Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Title needs fixing, it's 2016, not 2015 :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Title needs fixing, it's 2016, not 2015 :P

Don't know what you're talking about <__<''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Headshot wrote: »
    lads why are you feeding him ffs

Hey headshot, this might be an option for you, or anyone else if they want.

Download greasemonkey script manager (I use FF and it works)
    Put the dude on ignore list You wont see his post or the posts that quoted him.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Don't know what you're talking about <__<''

Ninja edit FTW :pac:

So when can we realistically expect Van Gaal to be booted, and José to take over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

48458dd0-c8d3-11e4-9307-a9f0daee534f_promo242841640-copy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I just had a look at the opening post of the previous thread...
    Hopefully a new thread will see an upturn in fortunes

Something all terribly Liverpool about Manchester Utd now....enjoy! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Would love to have started this off with news Jose was signing. Hopefully soon. Hopefully this thread has more luck than the last....

Usual rules. Go!

Sorry was confusing you with FutureGuy in the last thread when I was saying, say the catchprase! :o ps really hope we get Mourinho.

Good thing we enjoyed chanting "20 times" as much as we did because it'll be a while before we'll be chanting "21".

In more positive musings; Anthony Martial.

Edit: Astradave you saw out the last thread with a classic, V3ttel would be proud I imagine :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

tumblr_n0fxavKpk51ri8syvo1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Y

• Advertisement

Realistically, when José is appointed, are many expecting him to quieten down in regards to his antics, seeing as he wanted the United job so badly, or will it be business as usual with him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Realistically, when José is appointed, are many expecting him to quieten down in regards to his antics, seeing as he wanted the United job so badly, or will it be business as usual with him?

Business as usual but I'd expect him to take a more long term approach as he'd likely be here for 4/5 least years (if he is successful)

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Business as usual but I'd expect him to take a more long term approach as he'd likely be here for 4/5 least years (if he is successful)

Would be excellent if he did more than 3 years, if he were to re-establish United's dominance, I honestly wouldn't mind his antics. Other will probably disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Business as usual hopefully. The stylin' and profilin', eye-gougin', doctor blamin', touchline runnin' son of a gun!

jose-morhino-was-pumped-after-chelseas-goal-against-liverpool-a.gif?w=1000

Woo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Poor auld van gaal gonna be applying for pension or the dole though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

astradave wrote: »

The last time I saw as bad a Photoshop as that was on the ITV news in the mid 90s.

Collymore had signed for Liverpool and they literally copy and pasted his face onto a Liverpool jersey, must have been ms paint.

My cousin was an LFC fan at the time and he couldn't get over how bad it was.

Fantastic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I reckon the change will happen between Shrewsbury and Arsenal game.

Hope we win on Monday but i wouldnt be surprised if we lose.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    I reckon the change will happen between Shrewsbury and Arsenal game.

Hope we win on Monday but i wouldnt be surprised if we lose.

I will jump up and down if it does. I'm convinced it's at the end of season. They might annouce it earlier if they are forced too due to leaks such as today.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Business as usual hopefully. The stylin' and profilin', eye-gougin', doctor blamin', touchline runnin' son of a gun!

Woo!

The wondering about Jose's behaviour should he become United manager reminds me of this scene from Eastbound and Down, one of my favourite shows, marked at the relevant point here though the whole scene is great...

https://youtu.be/geQghIbdyW0?t=103

Won't embed for some reason.

But seriously, hopefully the prestige of the job, Jose's apparent desire to get it, and the concern from some of the United elite about his behaviour would make him a bit less c*nty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Eastbound and Down is a great show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Very little hope.

He'll very likely win a league.

He'll defo get into the CL.

But he won't there in 4/5 years.

But if he's backed correctly by the board he'll get stuff done and make the club successful.

All 4 seasons, great laughs but a good story with layers of depth and some serious human moments. The kind of show I can rewatch, and often do.

Speaking of great shows, just finished my latest viewing of my favourite of them all, HBO's Deadwood. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is into their TV dramas. Anyway, I guess this isn't the TV forum.

On topic; The longer the Jose links flourish without comment from United, the more I believe he will be the next United manager. Still though, they should come out with something IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Jose's behaviour is part of why I want him.

Three years with dire, emotionless managers is enough. Give me someone with a bit of passion and a bit of personality. I don't want someone who opposition fans have no opinion of. I want someone who they'll hate, who'll wind them up, who'll go running down the touchline when we score.

There's enough bland, cardboard, dour characters at the club. I want someone to make being a United fan fun again. Don't care how wrong or offensive or childish he is. I want a cunt we can call our own.

Being a United fan was at it's best when we had Keane chasing Vieira down the tunnel and threatening him, when Ferguson lost it at the FA and when he lost it on the touchlines, when Rooney was cupping his ears in front of the Kop, when Ronaldo was showboating in stoppage time, when Tevez was diving into tackles headfirst, when Rafael was squaring up to Tevez, when Scholes and the Nevilles were targetting Reyes, when Vidic was bleeding more than he was flinching, when Schmeichel was staring down Ian Wright, when Cantona was quite literally kicking ass and pole dancing on his comeback, when Stam was grabbing Vieira by the throat, when Neville was grabbing at the crest of his jersey against Liverpool, when Evra was celebrating in Suarez face, and when Van Nistelrooy was screaming his lungs up after scoring against Arsenal.

We have a large collection of inoffensive, personality-void characters at this club who are sapped of what little character they have by a school principal with one eye on retirement as a manager and a cardboard cutout of an assistant manager.

Who are the figureheads at this club? Van Gaal? He has as much character as a leaving cert Irish oral tape test. Giggs? Possibly the dullest man to have ever lived. Yoga, seriously? Rooney - our captain? The only thing he's lost more than his pace and first touch in the last 5 years is his passion. He's only playing for a paycheck. Smalling, our vice captain? I take back what I said about Giggs. David De Gea, our only world class player? One of the blandest twitter accounts I've ever seen and I follow a mate who does nothing but retweet Young Fine Gael. Have you seen the way our robot players dress on club nights out? Fuck that tbh.

Our football is boring and our character is even worse. Give me someone who will liven things up any day of the week, and if he has a proven pedigree as a winner then even better. We need a cunt like Mourinho.

I have never heard of it

Looks funny

gosplan wrote: »
    Very little hope.

He'll very likely win a league.

He'll defo get into the CL.

But he won't there in 4/5 years.

But if he's backed correctly by the board he'll get stuff done and make the club successful.

But see it surely would be in his interest to stay long term as there is not much jobs left for him to get after this!

Jose's behaviour is part of why I want him.

Three years with dire, emotionless managers is enough. Give me someone with a bit of passion and a bit of personality. I don't want someone who opposition fans have no opinion of. I want someone who they'll hate, who'll wind them up, who'll go running down the touchline when we score.

There's enough bland, cardboard, dour characters at the club. I want someone to make being a United fan fun again. Don't care how wrong or offensive or childish he is. I want a cunt we can call our own.

Being a United fan was at it's best when we had Keane chasing Vieira down the tunnel and threatening him, when Ferguson lost it at the FA and when he lost it on the touchlines, when Rooney was cupping his ears in front of the Kop, when Ronaldo was showboating in stoppage time, when Tevez was diving into tackles headfirst, when Rafael was squaring up to Tevez, when Scholes and the Nevilles were targetting Reyes, when Vidic was bleeding more than he was flinching, when Schmeichel was choking Ian Wright etc.

We have a large collection of inoffensive, personality-void characters at this club who are sapped of what little character they have by a school principal with one eye on retirement as a manager and a cardboard cutout of an assistant manager.

Our football is boring and our character is even worse. Give me someone who will liven things up any day of the week, and if he has a proven pedigree as a winner then even better. We need a cunt like Mourinho.
    Fantastic post

Exactly what I'm thinking too lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Down in my plums is a great scene...did it even make it into an episode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

But see it surely would be in his interest to stay long term as there is not much jobs left for him to get after this!

PSG, then the Portugal job. Retire, happy days.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

PSG, then the Portugal job. Retire, happy days.

But he wants to be based in UK for a few more years!

• Advertisement

But he wants to be based in UK for a few more years!

You asked about after us though right? He could also theoretically leave the kids stay in school in London and manage PSG. Not much of a trip really.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Nalz wrote: »

Yep! He was doing his best Ric Flair impression Will has said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

astradave wrote: »

What's he doing with Louis' notepad???

Jose enjoys his notes :)

Possibly even more analytical and role specific then his former mentor!

Will be some climb down from the club to go back to him after publicly writing him off as Man United manager material only a couple of years ago.

Nalz wrote: »

Season 1 episode 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the last thread saw 3 wins, 3 draws and 3 defeats in the 9 league games played in the thread lifetime - 12 points from 27:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,628 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Jose is not going to change. He didn't have much in the way of top level jobs left after Chelsea at the start of the season but he still thought it was a good idea to publicly pick a childish fight with his medical staff. And to give rambling, cringe inducing interviews in the aftermath of defeats.

Either people want Jose, warts and all, for 2 seasons before a third where he leaves the club in meltdown and maybe with a messy courtcase to fight, or they don't. The man seems to have a pathological resistance to any sort of authority or conflicting view so trying to put "good behaviour" or "United Way" rules on him would only make things worse.

I don't buy into all of this he wins a title and then it all goes to **** in year three. I know it has happened before but doesn't mean it is definitely going to happen again. It may but it would be unlikely IMO. More likely that he just isn't successful and we move onto the next manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Considering how fcucked up Chelsea and Madrid are I think it's unfair to assume anyone can survive more than 3 seasons there without politics (both player power and boardroom level) effecting them. I have always thought it just unlucky everyone has this perception of Jose because the 3 times he did leave clubs under a cloud were those two messed up clubs. Porto and inter he left a hero under his own terms, he left beside the clubs were not big enough for his ambition. That won't happen at United because simply put there are only two clubs as big, one of them is Madrid and the other would never hire him.

I don't buy into all of this he wins a title and then it all goes to **** in year three. I know it has happened before but doesn't mean it is definitely going to happen again. It may but it would be unlikely IMO. More likely that he just isn't successful and we move onto the next manager.

Because he's left in year 3 in his last 5 jobs it would be unlikely???

That makes no sense.

He can't reinvent teams. He can go in, motivate the hell out if everyone, create the ultimate siege mentality and win stuff. But it runs out of steam.

Don't kid yourself that it will be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Because he's left in year 3 in his last 5 jobs it would be unlikely???

That makes no sense.

He can't reinvent teams. He can go in, motivate the hell out if everyone, create the ultimate siege mentality and win stuff. But it runs out of steam.

Don't kid yourself that it will be different.

How do you know that he can't reinvent teams? He has never failed to rebuild a squad because he either moved on to a bigger job or wasn't given time.

Porto: left to join chelsea who wouldn't??

Chelsea: sacked harshly after winning alot of trophies but fell out with owner.

Inter: left to join madrid who wouldn't?

Madrid: sacked due to mainly player unrest need I say more..

Chelsea: sacked due to a very underperforming team probably due to his handling of the physio incident but again I agree with previous poster I think the chelsea dressing room is toxic has been for long time.

To say he can't rebuild a team is a bit wrong because really he has only been sacked once due to very poor results and there is alot more to that.

I wouldnt call jose the perfect Man for United but no point in making up stuff to try prove a point.

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    How do you know that he can't reinvent teams? He has never failed to rebuild a squad because he either moved on to a bigger job or wasn't given time.

Porto: left to join chelsea who wouldn't??

Chelsea: sacked harshly after winning alot of trophies but fell out with owner.

Inter: left to join madrid who wouldn't?

Madrid: sacked due to mainly player unrest need I say more..

Chelsea: sacked due to a very underperforming team probably due to his handling of the physio incident but again I agree with previous poster I think the chelsea dressing room is toxic has been for long time.

To say he can't rebuild a team is a bit wrong because really he has only been sacked once due to very poor results and there is alot more to that.

I wouldnt call jose the perfect Man for United but no point in making up stuff to try prove a point.

Sorry, he has never shown himself capable of reinventing his own teams, because he's either failed at it, or moved on, or fallen out with everyone before he could.

I'm not making stuff up. Anyone will tell you it's unlikely that he'd be Man U after 4/5 years.

That's not a fiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Sorry, he has never shown himself capable of reinventing his own teams, because he's either failed at it, or moved on, or fallen out with everyone before he could.

I'm not making stuff up. Anyone will tell you it's unlikely that he'd be Man U after 4/5 years.

That's not a fiction.

Going by his career to date that is very true. That's the main reason Sir Bobby and Fergie were against Mourinho being appointed as United manager.

Any manager that comes in will also have to constantly deal with ex-players who will continue to pine for Giggs and undermine the manager. It happened to Moyes and Van Gaal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Yeah, Jose has never shown any real ability to rebuild a successful team, it was one of the reasons why he was overlooked as he was seen as a short term appointment. Yes he may well bring success but Utd would be looking for another manager in 3 years.

Thankfully, they didn't go with him so we could waste 3 years, no trophies, continue to fall away, have no squad depth and have results like we have endured the last 3 years.

Much prefer that than having the whole ignoble ediface of Jose landing us the EPL or CL trophies

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Yeah, Jose has never shown any real ability to rebuild a successful team, it was one of the reasons why he was overlooked as he was seen as a short term appointment. Yes he may well bring success but Utd would be looking for another manager in 3 years.

Thankfully, they didn't go with him so we could waste 3 years, no trophies, continue to fall away, have no squad depth and have results like we have endured the last 3 years.

Much prefer that than having the whole ignoble ediface of Jose landing us the EPL or CL trophies

In terms of appointments it's a no-brainer.

He'll leave in 3 years but Utd will be in a much better place. Old Trafford will be a fortress again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

That's not a fiction.

I agree partially but to say he has never shown or capable or reinventing his own team is wrong. Chelsea team had his blueprint and that team played nearly for a decade with the same core team. Reinventing teams also depends on how badly it is needed.

For example he signed players like Robben, Drogba, Carvalho, Ferreira, Essien, Del Horno, Ballack, Cole who all played for years and played important part in winning titles.

For Inter he signed players like Eto'o, Milito, Sneijder, Lucio, Motta who played significant part in winning treble. Players like Sneijder and Milito were just amazing that season.

At Madrid he didn't need to make significant changes as they already spent so much and assembled quality squad. He then signed Ozil, Khedira, Di Maria, Varane, Modric.

At Chelsea, he signed Schurrle, Willian, Matic, Zouma, Fabregas, Costa, Remy and all these played played their part in winning the title. Most importantly Fabregas and Costa.

No need to reinvent when there is no need. For example, at Chelesa when he started he just can't sell Cech, Terry, Lampard, Duff just to reinvent team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

Are you all nor jumping to conclusions to quickly saying he has the gig. You can't honestly take some oul biddy saying he is going to be our next manager at face value.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I agree partially but to say he has never shown or capable or reinventing his own team is wrong. Chelsea team had his blueprint and that team played nearly for a decade with the same core team. Reinventing teams also depends on how badly it is needed.

For example he signed players like Robben, Drogba, Carvalho, Ferreira, Essien, Del Horno, Ballack, Cole who all played for years and played important part in winning titles.

For Inter he signed players like Eto'o, Milito, Sneijder, Lucio, Motta who played significant part in winning treble. Players like Sneijder and Milito were just amazing that season.

At Madrid he didn't need to make significant changes as they already spent so much and assembled quality squad. He then signed Ozil, Khedira, Di Maria, Varane, Modric.

At Chelsea, he signed Schurrle, Willian, Matic, Zouma, Fabregas, Costa, Remy and all these played played their part in winning the title. Most importantly Fabregas and Costa.

No need to reinvent when there is no need. For example, at Chelesa when he started he just can't sell Cech, Terry, Lampard, Duff just to reinvent team.

No you're correct. It's probably a bad choice of phrasing on my part.

What I meant to say was that it appears that after three years when a Jose team needs some change or a shot in the arm, he can't quote manage it.

But that's what made Fergie so special.

Edit: just to be clear, I'm saying he would leave you in three years or so with a better squad, a trophy and a great home record.

If I was Man U chairman, I'd approach Poch and Simeone. If they say no, go with Jose and then go straight back to them saying 'we want you next'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

No you're correct. It's probably a bad choice of phrasing on my part.

What I meant to say was that it appears that after three years when a Jose team needs some change or a shot in the arm, he can't quote manage it.

But that's what made Fergie so special.

Edit: just to be clear, I'm saying he would leave you in three years or so with a better squad, a trophy and a great home record.

If I was Man U chairman, I'd approach Poch and Simeone. If they say no, go with Jose and then go straight back to them saying 'we want you next'

I would also like to see them approach the Juve manager Allegri

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

As much as that is what happened with Jose after the 3 year window with Chelsea (twice), and Madrid it's been stated and I agree, that no manager could have survived without issues with those two teams, simply put even Fergie would have walked if he could not control his affairs without interference and that's simply not going to happen at those teams. United' board don't interfere and trust the manager, until he proves not up to it. The players became an issue for moyes, however all the powerful ones are gone except Rooney. It's set up nicley for him if he wants the job tbh

• In at 50!

I'm surprised at this stage that the club still hasn't said anything considering what's on SSN this morning.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement