Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

Been away lads what did I miss?

Bangkok has converted to the fellaini side, I see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Been away lads what did I miss?

Bangkok has converted to the fellaini side, I see

Danny welbeck is still world class???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »
    na and fellaini was actually only the wing man.... Tony V was the guy doing the damage :eek:

That's a big allegation to make about a married man with absolutely no evidence on show to back it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

astradave wrote: »
    That's a big allegation to make about a married man with absolutely no evidence on show to back it up

It was proven that Tony saw the opening,turned back and allowed somebody else go ahead while he stood looking baffled.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

astradave wrote: »

Yep it's 100% true. Fellaini was the fall guy.... Again. His marriage hasn't been going well last few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

United are on 999 Home Premier League goals,I wonder who will be the one to bag the 1000th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

zerks wrote: »
    United are on 999 Home Premier League goals,I wonder who will be the one to bag the 1000th?

Please be Fellaini. Please be Fellaini.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

David De Gea bicycle kick from his own box.

Ibrahimovic next August then he runs down touchline to celebrate with jose followed by neymar and Kroos its united first premierleague goal since March after lvg guiding united to a run of 0-0 draws to close out the season.

Who scored the first home Premier league goal for United?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

zorro2566 wrote: »

Please be Fellaini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It was a certain Corkonian. Not that one, the other one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Dennis Irwin against Ipswich

• zorro2566 wrote: »
    wiz569 wrote: »
    Fellaini

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I didn't say he'd be unwilling to play in the #10 role did I? Why do you make stuff up to justify your POV? I said "he doesn't want to play there", not the same thing at all. Despite the fact he doesn't want to play there he will if asked.

“I’ve had no problem in the past playing out of position. But I felt I deserved the right to play in my position and that wasn’t happening. I think, naturally, I was a bit disappointed and maybe that affected some of the games I played. I know myself that last year wasn’t my best season but there were times when I was playing in different positions. I didn’t feel I got a consistent run of games up front. Sometimes when you’re not playing in one position all the time it’s difficult to adapt.” Taken from http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/09/wayne-rooney-reasons-leave-manchester-united

What Rooney is talking about is being asked to play in midfield proper, not number 10, ie central midfield and on the wing. They're talking about Fergie's last season, in which he played Rooney on the wing against Real and stuck Rooney in central-midfield when he came back from an injury near the end of the season. They even reference the Madrid game specifically.

And in that article, talking about playing under Moyes as the manager at the time of writing, Rooney says "I am happy and I am enjoying my football." Moyes played Rooney at number 10.

He has never given any indication that he is unhappy to play just off a CF.
    I think I've made my general point ref Rooney but in case I didn't articulate it well enough have a look at http://the18.com/news/three-graphs-perfectly-sum-wayne-rooney-manchester-united-decline. If anything six months on from their analysis it's even more spot on.

So now that your criticism of his goal return has been proven to be ill-informed you want to bring up a different criticism. Okay, let's deal with that.

First graph: it shows a decline in Rooney's goals plus assists. What it does not do is give any context for how good those goals plus assists rates are. He scored/assisted at a rate of close to 1 goal per 90mins for the five seasons from 09/10 to 13/14, inclusive. Checking on Squawka Comparison Matrix for the 12/13 season (the earliest season they have available corresponding to the sample used in the chart), he had 0.95 non-penalty goals/assists per 90 minutes (removing penalties is the better way to do it). How does that compare to the attacking stars in the PL this season?

EPL Non-penalty goals + Assist per 90 mins 15/16:
    Kane 0.56
    Vardy 0.70
    Giroud 0.70
    Lukaku 0.83
    Aguero 0.86
    Mahrez 0.84
    Ozil 0.86
    De Bruyne 0.81
    Deli Alli 0.68
    David Silva 0.65
    Payet 0.74

Basically, for the four seasons in that chart where Rooney was at his best (09/10, 11/12, 12/13 & 13/14), his record beats anything any of the top attacking players in the PL have been able to manage this season. In fact, the rate Rooney had pisses over most of their records, and the players this season who have come closest to that rate (Ozil and Aguero) are still 0.09 off it.

So while his rate has declined, you need to consider where it has declined from. Namely, an extremely high position.

And where has it declined to? How does Rooney's current goals plus assists rate actually hold up when compared to other PL players?

The chart you linked to is out of date (it's from early October) regarding his current rate. Using Squawka again, Rooney's current g+a/90 excluding penalties is: 0.47

So that puts him in the company of:
    Yaya Toure 0.45
    Eriksen 0.54
    Lamela 0.39
    Chadli 0.50
    Sterling 0.40
    Alexis Sanchez 0.52
    Martial 0.43

That is not bad company to be in at all, especially considering how badly managed the team has been (the same applies for Martial too obviously).

So in summary, Rooney's goals+assists rate having declined is not such an issue when you consider how ridiculously high it was before and how it is not actually that bad at the moment. Add in the mitigating factor of Van Gaal and things aren't nearly as bad as you are trying to pretend.

Second graph: Lol at using total shots as a metric for anything. And lol at lumping total shots in with key passes.

Third graph: Rooney has played a lot of football. This is not news to anybody and not a reason to get rid of him.

I dont know what you do on a daily basis pro f but if it's nothing to do with some serious sleuthing your talents are wasted :) nice response tho.

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

Pro. F wrote: »
    And in that article, talking about playing under Moyes as the manager at the time of writing, Rooney says "I am happy and I am enjoying my football." Moyes played Rooney at number 10.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8827059/wayne-rooney-angry-and-confused-at-manchester-united-treatment

Rooney didn't want to be second fiddle, aka he wanted to play upfront. Which he did because RVP was injured so much.

September 2013 - Rooney is far from happy and just says he's concentrating on his football.

What was he unhappy about if it wasn't his playing position?

• Advertisement

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8827059/wayne-rooney-angry-and-confused-at-manchester-united-treatment

Rooney didn't want to be second fiddle, aka he wanted to play upfront. Which he did because RVP was injured so much.

September 2013 - Rooney is far from happy and just says he's concentrating on his football.

What was he unhappy about if it wasn't his playing position?

Being quizzed by the reported on his falling out with the club/Fergie during the summer. I would have thought that was obvious.

Taking that video as evidence that Rooney is unhappy to play as a number 10 is an incredible reach.

Being quizzed by the reported on his falling out with the club/Fergie during the summer. I would have thought that was obvious.

Taking that video as evidence that Rooney is unhappy to play as a number 10 is an incredible reach.

It wasn't about fergie. Why would fergie make him unhappy when he left 3 months earlier.

It wasn't about fergie. Why would fergie make him unhappy when he left 3 months earlier.

What are you talking about?

What are you talking about?

He wasn't being quizzed about the fallout with Fergie. He was still in the period of not committing his future to the club and the possible transfer to Chelsea had not long passed.

Rooney felt he was in his peak and wasn't going to become a second option or rotation which were sparked from Moyes saying he would be backup to Robin in case he got injured. Rooneys favourite position is striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭Sand

He wasn't being quizzed about the fallout with Fergie. He was still in the period of not committing his future to the club and the possible transfer to Chelsea had not long passed.

Rooney felt he was in his peak and wasn't going to become a second option or rotation which were sparked from Moyes saying he would be backup to Robin in case he got injured. Rooneys favourite position is striker.

Pro F is right, that is a reach. Rooney was clearly unhappy with the interview straying into unsanctioned territory, challenging him on putting in a transfer request. Its clearly a bad PR move for him to admit to putting in a transfer request, both with the fans and maybe even with sponsors. Rooney very much benefits from the association with Manchester United, an interviewer challenging that association was definitely going to wind him up.

Sand wrote: »
    Pro F is right, that is a reach. Rooney was clearly unhappy with the interview straying into unsanctioned territory, challenging him on putting in a transfer request. Its clearly a bad PR move for him to admit to putting in a transfer request, both with the fans and maybe even with sponsors. Rooney very much benefits from the association with Manchester United, an interviewer challenging that association was definitely going to wind him up.

So Rooney had no intention and there was no possibility of going to Chelsea???

Go back to the skysports article in July where Rooney said he was angry and confused. Fergie was on at that stage??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Guillem Balague is openly saying that Kroos wants to leave Real Madrid. He says Real want to sell Ronaldo, James, Isco too. He says it as fact so id be inclined to believe there is some truth in it.

Do you think Man United (Possibly under Mourinho's management) would be interested in any of those players?

I personally would take Ronaldo in a heart beat. Doesn't matter what issues he brings. Kroos is excellent and we should go all out for him if he is indeed looking to move. James and Isco id steer clear off. Not sure the money spent on them would be wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

wiz569 wrote: »
    Dennis Irwin against Ipswich

Get the beers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

GSPfan wrote: »

I personally would take Ronaldo in a heart beat. Doesn't matter what issues he brings..

The only issues Ronaldo brings is a sh#t load of goals and assists. I don't see a problem with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Please let this be the start of LVG walking off into the sunset!!!

LVG I DONT KNOW IF I'll STAY

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/10226306/louis-van-gaal-i-cannot-predict-my-manchester-united-future

MrMac84 wrote: »

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/10226306/louis-van-gaal-i-cannot-predict-my-manchester-united-future

I didn't like his tone when he said it.. He said it with a smugness I get the feeling if he wins the cup and gets top four he feels his job is safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

MrMac84 wrote: »

Think he is clever enough to know if CL football is not achieved he is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

What is interesting is how Di Maria is blaming Van Gaal for his failure at United by moving him around and playing him out of position. I do think Di Maria has a point, not saying it explains everything.
    Louis van Gaal said: "He is one of the players who have no self-criticism. It is always the fault of the manager. Unfortunately it is always like that."

RobertKK wrote: »
    What is interesting is how Di Maria is blaming Van Gaal for his failure at United by moving him around and playing him out of position. I do think Di Maria has a point, not saying it explains everything.
    Louis van Gaal said: "He is one of the players who have no self-criticism. It is always the fault of the manager. Unfortunately it is always like that."

Di maria played the same positions with madrid as he did for us he played wide right and left and centre? Think lvg tried him as a striker alright but that didn't last long.

Since he left united its been all him Complaining about united but they are the ones that lost probably about 30 million on him between transfer fee and wages and probably sell on or pay off clauses but he is the one that sounds bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Boys on BT talking about Rooney once again

This week Savage thinks Rooney is a No 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Soooooo Rooney talk yeah. How about if we are going to get top 4? Headin to the match tomorrow, hoping for at least a goal :/

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Soooooo Rooney talk yeah. How about if we are going to get top 4? Headin to the match tomorrow, hoping for at least a goal :/

This place is ridiculous. If you don't like talking...you know...about players related to Utd then why are you here?

How many comments has there been about not talking about Fellaini, Welbeck, Rooney???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

City destroying Bournemouth. Arsenal cruising against Watford. Payet with a another amazing free-kick for West Ham.

Pressure on Utd to win tomorrow now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

TheTownie wrote: »
    City destroying Bournemouth. Arsenal cruising against Watford. Payet with a another amazing free-kick for West Ham.

Pressure on Utd to win tomorrow now.

De Bruyne back for City is a big big blow. They have looked slightly toothless the past few weeks, he will reignite the spark in their attack I believe.

I just hope the 1000th goal tomorrow isn't for nothing and we win the game to keep the pressure up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Palace equalizing and west ham a man down. Thank duck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

This place is ridiculous.

No one is making you post here.

• Advertisement

I have a gun to his head

Lol rafa

Fellaini has pics of his missus too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote:
    everyone has pics of his missus too.
    Fyp jayo oul pal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Only West Ham dropping points then it seems.
    Doesn't change anything about tomorrow. 3 points is needed

brinty wrote: »
    Fyp jayo oul pal

Be lost without ya ha

So conflicted. Want Leicester to win the league but can't bring myself to want Liverpool to get a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Jayop wrote: »
    So conflicted. Want Leicester to win the league but can't bring myself to want Liverpool to get a result.

Don't care if either Spurs or Leicester win it, gun to the head I'd say Leicester but would be happy enough with Spuds too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Cope saying Ibra will turn down 75m a year from China to join United. That's crazy money if true...

• Advertisement

Apart from being a little narrow in attack I really like how spurs play. Poch will be a multi league winning manager.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement