Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spray tan questions for a total newbie.

Options
  • 20-02-2016 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭

I have a few spray tan questions; bear with me as this is completely new to me so I have questions that might sound silly.

Firstly, I'm pale. Really white. I'm off to a wedding in two weeks and I've a really nice dress but it will expose my arms and legs and I would like to get rid of the milk bottle whiteness.

I do not want to be orange or even brown; just a slight colour that will warm my skin up.
    Do I just ask for a light tan?

Secondly, I understand you are not to shower until the next day; that's fine, but when you do shower, do you avoid those scrubby puff things?

Will they remove the tan if you scrub too hard?

Basically, how do you actually shower the next day?
    And if I towel dry my body, will the tan be patchy and streaky from rubbing?

Thirdly, can you shave your legs?
    I used self-tan before and shaving your legs actually removed the tan.
    Would I better off using Veet cream the day before the spray-tan? (The wedding will be on a Saturday and I was going to get the tan done on the Thursday).

Will the tan come off on my clothes?
    The last thing I want is the tan on my new dress!!

I know I'm asking silly things but I'm the type of person who needs thir hand held for things like this and answering these for me will really help put my mind at ease.
    Thank you in advance for your answers and patience!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

fussyonion wrote: »
    I have a few spray tan questions; bear with me as this is completely new to me so I have questions that might sound silly.

Firstly, I'm pale. Really white. I'm off to a wedding in two weeks and I've a really nice dress but it will expose my arms and legs and I would like to get rid of the milk bottle whiteness.

I do not want to be orange or even brown; just a slight colour that will warm my skin up.
    Do I just ask for a light tan?

Secondly, I understand you are not to shower until the next day; that's fine, but when you do shower, do you avoid those scrubby puff things?

Will they remove the tan if you scrub too hard?

Basically, how do you actually shower the next day?
    And if I towel dry my body, will the tan be patchy and streaky from rubbing?

Thirdly, can you shave your legs?
    I used self-tan before and shaving your legs actually removed the tan.
    Would I better off using Veet cream the day before the spray-tan? (The wedding will be on a Saturday and I was going to get the tan done on the Thursday).

Will the tan come off on my clothes?
    The last thing I want is the tan on my new dress!!

I know I'm asking silly things but I'm the type of person who needs thir hand held for things like this and answering these for me will really help put my mind at ease.
    Thank you in advance for your answers and patience!!

If it's your first tan and you're very pale then I would do a trial run this week to see how it goes. A lot of salons do dark dark dark and light might still be too dark or a bit orangey.
    A lot of really good self tanners on the market at the mo that might work better and I wouldn't risk it if its just before a wedding.

You don't necessarily have to wait a day to shower, depends on what they tell you but I've only ever had to wait 5-8 hours. I've never had a problem with the shower puffs using a shower gel but not using it to scrub like with an exfoliator.

I would exfoliate and shave the day before and then moisturize any dry parts. But don't use a new moisturizer use something you'd use on a regular basis.
    Also shaving for 2-3 days after isn't really a great idea it can strip the tan.
    Don't shower directly before leave it at least a few hours but I'd do it the night before. Can't answer on the veet I'm afraid.
    Don't go swimming/to the gym/running/anything sweaty. Don't wash your hands too much.

You should have loose old clothing for afterwards and I never wear a bra either.

Pat your skin dry with a towel don't rub.

It should definitely not come off on the dress on the day if it's done properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Lots of excellent advice there from ameliams :)

Just one thing I wanted to add. When you have your shower the next day and see tan washing off and the water looking very brown, DON'T PANIC! This is perfectly normal and will definitely happen. I know it looks as though all your tan is washing off, but it's really not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Thank you both for the great advice, you've really helped. I'll let you know how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Where are you based? Something like cocoa brown one hour tan could be prefect for you as you rinse (not wash) it off 1-3 hours after its applied.
    Day before tan I always do a big exfoliation, focus on knees, elbows, heels, armpits. I'd apply a really good moisturiser after too.
    An hour or so before the tan I shower and make sure there's no oil left on my skin. I then put body butter in the dry areas.
    If your going to a salon make sure you plan what your wearing and how your getting home (no walking in the rain for example).
    I personally do shave my legs the day after tan/morning of event, it does remove the tan a bit but I use Sally Hanson mixed with a light moisturiser to even it out on my legs- ideally you'd wax I suppose a day out so before the tan, but I'm never that organised/rich

Another option might be a gradual tanner as they're very light and will just tan away the grey look of pale skin (well my skin).

I usually do a dark tan two nights before a big event and then gradual tanner night before, gives me more time to get everything else ready the night before and there's less of a risk of fake tan smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

AFAIK the lightest tan most salons use is 9%DHA, which is still pretty dark if you're very pale.

Tbh if I were you I'd be going down the gradual tanner route, or even an instant tan (like the cocoa brown instant tanner). They come in different shades and give you more control over the colour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Also, don't be worried if the tan looks ridiculously dark when applied, you won't see the true colour until the excess washes off in the shower.

Regarding having a shower, I was told not to use shower gel, no shaving, luke warm water only and gently towel dry afterwards.

All that being said, if you're very pale, I'd echo the previous posters concerns that all spray tans might be a bit much.

Have you ever tried any of the gradual tanning moisturisers? I'm pale myself and I prefer this route these days. It just takes the pasty/gray tones out of your skin rather than looking overly tanned. I find it enough, and i love the Dove version, but everyone has their own favs.

Advertisement