Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Have seen people say this a lot, but one bad situation shouldn't be enough to put people off top class talent. Especially when as much of that can be attributed to...
    1. Said player specifically said he PSG was always where he wanted to go.
    2. LVG has everyone underpreforming.

I'd look at Ozil and Sanchez in Arsenal, for example. They've done very weel afetr leaving Real.

ozil apart from this season has been poor enough for the money they paid for him. Even this season at end of Jan/feb he has been poor again when it mattered.

Sanchez was excellent last season but ask the majority of arsenal supporters and they would be glad if he was dropped for a few games, been average this season.

brinty wrote: »
    Think its fair to say I'm not bothered one way or the other by this.
    He's not set the world alight and if we can recoup what we paid for him I'm ok with him departing.

no chance we will get 16m. Be lucky to get half that considering his wages as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Liam O wrote: »
    I feel I've said this a lot of times. I don't want my wide forwards in a 4-3-3 to be chasing balls back to the left/right back. Messi and Neymar don't do it, Ronaldo and Bale don't do it, Ribery and Robben don't do it.

I agree with this, and I'm not really worried about his lack of defensive ability. What I was trying to say was that he doesn't seem to be able to keep his concentration, that is the key reason, IMO, why is isn't able to track back.

On your point about the attacking being the main point, again that is very true but even in that aspect he is very poor. He appears to be very easily dispossesed, raley makes something out of nothing. I fail to see what, apart from brief glimpses he offers.
    bangkok wrote: »
    lots of stories this morning that Rojo will be sold by Utd this summer

I don't really understand this. He is a solid, if unspectacular performer. Just don't see what harm he has being there. He is not the cause of the problems or even I would suggest one of the worst performers. In saying that, it would be no great loss to see him go, but Valencia, Jones would be more a priority for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

lots of stories this morning that Rojo will be sold by Utd this summer

He never looks like he's match fit, if we can get some money for him I'd take it and try and do better next time we sign some defenders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

zerks wrote: »
    Looks like Luke Shaw is to return to full training next week.Good news.

I'd rather he didn't till the summer. All that's going to happen now is he gets a United game or two and Woy then takes him to the Euro's and plays him every minute of every game like the moron he is.

It's hard to fathom but it looks like United will be rebuilding yet again this summer. If we hope to get back to challenging for honours on all fronts over the next couple of years, who's good enough to make a starting 11?

De Gea (will prob leave), Smalling, Shaw, Schneiderlein (mixed first season), Martial and an in-form Rooney (one/two seasons left in him at best).

Is there need for extensive signings again? Can't think of many more at United who'd start in a top team.

He never looks like he's match fit, if we can get some money for him I'd take it and try and do better next time we sign some defenders!

I would say him missing the pre season in America left a sour taste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Anyone in the thinking like me that Rooney should be let go in the summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Have any of LvG's signings been a success?

• Advertisement

hi-res-3b1d5b59f90200670c80001641ba9b65_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

In goal: De Gea, all the talk is Real Madrid have turned their attention to Courtois.
    In Defense: Darmian or Varela at right back, Smalling partnered by Stones or Varane, with Shaw at left back
    In Midfield: Schneiderlin and it seems we will have Renato Sanches who is a box to box midfielder, wouldn't mind having Kroos too who can score some nice goals too.
    In attack: Martial on the left has worked very well so far even though he wants to play as a striker. We need a 25+ proven goal scorer for our main striker and I would take Ibrahimovic as a free if it meant we would spend heavily on a player who can play right wing and score lots of goals - so that would be someone like Bale who would really cost a lot if he were to leave RM, Muller who Bayern won't sell, Griezmann who would be more than capable or Mahrez who I think will want to stick around with Leicester for another season.
    Getting a top class player for right wing will be very costly.

Rooney and Mata have not done enough this season so far, Mata has been better when played at his preferred number 10 position.

So right now I would choose a new CB, up to two midfielders and two in attack.

It may be a last chance to get money for him. So United have to weigh that up against getting maybe two more years of football out of him.

He is one of our few world class players, on his day, so I'd be slow to cash in but you just don't know what Rooney will turn up for the next two seasons.

Under Fergie he'd probably be gone but that was when United could suffer the loss of talent as they had plenty other top class players. We don't anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Yes.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

At this point, whats the point? We aren't going to get mega money for him from any club that he might actually want to join, so we may as well just keep him.

I do think he is on a downward trend but he has the quality and a new manager may still be able to get a resurgence from him, we may as well have him there as an option than sell him for a few quid that we would have to spend on another backup striker anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Its dependent on him really, if he is not happy with a reduced role/will cause any hassle, then better off getting rid. Other then that at this stage I just keep him. Other then getting huge money for him from China, where he probably won't want to go, there is nobody going to pay good money for him and he could rejuvenate himself again I suppose. Great option to have in the squad if he was happy to play that role.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Some reports that the Dutch FA want LVG back as a technical director for the national team.

there is plenty of other players to think about getting rid of before you get rid of Rooney

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Some reports that the Dutch FA want LVG back as a technical director for the national team.

I'll put diesel in the car and drop him over to dutchland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I'll kick him over to Dutchland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

there is plenty of other players to think about getting rid of before you get rid of Rooney

I don't know if we can really think of getting rid of players given how small the squad is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Take Depay too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I think Memphis will have a successful career. Most likely elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

jayo26 wrote: »
    I'll kick him over to Dutchland

Who would have thought we'd see the day where that'd be said about our own manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Who would have thought we'd see the day where that'd be said about our own manager.

cFHeNeP.gif

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

I feel I've said this a lot of times. I don't want my wide forwards in a 4-3-3 to be chasing balls back to the left/right back. Messi and Neymar don't do it, Ronaldo and Bale don't do it, Ribery and Robben don't do it. Obviously there's games where it is necessary for everyone to be a bit more defensive but I feel the problem with the United system is that these players are so far back all the time so are never in position when the attacks happen.

If you look at Memphis' goals and assists in the past he has been given freedom to come inside and impact the game centrally. As do all the above mentioned wingers. It's hard to do that if you've to chase someone up and down the wings all game. That's what the 2 defensive midfielders should be covering in the United system.

Ribery and Robben under Heynecks repeatedly tracked back. It's why they were so dangerous on the counter because they were able to receive the ball from so deep.

And the goals conceded from Bale/Ronaldo/Neymar not tracking back are made up with the goals they score. Willian is a brilliant winger and track back.

Marko Arnautovic does it for Stoke. Memphis isn't even as good as him right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm in that camp now. Last opportunity to probably cash in on him, not that we need the money, but I'd say his influence has very much dwindled to the point of parody.

I was very hopeful in seeing him back in the striker role this season and was confident he would do the business and that has totally blown up in my face. While excuses will be made for tactics or team setup, I think a simple fact is a good striker will score goals regardless. He tends to drift around too much and just influence games in negative ways, and he's become noticeably slower both in possesion and in his movement.

I've never held much love for Rooney after his ransom demands a few years back, and Fergie was clearly setting Moyes up to not have to deal with him, with the transfer request fiasco, and maybe in hindsight that would have been for the best. Maybe Van Persie would have had a different spell, maybe other strikers would come to the club.

I don't see how we can attract a top striker with Rooney there, as top class strikers arn't going to play second fiddle. Rooney has always been streaky, and nearly always had those spells out injured. This season was nearly a carbon copy of what anyone could predict. A horrendous patch of form where he looks barely a Sunday league player, a purple patch where he cant stop scoring, then out for AGES with injury.

It will no doubt be a very hotly debated topic, that is even starting in England with their national team selection, but I'd imagine will come here closer to summer.

But for me, I'd thank him for his years at the club and move him on. There are options out there to soften the blow dramatically, and it would free up some incredibly large wages to be utilised on other players.

I also think that maybe we just need that final clearout of the last remnants of Fergie's players, to really take a clean slate to it. Players that are new and not institutionalized, that will follow a managers directions, and won't have any harping back to days gone by.

Carrick,Rooney,Valencia and young could well be on the way out the door this summer. And I wouldn't be massively objecting to any of them. I'd be willing to give Phil Jones one more season, but if he again misses large portions through injury I'd be sending him packing. I'd give Rojo another year to see how he goes without injury, and similar to Jones if its more of the same, I'd be selling him also.

Still not sure where I am at with Fellaini. I don't think he is good enough to actually play to his strengths, as in build a system around him, but I just keep thinking he is a handy player. I'd probably move him on, just avoid the ridiculous reactions he generates, as for many he is clearly the scapegoat for the failed Moyes era.

Rojo is a squad player at best and considering we have Blind now as a CB option and CBJ stepping up we don't need him. Was it a good idea signing a player who went on strike to force a move through? Totally wrong way to go about it yet everyone thought Di Maria was a bastard for doing it.

Rojo is a squad player at best and considering we have Blind now as a CB option and CBJ stepping up we don't need him. Was it a good idea signing a player who went on strike to force a move through? Totally wrong way to go about it yet everyone thought Di Maria was a bastard for doing it.

Di maria didn't go on strike?? He just didn't play very well..

Man Utd squad.....My summer plan.....

1 Spain GK David de Gea (keep)

4 England DF Phil Jones (keep)

5 Argentina DF Marcos Rojo (sell)

7 Netherlands FW Memphis Depay (keep)

8 Spain MF Juan Mata (keep)

9 France FW Anthony Martial (keep)

10 England FW Wayne Rooney (captain) (keep)

11 Belgium MF Adnan Januzaj (sell)

12 England DF Chris Smalling (third captain) (keep)

16 England MF Michael Carrick (vice-captain) (keep)

17 Netherlands MF Daley Blind (keep)

18 England MF Ashley Young (sell)

20 Argentina GK Sergio Romero (keep)

21 Spain MF Ander Herrera (keep)

23 England DF Luke Shaw (keep)

25 Ecuador MF Antonio Valencia (keep)

27 Belgium MF Marouane Fellaini (sell)

28 France MF Morgan Schneiderlin (keep)

30 Uruguay DF Guillermo Varela (keep)

31 Germany MF Bastian Schweinsteiger (keep)

33 Northern Ireland DF Paddy McNair (keep)

34 England GK Dean Henderson (keep)

35 England MF Jesse Lingard (keep)

36 Italy DF Matteo Darmian (keep)

37 Scotland DF Donald Love (loan)

38 Democratic Republic of the Congo DF Axel Tuanzebe (loan)

39 England FW Marcus Rashford (keep)

40 Portugal GK Joel Castro Pereira (keep)

41 Wales DF Regan Poole (loan)

43 England DF Cameron Borthwick-Jackson (keep)

44 Brazil MF Andreas Pereira (loan)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If Rooney can be sold to China for more than he's worth, he should be.
    If Everton would take Rooney in a deal for Lukaku, he should be.

Issue will be if Rooney decides to sit on his big paycheck for the next year or two....

• Advertisement

Di maria didn't go on strike?? He just didn't play very well..

Plenty of Utd fans seemed to think he forced the move through.

I'd really prefer to see Pereiras development put ahead of Memphis' right now. Let Pereira have a proper chance that he deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Don't understand the rush to get Rojo out of the club. Don't recall him doing much wrong in a United shirt. We're hardly blessed with great defenders as it is right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

I'd really prefer to see Pereiras development put ahead of Memphis' right now. Let Pereira have a proper chance that he deserves.

Pereira is more of a central player from what I've seen of him. I think he has the potential to be a very good no.10. Aside from Rashfrod exploding onto the scene, Periera is probably the most exciting player to come out of the youths for a number of years.

As a wide player Memphis has very little competition. Young/Valencia are on the wrong side of 30 now, Lingaard is very up and down, who else do we have?

I can see Memphis getting a decent chance under the next manager. He's still only 22.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭billo.d86

Don't understand the rush to get Rojo out of the club. Don't recall him doing much wrong in a United shirt. We're hardly blessed with great defenders as it is right now.

I've always liked Rojo, he puts in a shift that is for sure! He is a no nonsense defender and that is what United need.
    Especially with the nonsense we have seen from Evans, Jones and Samlling over the last few years.
    LVG deserves credit for getting shot of Evans, and turning Smalling into a real player.
    Jones needs to be show the door. Constantly injured, never gonna make the grade.

Pereira doesn't play on the wings he is and should Be more of a central midfielder he is ideally ment to be playing the role that Jesse played centrally the past two games.

Pereira doesn't play on the wings he is and should Be more of a central midfielder he is ideally ment to be playing the role that Jesse played centrally the past two games.

He can play from the left.

It'd be the same as playing Mata on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

So a terrible idea then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

Poor aul Neville has been sacked, hopefully he'll go back to Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Rojo is a squad player at best and considering we have Blind now as a CB option and CBJ stepping up we don't need him.

Yeah, who needs squad players? Not us.

So a terrible idea then?

Don't think Pereira is as weak, slow or as ****e a dribbler as Pereira.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Yeah, who needs squad players? Not us.

McNair, Mensah, CBJ are squad players.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

McNair, Mensah, CBJ are squad players.

Wow, so many. And Rojo is better than all of them at centre-back.

Just because he can play there dont mean he should.

Pereira is a central Midfielder one of the the biggest mistakes of united over the years is to shoehorn players into positions they shouldn't be in.

Let the boy develope where he is ment to.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Wow, so many. And Rojo is better than all of them at centre-back.

We're buying a new CB in the summer and Blind and Jones can cover CB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

We're buying a new CB in the summer and Blind and Jones can cover CB.

Jones can cover a treatment table, not sure he's good for much else these days...

fwiw, I like Rojo. Think he'd be a good partner to Smalling, if a little too similar maybe.

Jones can cover a treatment table, not sure he's good for much else these days...

fwiw, I like Rojo. Think he'd be a good partner to Smalling, if a little too similar maybe.

He's a younger Evans. He's not aggressive like many think either. Perfect example is one of the Liverpool games where there was a ball to be won and instead of going with his head he put in a high boot and gave away a free kick on the edge of the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Well there goes Neville then. I felt from the beginning that the Valencia job was too big a job for a young man just being introduced to the football managing game.

I feel like the same will be said down the years if Giggs was to take over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

TheDoc wrote: »
    he is clearly the scapegoat for the failed Moyes era.
    Moyes had an "era"???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

If the club is ran properly over the summer none of the first team squad will be sold and there will be additions made.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement