Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

Nice enough but looks a lot like the training top for this year with more of a 'texture'
    http://store.manutd.com/stores/manutd/en/product/manchester-united-training-jersey-royal-blue/163090

Much better off looking up chinese suppliers for next seasons jerseys. Much more reliable.

x2brDWo.png

Adidas are moving to the stripes along the side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I'd love to see Dele Alli in a United shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Don't dare mention Depay in the same sentence as Ronaldo. lol.

Ronaldo came as a 17 year old and consistently showed glimpses of his potential. His debut v Bolton led Rodney Marsh on soccer saturday to say "This lad's gonna be a superstar Jeff."

I suppose you were a massive supporter of Bebe in his first season? How about Obertan? How about Macheda?

Ronaldo was 19 and was the butt of a lot of jokes over his step overs and lack of end product for quite a while.

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

TonyD79 wrote: »
    Ronaldo was 19 and was the butt of a lot of jokes over his step overs and lack of end product for quite a while.

Ronaldo was 17 when he came here and was obvious he was going to be a star. Ronaldo had a better season at 17 than Memphis has had at 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I for one think Memphis has shown glimpses and look forward to seeing him next season. Obviously we would have liked more but lets not forget coming to a new league is tough but coming to a new league and also a team that is going through a tough passage doesn't help. It's not been a good season and very few players can say they have played consistently well. Dont see how people can doubt he has ability however as hes proven it at international stage and in the dutch league (a league people seem to shrug off despite the talent that comes through it).

Might just be crazy from me but I think when Shaw comes back Memphis will start to improve. We saw some good performances with them linked up at the beginning of the season and I feel with Shaws pace and work rate going forward but also covering back would undoubtedly help Memphis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Ronaldo was 17 when he came here and was obvious he was going to be a star. Ronaldo had a better season at 17 than Memphis has had at 22.

Ah please.

Ronaldo was mocked as a showboater who loved himself and who had clear talent but wasted it in self indulgent tricks which went nowhere. It was obvious Ravel Morrison was going to be a star too, but he didn't develop. Ronaldo developed massively in his third (first time he got more than 10 goals in all competions) and fourth season (first time he got more than 10 goals in the PL).

Memphis clearly has talent - some of the stuff he can do when on form is ridiculous. He has clearly not shown more than glimpses of what he can do in the PL. He may never develop to being more than a flat-track bully. But I would not write him off after a single season. As it is, Memphis has 1 more goal in his first season in March with United than Ronaldo did by the end of his first season despite playing a similar amount of games. Ronaldo was given time...Memphis can be given another season or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

TonyD79 wrote: »

Brought back memories of this :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Sand wrote: »
    Memphis clearly has talent - some of the stuff he can do when on form is ridiculous. He has clearly not shown more than glimpses of what he can do in the PL. He may never develop to being more than a flat-track bully. But I would not write him off after a single season. As it is, Memphis has 1 more goal in his first season in March with United than Ronaldo did by the end of his first season despite playing a similar amount of games. Ronaldo was given time...Memphis can be given another season or two.

You can't compare Ronaldo and Memphis. The raw unfinished Ronaldo had world class speed, technique and skills but lacked the experience and physique to use them effectively.

Memphis arrived physically developed and has played four full seasons of top level football, including the Champions League and the World Cup.

At this point he's more like Theo Walcott.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

This one predicted Memphis and Blind would be shyte. Bought because they were born in the same country as the manager.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

This one predicted Memphis and Blind would be shyte. Bought because they were born in the same country as the manager.

Blind has been more solid then sh1t. He has had alot of good games just because he makes a mistake it dont mean he should be dismissed as sh1t.

I wonder what percentage of goals has blind been at fault for compaired to Mike I don't think they would be much difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote:
    I wonder what percentage of goals has blind been at fault for compaired to Mike I don't think they would be much difference.

It's a lol blinds fault
    Even when it's Mike it was because of something Blind did

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Speaking of Blind...

https://twitter.com/football_oranje/status/714049978948317184

Daley Blind also injured during training. Severity unknown at the moment.

EDIT: Follow up is its nothing too bad and he should be ok...

brinty wrote: »
    It's a lol blinds fault
    Even when it's Mike it was because of something Blind did

I will admit that I do believe that Mike had to cover blinds ass a lot of time too due to blinds positioning but this is normal it was same with Vidic and Ferdinand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

brtcekW.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Have ya got this week's lotto numbers please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Have ya got this week's lotto numbers please?

So we know what not to pick?

I wonder will rooney call it quits with England after the euros or will he keep going. On current form he is not the first choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

jayo26 wrote: »
    I wonder will rooney call it quits with England after the euros or will he keep going. On current form he is not the first choice.

More to the point will Hodgson have the cajones to drop him when he is fully fit.

I'd be surprised if he does and if he doesn't, it will be Engerlunds undoing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It Rooney - form and performances are irrelevant to whether he gets picked or not, has been that way for years, and he knows it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Billy86 wrote: »
    It Rooney - form and performances are irrelevant to whether he gets picked or not, has been that way for years, and he knows it.

LVG only affirmed this.

Rooney not playing means "he needs games to play himself back into form".

Rooney still playing rubbish means "he needs a rest".

Rooney still sh1te after both options means "lets play him anyway,he's Rooney".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Liam O wrote: »
    So we know what not to pick?

Considering I was right about Blind and Depay then it'd be folly to choose against me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

More to the point will Hodgson have the cajones to drop him when he is fully fit.

I'd be surprised if he does and if he doesn't, it will be Engerlunds undoing.

But why drop him? His goal scoring record is excellent since Hodgson took over. He has scored in 10 out of 14 games which is a great record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    But why drop him? His goal scoring record is excellent since Hodgson took over. He has scored in 10 out of 14 games which is a great record.

There's an argument that England would do better going for a younger team that can play a high pressure game this summer.

It's all about the gengenpressing these days!!

Can Rooney do the work required in that system or would England be better going for Kane, Vardy, Alli, Lallana etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

So what's the chances of us getting ibra...seems bookies have him fav for us. I'd be delighted anyway as long as we got another big striker too like Kane etc

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    So what's the chances of us getting ibra...seems bookies have him fav for us. I'd be delighted anyway as long as we got another big striker too like Kane etc

Pointless speculating about what players might come in until we know who the new manager is going to be imo.

I know everyone is saying Mourinho has a good relationship with Ibra and therefore he might sign for us, but even though Jose seems nailed on to be in charge for next season none of us really know what's going to happen.

Still though, it's in every football fan's nature to fantasise about potential arrivals, so I reckon Jose will come and immediately try and buy Willian from Chelsea before targeting a striker that none of us had even considered.

Pointless speculating about what players might come in until we know who the new manager is going to be imo.

I know everyone is saying Mourinho has a good relationship with Ibra and therefore he might sign for us, but even though Jose seems nailed on to be in charge for next season none of us really know what's going to happen.

Still though, it's in every football fan's nature to fantasise about potential arrivals, so I reckon Jose will come and immediately try and buy Willian from Chelsea before targeting a striker that none of us had even considered.

Ah yeah but it's international break so thought it was time to bring up some ridiculous transfer talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I think Kane stays at Spurs, he doesn't have any reason to leave.

If we did get Ibrahimovic, then I would like United to try and get Griezmann to complete a front three with Martial.
    For the summer I would like:
    Stones/Varane for CB.
    Looks like we will be getting Renato sanches for midfield, wouldn't mind Kroos...
    Upfront Griezmann to play on the right with a free role there, and then Aubameyang or Lukaku, but Ibrahimovic would be great too for striker role.

United have been lacking goals for years at this stage.

Probably good chance but I wouldn't be overly excited about it. He is 34 and looking for one last payday before he retires and he would probably get 300k a week for the honour.

Id much prefer we sign Lukaku and we have Lukaku, rooney, Martial and Rashford to choose from.

If we signed Ibrahimovic he would be short term and take the place if a long term answer.

But at end of the day he is a quality player but just the wrong age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'd love Sanchez, he's wasting his time at Arsenal in their current form, a proper Mourinho player too. There would be riots at Arsenal if he was sold however. I think if we want Ibra we will get him, I'd look to sign Lukaku first.

It seems like every summer now we are highlighting the importance of signing a load of players and that is because Woody has consistently failed to build a solid team over the last 3 summer windows, maybe the managers had a big part to play in that who knows, but if Mourinho is the next manager I doubt he will accept the standard that has been set.

Probably good chance but I wouldn't be overly excited about it. He is 34 and looking for one last payday before he retires and he would probably get 300k a week for the honour.

Id much prefer we sign Lukaku and we have Lukaku, rooney, Martial and Rashford to choose from.

If we signed Ibrahimovic he would be short term and take the place if a long term answer.

But at end of the day he is a quality player but just the wrong age.

Have seen him only in a few champions league games and not week in week out. Does he rely on pace or more of a berbitov player? Maybe we could get 2 seasons out of him if it was the latter

• Advertisement

I dont see how we can blame Woodward for the calibre of player signed it has to be the managers fault. he has thrown cash at lvg and he has spent it i think the only two players you could say the club signed were Shaw and herrera but the rest are all lvg.

Similar if mourinho comes in i think they will be his players.

Have seen him only in a few champions league games and not week in week out. Does he rely on pace or more of a berbitov player? Maybe we could get 2 seasons out of him if it was the latter

Oh no he for sure is a berbatov type player from what I know Ibrahimovic never had great pace but he has an exceptional touch and vision im sure he would do a job for us if he is signed I just think he would be incredibly short term and in two years time we are looking to splash out more money on replacing him and probably rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

So many quality players are gonna write us off as a potential club to sign for if we don't get CL football.

Lukaku has already mentioned this recently and I feel Ibra would definitely want to play in the CL.

I wouldn't be surprised if some big names went to the likes of Leicester or Spurs or maybe even West Ham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Just from a pure I want to see him in the league, I hope ye go after Ibra over Lukaku, a season with Martial playing with him would bring him on another step. Dont see Kane leaving ye tbh, hes a local lad and while ye have had a good transfer record from Spurs were any off them Spurs raised.

Lukaku once again talking about Jose...

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/2838251/romelu-lukaku-open-to-mourinho-reunion-amid-man-united-links

The Portuguese coach later claimed that the player was "not highly motivated" to fight for his starting place at the Blues after spending two seasons on loan at West Bromwich Albion and Everton.

However, speaking to Belgian newspaper La Derniere Heure, Lukaku said he would have no issue working under Mourinho again.

"Of course," Lukaku said. "Some people will say that I need to convince him but it's not a question of that. Three years ago I was 20 and I wasn't ready to be immediately effective in a top team.

"Several good seasons, including the current one, have changed the situation. I'll be 23 [in May] and I could leave this summer."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I would definitely take Ibra for a year. The man will guarantee us goals and some moments of magic to shout about.

It would be beneficial for the likes of Martial and Rashford to train with him for the year and learn from his experience.

Ibra usually means a league title as well ;)

I saw reports yesterday that PSG were interested in Martial as a Ibra replacement. Nothing solid or concrete, but an easy story to write; Super Rich French team eye French striker.

I would be expecting 100m for him if true though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I dont see how we can blame Woodward for the calibre of player signed it has to be the managers fault. he has thrown cash at lvg and he has spent it i think the only two players you could say the club signed were Shaw and herrera but the rest are all lvg.

Similar if mourinho comes in i think they will be his players.

Paddy crerand recently said on a phone in show that it was all the managers fault as any player he asked for was signed.

The caller was angry with woodward/glazers for signings.

So i would take paddys word for it and not put much blame on ed either

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Paddy crerand recently said on a phone in show that it was all the managers fault as any player he asked for was signed.

The caller was angry with woodward/glazers for signings.

So i would take paddys word for it and not put much blame on ed either

That for me was one of first signs from inside club that LVG could be going. Paddy does not talk against club or managers ever but he did that night. It was like he knows something so hang the manager out to dry and not the bigger boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Well lads a few of ye asked about my setup for watching sport on my projector a while back. Starstreams have opened a few slots. Pm me for invite link if ye want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

There's an argument that England would do better going for a younger team that can play a high pressure game this summer.

It's all about the gengenpressing these days!!

Can Rooney do the work required in that system or would England be better going for Kane, Vardy, Alli, Lallana etc.

A bit off topic but

For England I think they would be best off starting the tournament with a Kane, Rooney partnership and have the pace and direct running of Vardy to come off the bench with 20-30 min to go were he can run at tired defenders.

Obviously if Rooney turns up in his August - December 2015 form for the first game or 2 he should definitely be dropped. Too much talent up front for England for them to be carrying an out of form Rooney.

England actually have a pretty decent squad this time around, whether they will use it correctly or not is another thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

They should play Vardy on the right with Rooney and Kane imo.

Liam O wrote: »
    They should play Vardy on the right with Rooney and Kane imo.

I think Roy wants a tight diamond in midfield two narrow midfielder with an attack midfielder and two forwards. Prob rooney behind vardy and kane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Off topic-

Will England play with only one up top and three behind? Kane I presume wud be No. 9 so Rooney is a 10 or off right hand side if he's in starting 11?

As said above, if Rooney finishes the season poorly then you couldn't start him as his form generally takes a while to kick in and he plays in form over short periods of time, so England hoping it coincides with Euros.

Rooney being benched is not the crazy idea it once was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Off topic-

Will England play with only one up top and three behind? Kane I presume wud be No. 9 so Rooney is a 10 or off right hand side if he's in starting 11?

As said above, if Rooney finishes the season poorly then you couldn't start him as his form generally takes a while to kick in and he plays in form over short periods of time, so England hoping it coincides with Euros.

Rooney being benched is not the crazy idea it once was.

True, it would actually be good for England if he's officially still in recovery when the Euro's are kicking off, so the media pressure surrounding him dissipates. Could end up with a weird awkward in-between phase of him being back physically fit, but not match fit, with a lot of pressure to play him even though as you said it usually takes him a month of games to get back to a decent level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I just want two proven goalscorers to go with Martial in a top 3 upfront.

Van Persie was the last real in form striker we had, and that was in the time of Fergie.

Rashford has an air of Martial off him, seems very calm as a person but he is too young still at 18 to count on, but he could be the biggest prospect from the underage squad.
    I actually prefer Rashford over Rooney. So far, Rashford has been more clinical with his chances, and if he was to keep his current form, then 4th would be a possibility for United.
    Wouldn't mind him being tried on the right as that is such a weak side for us. Lingard can be great or a miss, and prefer Mata more central behind the striker.

The biggest problem for whoever is our manager next summer is to make the goal drought disappear.
    Currently of the top 10 teams in the PL, only Stoke have scored less at 34 goals, United have 38.
    Spurs have scored 56 goals which is the most.
    Spurs are the only team to have conceded less goals than us.

We would have a good team if we added proven goal threats to our team, Martial should improve, hopefully Memphis does too, but 1 or 2 more proven goal scoring (+20 goals) would have us challenging again for major honours.
    I would like 2...current team lacks enough goals. Maybe some of it is the managers fault, but one thing one use to associate with United was lethal strikers, at the moment Martial is our best, Rooney for the first half of the season couldn't have been worse, got form then injured...Rashford we have to wait and see, but he seems better with the better quality players around him, and dare I say it...what we had hoped Welbeck to be, but he is gone due not to taking his chances when at United.
    Ibrahimovic on a free and then for right wing, Gareth Bale would be the man.
    That would be a handful for any team, the talk is Real Madrid are set to offer Bale €400,000 a week.
    We need GOALS...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

RobertKK wrote: »
    I actually prefer Rashford over Rooney. So far, Rashford has been more clinical with his chances, and if he was to keep his current form, then 4th would be a possibility for United.

His current form? The city goal was his first in 6 games, thats not form that gets you anywhere near the CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

His current form? The city goal was his first in 6 games, thats not form that gets you anywhere near the CL.
    He made his debut 32 days ago and has 5 goals in 7.5 games, even more impressive as 4 of those games were Liverpool (x2), City and Arsenal. I'll take that over Rooney's increasingly paltry returns, where he could very realistically end this season in single digit league goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Billy86 wrote: »
    He made his debut 32 days ago and has 5 goals in 7.5 games, even more impressive as 4 of those games were Liverpool (x2), City and Arsenal. I'll take that over Rooney's increasingly paltry returns, where he could very realistically end this season in single digit league goals.

That wasn't the point though. Rashford has done great for a kid and fair play to him, but the OP said that with his current form 4th would be a possibility, when the simple fact is that it isn't, inconsistent goal returns like that won't cut it.

Nothing to do with Rooney and not a slight on Rashford, simply an inaccurate claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Ahh come on it's not like he was tripping over his legs in the box or blazing sitters over the bar... like a certain Arsenal player used do regularly. :P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement