talk to ye in 2020, bye all

'Twas only a suggestion! :(

Nobody ever listens to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Bit of a random entrant there.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Except the Kona, Niro and next Leaf.

All 60kwh+.

All on the road in around a year.

Yeah nothing coming soon at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Any Ioniq Electric owners reckon you would fit 2 full size road bikes in the back with the seats down??!
    Failing this, anyone found a bike rack that is not roof mounted?

I heard on the news today about half price tolls for EV users, but don’t see anything about registering the car as electric on eflow. Anyone have any more information on this?

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I heard on the news today about half price tolls for EV users, but don’t see anything about registering the car as electric on eflow. Anyone have any more information on this?

Isnt the tag associated with the car's reg and hence they can cross check that its electric accordingly?

Maybe continue the discussion on the appropriate thread here so everyone can learn the answer...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057862722

• Advertisement

Oops, didn’t see that thread. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement