Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

If Fergie was around, he'd be raiding a lot of the Spurs team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

blind spotted this morning with Lukaku still in his pocket

12923153_1201778843195450_7068467660373005670_n.jpg?oh=19a298967dae27c8a0f245c73be6a4f4&oe=57783CB5

• ElChe32 wrote: »
    Conte gone to Chelsea

Good, so Simeone is still an option

• bangkok wrote: »
    blind spotted this morning with Lukaku still in his pocket

12923153_1201778843195450_7068467660373005670_n.jpg?oh=19a298967dae27c8a0f245c73be6a4f4&oe=57783CB5

TBF to Lukaka he was completely isolated. Martinez is the man to blame yesterday if I were an Everton fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

bangkok wrote: »
    carrick is far from a liability, maybe he didn't have his best game yesterday but id say there aren't too many games in his United career where you could say that.

The Manchester derby 2 weeks ago he was excellent and saved us the win with a massive tackle on Bony that was guaranteed a goal.

His 10th season at the club, 408 games played at the heart of Midfield for Manchester United and the biggest compliment you can receive is from the players themselves and they are all high in their praise for Carrick

You mean a guaranteed attempted shot, right?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

Sign Zlatan in the summer for a year and then hope Spurs get pushed back down to 6th while we are in top 2. Try and get Kane and give him Rooneys no.10 jersey when he moves to Everton.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    TBF to Lukaka he was completely isolated. Martinez is the man to blame yesterday if I were an Everton fan

a bit like rooney has been for us all season and look at the abuse he has taken...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Sign Zlatan in the summer for a year and then hope Spurs get pushed back down to 6th while we are in top 2. Try and get Kane and give him Rooneys no.10 jersey when he moves to Everton.
    Highly doubt he'd sign for just a 12 month deal, but yeah on a 2-3 year one would be the best option. Obviously not a long term option, but his size and style of play would make me think he will continue to age well, and it would be nice to have a real world class forward/striker for the first time in years. Would also not only be a great compliment for Martial/Depay/Rashford, but they could all learn a boatload off the guy.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Highly doubt he'd sign for just a 12 month deal, but yeah on a 2-3 year one would be the best option. Obviously not a long term option, but his size and style of play would make me think he will continue to age well, and it would be nice to have a real world class forward/striker for the first time in years. Would also not only be a great compliment for Martial/Depay/Rashford, but they could all learn a boatload off the guy.

van Persie was world class, Rooney was world class.

Ibrahimovic will be 35 in October, no chance of him getting a 2-3 year contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Ibra could get a two year contract at any premier league club in my opinion. A 35 year old player who's never relied on pace and still playing the way he is, will be worthy of a two or three year deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

The current squad along with the youth players Varela, Borthwick-Jackson, Fosu-Mensah, Rashford are a decent squad with a manager that can get the best out of them. A CB, a worldy attacking CM plus a right sided M and maybe a goalscorer and I'd be happy. Who's to be let go from the current squad ? Carrick, Young, Valencia maybe ???

Both of those were years ago though, which was my point.

• The current squad along with the youth players Varela, Borthwick-Jackson, Fosu-Mensah, Rashford are a decent squad with a manager that can get the best out of them. A CB, a worldy attacking CM plus a right sided M and maybe a goalscorer and I'd be happy. Who's to be let go from the current squad ? Carrick, Young, Valencia maybe ???

Add Rojo to the list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Add Rojo to the list

Forgot Rojo

Both of those were years ago though, which was my point.

it would be great to see him in a United shirt for a season for sure but the difference between the French league and premier league is monstrous.
    They don't even have 1 tough game in the French league, every game in the premier league is a battle and Ibra wouldn't be the best battler around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/716997590500438016

Great to see Shaw back in training!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/716997590500438016

Great to see Shaw back in training!

great to see just hope he doesnt rush back, need him fit and strong for joses reign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Forgot Rojo
    never forget :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I'd hope for the best with Shaw but it's possible he won't come back the same player, as happened with Valencia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Korat wrote: »
    I'd hope for the best with Shaw but it's possible he won't come back the same player, as happened with Valencia.

Valencia came back from his leg break and had his best season at Utd!

Hes been utter muck the last few seasons but that has nothing to do with the injury he had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

You hear many players after a break talk about the mental side of things when it comes to a 50/50 tackle or even just a tackle.

They do say though a break is better then ligaments, so he should be ok in terms of his pace and explosiveness when he builds it back up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

My worry is more that he'll come back exactly the player he was, but everyone has hyped him up so much since he's gone. Moreso on Reddit than here, I've seen so many people argue he was an integral part of the team, and his absence was a massive blow to LVG's plans.

Its going to take him time to get back into the swing of things, but I hope too much pressure isn't put on him to come back as a world class player...

it would be great to see him in a United shirt for a season for sure but the difference between the French league and premier league is monstrous.
    They don't even have 1 tough game in the French league, every game in the premier league is a battle and Ibra wouldn't be the best battler around

The Premier League is of course tougher than France, but it's not as if he has been struggling in Europe (19 in 31) or internationally either. I'd rather that than spending £100mn+ on Kane. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get Kane, but I think it would be more beneficial to see that money go elsewhere if spent correctly with Zlatan brought in shorter term. It's not as if we're lacking for young potential up front (and potential that's already been delivering in 2 of 3 cases, still awaiting Depay).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Lord TSC wrote: »
    My worry is more that he'll come back exactly the player he was, but everyone has hyped him up so much since he's gone. Moreso on Reddit than here, I've seen so many people argue he was an integral part of the team, and his absence was a massive blow to LVG's plans.

Its going to take him time to get back into the swing of things, but I hope too much pressure isn't put on him to come back as a world class player...

you don't think so?

He was first choice left back before he got injured, and was central to the high pressing, high stamina game needed from a left back in that scenario - with the energetic Darmian on the opposite flank - it was clearly a plan of LVG to utilise quick pressing full backs and that has absolutely been missing this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Lord TSC wrote: »

It wasn't hype though, he started the season excellently. Maybe he wouldn't / couldn't have maintained that all season anyway, but that hypothetical doesn't detract from what he displayed.

It's doesn't excuse LVG though, because even if Shaw's loss was a blow, his plans shouldn't be so fragile that they hinge on one player.

Point is, if he comes back exactly the player he was, there'll be plenty of people calling him an integral part of the team. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

adox wrote: »
    Valencia came back from his leg break and had his best season at Utd!

Hes been utter muck the last few seasons but that has nothing to do with the injury he had.

You're right, for some reason I had it in my head his collapse in form was related to the ankle break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Neymars agent
    “Neymar has a contract with Barca until 2018,” Ribeiro told L’Equipe.
    “He feels good in Barcelona, he’s loved over there and he’s playing for the best team in the world. It’s no small feat to impose yourself at such an enormous club.
    “But the prospect of living in a city like Paris and to play for a club like PSG – that’s also a dream for every player.
    “We’ll see in two years, when he will be at the end of his contract.”
    A move could happen even before then, though, with Ribeiro acknowledging PSG are one of the few teams in the world capable of funding a move for the superstar player.
    “If PSG show an interest in Neymar, we can discuss it,” he said. “A contract can also be terminated provided that the release clause is paid.

**** football, its broken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

TheDoc wrote: »
    Neymars agent

to play for a club like PSG – that’s also a dream for every player.

LOL!

Of course it is, football is a career. Getting to the highest paid position in your chosen profession is typically a dream for most professionals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Of course it is, football is a career. Getting to the highest paid position in your chosen profession is typically a dream for most professionals.

Then he should have just said to earn the money that a club like PSG can afford to pay is a dream come true.

Then he should have just said to earn the money that a club like PSG can afford to pay is a dream come true.
    Then he becomes vilified instantly, because a lot of football fans seem to have no understanding that for football players, it's a career. They expect players to be loyal to the club through and through until death. Unless their form dips, in which case they can just f*** right off somewhere else.

Don't get me wrong, the hundreds of thousands going into their bank accounts weekly means that the double standard above is something we would all dive head first through a fifth floor window to 'suffer through', but at the end of the day it dictates how honest players can be about that kind of thing in public.

If Neymar came out and said "I want to go to PSG if they pay me more than Barca will" he would be given tonnes of abuse for lack of loyalty. But if he somehow overnight became Fred and had only a handful of goals in the next season or two, they'd be calling for him to be dropkicked out of there asap, because the truth is there is not much loyalty in football.

Then he becomes vilified instantly, because a lot of football fans seem to have no understanding that for football players, it's a career. They expect players to be loyal to the club through and through until death. Unless their form dips, in which case they can just f*** right off somewhere else.

Don't get me wrong, the hundreds of thousands going into their bank accounts weekly means that the double standard above is something we would all dive head first through a fifth floor window to 'suffer through', but at the end of the day it dictates how honest players can be about that kind of thing in public.

If Neymar came out and said "I want to go to PSG if they pay me more than Barca will" he would be given tonnes of abuse for lack of loyalty. But if he somehow overnight became Fred and had only a handful of goals in the next season or two, they'd be calling for him to be dropkicked out of there asap, because the truth is there is not much loyalty in football.

He could easily come out and say he wants to get on board with the "project" or something similar. Saying that it's a dream to play for a club like PSG is fair game to be lolled at as that poster did.

Oh and your first point there is just wrong. Loyalty in football has diminished as the money increased. It's a small minority that would think otherwise. This isn't some revelation you have uncovered.

He could easily come out and say he wants to get on board with the "project" or something similar. Saying that it's a dream to play for a club like PSG is fair game to be lolled at as that poster did.
    He didn't say it's always been a dream or anything though, he said it currently is a dream and would be for any player. Which is would be (well, for most players) as PSG currently represent perhaps the highest wage potential in the footballing world. If they went bankrupt overnight and let's say Metz become the 'new PSG' over the next few years, then getting signed by Metz would become most players dream club to play for (read: be paid by).

As for your second part, are you telling me if a player is not up to par game after game, season after season, that the fans will always (or at least used to) loyally stick by them regardless? That's a pretty naive assumption, to put it mildly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

BT Sport 1 is showing the United U21's vs Chelsea U21'ss soon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Mars Bar wrote: »

Nice one,was watching the MNF lads talking about the Pool Newcastle game from 20 years ago

A game that did Utd a great favour :D

• Advertisement

He didn't say it's always been a dream or anything though, he said it currently is a dream and would be for any player. Which is would be (well, for most players) as PSG currently represent perhaps the highest wage potential in the footballing world. If they went bankrupt overnight and let's say Metz become the 'new PSG' over the next few years, then getting signed by Metz would become most players dream club to play for (read: be paid by).

As for your second part, are you telling me if a player is not up to par game after game, season after season, that the fans will always (or at least used to) loyally stick by them regardless? That's a pretty naive assumption, to put it mildly.

No. You're going on about money being the biggest factor and loyalty being virtually nonexistent like nobody else has realised.

Mars Bar wrote: »

Is that echo on the channel or just my stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Is that echo on the channel or just my stream?

Ya I was getting it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Give Zlatan a year contract with an option for another, it's a 12 million punt give or take. If it doesn't work out it won't bankrupt us but it has the potential to be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Give Zlatan a year contract with an option for another, it's a 12 million punt give or take. If it doesn't work out it won't bankrupt us but it has the potential to be great.

It would be a total waste of money. 35 year old Zlatan will not be dragging that team and manager to any sort of glory in the one or two seasons he has left, every hypothetical penny spent on him should have been put towards somebody who will still be there when the team finally does get its act together.

And that even assumes that the soon to be 35 year old striker could settle in the PL at all.

Who is next after Zlatan? Get Pirlo and Xavi to sort our midfield? Seriously, we don't need yesterdays superstars, we need tomorrows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Phil Jones looks injured again.

Time for him to see the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Phil Jones looks injured again.

Time for him to see the door.

On one hand he is still only 24 and could still mature as a good defender.

On the other hand, a big club like ours should be looking for the very best young players and I'm not sure that includes a player who can't get onto the field. It hurts us as a club to keep ticking along hoping players like Jones will someday magically transform into a world class player, I think we need to be more ruthless in that regard. He is five seasons in the first team and we can't rely upon him, time to cut him loose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Is Borthwick Jackson playing? Would love to see him back in the first team now he's hopefully fit again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Zlatan would be worth a punt. No transfer fee and he would shift stupid amounts of merchandise so I wouldn't worry about it costing us damn all in the long run.

Would be hard to see him accepting non CL football for his final hurrah though.

I could see him joining the Arse.

It would be a short term fix though which is what we need at the moment. If we got him and someone like Lukaka Id be very happy. Him on his own, not so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Is Borthwick Jackson playing? Would love to see him back in the first team now he's hopefully fit again.

Yhh he is and full of energy too i really like him playing. Weir looks like such an exciting prospect too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

On one hand he is still only 24 and could still mature as a good defender.

On the other hand, a big club like ours should be looking for the very best young players and I'm not sure that includes a player who can't get onto the field. It hurts us as a club to keep ticking along hoping players like Jones will someday magically transform into a world class player, I think we need to be more ruthless in that regard. He is five seasons in the first team and we can't rely upon him, time to cut him loose.

He has just been subbed but not due to injury he got a decent run out. I think he should get an extended run in the u21s for rest of season and if he dont injure himself on summer holidays build him up for pre season.

LVG is watching on tonight he really don't look like a manager thats going anywhere in a hurry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Absolute horse **** regarding his battling. Go read his book. God your opinions.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Back from OT today,for all the criticism of Blind at CB,he gave an exhibition yesterday.His positioning and reading of the game was second to none.
    Carrick was abysmal,got caught dwelling on the ball or simply gave it away time and again.
    At least I got to see the winner up close as I was level with the pitch almost behind the goal,however what was really noticeable was how the atmosphere was so flat,I never experienced that level of apathy from the crowd before even if we were losing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

sanches.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Hopefully we a good translation of that soon

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement