Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

jayo26 wrote: »
    Thats what some would like to believe but It is not true.. United are a stock listed company and fergie has as much Input as Bobby Charlton and David Gill they are simply club ambassadors and at most an advisor but they don't have power and fergies last act of power was probably helping appoint moyes.

/pure speculation on my part

I'm not saying its true or not but just because Fergie does not have any real "power", is it that big a leap to think that he couldn't be massively influential? He oversaw the record breaking, glory age of United, a generation of a football club whose achievements will never be matched in English football, possibly in world football. His efforts brought untold riches to stockholders, some of whom I've no doubt he has friendships with. Is it really not feasible that they would not ask for his advice or that he wouldn't give them his opinion? Is it also not feasible that they would be / could be swayed by the very man who presided over the unparalleled success the club had for a quarter of a century?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I'm not saying its true or not but just because Fergie does not have any real "power", is it that big a leap to think that he couldn't be massively influential? He oversaw the record breaking, glory age of United, a generation of a football club whose achievements will never be matched in English football, possibly in world football. His efforts brought untold riches to stockholders, some of whom I've no doubt he has friendships with. Is it really not feasible that they would not ask for his advice or that he wouldn't give them his opinion? Is it also not feasible that they would be / could be swayed by the very man who presided over the unparalleled success the club had for a quarter of a century?

Yeh he may have an influence and people may seek his advice but I don't think it's to the extreme that he can't give up power and so on.

It would be mad for the club to not pick his brain about things but the notion that fergie is trying to control things at the club I don't follow that line of thinking.

And of course it is pure speculation by all of us none of us know what goes on inside the club we only speculate on what the media speculate on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Lol, Fergie answering a question in an interview = trying to exert control & pushing an agenda.

I'll file that one with the ridiculous claims that Fergie shouldn't watch matches at old Trafford because he puts the manager under pressure.

Nonsense.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

beno619 wrote: »
    Lol, Fergie answering a question in an interview = trying to exert control & pushing an agenda.

I'll file that one with the ridiculous claims that Fergie shouldn't watch matches at old Trafford because he puts the manager under pressure.

Nonsense.

I think you're being incredible naive if you think there's not some reason Fergie has given an interview, when he's someone who rarely comes out or sits down for such interviews. He gave it knowing the headline would be "Fergie says to give LVG more time.", so had to have had a reason for giving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Is Luke Shaw back in training?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I think you're being incredible naive if you think there's not some reason Fergie has given an interview, when he's someone who rarely comes out or sits down for such interviews. He gave it knowing the headline would be "Fergie says to give LVG more time.", so had to have had a reason for giving it.

I think your extremely prone to jumping on class of 92/Fergie conspiracy theories.

I have no reason to believe Fergie doesn't have the club's best interests at heart or just has a ****e opinion on the subject.

I'd much sooner give him the benefit than throw him under the bus.

Didn't see the actual full Interview but did he actually come out and say it or was he talking in general?

I think your extremely prone to jumping on class of 92/Fergie conspiracy theories.

I have no reason to believe Fergie doesn't have the club's best interests at heart or just has a ****e opinion on the subject.

I agree with you on this one but not as a dig at TSC but alot of fans in general have been trying to link the old gang to ruining the club or making terrible decision or saying stuff to push an agenda I would give them the benif of doubt too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I read the article and thought nothing of it. Its stock answers, actually telling them nothing that is going on at the club or their future intentions.

Makes a nice headline I suppose but there is little or nothing of substance in what he said and I'm sure he knows that too.

Surprised by the furore over it to be honest.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    I read the article and thought nothing of it. Its stock answers, actually telling them nothing that is going on at the club or their future intentions.

Makes a nice headline I suppose but there is little if nothing of substance in what he said and I'm sure he knows that too.

Surprised by the furore over it to be honest.

Also he is hardly going to say he wants lvg gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

The way I see it is that while LVG is still at the club, he is going to come out and toe the company line. He is hardly going to criticise LVG and the club. Especially when there is still a chance of getting top 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I hope there is a total break with the class of '92 when LVG leaves. Don't get why a section of fans seem to obsess about them by wanting them to manage/coach the team.
    Giggs has only 4 games experience of managing a team, hardly qualified to take over the most popular soccer team on the planet.

I am not really gone on the type of football Jose likes, but if we are winning and not boring the fans to death, then I don't mind, it can't be worse than LVG's philosophy which I don't believe he was able to fully implement.

We need to put the past three seasons behind us and get back to success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Woodward, Mendes and Mourinho spotted in a hotel in Dubai...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/Mourin...-for-Van-Gaal.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I see Pellegrini spent his Easter break in Kilkenny to visit a friend after his defeat to United, and said he would be interested in a holiday home in Kilkenny.
    I wish Jose had the personality of Pellegrini, calm and non controversial. Hope Jose can keep it together at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Advertisement

• Rooney to China nearly done deal

https://youtu.be/AvraNC3nIAA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

RobertKK wrote: »
    I see Pellegrini spent his Easter break in Kilkenny to visit a friend after his defeat to United, and said he would be interested in a holiday home in Kilkenny.
    I wish Jose had the personality of Pellegrini, calm and non controversial. Hope Jose can keep it together at United.

I thought that meant Pellegrini was in talks to replace Brian Cody? Is that not how this works?

Seriously though, give me the trophies of Mourinho over the personality of Pellegrini any day, there is a reason he was eventually going to be replaced by City, whether Pep became available or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Rooney to China nearly done deal

https://youtu.be/AvraNC3nIAA

Did you check the date M!Ck^

*checks date*

*goes back to bed*

Still at least I came here before Reddit, where they sticked an announcement that Giggs would be the new manager...

• brinty wrote: »
    Did you check the date M!Ck^

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqE9patLqMTOUDOg0sZEWefq7gCR79I5cUsoNwoYug5JA5ArwS

• Advertisement

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    *checks date*

*goes back to bed*

Still at least I came here before Reddit, where they sticked an announcement that Giggs would be the new manager...

So you saying I got Lord TSC then? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

god I was so excited to see Rooney gone and then I see todays date ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I see Laporte broke his ankle last week. Out for 4 months

Just on this (didn't get a proper chance to reply till now).

I completely accept your valuation that I probably do buy into some of the "conspiracy theories", as you put it. And I'd stress, I would never doubt that Fergie has, what he thinks is, the best interests of the club at heart.

But, again I say, I think that anyone who doesn't think there's backroom politics in play during times like these are very naive.

Fergie isn't a media whore. He's tended not to give too many interviews since he left, and he's media savvy to know that giving one right now, at the height of the tensions, was going to lead to headlines that read as a very public backing to LVG and the regime currently there. He was known as the master of mindgames, so I don't see why anyone wouldn't assume the default position for a Fergie interview was that there was a motive behind giving one.

I think there's been two big campaigns being run since Jose left Chelsea; one led by Jose's camp (mainly Mendes) and one led by Fergie's camp (mainly pushing Giggs as the long time successor). I think that there was a stage for a three month window where everytime we won a game, pro-Jose stories were released within 48 hours. Obviously Mendes' camp pushing the idea Jose was available, eager and waiting for the job. And I think over the last few weeks, there's been a shift as the Class of 92 side of things have gotten more and more vocal about the long term future of the club.

Not just in terms of a Fergie interview, or some of their old running mates stressing Giggs is the man for the job, or the 180 Rio and Scholes did round Xmas, some claiming it's what the fans want. Things like the Giggs interview last week where he was stressing the importance of the club's youth culture. When people not prone to interviews suddenly start giving interviews, you've got to ask why.

Again I stress, thats not saying the Class of 92 don't think they know whats best. I'd never suggest they are trying to run things into the ground. They obviously think the best thing for the club is for them to retain as much power as possible. Something Jose will not want nor need when he takes the job.

Its not a "conspiracy theory"; it's very obvious that there's two competing campaigns being waged right now.

anyone else think that Giggs is being lined up as the manager after Mourinho?

Man city have Patrick Vieria lined up as the next city manager after Guardiola and I reckon Giggs is being lined up as our next manager after Mourinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Fergie's ghostwriter (Hayword) running a United/Poch story this morning.

bangkok wrote: »
    anyone else think that Giggs is being lined up as the manager after Mourinho?

Man city have Patrick Vieria lined up as the next city manager after Guardiola and I reckon Giggs is being lined up as our next manager after Mourinho

No.

Giggs was, imo, being lined up as the manager after LVG. If that doesn't come to pass, Giggs will move on to another club imo. He may come back, should he prove himself, but I don't think there is a plan in place for him to take over after Jose. Unlike with LVG, I don't think the club would plan on Jose being a short term appointment.

No.

Giggs was, imo, being lined up as the manager after LVG. If that doesn't come to pass, Giggs will move on to another club imo. He may come back, should he prove himself, but I don't think there is a plan in place for him to take over after Jose. Unlike with LVG, I don't think the club would plan on Jose being a short term appointment.

Mourinho would not last longer than 3 years at United and history proves that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

But, again I say, I think that anyone who doesn't think there's backroom politics in play during times like these are very naive.

The idea of Fergie quietly sitting back and letting events run their course without any attempt to influence them is laughable.

I'm not saying he's planning a coup to oust Woodward but he's definitely going to use all available resources, including the media, to influence decisions and have his allies installed in key positions.

Giggs is his great hope for retaining a strong influence at the club and he'll do everything he can to see him be next Utd manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Not picking on you but everybody gets hung up on this 3 year thing,Pep doesn't exactly hang around at a single club long term either.
    Jose left Chelsea went to the Madrid circus where anybody lasting 2 seasons is a minor miracle,some of the best in the business barely got a season there.

I wouldn't use Jose's last term at Chelsea as a stick to beat him with either,certain senior players wield too much power at that club (take a bow JT) and it's a strange coincidence that things started to go pear shaped when some were left out of the team especially the ones who have a habit of running straight to Roman when things aren't going their way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

That's balls in fairness. If he wants to stay in the UK for his family he would stick around as long as he's wanted!

Boll0x, to be honest.

LVG was a planned short term appointment. Mourinho would not be. It could turn out short-term, as history suggests, but it wouldn't be planned that way.

He left Porto for Chelsea, a no-brainer move. A step up and had done all he could with Porto.

He left Chelsea under a cloud after the owner started butting in - he probably would have stayed longer had the circumstances been different, imo.

He left Inter after winning the CL and being offered the biggest job in football.

He left Real Madrid because, imo, Real Madrid is a poorly ran club where politics matter too much and they change their manager every few years. They were crazy to get rid of Ancelotti too, and VDB when they binned him.

Different to someone like Pep, for example, who left Barcelona after three years (of winning everything, to be fair) cause he wanted to leave them - and is leaving Bayern after the same period simply because he wants to leave - and he has stated openly he feels three years is a good time for a coach to move on. Mourinho spoke openly about wanting to stay at Chelsea long term and build a legacy.

I think he would want to do so at United, to put his name up there with fergie as a legendary coach of the club - I could easily see him planning to stay for a decade. It might only last three years, or two, but it wouldn't be planned that way and I certainly don't think there would be a plan at the club that he would be gone in 2 or 3 years and then giggs would take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

So what?

Times have changed. You want longevity? Give Pardew a bell.

Boll0x, to be honest.

LVG was a planned short term appointment. Mourinho would not be. It could turn out short-term, as history suggests, but it wouldn't be planned that way.

He left Porto for Chelsea, a no-brainer move. A step up and had done all he could with Porto.

He left Chelsea under a cloud after the owner started butting in - he probably would have stayed longer had the circumstances been different, imo.

He left Inter after winning the CL and being offered the biggest job in football.

He left Real Madrid because, imo, Real Madrid is a poorly ran club where politics matter too much and they change their manager every few years. They were crazy to get rid of Ancelotti too, and VDB when they binned him.

Different to someone like Pep, for example, who left Barcelona after three years (of winning everything, to be fair) cause he wanted to leave them - and is leaving Bayern after the same period simply because he wants to leave - and he has stated openly he feels three years is a good time for a coach to move on. Mourinho spoke openly about wanting to stay at Chelsea long term and build a legacy.

I think he would want to do so at United, to put his name up there with fergie as a legendary coach of the club - I could easily see him planning to stay for a decade. It might only last three years, or two, but it wouldn't be planned that way and I certainly don't think there would be a plan at the club that he would be gone in 2 or 3 years and then giggs would take over.

sacking the club doctor who was highly respected at the club and got on well with all the players and openly criticising his players was hardly going to help him build a long term legacy.

United are a broken club at the moment, we have hired 2 managers and it hasnt worked out. Mourinho is the short term solution to compete with Pep at City as he will be there for 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I'd say with Mourinho's short-term-stintedness, Utd may be considering Pochertino but realistically, if he has any say, is Fergie going to pass up in an available Mourinho? He has a boner for the man.

I'd say with Mourinho's short-term-stintedness, Utd may be considering Pochertino but realistically, if he has any say, is Fergie going to pass up in an available Mourinho? He has a boner for the man.

Poch, who would be going to his third club in three years? That's our long term option? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Mourinho's management style means he can't do more than 3 seasons.

It's been proven time and time again that it all falls apart when he reaches season 3 of his tenure

greendom wrote: »
    Mourinho's management style means he can't do more than 3 seasons.

It's been proven time and time again that it all falls apart when he reaches season 3 of his tenure

As Mitch said, it's fallen apart at clubs where even the best managers get tanked out way to quick.
    Ironically, Jose might love knowing United has a history of "sticking by" its managers in bad times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

sacking the club doctor who was highly respected at the club and got on well with all the players and openly criticising his players was hardly going to help him build a long term legacy.

Is that as bad as getting into a legal dispute with the club's owners over a horse?

..eventually leading to the club being bought by some American strip mall operators and plunged into an eye watering amount of debt in the most shameful episode of the club's history. Football fans have short memories when you win trophies.

Mourinho is as close to Fergie as you can get, that's why so many fans still hate him. Their behaviour is only a problem for their own fans when the team doesn't win.

• Advertisement

• Headshot wrote: »
    god I was so excited to see Rooney gone and then I see todays date ffs

headshot was got so, lovely stuff :pac:

M!Ck^ wrote: »

The click bate sites are having a field day today. They can write utter ****e and no-one cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

No to Mourinho because he only stays 3 years but yes to Poch who if he leaves Spurs this summer will only have averaged a year and a half at his last 3 clubs :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

fellaini is also my favourite United player of all time

Does he send you pictures of his "tackle"....

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    Does he send you pictures of his "tackle"....

na and fellaini was actually only the wing man.... Tony V was the guy doing the damage :eek:

Luckhurst, via MEN, talking about the Fergie interview and he campaign I was talking bout earlier...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-ferguson-van-gaal-11122850

Luckhurst, via MEN, talking about the Fergie interview and he campaign I was talking bout earlier...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-ferguson-van-gaal-11122850

LOL at the headline!!!!

"Manchester United fans might have turned against Sir Alex Ferguson over Mourinho"

LOL at the headline!!!!

"Manchester United fans might have turned against Sir Alex Ferguson over Mourinho"

Absolute bullsh1t papers, even what fergie said it was hardley a backing it was a universal monotone answer that you would expect him to say.

LOL at the headline!!!!

Absolute bullsh1t papers, even what fergie said it was hardly a backing it was a universal monotone answer that you would expect him to say.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement