Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

adox wrote: »
    If the club is ran properly over the summer none of the first team squad will be sold and there will be additions made.

Well maybe some of the older guys will. Replacements and additions are priority mind.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

adox wrote: »
    If the club is ran properly over the summer none of the first team squad will be sold and there will be additions made.

I get the ideology, but there's a few players who we can move on either because they aren't up to the task any more (Rooney, Valencia, for example) or because selling them may free up money and wages to upgrade them (again, Rooney). Players who'll demand first team football when we shouldn't be giving it to them.

I don't want another clear out and wouldn't be advocating the sale of 10 players. But there's 3 or 4 who could be shipped out for various reasons, and who would be replaced easily enough by Jose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

This place gonna go into melt down if jose isn't united manager come July the 1st lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Well there goes Neville then. I felt from the beginning that the Valencia job was too big a job for a young man just being introduced to the football managing game.

I feel like the same will be said down the years if Giggs was to take over.

Not being able to speak the language was a massive hindrance for Neville.

bangkok wrote: »
    Not being able to speak the language was a massive hindrance for Neville.

Was always going to be a hard job for him and fair play for having the balls to go do it hopefully it won't set Him back to much, managers like Koeman and pochetino had bad ends to careers in Spain too it dont make him a bad manager.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Stick Rooney up front for a functioning team and he would score a lot of goals. He is more than capable of a 1 goal every 2 game scoring rate (or better).

It would also be good for Martial to stay as a player who can play up front or from the wing. Keeping Rooney will allow him the chance to do both.

I would like to see the no 9 position left to Rooney, Martial and Rashford for now with other attacking positions improved. United need a Mahrez, Reus or Griezmann more than a new no 9. Even if a new no 9 came in Rooney would need to be kept to have sufficient numbers and quality in the squad.

A new central defender and another mobile midfield player to help with the workrate from the start or bench would be the other key improvements.

Rooney to be replaced in the following summer.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I get the ideology, but there's a few players who we can move on either because they aren't up to the task any more (Rooney, Valencia, for example) or because selling them may free up money and wages to upgrade them (again, Rooney). Players who'll demand first team football when we shouldn't be giving it to them.

I don't want another clear out and wouldn't be advocating the sale of 10 players. But there's 3 or 4 who could be shipped out for various reasons, and who would be replaced easily enough by Jose.

United don't need to free up wages right now, they did a good job of that the last couple of summers and the squad is already small. An upgrade on Rooney would cost a huge amount of money in transfer fee and wages so it wouldn't be a saving. United shouldn't be moving on any attacking players this summer. They need to add to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

DM_7 wrote: »
    Stick Rooney up front for a functioning team and he would score a lot of goals. He is more than capable of a 1 goal every 2 game scoring rate (or better).
    That's a big problem, as Rooney often gets in the way of helping a team function.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Billy86 wrote: »
    That's a big problem, as Rooney often gets in the way of helping a team function.

United don't function regardless of Rooney playing or not.

Blame him anyway.

I wouldn't be getting rid of too many players until we see how they perform under a new manager. I'm of the belief that all but a few of the squad are playing below par under LVG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Rooney's finishing is still top drawer you just have to tailor the team in a way that gives him chances. Moyes thought Rooney was Peter Crouch and Van Gaal looks lost on anything other than keeping possession

Rooney has 7 goals in 21 games, you can't expect him to score 15-20 goals when we regularly have 1 shot on goal at home against poor teams

• Advertisement

DM_7 wrote: »

I guess I'm just sick of the excuses and talk of what he could potentially do; it's constantly something new that needs to be done. "Play him as a #10, play him as a CM, no, put him as the main striker this season, he'll score for fun, he just needs a few games, a few weeks, a few months....". He may be capable of 1 in 2, but he's not managed to achieve a world class run for ages now. This season was dismal for him, and we can't keep hoping he comes good again.

The fact that we're talking about selling our main striker and NONE of the big teams are being mentioned as a potential destination sums it up. If Aguero, or Costa, or Lewandowski, or Messi, or Neymar, if the top strikers were available, they'd be linked to big teams. Rooney...our best bet is hoping for some Chinese nutcases....

United don't function regardless of Rooney playing or not.

Blame him anyway.
    Yet we've been functioning better with an unheard of teenager in his place. Maybe I'm just crazy, but I expect more out of a club captain than I do out of youth team players, not less.

I guess I'm just sick of the excuses and talk of what he could potentially do; it's constantly something new that needs to be done. "Play him as a #10, play him as a CM, no, put him as the main striker this season, he'll score for fun, he just needs a few games, a few weeks, a few months....". He may be capable of 1 in 2, but he's not managed to achieve a world class run for ages now. This season was dismal for him, and we can't keep hoping he comes good again.

The fact that we're talking about selling our main striker and NONE of the big teams are being mentioned as a potential destination sums it up. If Aguero, or Costa, or Lewandowski, or Messi, or Neymar, if the top strikers were available, they'd be linked to big teams. Rooney...our best bet is hoping for some Chinese nutcases....

I think Rooney is rated for what people think he should have achieved rather than what he is. He is no longer a boy wonder, he is not going to reach a superstar level that people expected. But that is okay.

Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke were never as good as Ronaldo. It didn't matter.

Rooney is very good striker. No more, no less. In a team with quality players, with a system that gets the best from those players he plays to a high level. Like Cole and for a while Yorke.

Eventually he needs to be replaced but United have bigger problems than Wayne Rooney this summer. Stick one of the new young stars in this United team and he would also struggle without other positions improved.

Even if United bought a new striker I would want Rooney kept on. If a winger is bought then Memphis still needs to be kept on. United can't move on any of there attackers this summer.

People blamed rooney said he was the problem in the team well since he is out injured the team hasn't exactly shone.

If a new manager comes in id not want any of the players with some years left in them go.. Rooney and depay and the likes could get a new lease of life working under a manager like jose id like to give them a chance and add some quality to the squad.

Just to be clear. If United replaced Rooney and did the other things that need to be done then great.

I would just prefer other positions were improved upon before Rooney was moved on.

For example, if United signed Lewandowski, I would be happy but wanting lots more to be done in the same window. If United signed Laporte and Mahrez but kept Rooney I would be happy and wanting more in future transfer windows.

jayo26 wrote: »
    People blamed rooney said he was the problem in the team well since he is out injured the team hasn't exactly shone.

If a new manager comes in id not want any of the players with some years left in them go.. Rooney and depay and the likes could get a new lease of life working under a manager like jose id like to give them a chance and add some quality to the squad.
    Finishing up work for the day in 15 minutes so just shooting this one out real quick from the Premiership.

Points per game with Rooney this season: 1.54
    Points per game without: 2

And that's been with teenagers in his place when he was out, including against the likes of City and Arsenal (e.g. we didn't play Villa 8 times. In fact, the one time we did play Villa Rooney was playing - we won only 1-0 thanks to a Januzaj goal... Rooney if I recall was dreadful that day).

The fact he got MOTM vs Chelsea a while back in a terrible game where he was arguably the worst player on the entire pitch and wasted a great chance late on, says everything that needs to be said about just how overrated Rooney he is, and just how often he is given things for reasons other than merit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

If Rooney can be sold to China for more than he's worth, he should be.
    If Everton would take Rooney in a deal for Lukaku, he should be.

Issue will be if Rooney decides to sit on his big paycheck for the next year or two....

Rooney brings a lot of commercial revenue to the club. Woodward admitted at the last quarterly result conference call that Rooney is the player that all the sponsors want. Rooney should really move on but who is going to take him at his current salary?

glued wrote: »
    Rooney brings a lot of commercial revenue to the club. Woodward admitted at the last quarterly result conference call that Rooney is the player that all the sponsors want. Rooney should really move on but who is going to take him at his current salary?

Plenty of big names who could fill that roll, if Jose and the club aim high....

Plenty of big names who could fill that roll, if Jose and the club aim high....

There aren't many bigger stars commercially than Rooney in club football. After Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar I'd say he's the top earner outside of that bracket despite no longer being the player he was.

Rooney will be here as long as we're in this mess.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

Moyes thought Rooney was Peter Crouch

:confused::confused:

Pretty much the only time in the last 4/5 years when he actually looked like a genuine great player again.

glued wrote: »
    There aren't many bigger stars commercially than Rooney in club football. After Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar I'd say he's the top earner outside of that bracket despite no longer being the player he was.

Rooney will be here as long as we're in this mess.

Would argue he is our biggest commercial name cause he is positioned as such; that it's the club which is the commercial brand, and we choose to put him as the face. If we went and picked up another big name, or even chose someone a tier down and pushed them as the new face of the club, they would quickly replace Rooney in those sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Billy86 wrote: »
    Yet we've been functioning better with an unheard of teenager in his place. Maybe I'm just crazy, but I expect more out of a club captain than I do out of youth team players, not less.

First leg against Liverpool was possibly the worst United performance I've ever seen. 2nd leg wasn't much better. Dire performances against Watford and West Brom too with Rashford in the side. We didn't look very functional when scraping a 1-1 draw at home to West Ham in the cup either.

Would argue he is our biggest commercial name cause he is positioned as such; that it's the club which is the commercial brand, and we choose to put him as the face. If we went and picked up another big name, or even chose someone a tier down and pushed them as the new face of the club, they would quickly replace Rooney in those sales.

I agree that another player would just as quickly replace Rooney in reality but businesses don't like change and Woodward hinted that Rooney was extremely important for the commercial success of Man United. Despite his performances he's constantly billed as the biggest attraction at United. He represents United in a bigger way than any other player at the club. A lot of North Americans and Asians will only recognise Rooney and no other player can really compete with him for that mantle at the minute. Having Martial or De Gea on a poster or advertisement probably doesn't appeal to them but Rooney does.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

We're buying a new CB in the summer and Blind and Jones can cover CB.

Banking on Jones to be fit enough to play is utterly stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

You are making things up and then using them as the foundation of your argument for getting rid of Rooney.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Rooney is top of the food chain when it comes to marketable English footballers.

Kane has the tools to take his spot, Vardy, while having a whooper season, is too old to become a poster boy.

Delle Ali looks like he is going to be a major player however traditionally midfielders do not become icons, no matter how good they are, eg Lampard, Scholes etc.

If we could somehow prise Kane away from Spurs then I wouldn't be too unhappy to see Rooney leave but that's highly unlikely.

Also, who would pay Rooney the massive salary he would command?

The big two in Spain wouldn't touch him, Munich don't pay wages of that level, Italian teams don't either.

That leaves domestic rivals such as City or Chelsea. I'd be wary of selling him to one of them and would be hopeful of seeing a resurgance under a different manager. LVG made him bullet proof from the get go so maybe a different manager wouldn't pander to him and get the best out of him.

The wild card is of course China, they obviously have the spending power to buy him and give him a blank cheque wrt wages so that's an option. He would be the biggest star in that league by some stretch and would make a fortune in sponsorship deals. He does however have a young family so its hard to see him wanting to uproot them.

Unless we are getting a viable, genuine replacement there is little sense in selling him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote: »
    This place gonna go into melt down if jose isn't united manager come July May the 1st lol.

FYP otherwise we've to pay him a lot of ££££££ according to the rags...

Jesus two pages of posts about getting rod of Rooney and I miss it ....
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Sure where's he going to fit into the Zlatan Mourinho team...

Zlatan will be our new poster boy

Rooney can go for the #takeaway ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

People clamouring for players to be sold clearly have short memories.

None of the first team squad should be going anywhere until a replacement is signed.

beno619 wrote: »
    People clamouring for players to be sold clearly have short memories.

None of the first team squad should be going anywhere until a replacement is signed.

I think that's a fair point beno, I think that whilst several of the current squad are not at the elite level that will get you into a title winning position and also challenging at the top end of Europe, selling them off before having better replacements in place is lunacy...

You only have to look at how thin the squad was for the two midgetland games were. We'd Donald Love and Joe Riley involved and no disrespect to either lad and a few others but they're not ready for that stage yet.

If this summer we could sort out the defence and midfield I think we've enough forward talent which could prosper under a different manager.

If there's one thing Mourinho will do for certain its that he'll settle on his system 4-2-3-1 and get players playing one role only. He always proclaimed he wants a small squad of 22 champions (which will have to change for our youth system) so players will know where they stand. There will be no more Young at lb/rb/rm/lm or Jones at RB/CB/CM etc...

There will be no more multi formations within a game and personnel having no idea where they're supposed to be..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Rooney is top of the food chain when it comes to marketable English footballers.
    Which is utterly amazing given his average PL return of 14 goals per season from 2012/13 to 2014/2015 inclusive, a fairly modest benchmark he's likely to fall well short of this season.
    Also, who would pay Rooney the massive salary he would command?
    Exactly how would he command salary if no one would pay it? Even with the mental money the Chinese are splashing around it's hard to see them match what he's currently on. You can only "command" a salary if someone is willing to pay it to you. I guess you meant "the massive salary he would demand"?
    That leaves domestic rivals such as City or Chelsea. I'd be wary of selling him to one of them
    Not in a month of Sundays would any other top team touch Rooney, his best days are well past him. Can you imagine the delight of City or Chelsea fans waking up to read that they'd signed a (soon to be 31 year old) striker who averaged less than 14 league goals a season whilst playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world surrounded by players costing hundreds of millions? I'd say they'd be thrilled at the thought :o

The reality is that unless the Chinese make him an offer he can't refuse he's going to hang around picking up his £300k a week (http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/26287482) until the end of the 2018/2019 season.

That's a comforting thought :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It is such a shame that one of our record goalscorers is going to be sticking around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Not in a month of Sundays would any other top team touch Rooney, his best days are well past him. Can you imagine the delight of City or Chelsea fans waking up to read that they'd signed a (soon to be 31 year old) striker who averaged less than 14 league goals a season whilst playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world surrounded by players costing hundreds of millions? I'd say they'd be thrilled at the thought :o

The reality is that unless the Chinese make him an offer he can't refuse he's going to hang around picking up his £300k a week (http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/26287482) until the end of the 2018/2019 season.

It's over 6 months until he is 31. That's bizarre that you would bring that up.

Also, he is picking up 300k a week because of how much money he makes the club. They are mutually exclusive.

Before his injury he was scoring. Who has been scoring the goals that Rooney hasn't in his absence? It would make sense if someone was lighting it up but nobody else is scoring consistently which indicates team dysfunction over player dysfunction.

It is such a shame that one of our record goalscorers is going to be sticking around.

Here we go..
    one of our record goal scorers blah blah..

If he was as good as he think he is that record should've been toppled two/ three years ago

Ruud and Ronaldo were far better in front of goal than Rooney has and ever will be.

Lets be honest about it
    Rooney had all the talent in the world but never bothered his rear end trying. If he'd have put in the work Ronaldo has he'd have multiple Ballon D'ors in his locker rooms and would be mentioned in the same breath as the greatest players of all time.

The simple thing is, he didn't work at his craft and this has coloured a lot of people opinion of him.

No place for sentimentality when it comes to performance. It's what he's doing now and will do in the future that counts. If people are entitled to be in the squad purely because of what they did in the past why not resign Cole and Yorke?

brinty wrote: »
    Here we go..
    one of our record goal scorers blah blah..

If he was as good as he think he is that record should've been toppled two/ three years ago

Ruud and Ronaldo were far better in front of goal than Rooney has and ever will be.

Lets be honest about it
    Rooney had all the talent in the world but never bothered his rear end trying. If he'd have put in the work Ronaldo has he'd have multiple Ballon D'ors in his locker rooms and would be mentioned in the same breath as the greatest players of all time.

The simple thing is, he didn't work at his craft and this has coloured a lot of people opinion of him.
    None of that is in any way related to my point.

Liam O wrote: »
    It's over 6 months until he is 31. That's bizarre that you would bring that up.
    The next opportunity to sell him is the summer window and he's 31 a few weeks after the 2016/2017 season starts. Not irrelevant at all.
    Liam O wrote: »
    Before his injury he was scoring. Who has been scoring the goals that Rooney hasn't in his absence? It would make sense if someone was lighting it up but nobody else is scoring consistently which indicates team dysfunction over player dysfunction.

Averaging less than 14 goals a season for 4 seasons on the trot isn't a blip. The fact no one else is scoring doesn't make Rooney's poor performance any better. If you've a cr@p selection of strikers how can you expect them to score a hatful of goals?

No place for sentimentality when it comes to performance. It's what he's doing now and will do in the future that counts. If people are entitled to be in the squad purely because of what they did in the past why not resign Cole and Yorke?

Its got nothing to do with sentimentality. You implied that it was a bad thing that a Wayne Rooney was going to be sticking around, I don't see how that is.

Now I agree that he appears to be past his best, but if we want the strongest squad we can get how is it a bad thing to keep a proven quality goalscorer? I wouldn't buy him for big money but we don't have to, he is already there, just keep him and use him properly. I'd far rather have Rooney in the squad fighting for a place than have to dip into the reserves for another striker next season.

You talk about his wages as if we weren't still one of the richest clubs in the world. I'm one of the conservative ones when it comes to wasting money, but in terms of wages we have basically went through an austerity period and cut a lot of high earners from the squad, we can afford to hold onto this one.

Buy a new striker. And also keep a proven, record breaking 30 year old who could easily be rejuvenated under a new manager. Squad depth like that is indeed a comforting thought.

None of that is in any way related to my point.

Your point was "It is such a shame that one of our record goalscorers is going to be sticking around."

Ask any Loverpool fan whether it turned out to be a good idea that Stevie G hung around for the 2013/14 and 2014/15 seasons and the vast majority will tell you that whilst they respected his record and all he had done for the club having him around for those two years prevented the type of clearout and reshaping Liverpool desperately needed (and are now getting under Klopp) as all kinds of accommodations and formations were tried in order to find a spot for Gerard in the team. Like Rooney, when fit Gerard was club captain and deemed "undroppable" despite the fact he no longer had the legs to play the type of pressing game Rogers was trying to implement.

If Rooney see's out his contract there is a serious risk the club could stagnate whilst he is accommodated in the team.

England are about to make the same mistake in the Euro's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

So Jose is off to Valencia?

That will get the tongues wagging - another year of Van Boring awaits.

Yay

• Advertisement

Coat22 wrote: »

Yay

Well if The Sun says it's true....

Ask any Loverpool fan whether it turned out to be a good idea that Stevie G hung around for the 2013/14 and 2014/15 seasons and the vast majority will tell you that whilst they respected his record and all he had done for the club having him around for those two years prevented the type of clearout and reshaping Liverpool desperately needed (and are now getting under Klopp) as all kinds of accommodations and formations were tried in order to find a spot for Gerard in the team. Like Rooney, when fit Gerard was club captain and deemed "undroppable" despite the fact he no longer had the legs to play the type of pressing game Rogers was trying to implement.

If Rooney see's out his contract there is a serious risk the club could stagnate whilst he is accommodated in the team.

There was nothing wrong at all with Gerrard sticking around just as there was no real problem with Giggs or Scholes sticking around for us, the problem they made was a management problem in trying to accommodate him. If they had kept him as a backup player and used him appropriately there would have been no issue at all.

Which is exactly what I said about Rooney. Its a given that the management need to use him appropriately, same as any player, but assuming that obvious point how on earth is it a bad thing to have an option like that available?

Its got nothing to do with sentimentality. You implied that it was a bad thing that a Wayne Rooney was going to be sticking around, I don't see how that is.
    See my previous post ref Stevie G at Liverpool.
    Now I agree that he appears to be past his best, but if we want the strongest squad we can get how is it a bad thing to keep a proven quality goalscorer?
    Aged 65 Rooney will still be a "proven goalscorer", it doesn't however follow that he can still score goals. If his average return aged 26 to 30 is less than 14 goals a season do you really think he's going to deliver anything in his 30's, even off the bench assuming that is he'd accept a role on the bench without causing a stink and being a disruptive influence in the dressing room? If you follow you're logic that his future is as an impact sub (any maybe he could do a 30 minute type job) does he retain the captains arm band given he's starting on the bench most of the time? Dropping him to a squad player and taking the captaincy off him should be a recipe for harmony in the camp I'd say!!
    You talk about his wages as if we weren't still one of the richest clubs in the world. I'm one of the conservative ones when it comes to wasting money, but in terms of wages we have basically went through an austerity period and cut a lot of high earners from the squad, we can afford to hold onto this one.
    I couldn't care less about his wages. If his shirt sales, commercial deals and contribution on the pitch justify £300k a week so be it, fair play to him.
    Buy a new striker. And also keep a proven, record breaking 30 year old who could easily be rejuvenated under a new manager. Squad depth like that is indeed a comforting thought.
    When was the last time Rooney actually broke any sort of scoring record? He hasn't broken 15 goals a season for 4 seasons FFS!!!

Mourinho and Pellegrini linked with the Valencia managers position,this morning.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/mourinho-pellegrini-man-city-valencia-11116998

Aged 65 Rooney will still be a "proven goalscorer", it doesn't however follow that he can still score goals. If his average return aged 26 to 30 is less than 14 goals a season do you really think he's going to deliver anything in his 30's, even off the bench assuming that is he'd accept a role on the bench without causing a stink and being a disruptive influence in the dressing room?

You are completely ignoring the circumstances of the past 3 years of course, but even with that answer me one thing, who are you replacing Rooney with?
    I couldn't care less about his wages.
    You are the one that brought them up.
    When was the last time Rooney actually broke any sort of scoring record? He hasn't broken 15 goals a season for 4 seasons FFS!!!
    Records are funny things, they don't actually get broken all that often. But since you ask, here is one from January.

Or did you mean some other specific record?

how on earth is it a bad thing to have an option like that available?
    Because:-

a) there's a big question mark over whether Rooney would accept being a squad player rather than nailed on starter.

b) there's a big question mark over whether Rooney would accept he can't be captain if he's relegated to a squad/impact sub type player

and (most importantly of all)

c) he's no longer an effective goalscorer. The "proven" goal scorer you affectionately remember Rooney as left the building a long time ago. Haven't you seen his record over the last 4 years?

less.........than.........14..........goals.......a......season!!!

You are completely ignoring the circumstances of the past 3 years of course, but even with that answer me one thing, who are you replacing Rooney with?

Take your pick - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2616697-golden-shoe-2015-16-latest-standings-top-goalscorers-in-europe-on-february-15
    Records are funny things, they don't actually get broken all that often. But since you ask,[URL]="http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2016/Jan/wayne-rooney-scored-more-winners-than-any-post-war-manchester-united-player.aspx?AL"] here is one from January[/URL].

Or did you mean some other specific record?

Wow, he scores a rare goal which added to the goals he scored over an 11 season career when more games than ever are being played makes him a record goalscorer of some sort. Brilliant. Give him a new contract, he keeps getting better and better :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Coat22 wrote: »

Yay

4835f5cfdc4709cbd181840ec9e16f16.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

He's the marketable English player because in terms of all round play he's arguably been head and shoulders above everyone for the last 10 years (English Wise) he's had a bad 18 months, but who the **** hasn't under this manager. Put Rooney into any other team who doesn't take 25 years to get from their 18 yard box to the opponents and he'd do a hell of a lot better. The service to him has been absolutely atrocious.

I think he's played 700 senior games scoring 300 times and assisting 150 times, that's a ridiculously good stat and I'd say you'd be hard found to find better in the league.

He's proven TWICE in his united career that when he has to lead the line with a quality team he has delivered twice scoring 30+ goals, 26 in 2009/10 27 in 2010/11 in the league. He's not the player he once was. I'd still rather a 31 year old Rooney in 6 months than a 35 year old Zlatan.

I say give him a chance under a new manager, if he fails to deliver, he's had his chance and we should look to better the team.

With that said, if you were going to replace him with Lukaku or Kane, I don't think I'd bat an eyelid.

• Advertisement

So you want your back up striker to be one from Suarez, Ronaldo, Lewandowski, Benzema et al? Forgetting even the money that would cost and the fact we couldn't get them just tell me this, who would be happier to play a squad role at United, the incumbent Wayne Rooney or the incoming superstar you want to buy?
    Wow, he scores a rare goal which added to the goals he scored over an 11 season career when more games than ever are being played makes him a record goalscorer of some sort. Brilliant. Give him a new contract, he keeps getting better and better :rolleyes:
    Wow, you asked a question and got a factual answer, imagine that. No surprise you didn't like it though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement