Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The exact 100 year anniversary of the reading of the proclamation

Options
  • 20-02-2016 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

So just wondering if anyone knows if there is gonna be a reading of the proclamation on the exact 100 anniversary i.e. 12:04pm April 24th at the GPO.
    I can't seem to find anything about it, the only events I can find seem to be on Easter Sunday but that falls on March 27 this year.

I myself will be going to the GPO at 12:04pm April 24th, surly other people are too especially as it falls on a Sunday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

So just wondering if anyone knows if there is gonna be a reading of the proclamation on the exact 100 anniversary i.e. 12:04pm April 24th at the GPO.
    I can't seem to find anything about it, the only events I can find seem to be on Easter Sunday but that falls on March 27 this year.

I myself will be going to the GPO at 12:04pm April 24th, surly other people are too especially as it falls on a Sunday

I suspect many people will be there, an abundance of freelance proclamation readers, unco-ordinated and chaotic, but hopefully good humoured.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Beaulieu

Strictly speaking as Dublin was 25 mins behind GMT in April 1916 the 100th anniversary will occur at 12.29pm our time ie GMT today assuming the delay of 4 mins to go in and come back out and read the proclamation is correct.

See http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/dublin-lost-its-time-zone-and-25-minutes-after-1916-rising-1.1977411 for more on this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Beaulieu wrote: »
    Strictly speaking as Dublin was 25 mins behind GMT in April 1916 the 100th anniversary will occur at 12.29pm our time ie GMT today assuming the delay of 4 mins to go in and come back out and read the proclamation is correct.

See http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/dublin-lost-its-time-zone-and-25-minutes-after-1916-rising-1.1977411 for more on this.

I was just going to comment on this until I saw your post. I'm glad I'm not the only pedant! :D

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Yeah, I plan on heading in for a looksee. I will however try and display a pleasant demeanour.

Advertisement