Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

We need to replace our midfield. Basti, Carrick are too old and need to be replaced. We do need a proper no.10 but it's a low priority given Martial can play striker.

We have no RW.
    Our LW is in bad need of sorting out, Memphis will not make it and Young is average and ageing but yet signed to a 3 year deal.
    Our backup RB is an ageing winger. Varela is not good enough.
    We need a new CB, if not two. Jones has been injured all his life and Blind is not good enough - we've known we've needed a proper CB for two seasons.

So our squad isn't left in good shape.

DDG

----Darmian--Smalling---NEW CB--Shaw----

NEW RW---Schneiderlin---NEW CM-NEW LW

Rooney

Martial

We need 4 new top quality players this summer.

I do agree we need a good few players (wingers and centre-back especially), but you are overlooking that we already have a proper number 10, Mata. He is an excellent number 10 and he should be used. Also, as you point out, Martial can play centrally and Rooney can play deeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I agree.

Which is why I have long argued for two appointments.

Mourinho, and a Sporting Director - two people working in tandem on the football side to try arrest the current slide quickly, while also looking at positioning the club well for 5/10 years down the line.

And yes, i do think Jose would look to create his own dynasty at United, which requires forward planning.

I think that is the ideal situation.Let Jose have say on who is signed for senior squad but SD to make sure the academy/reserves are getting top young talent that can progress to senior squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

yabadabado wrote: »
    I think that is the ideal situation.Let Jose have say on who is signed for senior squad but SD to make sure the academy/reserves are getting top young talent that can progress to senior squad.

Just on this, is there any reason why we don't have this already? There seems to be no downside...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

What is Woodward doing wrong that people think we need a sporting director or what do people think the sporting director can do that Woodward cant??

I can't see it happening if jose comes in i think he is going to have same control as fergie had over first team and for continuity I think we're going to have someone in charge of the youth setup im not sure if that person is nicky butt or someone comes in that sits above him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

jayo26 wrote: »
    What is Woodward doing wrong that people think we need a sporting director or what do people think the sporting director can do that Woodward cant??

I can't see it happening if jose comes in i think he is going to have same control as fergie had over first team and for continuity I think we're going to have someone in charge of the youth setup im not sure if that person is nicky butt or someone comes in that sits above him.

I guess the perception is Woodward is operating under an older model with all the added work of modern football clubs.

And while not accurate to state he is being overwhelmed, a separation of duties between squad and player acquisition and management from commercial looks to be more efficient.

That structure also provides more insulation to the earthquakes of a managerial change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,384 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

yeah - no way Jose would work under a sporting director like he did at Porto, Chelsea, Real Madrid and Inter Milan. No way at all.

As for woodward, not getting in to it yet again. Suffice to say I think having someone who CONCENTRATES on football matters would be helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Jayo, Jose worked with Emeneloa and Frank arnesen at Chelsea who went out improved the Chelsea academy and caliber of players there. They won several FA youth cups but never brought players through as the Roman empire wanted instant success rather than success with home grown players. The DoF is there to help bridge the gap between your CEO and the first team manager/ coach etc..
    Woodward can't do that as he doesn't have sufficient football know how. He's a great business guy, getting him out of the footballing side of things and letting him concentrate on his strengths can only improve us off the field.
    They days of managers being all seeing and all dancing is over. Fergie was the last of that type of manager around. Mourinho will work together with this Berta guy and improve the structures and recruitment for the team not just at senior level but underneath that. Berta will work on the deals and identifying players and helping Jose concentrate on building a winning team.

brinty wrote: »
    Jayo, Jose worked with Emeneloa and Frank arnesen at Chelsea who went out improved the Chelsea academy and caliber of players there. They won several FA youth cups but never brought players through as the Roman empire wanted instant success rather than success with home grown players. The DoF is there to help bridge the gap between your CEO and the first team manager/ coach etc..
    Woodward can't do that as he doesn't have sufficient football know how. He's a great business guy, getting him out of the footballing side of things and letting him concentrate on his strengths can only improve us off the field.
    They days of managers being all seeing and all dancing is over. Fergie was the last of that type of manager around. Mourinho will work together with this Berta guy and improve the structures and recruitment for the team not just at senior level but underneath that. Berta will work on the deals and identifying players and helping Jose concentrate on building a winning team.

I didn't actually mean he wouldn't do it i just dont see how it would work at United. So basically we are bringing in someone to handle player negotiations??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I didn't actually mean he wouldn't do it i just dont see how it would work at United. So basically we are bringing in someone to handle player negotiations??

More or less that's it in a nut shell

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Anyone got a list of the games on TV coming up? Reckon its coming time to cancel Setanta/BT Sports again and want to try and time it properly :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Anyone got a list of the games on TV coming up? Reckon its coming time to cancel Setanta/BT Sports again and want to try and time it properly :)

This site is class for UK listings but it doesn't show the 3pm KO on Setanta (not that they ever have a decent game anyway).

http://www.live-footballontv.com/live-english-football-on-tv.html

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrBobbyZ

Appointing a director of football, with real power and influence, is the most important thing Utd could do this summer in my opinion. Someone who can shape the playing style from academy to the senior team. Someone who takes the lead in player and coach acquisition with a long term strategy. That way managers/head coaches can come and go without disrupting the entire set up.
    Consider Utd's current mess. We have gone from Fergie, Moyes, LVG to now possibly Mourinho. How many of our current team would Jose have purchased? Very few IMO, so we will need a major overhaul of players to suit his style of play. In a couple of years time we will be in the same boat unless we have someone in a position of power at the club who can identify a coach who suits OUR style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Jayop wrote: »
    Sorry, but for me the team that wins the FA cup is much more deserving than the 4th best team in the league.

I always thought it would be a good idea for the FA Cup winners and 4th placed team in the league to play a one off game, and the winner gets the final CL spot, with the loser going into the EL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    I always thought it would be a good idea for the FA Cup winners and 4th placed team in the league to play a one off game, and the winner gets the final CL spot, with the loser going into the EL.

What if we win the cup and get 4th place? :D

Suppose we could play the reserves!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Jayop wrote: »
    What if we win the cup and get 4th place? :D

Suppose we could play the reserves!

Don't be outrageous, we play in both competitions!! Surely our squad could handle it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

france have a serious squad, fancy them to win the euros

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

bangkok wrote: »
    france have a serious squad, fancy them to win the euros

Was just looking at it there,certainly not short on attacking options anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Hate international breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Memphis with 2 Assists after coming on at half time to get Holland back into it, both from set pieces, Martial with an assist for the winner in the same game..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Was just looking at it there,certainly not short on attacking options anyway
    Giroud is ****e though, he'd never do it when it matters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

So who would be our realistic summer transfer targets this summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,872 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Giroud is ****e though, he'd never do it when it matters

23 man squad, not all about Giroud is it ? Don't rate him all that highly but to call him ****e is somewhat wide of the mark in fairness. Remember also France are playing in their own back yard. Remember World Cup 1998 do you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭secman

How did SAF ever cope without a Director of Football ? Our next saviour ! Let's complicate boiling an egg !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

secman wrote: »
    How did SAF ever cope without a Director of Football ? Our next saviour ! Let's complicate boiling an egg !

He stopped coaching the team for one.

He was there from 1986 to 2013. He could delegate work (like the academy) to people he believed in, work well with people that shared the same vision as him. As he was there so long it provided stability.

No new first team manager will be around for long never mind that long. People qualified to make football decisions are needed throughout the club to oversee functioning departments from player scouting to opposition analysis, provide continuity in times of change.

The first team managers job needs to be the first team, they need to be provided with resources that allow them to do the best job from the start. They may require extra appointments to existing teams (a scout, a link between first team and academy etc) but the core work of those departments need to be overseen by someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrBobbyZ

There are not many SAFs out there, if any. Most managers/first team coaches would probably expect a Director of Football to perform some of the functions a traditional Manager would have done in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Smegball wrote: »
    So who would be our realistic summer transfer targets this summer?

Jose.

If he isn't our main priority and our first signing we are banjoed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I'd like a chief exec with the skills of David Gill working with a manager like SAF, unfortunately that's not going to happen because whatever about installing a capable manager the chief exec position won't be changed, until the Glazers are gone, and the incumbent there sells advertising and isn't good for much else.

A director of football isn't the ideal solution for me, it is adding another cook to the kitchen but someone has to stop Woodward blowing up eggs in the microwave. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You are rather missing the point that we did have a director of football for nearly 30 years, and his name was Alex Ferguson.

It could be said that the DOF is there to ensure continuity and dictate philosophy and culture within the club, so if you have a manager in charge for 30 years that role is already being performed, there is an inbuilt continuity there.

What the club and the fans need to accept and understand is that there won't be any more 30 year managers, they are by far the exception rather than the rule. And if we don't have a 30 year manager then we need to have somebody whose role it is to be concerned with continuity and guide the clubs culture without being subject to the short term requirements that current managers face.

By far the most logical way to fill this role is to have a respected director of football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Romelu Lukaku must join Man United or Bayern Munich - father
    Romelu Lukaku must consider leaving Everton for either Manchester United or Bayern Munich at the end of the season, according to his father.

Roger Lukaku told Het Laatste Nieuws‏ that his son, who has scored 25 goals for Roberto Martinez's side this season, is ready to move on.

The 22-year-old Belgium international joined the Toffees in 2014 for £28 million after failing to make the first-team at Chelsea and has become the subject of interest for many of Europe's top clubs with his performances.

"He's ready," Lukaku Sr. told Het Laatste Nieuws‏. "I see that there is interest from Atletico Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Chelsea and Manchester United.

"I think he must choose Manchester United or Bayern Munich. Manchester United is a team under construction with no real focus.

"Bayern Munich is a machine where he can rotate well. The only condition is if Robert Lewandowski leaves."

If you insist...

Man, the balls on his father saying he'll go to Bayern if Lewandowski leaves :pac:

Would love to see Lukaku at United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Man, the balls on his father saying he'll go to Bayern if Lewandowski leaves :pac:

Would love to see Lukaku at United.

I would to but I dont want it to stun Martials development and I want him to be an all out forward and not on the wings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Can't believe he's still only 22.

Two things;

1. Can play 2 strikers up front, possibly.
    2. Imo, Martial has looked his best on the wings, since he gets space to run at people. I would also imagine it could easily be a similiar situation to Barca, where Neymar and Messi play "out wide" with Suarez in the middle. Martial could still be a world class attacking threat "out wide" in a front three. Adding a threat like Lukaku would be massively beneficial to Martial, in that teams couldn't just man mark him out of the game.

Actually, better example; Jose's real used to have Benzema up front with Ronaldo and DiMaria out wide. Didn't stop Ronnie playing at THE top level by being a wide inside forward, and could see Martial having a similar development if Jose came in...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Unearthly wrote: »
    Can't believe he's still only 22.

He's still only a young lad but he's had the frame of a monster since he was 19! I'd say whoever ends up signing him will end up paying double what Everton paid for him.

Quandary wrote: »
    He's still only a young lad but he's had the frame of a monster since he was 19! I'd say whoever ends up signing him will end up paying double what Everton paid for him.

And he would be worth double id love lukaku he would be a better signing then Harry kane in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I cant see Martial as a striker for us, he plays better left wing. Someone like Lukaku to lead the line would be nice.

Top target should be a centre back like Laporte.

Or if the papers are to be believed and Kompany not being wanted by pep, a sneaky little bid there?

A good summer would be keep DDG, sign centre back like Laporte and a striker like Lukaku.

Get Depay playing right wing cause left wing is Martials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Or if the papers are to be believed and Kompany not being wanted by pep, a sneaky little bid there?

**** no. The last thing we need is another aging and injury prone player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I cant see Martial as a striker for us, he plays better left wing. Someone like Lukaku to lead the line would be nice.

A good summer would be keep DDG, sign centre back like Laporte and a striker like Lukaku.

Get Depay playing right wing cause left wing is Martials.

Laporte got two fairly bad injurys on international duty so that be him out for a while!.

Laporte destroyed his leg in an international friendly the other night. Would say his name has been removed from most transfer lists now :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Laporte destroyed his leg in an international friendly the other night. Would say his name has been removed from most transfer lists now :/

Thats an awful shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Quandary wrote: »
    And he would be worth double id love lukaku he would be a better signing then Harry kane in my opinion.

Worth remembering Lukaku is considered as Home Grown player, so his valuation will be lot more than what Everton paid.

After the season he had and considering he is home grown player we would be breaking our record fee to sign him.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Worth remembering Lukaku is considered as Home Grown player, so his valuation will be lot more than what Everton paid.

After the season he had and considering he is home grown player we would be breaking our record fee to sign him.

Is he? What's the rules on hg now? I thought it was two years before 18th birthday?

Edit: i just see that premierleague say he is home grown sign him up so ha.

Is he? What's the rules on hg now? I thought it was two years before 18th birthday?

Edit: i just see that premierleague say he is home grown sign him up so ha.

3 years before 21.

In FM there are 2, one is country trained player (have to spend 3 years in country before 21) and other is club trained player (have to spend 3 years at club before 18).

https://twitter.com/HLNinEngeland/status/713698342656733184

Romelu Lukaku to @HLN_BE: "Leaving Everton in the summer? Maybe, yes. You never know. I become 23 & would like to play in the CL." #EFC

Not us then :pac:

:(

Romelu Lukaku to @HLN_BE: "Leaving Everton in the summer? Maybe, yes. You never know. I become 23 & would like to play in the CL." #EFC

Prob end up with Leicester or Westham then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I haven't seen much of Lukaku. What's the difference between him and Benteke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Korat wrote: »

I still think that Benteke is a good player who has been given a rough ride at Liverpool.

Both of them are more classic number 9s, the kind of player we haven't had in about 10 years.

Korat wrote: »

About 3 year younger and 10 more goals and 6 more assists this season then Benteke. Although it is harsh judging Benteke this year because of where he is and injuries.

Leicester and Spurs can't afford him, City/Arsenal are realistic options but then City have Aguero. Arsenal to pay over 50 Million? Might be.

I don't think he will sign for anyone outside the league as they just can't afford him except PSG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I'd rather Kane all day long. A far more intelligent player who has the same amount of goals and seems more versatile.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement