Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'd let him stay in Portugal for another year anyway, then see how he is, maybe he would be ready to come in to the team, maybe a loan to a Prem team would be good then.

I like the look of him, but he does a lot of strolling around too, and seems to only play in bursts. This could be due to his age, this could be due to a lazy attitude, like Yaya for example. Will need to see him a fair bit more to know, only really paid close attention this season.

Could turn out like Martial of course, and look to be getting stronger as he goes on in England and making the transition with relative ease.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I'd let him stay in Portugal for another year anyway, then see how he is, maybe he would be ready to come in to the team, maybe a loan to a Prem team would be good then.

I like the look of him, but he does a lot of strolling around too, and seems to only play in bursts. This could be due to his age, this could be due to a lazy attitude, like Yaya for example. Will need to see him a fair bit more to know, only really paid close attention this season.

Could turn out like Martial of course, and look to be getting stronger as he goes on in England and making the transition with relative ease.

I couldn't help but notice this for the Bayern goal, strolling around the edge of the box. he then turned and strolled back to the half way line as if he hadn't a care in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

brinty wrote: »
    Lvg can't ruin him when he's not there 😋😎

Ahh he will be there alright :( club are delighted with the work he is doing in the background seemingly.... See how the new pitches and reduced pre-season has helped our injury problems :):):)

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

Didn't de telegraf say LVG was staying? Has to be bull**** because if he doesn't get 4th he'll have to go just like Moyes did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Martial, who has 13 goals this season, has revealed he is keen to repay Dutchman Van Gaal.

"As long as the current coach is there, I don't think about it," he told France Football when asked about the speculation.

"If Mourinho must arrive, he will arrive. For the moment the coach is still there.

"Every coach has their good and bad sides. Van Gaal has given me a lot of confidence and I try hard to pay it back to him every day."

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    Martial, who has 13 goals this season, has revealed he is keen to repay Dutchman Van Gaal.

"As long as the current coach is there, I don't think about it," he told France Football when asked about the speculation.

"If Mourinho must arrive, he will arrive. For the moment the coach is still there.

"Every coach has their good and bad sides. Van Gaal has given me a lot of confidence and I try hard to pay it back to him every day."

Your a day behind :):):) but in fairness he dont dodge questions that chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

zerks wrote: »

I think this is a load of crap they are notbgoing to leave it until the final weeks of the season to make a decision on him.

Other clubs are changing manager and have them in place and looking at transfers for next season but united can't even decide what manager they want??

I think the decision has already been made and if he is going they won't announce it until we have nothing to play for because of what happened to city but personally myself I think the decision is made already and he is staying and if he stays we are definitely going to have giggs in charge next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

jayo26 wrote: »
    I think this is a load of crap they are notbgoing to leave it until the final weeks of the season to make a decision on him.

Other clubs are changing manager and have them in place and looking at transfers for next season but united can't even decide what manager they want??

I think the decision has already been made and if he is going they won't announce it until we have nothing to play for because of what happened to city but personally myself I think the decision is made already and he is staying and if he stays we are definitely going to have giggs in charge next time.

I hope to god that's not true. If it is, the club is basically circling the drain.

I hope to god that's not true. If it is, the club is basically circling the drain.

Im usually wrong so I'm hoping that trend continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,871 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What from here on in counts as a successful season in terms of LVG keeping his job for the final year of his contract ? Win the FA Cup and get 4th ? If he achieved that he would have a reasonable claim in his eyes to stay on. As regards Mourinho... The club are probably seeing what happens with LVG and banking on Mourinho hanging out for the offer of United. We all know he wants the job and has limited other options at this point in time.

Strumms wrote: »
    What from here on in counts as a successful season in terms of LVG keeping his job for the final year of his contract ? Win the FA Cup and get 4th ?

There's nothing he can do from here that would justify him being kept on tbh. That point is long passed. If the club give him a 3rd year, then it's hopeless; we're going to do a Liverpool.

There's nothing he can do from here that would justify him being kept on tbh. That point is long passed. If the club give him a 3rd year, then it's hopeless; we're going to do a Liverpool.

a top 4 finish and an FA cup win and the club would make it very hard for the club to sack him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

We were supposed to be improving on fourth position this season, so unless a miracle happens and we get second or third, he definitely should go, irrespective of how we do in the FA Cup, imo.

bangkok wrote: »
    a top 4 finish and an FA cup win and the club would make it very hard for the club to sack him

How so? Two consecutive 4th place finishes ought to be considered a very poor outcome for Man United. That's before you consider the state of the results in Europe and the performances in general.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

1. I don't think we'll win the FA Cup. I reckon West Ham put us out next match.

2. The goal for this season was a title challenge. That was not only what fans asked for this season, its what the club were happy to talk about as well. If it was even a comfortable 4th place finish, it would be one thing. But we're looking, for the second year in a row, at barely scrapping forth. No real reason to think if he stuck round next year, we'd do anything but fight for that Top 4 place again.

It's mad. Some journos have Mourinho already all but wearing a United hoodie out scouting new talent for the club. Some have put their reps on the line (Gianluca DiMarzio) in stating it as 100% fact that he will be there come Summer. Then you have the Telegraf saying that LVG will definitely be here next season and has a budget for the Summer window.

All the while, we can't even take a bit of hope out of beating City and Everton and rightfully so - We've seen LVG's United beat such teams during his reign only to completely trip over themselves in the next match against someone like Norwich or West Brom.

L8NKm53.gif

• astradave wrote: »
    I have no doubt that he would step up, it was more a general point, not a pop at you, about their footballing "Philosophies" being very similar and that some people would want Simeone but turn their noses up at Jose from a footballing point of view.

About the trusting youths point, i have said it before, and i do believe that Jose has no problem with trusting youth players if he believes they are good enough,he has shown that throughout his career, Duff and Robben where both young players in his first Chelsea stint, Jese was brought into the first team with Real, and the likes of Zouma and Courtois were trusted as recently as this season. Its more about not developing in the academy with him whereas I do believe Simeone has a good track record of bringing players through.

Never thought it was dave :)

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    1. I don't think we'll win the FA Cup. I reckon West Ham put us out next match.

2. The goal for this season was a title challenge. That was not only what fans asked for this season, its what the club were happy to talk about as well. If it was even a comfortable 4th place finish, it would be one thing. But we're looking, for the second year in a row, at barely scrapping forth. No real reason to think if he stuck round next year, we'd do anything but fight for that Top 4 place again.

I would agree but I think fans should prepare themselves....

In the unlikely event LVG keeps his job because of a top 3 finish and an FA Cup......

Funny thing is would fans be happy if that was achieved? It's a bit of a mind **** but again an unlikely scenario.

Beers had an interview in Dubai last night where he apparently said this.. there is a bit about it circling on twitter.

https://twitter.com/MUnitedHome/status/717466787340795909

• Advertisement

How so? Two consecutive 4th place finishes ought to be considered a very poor outcome for Man United. That's before you consider the state of the results in Europe and the performances in general.

yes it is poor, but there's no doubt the injury list that we had this season will be taken into consideration and it would be an achievement in itself if we were to finish top 4 now.

By the way, I don't think we will finish top 4, Jose Mourinho WILL take over this summer and LVG will retire in Portugal with the missus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

astradave wrote: »
    Beers had an interview in Dubai last night where he apparently said this.. there is a bit about it circling on twitter.

https://twitter.com/MUnitedHome/status/717466787340795909

Speaking from experience ....that isn't gonna happen :P

Soby wrote: »

Sorry to hear that you failed to impress Jose mate :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I think we will win the Fa cup if we get past west ham but i just dont see that happening at all.

If it somehow happens that an fa cup win and top 4 lvg is certain to stay. It wouldnt suprise me if lvg would step down if he won the fa cup as he could say he ended his career as a winner and on his own terms.+

Soby wrote: »

I have to laugh at this from Chelsea fans, its not Jose that didnt bring threw kids it's your club. The last proper youth player ye had was Terry and he is retiring soon.

It's the same with madrid they rarely bring threw kids they buy them and jose played a few younger ones when he was there albeit not much.

When he was at inter he gave a few a chance and at Porto he brought threw some good kids too if the coach is hired and told to improve the youths or try play kids im sure they will look to the youths.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I would agree but I think fans should prepare themselves....

In the unlikely event LVG keeps his job because of a top 3 finish and an FA Cup......

Funny thing is would fans be happy if that was achieved? It's a bit of a mind **** but again an unlikely scenario.

I just cannot imagine another season of LVG. Like...the thought just makes me so, so depressed. Not even angry. Just sad about the thought of having to sit through another year of the dross, while we let a genuine world class manager slip away.

If we much up a second attempt at signing Jose....I don't know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Oh there are some mitigating factors which could unfortunately see them justify keeping him on for next year. Hell even I would start to convince myself it might get better next year!

The trigger should have been pulled a long time ago.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

h_00752917.jpg

Bestie at the 66 World Cup Final sitting beside Mike Summerbee!

• Advertisement

Mourinho agent set to speak with Woodward about Manchester United manager's role
    Jorge Mendes will speak to Ed Woodward later this week amid speculation Man Utd could stick with Louis van Gaal and renege on plans to install Jose Mourinho as manager.

Full story here (M.E.N)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

The more detail coming out makes me think Louis will be here next season. Unless Jose comes in and he takes over in some kind of DoF role (as others here have suggested) but would he want something like this as he has apparently turned down a role with the Dutch FA? Interesting....

And let us not forget the Giggs media machine

http://independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/manchester-united/louis-van-gaal-seen-as-a-grandpa-by-younger-players-who-want-ryan-giggs-as-manager-34599499.html
    A number of Manchester United’s younger players see Louis van Gaal as a ‘grandpa’ and want assistant manager Ryan Giggs to replace him at Old Trafford next season, according to a report by the Daily Mail.
    “He [Van Gaal] doesn’t speak to the young players and Giggs and [Under 21 manager Warren] Joyce are the only ones who want to encourage the young lads,” a source told the Mail.
    “A lot of them would be very happy if Giggs took over because the players can relate to him. They can’t relate to Van Gaal – he’s too old.”
    Former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has been widely tipped to take over at Old Trafford should Van Gaal leave the club at the end of the season.
    The younger group of players, however, are “unsure” about Mourinho, who has a poor track record of promoting youth players to the first-team

Can't relate to him, he's too old.

What a bag of shyte. Daily Mail! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Hilarious nonsense. Martial had just given a direct quote about how appreciative he is to LVG. He'd hardly brining in young players without speaking to them. Absolute nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

I didn't read the full article (your quotes were enough :) ) That seems like a BS story, I don't see how he doesn't speak to the young players when he has given so many young players debuts since he took over (yes, many were due to necessity however many have been given a run of games intermittenty).

Does he just sent telepathic messages when he wants them to play? I just don't see how a manager with such a reputation for encouraging young players does not speak to these players.

• Advertisement

I didn't read the full article (your quotes were enough :) ) That seems like a BS story, I don't see how he doesn't speak to the young players when he has given so many young players debuts since he took over (yes, many were due to necessity however many have been given a run of games intermittenty).

Does he just sent telepathic messages when he wants them to play? I just don't see how a manager with such a reputation for encouraging young players does not speak to these players.

Did they interview the U12s or something? Only thing I can think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I've seen this type of thing said a good bit though. LVG concentrates on the first team and when a player is needed he asks Joyce and giggs who should be promoted, because he doesn't pay enough attention himself to the under 21 training or games.

He will obviously talk to them when they are training and working with the first team, but seemingly there is little to no interaction with them outside of first team situations

Which, it should be pointed out, is possibly not bad management. Giggs and especially Joyce (obviously) have more involvement with the young players, should LVG need to interact with them outside of the first team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Would giggs ever just fudge off now...

The young players relate to him me arse....

Time for Woodward and the Glazers to start dictating things. I'm CEO/ Chairman and this is what I want. Mourinho and Berta will handle the football side. I/we handle business and that's the model we'll operate under.

If you don't like it fudge off and here's a P45

3 years of stagnation since Fergie departed, time we grabbed the bull by the horns and got realistic about things and stopped running things how they were run previously

Failure means trying the same things over and over and expecting different result...

Wasn't Berta supposed to make a decision on his future around Easter time? Anyone hear anything?

Wasn't Berta supposed to make a decision on his future around Easter time? Anyone hear anything?

I saw a story a few days back about who Atletico were lining up as a replacement IF it happened.

Reality is, if it is happening, they won't announce till the same time as Jose, given it would be a clear indicator of LVGs future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

In the nightmare scenario that Van Gaal is given another season because he gets top 4 it would indicate that those in charge do not care at all about winning as long as the champions league money keeps coming in.

I think it's just the papers milking the current uncertainty around the job, Mourinho has been done to death they need a fresh angle so Van Gaal staying on is what will sell the papers, at least I hope.

If we did make top four it would make it a bit more bearable if he did stay it would almost certainly be better then him staying and finishing fifth I'm think in that case scenario it would show the club has totally lost the plot all together.

If we did make top four it would make it a bit more bearable if he did stay it would almost certainly be better then him staying and finishing fifth I'm think in that case scenario it would show the club has totally lost the plot all together.

Zero chance he stays if we don't get Top 4. Moyes has already set that precedent, and the club had way more invested in Moyes than in LVG. I'd say the second Top 4 is mathematically impossible, he'll be out the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Scraping into top four would in no way justify the crap job Louis Van Gaal has done at this club.

The board should not need any formal league placing to make an assessment of his time at the club, its just a number when set against the disgraceful performances we have seen over the past two seasons. Its not a marginal call, its very obvious and if the board do need to know the final league place before making a decision then they are ****ing idiots who know nothing about football.

Keeping Van Gaal simply because he won the FA cup and so we felt we had to would one of the worst executive decisions imaginable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

i can't watch another season of Van Gaal.
    So so boring to watch. A team of Mediocrity. About to watch Champions League Q Finals a night we used to be involved in year after year. This has been going on years now. When athletico Bilbao destroyed us in 2011 or 12 in the Europa we have gone downhill since
    The Premiership has gone downhill so much

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Zero chance he stays if we don't get Top 4. Moyes has already set that precedent, and the club had way more invested in Moyes than in LVG. I'd say the second Top 4 is mathematically impossible, he'll be out the door.

But he put hedges around the training pitches and installed round tables. :)

hope ye are all right but im not so confident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The Premier league will be back, with all the best managers flocking here and the umpteen billions flooding in then the best players will eventually follow and the teams will improve.

Which is why we cannot afford to have our board be so utterly blind to whats happening, we can so easily find ourselves left behind.

i can't watch another season of Van Gaal.
    So so boring to watch. A team of Mediocrity. About to watch Champions League Q Finals a night we used to be involved in year after year. This has been going on years now. When athletico Bilbao destroyed us in 2011 or 12 in the Europa we have gone downhill since

Just because we're **** it dont mean the premierleague as a spectacle has gone backwards.

I think this year has been the most entertaining year in the past ten years and yhh the quality might not be there this year but that only counts in Europe the actual games in the premierleague are hard to predict.

Look at France the league wrapped up already, Germany only for dortmund clinging on that would be wrapped up. Italy juventus had a terrible start only for that they would be miles ahead. Spain has the same top 3 teams again.

The Premier league will be back, with all the best managers flocking here and the umpteen billions flooding in then the best players will eventually follow and the teams will improve.

Which is why we cannot afford to have our board be so utterly blind to whats happening, we can so easily find ourselves left behind.

The top players will never come to Manchester. Never have never will. The weather is one of the biggest drAwbacks to it......I don't ever rem a top player coming to Utd that other top teams wanted. We wanted Vidal(he went to s top side) so we got a slow past it 31 year old here for the money....it gave me great pleasure not been bullied by Madrid over DDG. We don't want any of their so called stars that they want rid off. Kroos had a chance to sign for us and he turned it down when moyes was here. Schneiderlin needs to step up big time....

Just because we're **** it dont mean the premierleague as a spectacle has gone backwards.

I think this year has been the most entertaining year in the past ten years and yhh the quality might not be there this year but that only counts in Europe the actual games in the premierleague are hard to predict.

Look at France the league wrapped up already, Germany only for dortmund clinging on that would be wrapped up. Italy juventus had a terrible start only for that they would be miles ahead. Spain has the same top 3 teams again.

Spectacle I am enjoying leicster and Spurs but going into Europe I know we have no chance even before a ball is kicked....been like that years. Fergie took eye of the ball when he didn't sort the midfield.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement