Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I see on Hyundais website the latest BEV Ioniq is quoted to achieve a range of 280Km "depending on driving circumstances". In real world terms what would be the range? Say if your consistently driving on a motorway at 120Kph?

I'd guess about 165 to 175 at constant 120......I'll do my best to do a real world 120kmph test with cruise control on tomorrow morning and report back

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Doc el brown

I'd guess about 165 to 175 at constant 120......I'll do my best to do a real world 120kmph test with cruise control on tomorrow morning and report back

So from a full charge my range differs from 240km to 200km approx as it depends on my previous driving habits. Ioniq uses a Gom (guess ometer) to calculate range. I jave never got mine more than 240 and thats after driving really conservativly for a few days. If you drive at 120kms constantly you will burn more battery energy for sure and have no hope of achieving what the range counter tell you. I just looked at my last drive efficiency where i drove on the m7 m9 from the kill turn to the kilcullen turn at 120kms most of the way and it says 20km per kwh which isnt great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

So from a full charge my range differs from 240km to 200km approx as it depends on my previous driving habits. Ioniq uses a Gom (guess ometer) to calculate range. I jave never got mine more than 240 and thats after driving really conservativly for a few days. If you drive at 120kms constantly you will burn more battery energy for sure and have no hope of achieving what the range counter tell you. I just looked at my last drive efficiency where i drove on the m7 m9 from the kill turn to the kilcullen turn at 120kms most of the way and it says 20km per kwh which isnt great.
    That's interesting.

When I picked up my car the GOM was at 213. Just off the charger the dealer told me. I've put up a couple of thousand kms at this stage and a full charge shows 213, no matter what way I drive it. My average rate of discharge is 12.9kWh/100kms

Now, when I had a demo for 3 days last year, the GOM showed 230 after a full charge when I collected it, and 240 after a full charge when I was leaving it back. I tested it for 900 kms.

Has Hyundai hobbled the GOM for some reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Doc el brown

Thats interesting. Having looked on line its similar for most people. If i drive the absolute stones out of it and burn the battery quick I can get something like 160km range on the display

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

........ and it says 20km per kwh which isnt great.

I donno, if that was anywhere near for real and not some GOM nonsense I'd be well happy.

As Unkel might say, I drive like Miss Daisy ( or at least how her dog might ) so at that rate I might get 500+ km per charge ?

Must be way to optimistic, no ?

Ok so on the way home I got on motorway at Shannon and got off at Gort. After getting on the motorway and getting to 120 I reset trip and power consumption and set cruise control to 120kph.
    With the exception of passing out a couple of cars and forced slowdown due to everyone breaking at sight of guards with hairdryer, I maintained constant speed (via acc)

In total I traveled 24.2 miles in 20 minutes, averaging 75 mph.
    This gave an average of 3.7 miles per kWh.

So 3.7 miles per kWh equates to (3.7 * 28) = 103.6 miles range or 167 km range at an average speed of 120kmph on a motorway....

I'll repeat the test next week going in the opposite direction....

The car and driver did not like such sensible driving..... I was going to offer doing same at 110kmph but not sure I could really....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sounds about right. You'd get a bit more in summer and a bit less in winter. Do note that 120km/h indicated in Ioniq is 115km/h on GPS

Next time set your ACC to 125km/h to reflect a real speed of 120km/h :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

My GOM reading have been fairly consistent with the weather conditions. Goes down to about 210 in the winter, and up to 248 in the summer.

Yesterday morning after the overnight charge it read 233. It it’s generally fairly accurate to what I do actually get.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Mine are pretty accurate too. But I will never ever see anything like 248km in summer in mine :D

Worst this winter was about 170km, best in summer about 220km. But I drive the car very hard, constant hard acceleration and always in sport mode.

5 years bumper to bumper warranty and almost free fuel, right? :)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Mine are pretty accurate too. But I will never ever see anything like 248km in summer in mine :D

Worst this winter was about 170km, best in summer about 220km. But I drive the car very hard, constant hard acceleration and always in sport mode.

5 years bumper to bumper warranty and almost free fuel, right? :)

I've only the car a couple of weeks, have done almost 2000 km and have not seen more than 180km in the GOM....... But I'm on open roads 90% of the time, mostly motorway, in sports mode..... Why drive it any other way if you don't need to.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Going to view an Ioniq this evening, have the cash (well in my bank account) to put a deposit on. Hopefully I will be able to add my name to the list of Ioniq owners shortly!

Any questions I should be asking?
    I know we only got the one spec here, roughly equal to Uk "Premium" spec, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Kangas daddy

ELM327 wrote: »
    Going to view an Ioniq this evening, have the cash (well in my bank account) to put a deposit on. Hopefully I will be able to add my name to the list of Ioniq owners shortly!

I know we only got the one spec here, roughly equal to Uk "Premium" spec, right?

Make sure the dealer puts in writing the Hyundai 5-year warranty! I took a test drive and the proposed deal left that out. When I provided him later a screenshot from HY website including 5-yr service he said he’d make a couple of calls if that was going to ‘sweeten’ the deal. Car felt lovely to drive but with batteries getting larger, going in with a new EV on an already smaller capacity than currently available might be an issue down the line when trading in or selling privately against prob much larger capacities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

That the full recall list has been carried out. Didnt unkel post that list somewhere?

And Sat nav up to date.

Make sure the dealer puts in writing the Hyundai 5-year warranty! I took a test drive and the proposed deal left that out. When I provided him later a screenshot from HY website including 5-yr service he said he’d make a couple of calls if that was going to ‘sweeten’ the deal. Car felt lovely to drive but with batteries getting larger, going in with a new EV on an already smaller capacity than currently available might be an issue down the line when trading in or selling privately against prob much larger capacities.
    I don't think it needs to be put in writing, as per the hyundai website the warranty is transferable. On the Ioniq it's 5 years warranty on the car and 8 years on battery.

The range is 200km, I dont see it depreciating like a stone in the next ~2 years (until the model3 comes out) as there will be nothing else available until 2020 at the earliest.

KCross wrote: »
    That the full recall list has been carried out. Didnt unkel post that list somewhere?

And Sat nav up to date.
    Should the recall work be in the service book I presume?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

as far as I know, there is no service book anymore, everything is logged online with Hyundai

jeremy_g wrote: »
    as far as I know, there is no service book anymore, everything is logged online with Hyundai
    A service book was included with my paperwork. The Hyundai system keeps a record of recalls and warranty repairs. On a new car this should be blank, with all past recall issues eradicated before build.

The thing about bigger and bigger batteries will, in my opinion, fade away to a large degree. People will buy the car with the battery they need, just like they won't buy a 5.7L V8 to potter around in. If people need a bigger battery for regular longer runs, they will buy (and pay for) a bigger battery. Don't forget that batteries have to be lugged around wherever you go, and will make their own demands on range.

With faster charging coming in the future, bigger batteries will charge quickly. But that's in the future. Today, the efficient Ioniq is a great balance between range and charge time.

Getting the latest software and maps will be your biggest challenge. Make sure you have a screenshot on your phone of the latest firmware.

A service book was included with my paperwork. The Hyundai system keeps a record of recalls and warranty repairs. On a new car this should be blank, with all past recall issues eradicated before build.

The thing about bigger and bigger batteries will, in my opinion, fade away to a large degree. People will buy the car with the battery they need, just like they won't buy a 5.7L V8 to potter around in. If people need a bigger battery for regular longer runs, they will buy (and pay for) a bigger battery. Don't forget that batteries have to be lugged around wherever you go, and will make their own demands on range.

With faster charging coming in the future, bigger batteries will charge quickly. But that's in the future. Today, the efficient Ioniq is a great balance between range and charge time.

Getting the latest software and maps will be your biggest challenge. Make sure you have a screenshot on your phone of the latest firmware.

Where would one receive this screenshot?
    Agree with the rest of your post.

Where would one receive this screenshot?
    Agree with the rest of your post.

AE_EV.EUR.SOP.005.3.170927
    AE_EV.EUR.0.5.222.170920.MICOM
    STD_AVN_MID.EUR.HMC.170927.a803344
    EUR.10.41.46.701.002.2 (D.D2 / E.D1)

That's the latest software. :)

AE_EV.EUR.SOP.005.3.170927
    AE_EV.EUR.0.5.222.170920.MICOM
    STD_AVN_MID.EUR.HMC.170927.a803344
    EUR.10.41.46.701.002.2 (D.D2 / E.D1)

That's the latest software. :)
    Excellent. I shall open this thread later. Cheers.

Where do I check this in the car?

• Advertisement

Excellent. I shall open this thread later. Cheers.

Where do I check this in the car?
    Last button on the right under the screen, 'settings', then swipe the screen left and the icon for 'system information' will be there.

KCross wrote: »

It's not really that important, as you can book the car in with any dealer for the free recall work. I would get the software updated though, it fixes the only thing that has annoyed me with the car - it regularly loses your charge time and drive style settings

But the recalls are:

1. brakes - only for cars manufactured before 03/17
    2. charge point actuator - they replace this (never an issue for me but some people reported the charger being stuck in the charge port)
    3. ECU - that's an inspection only and in some cases it needs replacing

Going to view an Ioniq this evening

It's not cheap, but I agree with you, that's probably the best you'll do from a Hyundai dealer in this country. Push hard for €26k flat, but I wouldn't bet money you'll achieve that. Any link to the black one you mentioned? Availability of the white cars was much less of a problem (most demo cars were white) and they are almost certain not to keep their value as well as any coloured ones

I see your viewpoint, you don't want the hassle of importing and you are more than capable of making your own mind up. Best case scenario is bringing a similar (but coloured) car in from the UK for just under GBP20k, or a bit over EUR23k, but few come up, although you do occasionally get a premium SE for sale for that

I'm not sure you mentioned you drove one before, but if I were you and you are keen to do a deal, do it pending a 24h test drive and you are satisfied with the car

Good luck!

I see the black one €28435

Here

And the third and last Ioniq on DD is brand new and white for €29695

Here

All from main Hyundai dealers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

How did the test drive go ELM?

peposhi wrote: »
    How did the test drive go ELM?
    Put a deposit down :D
    But not on the one I was expecting!

(the black one)

Will be picking it up in a couple of days, possibly early next week.

Well wear :)

You drive it? You won't regret getting the black one over the white one, even though it cost you a bit more. Have the grill wrapped in glossy black and it's a rather good looking car indeed.

And of course, don't be coy here. Tell us all about the deal you got, etc.!

Will tell about the deal etc when I've paid the balance and collected the car! lol.
    It cost a bit more but I don't like white cars, and they are harder to sell on as I found out about my leaf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Racism!

Put a deposit down :D
    But not on the one I was expecting!

(the black one)

Will be picking it up in a couple of days, possibly early next week.

I really like the iOniq. So efficient on the motorways and bloody fast charging (where available) compared to L24 and L30.
    I would have gone for one last Jan but the trade in price for my car, laughable GMFV and as a result stupid monthly repayments (nearly as high as my mortgage) made me not even consider buying one.
    Waiting impatiently for your review once you get you hands on the wheel :)

• Advertisement

laughable GMFV and as a result stupid monthly repayments

Don't make the mistake of thinking a high monthly repayment means the cars costs you more. In fact it is the more prudent approach leaving you with a bit of equity in the car. Of course it is far more prudent again to save up first and then buy the car outright with cash.

I really like the iOniq. So efficient on the motorways and bloody fast charging (where available) compared to L24 and L30.
    I would have gone for one last Jan but the trade in price for my car, laughable GMFV and as a result stupid monthly repayments (nearly as high as my mortgage) made me not even consider buying one.
    Waiting impatiently for your review once you get you hands on the wheel :)
    I've driven it (briefly) and it's quite possibly the nicest car I've driven in terms of comfort. I've owned many cars from american pickups to a rolls royce and everything in between. Its in a different league to the leaf.

Just waiting on finance quote now. Although the projections seem cheap on the monthly guesstimate, it is probably cheap in my head as I'm comparing them with a model S!

I've driven it (briefly) and it's quite possibly the nicest car I've driven in terms of comfort. I've owned many cars from american pickups to a rolls royce and everything in between. Its in a different league to the leaf.

That's funny you mention that. I only realised yesterday that I can take the speed bumps on my local link road at 70km/h in comfort. I don't think I even tried them at that speed in any of my other cars, BMW 7-series included.

Don't make the mistake of thinking a high monthly repayment means the cars costs you more. In fact it is the more prudent approach leaving you with a bit of equity in the car. Of course it is far more prudent again to save up first and then buy the car outright with cash.

I was not worried about the total amount I was going to pay. It was the high monthly payment that did put me off massively. They were looking for anything between 580 and 720 a month depending on my deposit + my car! and the length of lease. Mind you, when i bought my first L24 I was paying 274 a month...
    And since a cash buy was not an option for many reasons, IONiQ lost the battle to a 10g cheaper 30kw SVE ;)

I've driven it (briefly) and it's quite possibly the nicest car I've driven in terms of comfort... Its in a different league to the leaf....

It is an excellent car!
    L24 and L30 - yes, different story
    L40 - did you drive one? You’d be surprised, very much :)

It is an excellent car!
    L24 and L30 - yes, different story
    L40 - did you drive one? You’d be surprised, very much :)
    Have not driven an L40 as I was not willing to consider buying one due to rapidgate. EDIT: I have sat in one at the IEVOA AGM event and will probably attend another event in Mullingar tomorrow where they have L40 for test drives I'm informed.
    Have owned a 24kWh leaf and driven a 30kWh one.

High monthly payments like 500-600 would have been welcome in this instance, as I would use the equity built up to fund my model 3 deposit!

I'm waiting on my finance application with the bank to come through, and have asked the garage for some finance numbers as well. I will see what PCP options are available as PCP is often better and cheaper than a standard car loan due to lower interest and deferring some of the payments for the term of the loan (GFMV)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭oinkely

My mother picked up her Ioniq BEV yesterday. It is a super car, feels great to drive, and seems very fancy compared to our leaf. In fairness though, it is almost 5 years newer.

Really nice features, comes with the granny and the standard charging lead. She is delighted with it and one less diesel knocking around wicklow town!

I would wholeheartedly recommend Fitzpatricks Hyundai in Naas. They were fantastic to deal with, very knowledgeable and really helpful. http://www.fitzpatricksgarages.ie/web/hyundai-newcars/

They gave 3.5k scrappage on the car meaning it cost €26 and a bit K which compares very favourably to used prices from the UK.

All in, great experience and a great car. I'll be keeping my eye on the used prices over the next few years and will definitely upgrade the leaf at some stage.

oinkely wrote: »
    My mother picked up her Ioniq BEV yesterday.........
    Well wear !!!!!

• Advertisement

Sweet deal, oinkely! White or colour? What car did she scrap?

FitzPatricks in Naas have a very good reputation. Unfortunately, they were one of the few greater Dublin area dealer who did not respond to my 9AM email in time to enter negotiations so they missed out on a potential deal. Although one with not an awful lot of margin for the dealer :)

I bought the car at 7PM on the same day - I knew I wanted business that day, it was the day after my test drive and I wanted to buy the Ioniq that day :D

Sweet deal, oinkely! White or colour? What car did she scrap?

FitzPatricks in Naas have a very good reputation. Unfortunately, they were one of the few greater Dublin area dealer who did not respond to my 9AM email in time to enter negotiations so they missed out on a potential deal. Although one with not an awful lot of margin for the dealer :)

I bought the car at 7PM on the same day - I knew I wanted business that day, it was the day after my test drive and I wanted to buy the Ioniq that day :D
    I'd guess it was the white one I linked earlier... that's why I didnt go see it as it was sold inbetween my first phone call and second!

So that's all the Ioniqs that were listed and available in Ireland now sold. (I don't believe that the 2018 white one is actually there in stock.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

oinkley's car is new AFAIK.

Soarer wrote: »
    oinkley's car is new AFAIK.

Seeing as she got scrappage, you're probably right. It was probably a brand new car ordered before (so not a demo / second hand car)

But only oinkely can confirm that of course :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭oinkely

Seeing as she got scrappage, you're probably right. It was probably a brand new car ordered before (so not a demo / second hand car)

But only oinkely can confirm that of course :)

It is white, but was brand new. Only colour they had in stock for immediate delivery.

Grand total of 14km on the clock at collection.

Scrapped a 2003 Laguna, which was bought new by a family member and was still going well with 267k miles on it. Well, if you didn't mind the heater not working, the windows not working and the radio occasionally turning on or off.

Sweet deal! I don't know why the hell they did the scrappage, the dealers can sell Ioniqs at full retail price (even white ones), but I guess your mother ain't complaining :D

In the USA the Ioniq EV now typically goes for RRP + $3k from Hyundai dealers

• Advertisement

Had a thumbs up exchange with a 181D white Ioniq who came off the N4 Lucan ramp at Woodies turning right (south) at about 4:45PM yesterday. Anyone in here? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭woppers

I haven't been on the forum for months but I spotted this post and thought I should reply.

I commute to Dublin most days with a journey of 121km each way.

- 37km using cruise control at 105kmph on back roads
    - 49km using cruise control at 125kmph on motorway
    - 19km using cruise control at 105kmph on a dual carriage way
    - 11km using cruise control at 125kmph on motorway
    - 5km in 50-60kmph zones using cruise control

P.S. I always add 5km to the speed because the speedometer isn't accurate on my car. 125kmph on the car speedo is equal to 120kmph real speed.

During the winter months I was displaying a range of 180km when I got into the car and after 121km of driving I'd only have as low as 25km range or at maximum 40km range left.

I'd have used the heated seat, heater in eco mode, cruise control most of the journey and always in sport mode. Around 17-18kw per 100km. This works out at a range between 145-160km.

Now that the weather is getting better I'm back to 14.5kw per 100km. Around a 170-180 km range.

I always put the low range down to the fact that I was driving in winter with headlights on, wipers on, heater on and 120km on the motorway for 60km of the journey.

Does anyone else have similar range to me? I said it to the dealer and he said I'm getting the lowest range that he's heard out of anyone.

I'm driving my Ioniq as hard as I can. Only ever sport mode and I take pleasure (still) from getting off from the lights at Ferrari speeds every single time. My car knows this and still it told me I had a 222km range this morning when I unplugged it :D

Jaysus! The only 3 times I saw above 200km on the range indicator were:

1. When I picked it up from the dealer.
    2. When the 12v battery mysteriously died on me and the AA had to come out and get it back running for me.
    3 When we got lashed out of it with snow recently the battery died again and the AA had to be called.

Christ, I've loads of catching up to do in this forum :( I see that some of you guys updated the software yourselves. Has anyone had any bad experiences or mishaps? Is it possible to brick the car or void the warranty if you mess up the update?

Also, what tyres are people recommending when replacing them? I've around 45% left on them after 32,000km

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement