Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

bangkok wrote: »
    welbeck has come on and just proved in 15 mins against the best side in the world just how good he is. great performance from him

He's poetry in motion, love watching him play

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Pity he couldn't prove to the man that matters he was good enough to start.

he is just back from being out for 10 months injured in fairness to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

he is just back from being out for 10 months injured in fairness to him

But yet no hatrick. Very disappointing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

we should have never let go of welbeck :P:P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

we should have never let go of welbeck :P:P:P

#Wel-back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

BBC running with the story (from Sam L of M.E.N) that Jose isn't wanted by Sir Bobby and Fergie and Giggs is the man they want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Just know that Welbeck is gonna score the winner against us Sunday now. Wouldn't be surprised to see him start, he looked sharp when he came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

BBC running with the story (from Sam L of M.E.N) that Jose isn't wanted by Sir Bobby and Fergie and Giggs is the man they want.

Luckhurst was on BBC 5Live and spouting that nonsense. The only thing I seen on about that was in the gossip section on the BBC Website

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/gossip
    Listen: 'Charlton & Ferguson don't want Mourinho at Man Utd' - A Manchester Evening News journalist tells BBC Radio 5 live that club legends Sir Bobby Charlton and Sir Alex Ferguson do not want former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho to succeed Louis van Gaal as Old Trafford boss.

Edit: Luckhurst basically took the Redissue Story and ran with it on 5Live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

One good cameo and people are creaming themselves all over Welbeck ? He hasn't exactly set the world alight since he moved to Arsenal has he ? I was one who wasn't sorry to see him moved on all be it nothing against the chap the sight him falling over 8 yards from goal on a week to week basis with no defender near him when clean though wasn't really endearing him to me and his development had somewhat stalled overall I felt. Then again I may had felt differently if I had the foresight to see what an absolute balls up LVG would make of our squad regeneration despite the millions he spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Strumms wrote: »
    One good cameo and people are creaming themselves all over Welbeck ? He hasn't exactly set the world alight since he moved to Arsenal has he ? I was one who wasn't sorry to see him moved on all be it nothing against the chap the sight him falling over 8 yards from goal on a week to week basis with no defender near him when clean though wasn't really endearing him to me and his development had somewhat stalled overall I felt. Then again I may had felt differently if I had the foresight to see what an absolute balls up LVG would make of our squad regeneration despite the millions he spent.

Bangkok and another poster of dubious intention believe he went from being the decent squad player he was with us to being a top, top striker since he joined Arsenal.

Smile and nod territory tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Hahahaha

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Bangkok and another poster of dubious intention believe he went from being the decent squad player he was with us to being a top, top striker since he joined Arsenal.

Smile and nod territory tbh.

No I don't believe that and I have never said that either but go ahead make up some bull**** and write it down and I'd say you are one of the same people that goes mad when the press make up stories as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

No I don't believe that and I have never said that either but go ahead make up some bull**** and write it down and I'd say you are one of the same people that goes mad when the press make up stories as well

Jesus man, cool the ol jets.

The post was written a bit tongue in cheek, I did not mean any offence.

There's a lot of Sandy Vaginas in here lately, this football lark really is serious business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Could see a lot of humble pie being dished out when Welbeck scores the winner on Sunday.

beno619 wrote: »
    Could see a lot of humble pie being dished out when Welbeck scores the winner on Sunday.

The same could be said for when he misses a sitter from 5 yards out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

paulbok wrote: »
    #Wel-back?

Well rid more like!! Thankfully I didn't watch Arsenal Barca so I didn't see super Welbz make his big mark on the game (didn't get a start, 0 goals, 0 assists well done Danny!)

Please not another Welbeck discussion, it's like groundhog day. Can't we go back to Anderson, someone mentioned him above :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Scoring one goal now would hardly be cause for changing ones opinion that was influenced and informed by him beung completly gash in front of goal for us for over a year yet alone eating humble pie... please retreat to a quiet corner have a word with yourself.

He was a likable player but like Jonny Evans annoyed the **** out of me and i had the impression like Evans he wasnt making the most of his potential and more importantly had totally stagnated and wasnt doing the job he was there to do on the pitch..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Jose will be next manager it's just matter of when imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Really excited about next season if Mourinho is manager, back him with the players he wants and I think he'll conquer City

Van Gaal talked the talk a United manager should but never backed it up, Jose can back it up, if it ends in 3 years so be it. Van Gaal was supposed to be a "safe" 3 year option and look how that has turned out, long term in football these days is 3 or 4 years. If you find a manager who can last 5 or 6 or more seasons at a top club he is going to be a one in a million special manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Strumms wrote: »
    Scoring one goal now would hardly be cause for changing ones opinion that was influenced and informed by him beung completly gash in front of goal for us for over a year yet alone eating humble pie... please retreat to a quiet corner have a word with yourself.

He was a likable player but like Jonny Evans annoyed the **** out of me and i had the impression like Evans he wasnt making the most of his potential and more importantly had totally stagnated and wasnt doing the job he was there to do on the pitch..

That's your opinion, some people have held him in high regard for a long time.

It's fairly annoying to hear how people claiming hindsight etc when that's not the case at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

That's your opinion, some people have held him in high regard for a long time.

It's fairly annoying to hear how people claiming hindsight etc when that's not the case at all.

I really liked Welbeck, and I was shocked that LVG didn't keep him - a quick, hard working, technically astute player capable of playing in multiple positions - surely that is almost the identikit LVG footballer!

However, it is also a fact that in front of goal he is inconsistent at best. He has teh base talent, and potential to be a very good player, but finishing is a weak point of his game. Scoring at the weekend, while it would be annoying, would not disprove that or mean people should be eating humble pie over him. He would need to be consistently scoring and making himself a first choice fixture in a top side before any humble pie would be required

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

The Sun running a story of a new director for United....i had seen rumours of this a few weeks back on redissue....wonder how this will affect Woodward!?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/6952063/Manchester-United-Ed-hunt-new-director-to-help-Woodward.html?CMP=spklr-_-Editorial-_-TWITTER-_-TheSunFootball-_-20160223-_-Football-_-376370430-_-Imageandlink

Delboy5 wrote: »
    The Sun running a story of a new director for United....i had seen rumours of this a few weeks back on redissue....wonder how this will affect Woodward!?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/6952063/Manchester-United-Ed-hunt-new-director-to-help-Woodward.html?CMP=spklr-_-Editorial-_-TWITTER-_-TheSunFootball-_-20160223-_-Football-_-376370430-_-Imageandlink
    Another commercial brand seller based on that... leaving woodward to concentrate on football deal?:eek::o

Another commercial brand seller based on that... leaving woodward to concentrate on football deal?:eek::o

Others are going with a proper Sporting Director. Which is what was being reported initially. Think the Sun just like to be different

https://twitter.com/kpsundayworld/status/702288775305682944

Palmer is saying the same as the Sun.. says Cowgill is a life long United Fan and has many contacts in Football..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Delboy5 wrote: »

Seems a bizarre one but one to placate Charlton and Ferguson, so maybe Jose deal is close being done.

For all the "he's a united fan" lark, he's hardly a football man. Just because he turned around JD sports doesn't mean he's the man to run the football side of the club.

Another safe commercial guy to counteract those pesky football guys on the board is how I read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

astradave wrote: »
    Others are going with a proper Sporting Director. Which is what was being reported initially. Think the Sun just like to be different

https://twitter.com/kpsundayworld/status/702288775305682944

Palmer is saying the same as the Sun.. says Cowgill is a life long United Fan and has many contacts in Football..

Arnold is already there and doing an excellent job - they should be bringing in a CEO for football matters, not moving Woodward into it when its clear he is not capable of doing it based off his first 3 years.

I seen somewhere this morning a line up if Mourinho became manager..

De Gea

Varane
    Smalling
    Laporte
    Shaw

Schweigstiger

Pogba
    Herrera

Martial
    Ibrahimovic
    Reus

that's 5 new signings, cant see Pogba coming back to us but I think he would make us title favourites if he were to sign.

Also I would rather Darmain RB and put Varane centre back and not sign Laporte, which would mean 4 signings. "Could" see that happening

Coat22 wrote: »
    Seems a bizarre one but one to placate Charlton and Ferguson, so maybe Jose deal is close being done.

For all the "he's a united fan" lark, he's hardly a football man. Just because he turned around JD sports doesn't mean he's the man to run the football side of the club.

Another safe commercial guy to counteract those pesky football guys on the board is how I read it.
    Yet people think investment banker Woodward is the man to run the football side of the club. If this guy isn't qualified to do so then there should be no assumption that Woodward is either.

• Advertisement

Mourinho had a question and answer session in Singapore and he came out with this. Seems to tie in with the coming in the summer rumours.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/mobile/singapore/jose-mourinho-touches/2544402.html
    I always feel that it's better to wait, not to rush, better to be calm, to wait for the right moment, the right move. I feel that starting the next season with a new club and project is probably the best thing for me

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Yet people think investment banker Woodward is the man to run the football side of the club. If this guy isn't qualified to do so then there should be no assumption that Woodward is either.

David Gill was an accountant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

astradave wrote: »
    Mourinho had a question and answer session in Singapore and he came out with this. Seems to tie in with the coming in the summer rumours.

As a fan, it sucks having to write off the season. But if thats the cost of getting Jose in, so be it. Will be a very, very fun summer if he comes in...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Lord TSC wrote: »
    As a fan, it sucks having to write off the season. But if thats the cost of getting Jose in, so be it. Will be a very, very fun summer if he comes in...

Could be some crazy bidding wars with City and Chelsea. Fully expect the world record transfer fee to go.

RobertKK wrote: »

and there shouldn't be an assumption that he would be qualified for the role either. Also, Gill worked his way to that position at the Club more organically.

Main point is if people say this guy being able to turn around JD Sports is no proof he could run the football side of United than the same should be held true of Woodward (and Gill) until they prove otherwise.

I would also think there are a lot of rose tinted specticles with regards to Gill - he missed out on transfer targets, lost out on deals, turned tail on the Glazer take-over and, by his own words, could never have overseen the commercial rise United has had over the last number of years - his own opinion was that the United brand was as highly leveraged as it could be. The Glazers and Woodward have proven the PLC hadn't even scratched the surface; though that is a commerical aspect and not a football one.

Gill (and Fergie) were also more instrumental in appointing Moyes than Woodward was - so of the ONE managerial appointment Gill needed to make, he completely screwed up, and any criticisms of the United youth system will have started under his watch - obviously Fergie will have been a bigger influence in that area than Moyes or LVG have been - but if Woodward cops blame for the state of the structures at United (because in his 3rd year he has failed to adequately address them yet) then so most Gill as the rot started under him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

RobertKK wrote: »

The best thing David Gill ever did for his own reputation was to leave Manchester United at the right time.

Personally I don't care if the CEO is a former accountant or investment banker, in fact those professions can even be a huge benefit to the role. The only thing that matters is how they perform in the job.

Unfortunately Ed Woodward seems to be one of the only CEO's of a worldwide franchise who isn't held accountable for whats happening on his watch.

• Advertisement

• Cock-teasing all you Jose fans again this morning.
    Jose hows to play the media I'l give him that much. Sounds to me like he's waiting for the summer / right move ;)

Anyone know much about Rafa Silva? He's been linked with us in the Summer

I would be fine with this if we aren't repeating the same mistakes we made with Moyes.

If Mourinho knows he has the job, then hopefully he is doing squad analysis and transfer analysis in the background, and working with Woodward in identifying the players to target for next season - and not pissing about til July doing nothing useful as it appears was the case with Moyes.

My worry is that United haven't decided on the next manager and any transfer work they are doing is basically blind with regards what the new man will want or they will wait til July as they did with Moyes, meaning we are horribly positioned for the summer and next season.

It is the reason I want a new manager now, to be honest. Not so much to save this season (which is beyond it imo) but to make sure we are as well positioned for next season as we can be.

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Anyone know much about Rafa Silva? He's been linked with us in the Summer

Decent right back, bit of a head case at times though. I like him. :pac:

• Decent right back, bit of a head case at times though. I like him. :pac:
    lol not him but well played :pac:

The guy that players for S.C. Braga

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It is the reason I want a new manager now, to be honest. Not so much to save this season (which is beyond it imo) but to make sure we are as well positioned for next season as we can be.

Would agree overall.

Obviously this is all speculation, but my beliefs are as follows, as things stand.

LVG is a dead-man walking; I wouldn't be shocked if those "Win the next two games or you're gone" games were the breaking point, and we started looking for the new manager at that time.

I think if Giggs was going to get it, he'd already be manager; given he's already there and in place, a transition to Giggs would be utterly seemless. There's been reports that Giggs has refused the interm role, but I feel if he was going to be given the job fulltime, then that probably would have happened over the January window. Would imagine he won't want to be Jose's #2, nor will Jose want him as a #2, so chances are Giggs will be off too, once LVG goes.

At this stage, I'm hoping the Jose thing is pretty much done, but Jose has said he doesn't want in this season (fans would expect possibly too much of him at this stage) so he waits till the summer, and spends the next few weeks analyzing and scouting, as well as setting up his backroom.

Since Giggs doesn't want it unless its fulltime, and Jose doesn't want it till the summer, the choice was either LVG till the summer or appoint someone else for a few month, be it Warren Joyce, Harry Redknapp (:P) or someone else. They decided that no available short-term replacement would offer much guarantees about anything. Also, a short term hiring would probably lead to the firings of both LVG and Giggs (if Giggs didn't want the role short term, there'd be little other choice...). So rather than a convoluted mess both now AND in the summer, write the season off in preperation for the summer.

So as it stands, let LVG "retire" in the summer gracefully; announce it in a few weeks (if/once EL and FA Cup are gone) that he'll be leaving and that Jose will assume the role in June. Give Giggs till the summer to sort another job out so he can bow out gracefully too; a statement about "proving himself", etc. Jose comes in. Fingers crossed he's already given his list to Woodward (and, if rumours are true, any new Director appointed) and we make moves for players quickly, both in and out. And we start fresh with Jose and new players in August. With no CL to worry about, Jose will have an easier run at the PL title too; he, much as LVG did last season, will have the easiest first season imaginable since expectations will be lower, and there'll be less games to play.

Of course, all that could be wishful thinking, a blissful ignorance. Most of its based on reports of various degrees of credibility. So knowing my luck, we'll wait till 4th is mathematically impossible, fire LVG and appoint Giggs :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Would agree overall.

Obviously this is all speculation, but my beliefs are as follows, as things stand.

LVG is a dead-man walking; I wouldn't be shocked if those "Win the next two games or you're gone" games were the breaking point, and we started looking for the new manager at that time.

I think if Giggs was going to get it, he'd already be manager; given he's already there and in place, a transition to Giggs would be utterly seemless. There's been reports that Giggs has refused the interm role, but I feel if he was going to be given the job fulltime, then that probably would have happened over the January window. Would imagine he won't want to be Jose's #2, nor will Jose want him as a #2, so chances are Giggs will be off too, once LVG goes.

At this stage, I'm hoping the Jose thing is pretty much done, but Jose has said he doesn't want in this season (fans would expect possibly too much of him at this stage) so he waits till the summer, and spends the next few weeks analyzing and scouting, as well as setting up his backroom.

Since Giggs doesn't want it unless its fulltime, and Jose doesn't want it till the summer, the choice was either LVG till the summer or appoint someone else for a few month, be it Warren Joyce, Harry Redknapp (:P) or someone else. They decided that no available short-term replacement would offer much guarantees about anything. Also, a short term hiring would probably lead to the firings of both LVG and Giggs (if Giggs didn't want the role short term, there'd be little other choice...). So rather than a convoluted mess both now AND in the summer, write the season off in preperation for the summer.

So as it stands, let LVG "retire" in the summer gracefully; announce it in a few weeks (if/once EL and FA Cup are gone) that he'll be leaving and that Jose will assume the role in June. Give Giggs till the summer to sort another job out so he can bow out gracefully too; a statement about "proving himself", etc. Jose comes in. Fingers crossed he's already given his list to Woodward (and, if rumours are true, any new Director appointed) and we make moves for players quickly, both in and out. And we start fresh with Jose and new players in August. With no CL to worry about, Jose will have an easier run at the PL title too; he, much as LVG did last season, will have the easiest first season imaginable since expectations will be lower, and there'll be less games to play.

Of course, all that could be wishful thinking, a blissful ignorance. Most of its based on reports of various degrees of credibility. So knowing my luck, we'll wait till 4th is mathematically impossible, fire LVG and appoint Giggs :/

This is exactly what I hope is happening. It is the only explanation that makes any sense and ties in with how the club is behaving now.

The thoughts of a Utd with Mourinho at the helm going head to head against City with Pep at the helm is a mouthwatering prospect. Also the fact that the club have been completely silent amid all this intense Mourinho speculation is very telling. I'm desperately hoping it is anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Would agree overall.

There is an interim manager free at the minute, don't think he lives too far from Manchester neither.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I seen somewhere this morning a line up if Mourinho became manager..

De Gea

Varane
    Smalling
    Laporte
    Shaw

Schweigstiger

Pogba
    Herrera

Martial
    Ibrahimovic
    Reus

that's 5 new signings, cant see Pogba coming back to us but I think he would make us title favourites if he were to sign.

Also I would rather Darmain RB and put Varane centre back and not sign Laporte, which would mean 4 signings. "Could" see that happening

Fair play Bangkok, that's well reasoned logic.
    I don't think we'll sign Ibra, can you imagine his ego along side Jose's..
    Varane or Stones are more probable signings at CB and maybe both because I still think Smalling is a liability. I think Smalling needs someone like hummels beside him . His performances have dropped way off in the last couple of months
    Pogba might come back, hasn't he said he did love the club (but could anyone believe that) but I think he's more likely to go to Spain or PSG
    Reus an interesting call - I see you don't think he's a CM anymore too....
    Throw Aubameyang in for forward role maybe!!!

brinty wrote: »
    Fair play Bangkok, that's well reasoned logic.
    I don't think we'll sign Ibra, can you imagine his ego along side Jose's..
    Varane or Stones are more probable signings at CB and maybe both because I still think Smalling is a liability. I think Smalling needs someone like hummels beside him . His performances have dropped way off in the last couple of months
    Pogba might come back, hasn't he said he did love the club (but could anyone believe that) but I think he's more likely to go to Spain or PSG
    Reus an interesting call - I see you don't think he's a CM anymore too....
    Throw Aubameyang in for forward role maybe!!!

They were together at Inter.. they have stayed as friends. Which is what leads me to believe he will come for a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

The Beeb have a Mourinho article up with him seemingly saying something slightly different
    Jose Mourinho says he does not know about becoming the next Manchester United manager, but is hoping to be back in football this summer.

Earlier this month, BBC Sport reported that United had held talks with representatives of the Portuguese.

Mourinho, 53, was sacked by Chelsea in December, seven months after winning the Premier League title.

Asked if he will replace Louis van Gaal at Old Trafford, Mourinho said: "That's the one million dollar question."

Speaking at a school in Singapore, he added: "Nobody knows and I am the first one not to know. I read so many different things."

"I look to the future with more enthusiasm. Now I enjoy my quiet life in this period when I'm not working in football and I hope in the summer I will be back."

"If I have to return tomorrow, I return tomorrow. I always feel it is better to wait and not to rush. Starting next season with a new club and project is probably the best for me."

United are fifth in the Premier League, six points off fourth-placed Manchester City, and went out of the Champions League at the group stages.

"If I have to return tomorrow, I return tomorrow" - interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Anyone think Chelsea threw something into the deal when sacking Mourinho that he didn't get all his money if he took over someone before a certain time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Anyone think Chelsea threw something into the deal when sacking Mourinho that he didn't get all his money if he took over someone before a certain time?

Maybe, but more importantly, Lucas when you back on TV?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Valencia & Rojo back in training today, Rashford also training with first team.

De Gea & Smalling absent though apparently.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

It looks pretty clear that Mourinho will be in charge in the summer but if things go completely south, he will come in sooner.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    It looks pretty clear that Mourinho will be in charge in the summer but if things go completely south, he will come in sooner.

I don't think he will, it would have been done otherwise. He will want a fresh start during a transfer window where he can set out to make whatever changes are needed immediately. van Gaal will leave by "mutual consent" during the summer

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement