Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I'd rather Kane all day long. A far more intelligent player who has the same amount of goals and seems more versatile.

And English and playing for spurs and cost more then Gareth bale did. Last summer was the summer to go for kane now that he has done it again and tied to long contract he will cost colossal money to sign him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

jayo26 wrote: »
    And English and playing for spurs and cost more then Gareth bale did. Last summer was the summer to go for kane now that he has done it again and tied to long contract he will cost colossal money to sign him.

That, and as it stands, Spurs are close to winning the league, so will throw a massive contract at him to keep him ahead of CL football next year. We are in a position right now where Spurs might be a more attractive option for him Han us, especially given how he has climbed the ranks there.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    That, and as it stands, Spurs are close to winning the league, so will throw a massive contract at him to keep him ahead of CL football next year. We are in a position right now where Spurs might be a more attractive option for him Han us, especially given how he has climbed the ranks there.

I actually shiver when I read that I hate it that spurs could temporarily be more attractive then united but it is so true..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Korat wrote: »
    I haven't seen much of Lukaku. What's the difference between him and Benteke?

In a nuthsell for Lukaku, his numbers speak volumes.

http://www.football365.com/news/romelu-lukaku-the-ridiculous-statistics

I don't think there is any comparing the two, I believe Lukaku to be the superior talent by miles. Made clear in the summer I was glad we didnt get onto this Benteke bandwagon as it would be a poor investment, Lukaku is the Belgian striker we should be after.

It's very evident where he is going with his career, as in, he will be a world class striker sooner rather then later. And he is scoring these goals in significantly poorer teams then his peers.

It's an absolute no brainer for me that he should be a top priority target in the summer, as we look to replace(yes, replace) Rooney. Mourinho might have other ideas, but even he cannot ignore the development he is going through.

As much as someone pointed out, it might stunt Martials growth, I guess that is kind of tough. It wouldn't hurt for him to have a handier season next time round. Extensive playing of young players always results in disaster so there would be no problem him having less involvement, plus he has obvious benefits playing out wide.

Lukaku would be top of my summer transfer list, and that is before he starts his own little shenanigans about wanting to move.

I actually shiver when I read that I hate it that spurs could temporarily be more attractive then united but it is so true..

I'll stress "for him" in that thought; Spurs might be a more attractive for Kane because of his links to the club. Outside of Kane, I'd still be confident we'd be the more attractive club overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I'd rather Kane all day long. A far more intelligent player who has the same amount of goals and seems more versatile.

There isn't much between them, one is available and another is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Regarding Kane and Lukaku, I think that Lukaku has the higher ceiling of the two. If he reaches his full potential he could be a truly world class player in a way I don't think Kane can match.

That doesn't mean it will happen, maybe Kane will have a far better career, time will tell. But if we wanted to aim as high as we possibly could then I would choose Lukaku.

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

Memphis fanboys infuriate me. Where do people get the notion he's an exceptional talent?

People seem to think that "moving to a new league" means you are given a free pass for not showing anything in the league in a full season.

Should have bought Pedro and saved 5 million.

The signing of Lukaku would be straight forward if we had Champs League. He said Everton was a stepping stone to a bigger club.

Memphis fanboys infuriate me. Where do people get the notion he's an exceptional talent?

People seem to think that "moving to a new league" means you are given a free pass for not showing anything in the league in a full season.

People That use the word FANBOY infuriate me sounds like a little teenager looking for attention.

Just because someone supports a player and give him time to settle in... Yes he has by far been poor for us but as has been pointed out several times the majority of the team has been poor id like to give him a chance in a properly function team before I'd judge him.

Pedro has hardly set the world alright he has been very average and has not exactly settled into his new club as you would have us to believe.

• Advertisement

People That use the word FANBOY infuriate me sounds like a little teenager looking for attention.

Just because someone supports a player and give him time to settle in... Yes he has by far been poor for us but as has been pointed out several times the majority of the team has been poor id like to give him a chance in a properly function team before if judge him.

Pedro has hardly set the world alright he has been very average and has not exactly settled into his new club as you would have us to believe.

Pedro has still done more this season in the league than Memphis.

The fact he performed well against a terrible team like Midjytland shows it's not about adapting to a new country, but that's he's just not good enough.

Firminho is a perfect example of someone adapting to a new league. It does not take 9 months to get used to it.

Memphis' attitude is questionable to me. He acted like he was still playing in the eredivisie earlier this season. He doesn't track back and never tries to win the ball back when he loses it.

Supposedly one of europes most promising players, with 3 big european clubs trying to sign him, he still only gets bought for 19 million? Something doesn't add up there.

I'd much rather Adnan be given as much opportunity as Memphis has this season as he has the potential, more than Memphis.

https://twitter.com/the_manutd_blog/status/713776451837763585?s=09

Renato Sanches has just followed @ManUtd on Instagram. Make of that what you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Renato Sanches has just followed @ManUtd on Instagram. Make of that what you will.

Probably posts here and needs to get a lock on Memphis' whereabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I will judge Memphis when he plays for a manager who encourages attacking football. Better and more experienced players have struggled in this side.

Also really of all the people to compare him to is Pedro, it would be kind to say he has done much better this season.

Also fanboy what exactly is that? someone who supports a young talent having a tough time? i call that a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If we don't sign him I will be surprised. Given we are suppose to have bid for him in January, but then reported a deal would be done in the summer.

The fact he performed well against a terrible team like Midjytland shows it's not about adapting to a new country, but that's he's just not good enough.

Firminho is a perfect example of someone adapting to a new league. It does not take 9 months to get used to it.

Memphis' attitude is questionable to me. He acted like he was still playing in the eredivisie earlier this season. He doesn't track back and never tries to win the ball back when he loses it.

Supposedly one of europes most promising players, with 3 big european clubs trying to sign him, he still only gets bought for 19 million? Something doesn't add up there.

I'd much rather Adnan be given as much opportunity as Memphis has this season as he has the potential, more than Memphis.

Its not hard for pedro to do more then an out of form player that dont mean that long term pedro is going to be better saying that you have picked a player thats scored 4 goals in 20 odd appearance against a player thats scored 5 goals come on now he aint even a regular starter for Chelsea.. Both are poor.

Firmino has been good lately but took a while to find his feet too.

Adnan has been on loan and was as good as left out of dortmund team because of his attitude and you complain about memphis attitude?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Care to expand on what pedro has done more then Memphis? A quick glance over the Chelsea thread with regards Pedro it looks like Memphis 2. As for Adnan he is a 10 not a winger (something disturbing with United and 10's playing as wingers).

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I will judge Memphis when he plays for a manager who encourages attacking football. Better and more experienced players have struggled in this side.

Also really of all the people to compare him to is Pedro, it would be kind to say he has done much better this season.

Also fanboy what exactly is that? someone who supports a young talent having a tough time? i call that a fan.

Same people who **** on Adnan?

Supporting a player who doesn't defend and doesn't try to win the ball back when they lose it in midfield and has been pure dross in the league....I'd call that fanboyism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Do you think we didn't try? :D

:(

Its not hard for pedro to do more then an out of form player that dont mean that long term pedro is going to be better saying that you have picked a player thats scored 4 goals in 20 odd appearance against a player thats scored 5 goals come on now he aint even a regular starter for Chelsea.. Both are poor.

Firmino has been good lately but took a while to find his feet too.

Adnan has been on loan and was as good as left out of dortmund team because of his attitude and you complain about memphis attitude?

How is Memphis out of form? A player "out of form" for 9 months means he's not out of form, he's just bad.

• Advertisement

user2011 wrote: »
    Care to expand on what pedro has done more then Memphis? A quick glance over the Chelsea thread with regards Pedro it looks like Memphis 2. As for Adnan he is a 10 not a winger (something disturbing with United and 10's playing as wingers).

He's actually contributed in the league at times. He's familiar with possession based football. He's experienced and won every trophy he can. He can play across the front anywhere.

If he was at Liverpool he'd be branded a flop by Utd fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Same people who **** on Adnan?

Supporting a player who doesn't defend and doesn't try to win the ball back when they lose it in midfield and has been pure dross in the league....I'd call that fanboyism.

Why should it be one of the 3 attackers jobs to win the ball back?

How is Memphis out of form? A player "out of form" for 9 months means he's not out of form, he's just bad.

Thats your opinion on it and I'll respect it but he is having a tough time of It settling in he played very well in the world cup for Holland he has played well in the European cup against teams like arsenal before he joined us.

I'm not making excuses for him but to rite off the chap like you are is just over reacting.

He needs to pick up his game but he is 22 he has time.

Good rant tho hope you feel calm soon.

Liam O wrote: »
    Why should it be one of the 3 attackers jobs to win the ball back?

Because when you lose the ball in midfield by being sloppy the minimum you expect is to try and win the ball back. He doesn't care when he loses the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

He's actually contributed in the league at times. He's familiar with possession based football. He's experienced and won every trophy he can. He can play across the front anywhere.

If he was at Liverpool he'd be branded a flop by Utd fans.

Not looking to defend Memphis just questioning the players who you think are better/more deserving.

I'd near guarantee if Memphis and Adnan's rolls were reversed this season Memphis would succeed in the free attacking/scoring Dortmund side.

Search the Chelsea thread regards Pedro, don't give two fiddles what he has done (more chance he'd regress because of what he has done/team he has played in) it's here and now what counts read the recent comments in the Chelsea thread. For a guy with a winners medal in near everything a footballer can win is shocking.

Criticism of Memphis is fair he has been very poor but for myself I'm willing to give a bit more time for him to change things around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I would say that's we're about as happy we dumped Ronaldo after 1 year as Arsenal were when they got rid of Pires after a single season. Sure one single season is more than enough time to make definitive judgements on players!

Thats your opinion on it and I'll respect it but he is having a tough time of It settling in he played very well in the world cup for Holland he has played well in the European cup against teams like arsenal before he joined us.

I'm not making excuses for him but to rite off the chap like you are is just over reacting.

He needs to pick up his game but he is 22 he has time.

Good rant tho hope you feel calm soon.

:rolleyes:

How long is he going to live off the world cup? He wasn't anything special to me during it anyways. Martins Indi was a great player in the world cup and he's nothing great.

How long of not doing anything in the league do you go before saying he's not actually good.

We're not good as a team but many players have had patches of form. Martial has shown he has got it. Rooney had a good start in 2016. Lingard has even shown good glimpses and provided assists v Man City and a goal v Chelsea.

When Mourinho comes and doesn't play him I guess everyone will complain it's Mous fault that Memphis didn't make it. I am very sure Memphis will not make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

"Fanboy". Is there a more cringe worthy term?

Billy86 wrote: »
    I would say that's we're about as happy we dumped Ronaldo after 1 year as Arsenal were when they got rid of Pires after a single season. Sure one single season is more than enough time to make definitive judgements on players!

Don't dare mention Depay in the same sentence as Ronaldo. lol.

Ronaldo came as a 17 year old and consistently showed glimpses of his potential. His debut v Bolton led Rodney Marsh on soccer saturday to say "This lad's gonna be a superstar Jeff."

I suppose you were a massive supporter of Bebe in his first season? How about Obertan? How about Macheda?

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    "Fanboy". Is there a more cringe worthy term?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fanboy

:rolleyes:

How long is he going to live off the world cup? He wasn't anything special to me during it anyways. Martins Indi was a great player in the world cup and he's nothing great.

How long of not doing anything in the league do you go before saying he's not actually good.

We're not good as a team but many players have had patches of form. Martial has shown he has got it. Rooney had a good start in 2016. Lingard has even shown good glimpses and provided assists v Man City and a goal v Chelsea.

When Mourinho comes and doesn't play him I guess everyone will complain it's Mous fault that Memphis didn't make it. I am very sure Memphis will not make it.

Im not getting into a tit for tat with you over your opinion its great that you Know he wont make it and that mourinho Won't play him.

I agree he has been bad but you can't write him off yet and I just don't see how you can say a very average player that is 6 years older then him is a better investment and label people that do support him as fanboys.

Anyways im done kid.

Im not getting into a tit for tat with you over your opinion its great that you Know he wont make it and that mourinho Won't play him.

I agree he has been bad but you can't write him off yet and I just don't see how you can say a very average player that is 6 years older then him is a better investment and label people that do support him as fanboys.

Anyways im done kid.

Yeah I know you're done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Please let Smalling come through this unscathed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Quandary wrote: »
    Please let Smalling come through this unscathed

The lads at soccerway thinks that he is playing CM :D

http://ie.soccerway.com/matches/2016/03/26/world/friendlies/germany/england/2165478/?ICID=HP_MS_01_05

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Dunno why you are giving me a link to the meaning of the term, I understand it perfectly.

My point still stands.

• Advertisement

Great finish from kroos long range effort. Sign him up ha.

adox wrote: »
    Dunno why you are giving me a link to the meaning of the term, I understand it perfectly.

My point still stands.

How is it cringey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

manchester-united-16-17-away-kit-2.jpg

How is it cringey?

By and large, it's usually used to dismiss a large group of people who have a differing opinion than you do. It's an incredibly lazy discussion technique...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

xtal191 wrote: »
    manchester-united-16-17-away-kit-2.jpg

Nice enough but looks a lot like the training top for this year with more of a 'texture'
    http://store.manutd.com/stores/manutd/en/product/manchester-united-training-jersey-royal-blue/163090

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Jose is the closest thing to Fergie we'll get

Lots of similarities between the two

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Robson99

Would rather we got Ali if we getting anyone from Spurs.
    And Stones if anyone from Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Lovely goal by Kane there. Thought he'd be just a one season wonder but that's not the case, he's a class player to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭secman

Korat wrote: »
    I haven't seen much of Lukaku. What's the difference between him and Benteke?

One is better than Heskey and one is worse than Heskey , guess which one pool bought and guess which one Toffees bought :)

Robson99 wrote: »
    Would rather we got Ali if we getting anyone from Spurs.
    And Stones if anyone from Everton

I'm really not sold on Stones. Definitely not for the money it would take to get him anyway. Deli Ali does look very exciting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Robson99

Quandary wrote: »
    I'm really not sold on Stones. Definitely not for the money it would take to get him anyway. Deli Ali does look very exciting though.

Very few top class centre half that are gettatable. Stones could be one of the easier options to get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Rooney might be on the bench during the Euros. Vardy just outdid Kane with a volleyed backheel past Neuer.

What about Barkley lads?

Lukaku,Stones,Barkley might as well throw in Osman as well :D

J. Marston wrote: »
    Rooney might be on the bench during the Euros. Vardy just outdid Kane with a volleyed backheel past Neuer.

Great finish

Robson99 wrote: »
    Very few top class centre half that are gettatable. Stones could be one of the easier options to get

He's only a young boy still and he is a lovely footballer but I'm not sold on him defensively. It would be a big £m gamble IMO.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement