Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I changed mine recently woppers. I wanted to go with the Michelin’s that were on them initially, but money was tight so I got a set of Avon’s.

They are A rated, but only rated E for fuel economy. Cost €140 for the set, whereas the Michelin’s would have cost €220 for the set. I got 53k out of the Michelin’s, so next time i’ll Go back to those.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭woppers

I changed mine recently woppers. I wanted to go with the Michelin’s that were on them initially, but money was tight so I got a set of Avon’s.

They are A rated, but only rated E for fuel economy. Cost €140 for the set, whereas the Michelin’s would have cost €220 for the set. I got 53k out of the Michelin’s, so next time i’ll Go back to those.

Thank Mr Mutant :) Have you noticed any impact on performance when compared to the Michelins? I noticed that they can spin occasionally when accelerating hard or when conditions are very wet.

And seeing that they're E rated for fuel economy, are you noticing a decrease in range at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

unkel wrote: »
    I'm driving my Ioniq as hard as I can. Only ever sport mode and I take pleasure (still) from getting off from the lights at Ferrari speeds every single time. My car knows this and still it told me I had a 222km range this morning when I unplugged it :D

222!!! The max I have seen in the few months I have it is 181km!
    That's crazy, how can there be a 40km difference at full charge? And I know you drive in sport all the time! So your not driving miss daisy.

lafors wrote: »
    That's crazy, how can there be a 40km difference at full charge? And I know you drive in sport all the time! So your not driving miss daisy.

All through the last 9 months of winter I always saw 180km as the predicted range but some days I would only actually get 150-160km. In recent days I've see a maximum of 197km but the weather has been a lot better lately and the mornings are brighter so I'm not using headlights, wipers and heater as much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

woppers wrote: »
    Christ, I've loads of catching up to do in this forum :( I see that some of you guys updated the software yourselves. Has anyone had any bad experiences or mishaps? Is it possible to brick the car or void the warranty if you mess up the update?

Also, what tyres are people recommending when replacing them? I've around 45% left on them after 32,000km

You certainly do, because they're talking about updating the software on the ABL chargepoints fitted by ESB eCars from 16A to 32A.

Nobody has updated the software on their car themselves!

Soarer wrote: »
    You certainly do, because they're talking about updating the software on the ABL chargepoints fitted by ESB eCars from 16A to 32A.

Are you sure about that? There was a post here about 10 pages back when viewing on desktop from a guy who updated his car with instructions from a German forum. I'll see if I can find the post again.

I already have my charger upgraded to 32A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yes some people have. Lafors for one did it himself and posted all the details in here. Maybe you should read the thread again yourself :p

Mine was done by the dealer (for free) a few weeks ago.

Bit of a fluke I'd say. Last few days in the warm weather doing nothing but local drives (no motorway), so the range shoots up.

Here's the links for the software update....
    FYI, do this at your own risk!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1crW6-dJCE_m35XGbV6fYHWVsbuqYVj7-/view?usp=sharing

He applied the MD5 to verify it wasn't modified, it wasn't fyi.
    (MD5 hash sum: 7826b87eff33099772d6396abffd2eb0)

Downloaded and unzipped, it's just over 1gb file and unzipped to over 15gb.

Then use any disk image software, I used one I already had installed though in the forum they were using Win32 Disk Imager. I've used it before, works well and is simple to use.

Then get a blank SD card, I used a spare 64gb I had, and write the IMG file to the card... It took about 20 min to write it.

Then once done. Get in your car, start it up, and when the head unit is on take out the maps SD. Put in your imaged SD and a menu pops up asking do you want to update.

Then it uploaded the update, reboots, then install 3 updates, reboots between each one. Last one takes a while, maybe 5-10 minutes so be patient... That last 96%-100% takes ages!

Then it will restore you old data. It restored most of mine just missing a few radio stations favourites.

Then once done it'll tell you, then take out the SD and put in the maps and you're done!

Here's the post I was talking about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

I updated the head unit firmware, the nav firmware and the maps myself. A very simple job.

The new nav firmware is a lot better than the older one. The new maps are a lot more reliable too.

I updated the head unit firmware, the nav firmware and the maps myself. A very simple job.

The new nav firmware is a lot better than the older one. The new maps are a lot more reliable too.

Mine was in for its 30k check a couple of weeks ago but I haven't checked the software version to see if it was pimped. I must go have a gawk.

Regarding the maps, do you use the onboard maps much? I only used them once when I forgot my phone. Other than that I use a mixture of Waze and Google Maps through Android Auto.

• Advertisement

Are you sure about that? There was a post here about 10 pages back when viewing on desktop from a guy who updated his car with instructions from a German forum. I'll see if I can find the post again.

I already have my charger upgraded to 32A.
    Yes some people have. Lafors for one did it himself and posted all the details in here. Maybe you should read the thread again yourself :p

Mine was done by the dealer (for free) a few weeks ago.
    Here's the post I was talking about

Apologies.

I normally don't frequent this thread. I find out everything I need to know about the Ioniq from owners polluting every other thread to tell us how good the Ioniq is at travelling from Dublin to Cork at real speeds! ;)

As for the updating software, that's madness when you can get the dealer to do it!

I normally don't frequent this thread. I find out everything I need to know about the Ioniq from owners polluting every other thread to tell us how good the Ioniq is at travelling from Dublin to Cork at real speeds! ;)

Begs the question. What were you doing in here then reading and posting with what seemed by be quite some authority?

I guess you're a secret Ioniq admirer :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

I thought I had bookmarked your post on how you did the nav but I can't find it, any chance of a link?

Apologies

No problem at all my good man :)
    Apologies.

Haha! They have a point though :D;)
    As for the updating software, that's madness when you can get the dealer to do it!

I'd tend to agree with you on this point. I'm used to modifying consoles, phones, sat navs, set top boxes etc and in doing so I've had some great experiences doing it while also some extremely horrible experiences where I thought I had bricked a particular device so when it comes to messing with with a €39k car, I'm erring on the side of caution due to bad past experiences.

Now with that being said, it does seem like an extremely easy process with almost nothing that can go wrong. My local dealer is only 3km away from me and when it was in for its 30k maintenance check, it was in on a Friday evening and they had to change the motor in the charge module so maybe they were under a bit of pressure and forgot to update the software.

Mine was in for its 30k check a couple of weeks ago but I haven't checked the software version to see if it was pimped. I must go have a gawk.

Regarding the maps, do you use the onboard maps much? I only used them once when I forgot my phone. Other than that I use a mixture of Waze and Google Maps through Android Auto.
    The old maps were a bit shyte, and I used Google Maps. I find myself using the onboard maps a bit more now.

When I bought the car, I asked the dealer to make sure the firmware and maps were up to date. Of course, they weren't. If you want something done right... ;)

Apologies.

I bet you haven't heard about the I3 Rex anywhere. :D

Had a thumbs up exchange with a 181D white Ioniq who came off the N4 Lucan ramp at Woodies turning right (south) at about 4:45PM yesterday. Anyone in here? :)

It's funny you should me mention acknowledging fellow Ioniq drivers. I was overtaken by a 172ww heading south on the M11 just before exit no 5 for Bray. Myself and the guy gave each other a wave but I had a guy I work with In the car with. As soon as he told my work colleagues, everyone was sending me this video :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I have noticed a change in the range. It's inconsistent at the minute with the changing weather, but my personal feeling is that the difference is there.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

The old maps were a bit shyte, and I used Google Maps. I find myself using the onboard maps a bit more now.

When I bought the car, I asked the dealer to make sure the firmware and maps were up to date. Of course, they weren't. If you want something done right... ;)

Nice one! I'd be interested in updating the maps if you have the instructions handy? I haven't been on this thread for around 7-8 months so I don't think I'll be able to dig through the thread to find it.

• Advertisement

Nice one! I'd be interested in updating the maps if you have the instructions handy? I haven't been on this thread for around 7-8 months so I don't think I'll be able to dig through the thread to find it.

I wrote a whole thing, then realised that not everyone is as brave/foolhardy as I am. I wouldn't encourage anyone to do this themselves, even if it is really easy. :D:D

Your dealer will do the updates, if you push him/her.

Top man! Cheers!

I wrote a whole thing, then realised that not everyone is as brave/foolhardy as I am. I wouldn't encourage anyone to do this themselves, even if it is really easy. :D:D

Your dealer will do the updates, if you push him/her.

Haha :D I think you might be right. My dealer is 3km away from me so I might as well let them do it. Thanks for the instructions though

No wonder my range is so high. Just checked and my last few trips used around 10kWh/100km :eek:

No wonder my range is so high. Just checked and my last few trips used around 10kWh/100km :eek:

How in the name of Jaysus are you managing that eh? :D

Do you drive on motorways at all or is it all 100kmph roads or less? If I wasn't always on motorways I'd say I could squeeze another 10-20km out of the range

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Unkel, you must be driving it on the back of a truck!
    How the hell do you get that consumption?

• Advertisement

It's just the last few days in the summer temps. Herself has been driving most of it. When you're relaxed and don't put the foot down and drive in urban cycles (I did a bit of M50, but it was mostly between N3 and N4 and back, so barely making it to 100km/h) in 20-25C, I guess Ioniq is a 10kWh/100km car

The German dude who took it for a long gentle drive on German provincial roads last year managed an average of about 6.5kWh/100km and he drove over 360km on one charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Can't wait to collect my Ioniq ... the excitement is unbearable. Considering it's a head over heart (heart being model S now, instead of model 3 later) decision this is surprising.

And... let's just say I've been browsing for some appropriate Ioniq based merchandise
    https://shop.spreadshirt.de/elektromerch/ioniq+elektro-A109740734

It's just the last few days in the summer temps. Herself has been driving most of it. When you're relaxed and don't put the foot down and drive in urban cycles (I did a bit of M50, but it was mostly between N3 and N4 and back, so barely making it to 100km/h) in 20-25C, I guess Ioniq is a 10kWh/100km car

The German dude who took it for a long gentle drive on German provincial roads last year managed an average of about 6.5kWh/100km and he drove over 360km on one charge.

Best I could get the last few days in the i3 was about 12 Kwh/100 km under 100 probably more 60-90 Km/h.

So that's good going in the Ioniq best I could get in the Leaf with a struggle was about 13.5 Kwh/100 km it was easier to get 12 in the i3.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jeditraining1

Has anyone heard anything about the possibility of the 2017 IONIQ (28 / 31 kW) having an available upgrade to a 40kW due to the current "Shortage". This is something that was touted at a meeting I was at last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Kangas daddy

I think I’m losing the will to persevere with the Nissan sakes guy that’s stalling these past 3-4 week’s now on an extended leaf test drive so am increasingly thinking of going Ioniq. Couple of points for clarification if I may ask?

The Ioniq charges on a diff system than leaf? If so what should I look for on the ESB map of charging points?
    The Ioniq I think is capable of taking charge at higher rates & thus quicker than leaf if the chargers are upgraded to deliver faster?
    I do 40km trips to/from work mostly on motorway but was considering using non motorway regional roads. In winter though these will not be treated for ice etc so probably will revert to motorway driving. I read somewhere here or in the leaf thread that winter performance of leaf isn’t that much better than Ioniq?

Assuming there’s an Ioniq to be had in the country would you recommend the smaller battery and range Ioniq above the equally scarce leaf?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

I think I’m losing the will to persevere with the Nissan sakes guy that’s stalling these past 3-4 week’s now on an extended leaf test drive so am increasingly thinking of going Ioniq. Couple of points for clarification if I may ask?

The Ioniq charges on a diff system than leaf? If so what should I look for on the ESB map of charging points?
    You are looking for CCS
    The Ioniq I think is capable of taking charge at higher rates & thus quicker than leaf if the chargers are upgraded to deliver faster?
    Theoretically it can charge up to 70kw/h but realistically you are looking at close to 50kw/h until Ionity chargers roll out and then it can charge faster on these
    I do 40km trips to/from work mostly on motorway but was considering using non motorway regional roads. In winter though these will not be treated for ice etc so probably will revert to motorway driving. I read somewhere here or in the leaf thread that winter performance of leaf isn’t that much better than Ioniq?
    Are you considering regional roads to maximise your battery range? For 80km round trip either car would be great and would only need a charge every 2nd day if there was no additional driving.
    Assuming there’s an Ioniq to be had in the country would you recommend the smaller battery and range Ioniq above the equally scarce leaf?

Test drive both and see what you think.
    I was initially going to get Ioniq but decided on Leaf after test drive.

Many thanks - very helpful. Yes I was only considering non motorway routes to see if it’d get better range & thus less charges. I know I can charge at home overnight but I want to use the free public charging as long as it’s still free to help recoup the cost of purchasing. It may all be academic if there are no Ioniq vehicles available as well as no leafs but thank you for the info. I’ve learned a lot about EVs but know there’s so much more I still have to learn so appreciate your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Many thanks - very helpful. Yes I was only considering non motorway routes to see if it’d get better range & thus less charges. I know I can charge at home overnight but I want to use the free public charging as long as it’s still free to help recoup the cost of purchasing. It may all be academic if there are no Ioniq vehicles available as well as no leafs but thank you for the info. I’ve learned a lot about EVs but know there’s so much more I still have to learn so appreciate your help.

Motorway driving doesn't make as much of a difference in an Ioniqas it does in a leaf.

If it's not very convenient using public chargers is silly. You would save a max of maybe €4 per hour so think of it as being paid €4 to sit in your car for an hour it's not really worth it.

Disclaimer: I'm an Ioniq owner and I haven't driven a Leaf 2 yet.

I've had an Ioniq for almost a year. I had the Leaf 2 book for a test drive this weekend but something came up so I had to cancel. I'll test drive it over the coming weeks. My journey to work is 121km each way. I have to charge my car in work for the return journey. The guy in the Nissan dealership told me that I would probably only get around 200km out fo the Leaf 2 when driving 120kmph on motorways so I wouldn't be able to make a round trip in the Leaf either.

Over half of my 121km trip is 120kmph. I wrote the actual distances and speeds I travel on a post a few pages back. In the depts of winter on dark, cold wet days my worst range was around 150-160km but today I drove the 121km journey home and I still had 85km when I got home.

I'm pretty impressed with that range. I only used the aircon for around 10-20 minutes, no headlights or wipers.

Regarding using the public charging network, 99% of my charging is done at home. it's way more convenient. I switched to Energia and got their night rate electricity rates and it's only 6.65 cent a kw. So 6.65 * 28kw battery = €1.86 to charge at home. So it works out around 1 cent per km.

Also the 5 year unlimited mileage warranty on the Ioniq will make you rest easy.

Bjorn Nyland has a vide on youtube which compares both cars. The Ioniq seems much more efficient. He also uploaded another video explaining the high consumption of the Leaf but I got bored watching it :)

With all that being said, I'm not dissing the Leaf here either, I'm sure it's a fantastic car. This is just my experience of owning an Ioniq. If I'm upgrading I want a car that will do 300km+ comfortably on a single charge.

I may upgrade to the Hyundai Kona when it becomes available.

Has anyone heard anything about the possibility of the 2017 IONIQ (28 / 31 kW) having an available upgrade to a 40kW due to the current "Shortage". This is something that was touted at a meeting I was at last weekend.

My dealer told me last year that while it looks like it may be possible to swap a bigger battery into the Ioniq in the future, he didn't know if hyundai were going to offer this service or push new sales instead.

Thars not an official Hyundai statement, that was just this guy's opinion and he's been spot on with his other predictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I know I can charge at home overnight but I want to use the free public charging as long as it’s still free to help recoup the cost of purchasing.
    Ridiculous! This is exactly why some form of payment needs to be brought in asap.
    I hope you get stuck behind a queue of locals getting their free leccy some night when you're miles from home and just need a few mins on an fcp to get home.

If you need to use the public chargers to help recoup the purchase price, you probably can't afford the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The cost to charge is 1 maybe 2 euro at home

If you really need to charge using the public system to recoup costs then you would be better off not buying the car at all......

Nobody should be buying an electric car at the moment and require the public system to be used as anything other than an emergency back up

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The cost to charge is 1 maybe 2 euro at home

If you really need to charge using the public system to recoup costs then you would be better off not buying the car at all......

Nobody should be buying an electric car at the moment and require the public system to be used as anything other than an emergency back up
    +1
    It's ridiculous to spend many thousands on an EV then waste your and everyone else's time at a charger to recoup max €2.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

ah now come on - charging Ioniq fully will cost you about 1.5 euro. Charging every second day will mean you will probably spend about 20-25 euro per month on extra electricity. Will not really help recoup the cost of the car and will ANNOY the hell out of users like me who sometimes need to use the fast chargers to get home. Not mentioning lost time just waiting somewhere just for the car to charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

Anyone have screen shot of latest soft/firmware?

stesaurus wrote: »
    Ridiculous! This is exactly why some form of payment needs to be brought in asap.
    I hope you get stuck behind a queue of locals getting their free leccy some night when you're miles from home and just need a few mins on an fcp to get home.

Thankyou for your kind thoughts. I hope life brings to you all you expect.

Thankyou for your kind thoughts. I hope life brings to you all you expect.
    With this kind of attitude I hope it does for you too.
    Maybe on the way to a terminally ill family member or something and there's 2 locals ahead of you.

Crass example perhaps, but it illustrates why your intended (ab)use of the public network is wrong.

Ah here now. You're all not very welcoming to a new member of our EV community.

The public charging network is free to use for anyone. It's not Kangas daddy's fault it is like that and it's not his fault to make use of it. It would be better for all of us if we had to pay for charging, but that is not yet the case.

We are supposed to be a nice community and we should behave like that. We should engage. And in my experience we are generally quite good at that. If "a local" is charging at an FCP and someone who really needs the charge "the stranger" arrives, it is normal and civilised that the two talk and that the local will stop charging to let the stranger get the juice he needs

The public charging network is free to use for anyone. It's not Kangas daddy's fault it is like that and it's not his fault to make use of it. It would be better for all of us if we had to pay for charging, but that is not yet the case.

We are supposed to be a nice community and we should behave like that. We should engage. And in my experience we are generally quite good at that. If "a local" is charging at an FCP and someone who really needs the charge "the stranger" arrives, it is normal and civilised that the two talk and that the local will stop charging to let the stranger get the juice he needs
    The message was explained to him and he doesn't get it and got passive aggressive.
    No point in engaging with people like that, it's best instead to persuade those in power to make rules to stop him or make it not worth his while.

Sorry if I seemed a bit harsh but really I would not recommend an electric car to anyone if they will need to use the public network. I have always said that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Reminds me of the few taxis that hog the free chargers.
    On another note I've never seen so many Prius before as taxis either.

It's like 96 when all that jap import Toyotas were taxis oh and Diesel so it's nice to see a shift to better vehicles.

ELM327 wrote: »
    The message was explained to him and he doesn't get it and got passive aggressive.

It wasn't explained very well and it's not something a novice EV owner automatically understands. EVs are typically quite expensive to buy (despite the generous subsidies) and every single EV buyer makes the case to himself justifying the purchase with the savings in running costs. It's only natural to want to charge it for free (and to boast to others about it :D)

The aggression came from other posters first BTW imho.

It wasn't explained very well and it's not something a novice EV owner automatically understands. EVs are typically quite expensive to buy (despite the generous subsidies) and every single EV buyer makes the case to himself justifying the purchase with the savings in running costs. It's only natural to want to charge it for free (and to boast to others about it :D)

If 1 euro makes a difference then you shouldnt have bought a car at all.
    To be fair.

• Advertisement

As I said maybe I was a bit aggressive in post(a bit less than other people) but as I said people should not be using the system anymore as a free fuel to offset the price of the car

The system should be used as an emergency, which is the way I use it. If everyone done the same their would be less issues...

You have people posting on facebook about trying to get to hospitals/sick relatives and not been able to because the network is blocked up...

As the poster is potentially a new customer I think they should be made aware of the issues and the correct way to use the network. No point someone buying a20k car because they think they have free fuel when they can buy a 15k car and just charge at home.....you will get a lot of km's for 5k worth of electricity!!!!

Just my opinion....:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement