Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Break for Solo Traveller

• 20-02-2016 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for some recommendations for an up to 6 days trip to anywhere in Europe some time in late March or early April.

I've a vast array of interests from activities such as cycling, hiking, people watching and sight-seeing. I'm not really fussed on going anywhere just to faff about.

Not really fussed on whether it is activity based or sight based, just as long as there is plenty to do and preferably direct flights.

I'd be looking to travel out of Dublin or either Belfast airports.

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hi,

I'm looking for some recommendations for an up to 6 days trip to anywhere in Europe some time in late March or early April.

I've a vast array of interests from activities such as cycling, hiking, people watching and sight-seeing. I'm not really fussed on going anywhere just to faff about.

Not really fussed on whether it is activity based or sight based, just as long as there is plenty to do and preferably direct flights.

I'd be looking to travel out of Dublin or either Belfast airports.

Thanks,
    Ryanair start flying direct to Vigo in April. I went there solo via Madrid last summer and it was perfect. Day trips to the Cies islands and Porto are so cheap and easy too.

Heading back there with friends in April myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Just back from Spain at start of the year, so was possibly hoping for another country. Although that area looks great too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Just back from Spain at start of the year, so was possibly hoping for another country. Although that area looks great too!

It's very different from the rest of Spain, much more celtic. So green.

athtrasna wrote: »
    It's very different from the rest of Spain, much more celtic. So green.

I'm learning Spanish at the minute, but want a break from Spain in its totality - I was there for a month recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

was looking at eastern europe myself for similar trip..one that has always seemed to appeal to me is Tallinn in estonia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭Ryan Mac Sweeney

Hi
    I have read your post. I would suggest Prague as a city to go on your own as my aunt went there by herself in December 2005 as she was meeting her then boyfriend who was away in Bosnia at the time. It is a great city as it is very gothic with Draculas Castle Charles Bridge and plenty of other attractions. It is a very cheap city and you can fly direct from Dublin. Berlin in Germany is another option as it is very popular with solo travellers and there is also lots to see and do there such as the Berlin Wall and Brandenburg Gate. You can fly direct from Dublin to Berlin Schonfield with Ryanair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

I highly recommend Munich/Bavaria for an outdoors - cycling, hiking holiday. The scenery is spectacular, particularly in Upper Bavaria. I recommend staying in Munich and using it as a bad for day trips. Even Munich by itself is great but it would be a shame not to see the countryside at least once. The excellent (and cheap!) rail network means you do not need to hire a car.
    Since you mentioned cycling there's a tour group in Munich called Mike's Bike Tours which I have heard very positive things about so that might be worth investigating.
    https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g187309-d543018-Reviews-Mike_s_Bike_Tours-Munich_Upper_Bavaria_Bavaria.html

Here is a list of only some of the area's attractions:

A must see is Neuschwanstein Castle, probably the most famous castle in the world.
    Berchtesgaden and Salzburg are certainly worth visiting and are easy day trips from Munich with the Bavaria Ticket.
    Rothenburg ob der Tauber
    Nuremberg
    Zugspitze, Germany's highest mountain (there's a cable car up!)
    Linderhof Palace
    Herrenchiemsee Palace
    Deutsches Museum (Munich)
    Nymphenburg Palace (Munich)
    Residenz Palace (Munich)
    BMW Exhibition/Museum (Munich)
    Tierpark Hellabrunn (Zoo - Munich)
    English Garden (Munich)
    Eagle's Nest (Hitler's mountain retreat - Berchtesgaden)
    Lindau/Lake Konstanz
    Mittenwald
    Oberammergau

From Dublin, Lufthansa and Aer Lingus fly to Munich. Ryanair also fly to Memmingen but this is a 1.5 to 2.5 hour bus/train journey from Munich (variable time is due to transport connections at time of day).

I've been in Munich two years ago and visited pretty mutch everywhere in your list!

I was in Prague about ten years ago too! I must be better travelled than I thought I was.

Thanks.

Advertisement