Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone reactivation and sky broadband.

Options
  • 20-02-2016 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

I have a phone line in my flat which hasn't been active for about 10 years now and I want to get in sky broadband but the whole thing is very confusing. I have all of the lines and sockets in situ and even have the old telephone number to hand. I rang Sky and told them that I want to go with their product but they said that they couldn't find the line. I told them my situation and that all I wanted was broadband only. They said that other providers would reconnect me but it "could cost a quite a lot to do so" but if I got in the TV package and dish they could treat me as a sky customer and waive the package and set me up on a great deal. Eir advertize a €25 installation fee to set up but then tie you into a 12 month contract but I can't figure out if switching to sky will cover the line rental on this.

I am in sales long enough know that the whole TV package gets me cheaper broadband is a load of BS so here is my thing.

Has anyone else had experience of reactivating an installed phone line and taking up a package with a company other than eir. I don't mind paying €25 to set it up but I don't want to be left with 2 bills or no service for ages. All I want is my phone line activated and a 100MB broadband package for 12 months. I get all of the TV I want to watch off the internet so I don't need the extra bills for something that I can get for free.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its the €150 wholesale install fee they care about.

Take a 12mo contract as example:
    BB Only
    €40 /mo
    -€30/mo to openEir

= €120
    -€150 to openEir for install
    -Own operating costs.

Basically new lines lose money for ~2yrs or so. But if your premium is €80/mo to include TV and they still only pay a tiny bit more in relicensing fees then its a lot more economic for them.

If you want to shaft Eir or Vodafone you can sign up, let the line be connected then cancel the service within two weeks then sign up with Sky.

Advertisement